PDA

View Full Version : MR ...rules question ?

LottaKash
08-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Today I was perusing the Monticello Website, and under "fines & suspension" going a few lines down, stopping at 10/9/7 (that is the way is was listed), I noticed that Michael Forte was fined $250 for "Act Not in Best Interest of Harness Racing"...

Does anyone (Don) know what types of "acts" would be included within the spirit of this violation ?... I can only imagine....:eek:

go to:... http://www.monticelloraceway.com/index.php?id=71

best,

JBmadera
08-17-2009, 03:50 PM
losing, when I've bet on their horse......:jump: ; sorry, just being silly - I really don't know but given the news out of Oz, the UK etc, who knows!

jb

Ray2000
08-17-2009, 04:47 PM
LK

Similar to...
"Conduct Detrimental to Best Interest of Harness Racing"

Bobby Hunter at Raceway, Toledo got it for Reckless Driving
http://www.ustrotting.com/trackside/rulings/pdf/rulings-20090814.pdf

but my favorite is 7 days for Mitch McCarty for "..hanging up the phone in a loud manner, and slamming the door"...:lol:

kenwoodallpromos
08-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Painting white stripes on a black runner?

kenwoodallpromos
08-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Painting white stripes on a black runner? Slamming California Plubber on a horserace forum?

Pacingguy
08-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Today I was perusing the Monticello Website, and under "fines & suspension" going a few lines down, stopping at 10/9/7 (that is the way is was listed), I noticed that Michael Forte was fined $250 for "Act Not in Best Interest of Harness Racing"...

Does anyone (Don) know what types of "acts" would be included within the spirit of this violation ?... I can only imagine....:eek:

best,

Oh that can be a whole slew of things. He may have been caught wagering on a horse other than one he drove, did not drive to the finish, associated with some undesirables and a slew of other activities. My guess is if it was only a $250 fine it was not that serious an offense.

pandy
08-17-2009, 05:42 PM
It could even be talking to another driver before the race.

wilderness
08-17-2009, 10:54 PM
See the old Kevin Costner movie "Bull Durham" where he was ejected from the game for calling the ump a xxxxsucker.

badcompany
08-18-2009, 01:58 AM
Stiffing a horse without notifying the stewards, in advance.:eek:

beaucap
08-18-2009, 03:44 PM

best,

Another one on 02/24/09 Mark Beckwith.... "Act Not in Best Interest of Harness Racing" He recieved a $500.00 Fine. I think it's swearing at the horse.

LottaKash
08-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Another one on 02/24/09 Mark Beckwith.... "Act Not in Best Interest of Harness Racing" He recieved a $500.00 Fine. I think it's swearing at the horse.

Maybe he was swearing at the same one, I was....:D

Kidding aside, I remember when I was a groom at Monty,(mentioning, no names), a trainer friend of my boss', once closed the double doors in particular horse"s stable, and beat the clueless horse, with a baseball bat....If that were today, I would've blown the whistle on him....He was a trash trainer and couldn't train his way out of a paper bag....He is gone now, and I wonder how he lasted so long in the business (hint, he was connected)...:eek:

best,

beaucap
08-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Maybe he was swearing at the same one, I was....:D

Kidding aside, I remember when I was a groom at Monty,(mentioning, no names), a trainer friend of my boss', once closed the double doors in particular horse"s stable, and beat the clueless horse, with a baseball bat....If that were today, I would've blown the whistle on him....He was a trash trainer and couldn't train his way out of a paper bag....He is gone now, and I wonder how he lasted so long in the business (hint, he was connected)...:eek:

best,

There are 10,000 stories in the naked city, this has been one of them. LK you should of hit him with a baseball bat or a horse shoe. I guess you being a younger kid, i guess you wanted to mind your own business, because of course he was co..neck..did. You are correct when you mentioned trash trainers. There were a lot of them back then. I knew a couple of them myself. The Chicago area, and that area was as you say connected. :)

Pacingguy
08-19-2009, 07:42 AM
Looking at the NYSRWB website, here is the rule that was cited:

4119.9. Prohibited acts
(a) No licensee of the New York State Harness Racing Commission or any other person shall commit any act or conspire to commit any act, which, though not specified in this Subchapter, constitutes conduct detrimental to the best interests of racing or is in its nature fraudulent or corrupt or injurious to the character of the turf. Any such act or attempt, or conspiracy shall constitute a violation of this Subchapter and shall subject the licensee or such other persons to the penalties prescribed herein.

