PDA

View Full Version : Disc Golf

dav4463
08-18-2009, 12:25 AM
Anyone here play disc golf? It is a really fun sport. I started playing about a year ago and never knew that there were so many people who are so into it. Also, it is really cheap to play...which is good. Some of the really good players hit some amazing shots. I got hooked on the game when I nailed my first 200 foot shot! I still haven't had an ace yet, but I am getting close!

Fwizard
08-18-2009, 12:21 PM
We have a park near us that has an 18 (hole) course --That place is PACKED on the weekends ---I tried once with a regular frisbee and found out there was some skill to it....(which I don't have). The good news is that you walk for every hole so there is an excerise benefit to it.

LottaKash
08-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Can anyone explain the game to us "ignorants"....First I've heard of it..

How long are the courses...rules of the game...equipment or skills needed to play etc...???

Sounds like a "game" that old-timers like me, could play a round or two in doing ...:jump:

best,

DJofSD
08-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Anyone here play disc golf? It is a really fun sport. I started playing about a year ago and never knew that there were so many people who are so into it. Also, it is really cheap to play...which is good. Some of the really good players hit some amazing shots. I got hooked on the game when I nailed my first 200 foot shot! I still haven't had an ace yet, but I am getting close!
OK. Get ready. Here it comes from another thread.

Is disc golf a sport? Or is it a game?

dav4463
08-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Can anyone explain the game to us "ignorants"....First I've heard of it..

How long are the courses...rules of the game...equipment or skills needed to play etc...???

Sounds like a "game" that old-timers like me, could play a round or two in doing ...:jump:

best,

www.pdga.com

It is played exactly like golf. You throw a disc into a chain basket. There are drivers, mid-range discs and putters. There are some discs that are designed to go straight, some are designed to curve, and some are for more or less distance depending on the hole. As a beginner, all you really need is a good mid-range disc. There are quite a few youtube videos that teach you the best techniques and strategy.

As for exercise, many players play a "chuck and chase" game. You throw the disc, run to where it lands, throw again and run to it again until you make the hole. Then you run to the next tee. If you run 18 holes a couple of times, it is a serious workout. I myself, prefer to walk!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43F-tExi69E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFtqdpKilH0&feature=related

LottaKash
08-18-2009, 07:03 PM
www.pdga.com (http://www.pdga.com/)

It is played exactly like golf. You throw a disc into a chain basket. There are drivers, mid-range discs and putters. There are some discs that are designed to go straight, some are designed to curve, and some are for more or less distance depending on the hole. As a beginner, all you really need is a good mid-range disc. There are quite a few youtube videos that teach you the best techniques and strategy.

As for exercise, many players play a "chuck and chase" game. You throw the disc, run to where it lands, throw again and run to it again until you make the hole. Then you run to the next tee. If you run 18 holes a couple of times, it is a serious workout. I myself, prefer to walk!

Sounds like fun to me...I will look and ask around here, and see if something like this is available in this area....

Is the course the lengths and distances as a "real" golf course..???

THx, for the teaser...

best,

dav4463
08-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Here is a great site for disc golf. It has a forum plus a course directory. You can look up any course in the country to see what is close to you.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/

LottaKash
08-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Here is a great site for disc golf. It has a forum plus a course directory. You can look up any course in the country to see what is close to you.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/

Thx, Dave, we'll see...

Just looked it up, there are three in Ocala...thx again...:jump:
best,

sandpit
08-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Sounds like fun to me...I will look and ask around here, and see if something like this is available in this area....

Is the course the lengths and distances as a "real" golf course..???

THx, for the teaser...

best,

I think the holes are far shorter in general. The longest one on the course nearest me is about 200 yards.

It is really fun to play. Many years ago when I was a teenager, before we had a course in this area, my buddies and I created our own using the streetlight poles as the "holes". Coincidentally enough, the place we played was a big loop street that had exactly 18 streetlights!

LottaKash
08-18-2009, 10:20 PM
I think the holes are far shorter in general. The longest one on the course nearest me is about 200 yards.

It is really fun to play. Many years ago when I was a teenager, before we had a course in this area, my buddies and I created our own using the streetlight poles as the "holes". Coincidentally enough, the place we played was a big loop street that had exactly 18 streetlights!

Where have I been, as it seems that this game has been around for some time now....

Shucks, and I have always loved to throw stuff....:jump:

best,

dav4463
08-18-2009, 11:23 PM
The course I normally play has holes ranging from 180 feet to around 500 feet.

cj's dad
09-01-2009, 09:51 AM

Glad you and so many others enjoy the GAME !! Fun to play ?? Great !! Helps you stay in shape ?? Great !! Meet new people ?? Great !!

A sport ?? Hardly !