PDA

View Full Version : Paulick rips Equibase a new one!

Grits
08-18-2009, 10:50 AM
LOLOL

Sorry for the thread header, but, truthfully, after reading, its certainly the case. Paulick's dead on the money, correct. Equibase protects, hoards, and sells all of its information, none of which is as helpful for the sport, as the money rolling in, is helpful for the Jockey Club coffers.

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/equibase-strikes-out/

I really am starting to question, sorta like Slewis, how beneficial is the Phipps family and the Jockey Club to the sport of horseracing???

Somebody needs to clean house. Good for Paulick.

speed
08-18-2009, 11:23 AM
LOLOL

Sorry for the thread header, but, truthfully, after reading, its certainly the case. Paulick's dead on the money, correct. Equibase protects, hoards, and sells all of its information, none of which is as helpful for the sport, as the money rolling in, is helpful for the Jockey Club coffers.

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/equibase-strikes-out/

I really am starting to question, sorta like Slewis, how beneficial is the Phipps family and the Jockey Club to the sport of horseracing???

Somebody needs to clean house. Good for Paulick.

For years i have laughed at how many errors exist in the info we horse players receive. From incorrect timing of races to incorrect beaten lengths of runners. The amount of errors in the beaten lengths of horses is comical. There cannot possible be anyone who proofs these charts for mistakes. Sometimes they will have a horse back 12 at the half when he was only back 5. It astounds me how little Equibase cares.

The prices for our information go up while the quality of this information goes down.

I have called Equibase numerous times to alert them to drastic errors in there info. and they have never made a single correction.

macguy
08-18-2009, 12:49 PM
I've often seen equipment errors that I have noticed simply by chance.

More than once I've seen horses go to post with front bandages with no mention in the charts or PPs.

On occasion it will show horses racing on Lasix on British Columbia's Interior circuit, where no race day medication of any kind is allowed.

cj
08-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Lets keep this simple. For what we pay, the data should be much, much, MUCH better.

We should know accurate times at every point of call for every horse. Beaten lengths should be obsolete.

Still, if that is a stretch, there is no reason a chart maker can't watch the replay and get the damn things right. There is no reason to rush to get charts out. If you must have one right away, do an "unofficial" chart immediately, then work to get the chart right. Show up at 8am and do the previous day's work. You need 4 hours, you have it. Work until 5 or the last race is over, whatever. There really is no excuse. What we have is incompetence, complacency, or probably a mix of both.

Watcher
08-18-2009, 04:33 PM
This is nothing new. The racing industry has not adapted to the current era or the technology advances it offers. The industry needs younger management from other gaming/entertainment industry backgrounds.

LottaKash
08-18-2009, 04:44 PM
This is nothing new. The racing industry has not adapted to the current era or the technology advances it offers. The industry needs younger management from other gaming/entertainment industry backgrounds.

No, they just need our "money"..... = They say: "FTP"... (an acronym for " F--- the Players ")

best,

46zilzal
08-18-2009, 05:23 PM
On occasion it will show horses racing on Lasix on British Columbia's Interior circuit, where no race day medication of any kind is allowed.

Having just discussed that very thing this AM with a trainer on the backstretch THAT IS NOT TRUE. They can, but rarely use Lasix as it is too expensive relative to the purse.

macguy
08-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Having just discussed that very thing this AM with a trainer on the backstretch THAT IS NOT TRUE. They can, but rarely use Lasix as it is too expensive relative to the purse.

46zilzal, I had no idea that was the case.
I was always under the assumption that Lasix was not allowed on the "B" circuit.

That's good to know.

I think in all the time I've watched the races up there I can think of only about 2 or 3 cases where I've seen horses run on Lasix. It happened so rarely, I assumed it was a clerical error, rather than a truism.

46zilzal
08-18-2009, 06:02 PM
I think in all the time I've watched the races up there I can think of only about 2 or 3 cases where I've seen horses run on Lasix. It happened so rarely, I assumed it was a clerical error, rather than a truism.
You bet on Larry Lacoursiere and April Freisen? Wow never bet them once and in 30 years plus cannot remember a "B" circuit horse winning here.

macguy
08-18-2009, 06:10 PM
You bet on Larry Lacoursiere and April Freisen? Wow never bet them once and in 30 years plus cannot remember a "B" circuit horse winning here.

...Not too sure what you're getting at...
I didn't say anything about betting on the horses...

I simply stated that when reading the charts and PPs, as far as I can remember, I have only ever seen 2-3 horses reporting that they use Lasix on the interior circuit. In fact in the chart for the 6th race on Saturday Dancewitharanger is reported as using Lasix.

InsideThePylons-MW
08-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Years ago, a guy I knew who was 100% competent at charting etc. was asked by equibase or inquired to them about an opening at a CA track. He was making $175 a day doing something else at the track. Equibase offered him like $85 a day (I'm real close) to do all the charting, input and some other crap. How could they expect somebody competent at $400 a week base pay who lives in CA?

They ended up finding someone who had never done charts before. Needless to say his work was completely incompetent but they didn't care.

sandpit
08-18-2009, 08:56 PM
I know a guy that makes his living betting the Kentucky circuit. For many years, he has made his own charts for Keeneland, Churchill and Ellis. I asked him why he did it, and he told me the guy that made the charts was so bad that they were basically unusable. He said he did use the Turfway charts because they had a different guy there and he was pretty accurate.

illinoisbred
08-18-2009, 09:11 PM
Whoever does Hawthorne can't read the teletimer.He/She consistently records incorrect fractional and final times.Also, never a mention of timer malfunctions which occur often in dirt and turf routes.When a handtimed time is given its usually wrong according to 2-3 stopwatch timings I do on all routes and turf races there.

Donnie
08-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Ok, no disrespect to anyone here, but someone needs to ask =

"who cares?"

cj
08-18-2009, 09:36 PM
You should. Data is expensive.

Space Monkey
08-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Still, if that is a stretch, there is no reason a chart maker can't watch the replay and get the damn things right. There is no reason to rush to get charts out. If you must have one right away, do an "unofficial" chart immediately, then work to get the chart right. Show up at 8am and do the previous day's work. You need 4 hours, you have it. Work until 5 or the last race is over, whatever. There really is no excuse. What we have is incompetence, complacency, or probably a mix of both.

Couldn't agree more. Back in the day (way back), if I missed a day I could read the charts and "visualize" the race. The charts were written so well that I could basically trip handicap without even seeing the race. Now, the biggest advantage I get is seeing a bad trip live and then going to the chart and hoping they missed it. Usually they do :) :ThmbUp: So in effect, the charts have become an anti-info tool. :bang:

Space Monkey
08-18-2009, 10:06 PM
One more thing. Why do they feel they have to get the chart out in such a short time? To the best of my knowledge, I haven't seen too many horses run on consecutive days :rolleyes:

takeout
08-19-2009, 01:37 AM
On the disappointment scale, Equibase ranks right up there with slots.

Donnie
08-19-2009, 07:02 AM
CJ-
That's exactly my point. It is not only expensive in it's intial cost, but if it is not accurate, it's also costing you at the track, or the time a person takes correcting the data themselves. If you TRULLY care, you either complain enough till they fix it on their end, or you go find something better.

Red Knave
08-19-2009, 09:26 AM
CJ-
If you TRULY care, you either complain [...] or you go find something better.cj has done both.