I would have to think for a $250.00 fine it can't be that serious an offense. The ruling was for an act as a trainer, not a driver.

FYI, you can look up NY Rulings at the following website; it gives the complete rulings. http://rulings.racing.state.ny.us/

Hanover1
08-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Looking at the NYSRWB website, here is the rule that was cited:

4119.9. Prohibited acts
(a) No licensee of the New York State Harness Racing Commission or any other person shall commit any act or conspire to commit any act, which, though not specified in this Subchapter, constitutes conduct detrimental to the best interests of racing or is in its nature fraudulent or corrupt or injurious to the character of the turf. Any such act or attempt, or conspiracy shall constitute a violation of this Subchapter and shall subject the licensee or such other persons to the penalties prescribed herein.

I would have to think for a $250.00 fine it can't be that serious an offense. The ruling was for an act as a trainer, not a driver.

FYI, you can look up NY Rulings at the following website; it gives the complete rulings. http://rulings.racing.state.ny.us/
Wonder if that includes telling the catch driver to: "Lets just give him a race or two before we ask him for to much." :lol: A comment I have used a ton of times and never got fined for......was I wrong??

LottaKash
08-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Wonder if that includes telling the catch driver to: "Lets just give him a race or two before we ask him for to much." :lol: A comment I have used a ton of times and never got fined for......was I wrong??

Hanover, wrong ?, I think NO....Hey, horses, like human athletes, and are not always ready to run or do their best at some juncture of their conditioning...

It would be foohardy to ask a horse for the absolute best of their ability, when they were physically unable to do so safely.....I put the emphasis on safely, for a reason....Any trainer worth his salt, knows that asking a horse for a superior performance, when not ready, is a surefire way to hurt the horse physically as well as mentally...

How many times have we seen a horse making his yearly or seasonal debut, and in the 1st or 2d start, give out a smashing performance, or else, a horse that has been racing regularly, and then runs an astounding mile, and then these horses are raced just as hard in their next race(s) and as a result, and as a consequence of that effort, the horse isn't seen or heard from for a good long time, or maybe never at that....There are some trainers that just don't get it, and they "crackdown" on their horses prematurely, or don't allow their horses to recover from an amzing mile.....

Sometimes, we as handicappers, expect too much from our "handicapping findings and decisions", perhaps believing and forgetting, that horses are not "machine-like", and aren't always ready to give their top effort in every race that it is entered in....

There are some trainers that can get a top performance at first asking from their horses....And then there are some, that just ruin their horses prematurely...It is good to know "who" these guys are...

best,

Hanover1
08-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Hanover, wrong ?, I think NO....Hey, horses, like human athletes, and are not always ready to run or do their best at some juncture of their conditioning...

It would be foohardy to ask a horse for the absolute best of their ability, when they were physically unable to do so safely.....I put the emphasis on safely, for a reason....Any trainer worth his salt, knows that asking a horse for a superior performance, when not ready, is a surefire way to hurt the horse physically as well as mentally...

How many times have we seen a horse making his yearly or seasonal debut, and in the 1st or 2d start, give out a smashing performance, or else, a horse that has been racing regularly, and then runs an astounding mile, and then these horses are raced just as hard in their next race(s) and as a result, and as a consequence of that effort, the horse isn't seen or heard from for a good long time, or maybe never at that....There are some trainers that just don't get it, and they "crackdown" on their horses prematurely, or don't allow their horses to recover from an amzing mile.....

Sometimes, we as handicappers, expect too much from our "handicapping findings and decisions", perhaps believing and forgetting, that horses are not "machine-like", and aren't always ready to give their top effort in every race that it is entered in....

