PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Pinnacle

CBedo
08-18-2009, 10:45 PM
I had to drive to Detroit to pick up some furniture (the things you'll do for a girl...), and decided to take in a day at Pinnacle on Saturday, which happened to be the Michigan Breeders Cup Day with a whopping 20k stakes race, lol.

First off, at least it was free parking and free admission. They actually have built a first class simulcast facility with a never-ending double bank of flatscreens plus individual tvs at each station. The number of tellers/machines seemed lacking, but it seemed that most of the patrons wanted to stand in line to use the tellers so I never had to wait to use a machine.

As far as the live racing, it appears that they never got anywhere close to finishing the original design. In fact, the facility isn't even near the finish line. I think they were supposed to build a grandstand down near the finish line, but haven't, so for now, when the horses pass you, they still have a 1/16th or so to the finish line. The "temp" tote board in the infield is the smallest I've ever seen and some of the odds are blocked depending on where you are viewing it from. It contains no pool data, and doesn't even show the payoffs. If you want any of that information, you have to go inside to see it on a tv hopefully. Also, you can't hear the announcer outside, so watching the races outside in the sunshine is almost impossible. The good news was that the concession stand was one girl working a bbq grill and a beer tap which happened to be cold and cheap.

Overall, I had a few winners a good day with friends, and am glad that I got to cross this off my tracks I haven't been to list, but still left wondering why they built this facility in the first place. Building a new track is questionable enough, but building one in Detroit seems insane.

P.S. I know jockeys are small men (or women), but I swear one of the jockeys there (didn't catch the name) was a "little person," or whatever we are supposed to call midgets these days.

LottaKash
08-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Cbedo....Nice rundown on Pinnacle, very informative....Especially the "cold-beer" part...:jump:

best,

michiken
08-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Our great governor cancelled many of the racing dates for all of Michigan's horse tracks due to budget cuts. Many rumors say that Pinnacle and Northville Downs will be out of business by next year.

post time
08-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Sad state of horse racing.Would think pinnacle is doomed with ohio getting slots .To bad u did not hear the call of the races,they have one of the best announcers in the country.

CBedo
08-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Sad state of horse racing.Would think pinnacle is doomed with ohio getting slots .To bad u did not hear the call of the races,they have one of the best announcers in the country.You could hear him fine if you were inside sitting at the bar, and I've heard him many times on simulcast (Pinnacle has been very good to me this year). You just couldn't hear him at all if you were outisde trying to watch the races.

It is sad that they will probably go out of business, but I don't understand why it was built in the first place. From what someone there told me, it was supposed to be part of a much bigger development deal that included retail, commercial, and residential. Whoever thought that was going to be a good idea in the Detroit area?

garyoz
08-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Our great governor cancelled many of the racing dates for all of Michigan's horse tracks due to budget cuts. Many rumors say that Pinnacle and Northville Downs will be out of business by next year.

It's too bad. I grew up at Hazel Park and DRC. Many great memories. Detroit used to be a semi-signficant circuit in the '50's and '60s (and at the Fairgrounds in the 40's--). They used to have a 3:30 first post to catch the end of the first shift at the auto plants.

Sorry that I never made it to Pinnacle--would watch the simo races and seemed like a nice place with terrible purses.

Ian Meyers
08-19-2009, 09:26 PM
I enjoyed playing PNL this year and think the track announcer is first rate. I am saddened that it might not survive, but I too wondered how on earth it got built to begin with given the failures of Hazel Park and DRC and the track in Romulus that MECA never got built.

I would expect a dozen or so closings over the next year unless handle picks-up.