There are some trainers that can get a top performance at first asking from their horses....And then there are some, that just ruin their horses prematurely...It is good to know "who" these guys are...

best,
Preaching to the pulpit my friend.....been in biz 35 years, and I know that if I were actually caught telling a catch driver to set with a horse, regardless of spin, or implications, some bonehead is gonna accuse me of a stiffjob. Harness does not post training miles, so bettors have NO idea how a horse prepares for his first or 80th start. Many other stats are left to chance for the bettor as well, such as how successful a trainer may be with FTS or maidens, ect....UDRS applies to the driver, and often trainer stat applies to current meet only. I will "give" a horse a race whenever it calls for it, but you CAN get in SERIOUS trouble if caught, even though explaination is easy.

LottaKash
08-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Hanover, I wasn't preaching anything....( I know sometimes I come across that way, but I assure you, that is not the case )

There are some players who are not in the same place, sportwise or handicapping wise, than perhaps you or I, and my hard learned info, is simply being shared to the ones who might not know as much about such things....

I get many PM's from people, thanking me for sharing my knowledge with them....Some people want to know more....And, what better place, to share our knowledge, skills and information than in a "forum" dedicated primarily to horses and horse racing ?..

best,

Hanover1
08-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Hanover, I wasn't preaching anything....( I know sometimes I come across that way, but I assure you, that is not the case )

There are some players who are not in the same place, sportwise or handicapping wise, than perhaps you or I, and my hard learned info, is simply being shared to the ones who might not know as much about such things....

I get many PM's from people, thanking me for sharing my knowledge with them....Some people want to know more....And, what better place, to share our knowledge, skills and information than in a "forum" dedicated primarily to horses and horse racing ?..

best,
I agree with you-I enjoy sharing with others, its what the sport thrives on-I am moderator on USTA bb and and SWAMPED with pm's from around the world as a result of working with HOF trainers for some 20yrs. As I mentioned earlier, I am switching to flats here soon, but will work both bb's as time permits. Still no answer from you in regards to your online name-are you former harness?? Not Clint Gailbreath are you??

harcapper
08-19-2009, 10:04 PM

Does anyone (Don) know what types of "acts" would be included within the spirit of this violation ?... I can only imagine..

Kash,

In most cases, this rule is used to fine someone for other then a race altering situation. Forte could have done as little as talked back to a steward or a racing board employee. As Pandy mentioned he might have been too chatty in the post parade which is not supposed to happen.

camfella
08-19-2009, 10:54 PM

best,
LK-you keep it up, you are doing a great job of sharing,good info,if it's an opinion that someone doesnt agree with ,here is the forum to air it!-CF

LottaKash
08-20-2009, 03:51 AM
Still no answer from you in regards to your online name-are you former harness?? Not Clint Gailbreath are you??

Sorry, about not responding to your follow up post to my question about Gerald Procino, I forgot all about it, after all, it was posted on the "dark-side" of this forum....haha

Not "former" I am Harness, and part-time T-bred (big races and events).... I am Not Clint Galbraith, tho.....I used to be associated with Mike Gagliardi (gone now)

Regarding Clint Galbraith, imo, he was the complete horseman, a great driver, trainer (horses always sharp and race ready, especially stakes ones), a breeder, owner, and spokesman for harness-racing....I used to watch his every move, and he proved himself to fans, time after time....He competed with the greats, Haughton, Dancer, O'Brien, Sholty, Chapman, and other greats that escape me for the moment & etc..and they all respected his horsmanship...

My avatar name "Lottakash" is taken from one of Galbraith"s horses....I made a bunch of money betting on that one...haha...

I recall, as a very young man, at Goshen's Historic Track, when you could still bet on all the races during the stakes and fair races that were held there for the annual summer meet, while having a conversation with the "then" official photographer for "Hoofbeats" magazine, George Smallsread, who was giving me some tips for taking better photographs of the races and the horses, and Clint interrupted that spell to ask George about some follow up photos for some of his horses...That is when I got to have a few brief words with Clint, I got a kick out of the way, he had of putting things....Nice guy.... Plus, that day, I got to take some photos of the races from a vantage point that few people ever get the opportunity to photograph from, thanks to George....I still have a couple of nice ones, hanging on the wall in my office...I really miss those days....

Racing was a hoot at Goshen....The Hall of Fame of the Trotter is right next door to the track....In fact if you were riding thru the town of Goshen, N.Y., you could ride by, never knowing that the oldest harness track in America, was hiding right behind all the buildings on the main thorofare....They served "beer" right out of the iced down galvanized tubs, right at trackside....Grandstand was always filled to capacity...and it was always a very festive affair.....They ran many races in heats, and if you marked down the info from the previous races you could have a real shot at making some money, in the finals...As there was so much going on, that if you didn't pay attention to who heated their way into the finals and what the fractions and finish positions were in the earlier heats, you wouldn't have a clue as to who to bet....I didn't know much about handicapping in those days, but I always did very well, during the two-weeks at Goshen....

Wow, this has gotten wayoff of the thread...I get carried away, when I am reminded of some of the old names in Harness....Heck, I'm old(er)...:jump:

Great racing memories tho....:jump:

best,

Pacingguy
08-20-2009, 07:30 AM
[QUOTE=LottaKash]Regarding Clint Galbraith, imo, he was the complete horseman, a great driver, trainer (horses always sharp and race ready, especially stakes ones), a breeder, owner, and spokesman for harness-racing....I used to watch his every move, and he proved himself to fans, time after time....He competed with the greats, Haughton, Dancer, O'Brien, Sholty, Chapman, and other greats that escape me for the moment & etc..and they all respected his horsmanship...

Racing was a hoot at Goshen....The Hall of Fame of the Trotter is right next door to the track....In fact if you were riding thru the town of Goshen, N.Y., you could ride by, never knowing that the oldest harness track in America, was hiding right behind all the buildings on the main thorofare....They served "beer" right out of the iced down galvanized tubs, right at trackside....Grandstand was always filled to capacity...and it was always a very festive affair.....They ran many races in heats, and if you marked down the info from the previous races you could have a real shot at making some money, in the finals...As there was so much going on, that if you didn't pay attention to who heated their way into the finals and what the fractions and finish positions were in the earlier heats, you wouldn't have a clue as to who to bet....I didn't know much about handicapping in those days, but I always did very well, during the two-weeks at Goshen....
QUOTE]

Continuing off thread. I still go to Goshen, though no betting the grandstand is still full on the 4th of July weekend.

Speaking of complete horsemen, I used to always admire Eldon Harner and Abe Stolzfus. Both of them never sent a horse to the Meadowlands just to race. They may not have always won, but you knew they didn't enter the horse just to race.

The young'uns must be laughing at me now. Abe who? Eldon what? Let me say the sport would be in much better shape if we hade more trainer/drivers like them.

LottaKash
08-20-2009, 11:01 AM
[Continuing off thread. I still go to Goshen, though no betting the grandstand is still full on the 4th of July weekend.

Speaking of complete horsemen, I used to always admire Eldon Harner and Abe Stolzfus. Both of them never sent a horse to the Meadowlands just to race. They may not have always won, but you knew they didn't enter the horse just to race.

The young'uns must be laughing at me now. Abe who? Eldon what? Let me say the sport would be in much better shape if we hade more trainer/drivers like them.

Hey Pacingguy, I believe that there are more of us old timers, posting and lurking here at PA, than one would expect.....At least that is my perception on the matter..:jump:

best,

wilderness
08-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Continuing off thread. I still go to Goshen, though no betting the grandstand is still full on the 4th of July weekend.

Pacingguy,
If my memory is not playing tricks on me this AM?
Buddy Gilmour married Eldon's sister.
Somewhere I've an old photo of Buddy, Levi and a bunch of the Harner's in a winners circle photo.

I was looking for a photo last night and stumbled across one of an aged Edon and had to do a double take ;)
"Eldon can't be that old"

from May 18, 1960 Harness Horse and Buffalo Raceway:

BUFFALO RACEWAY
HAMBURG, N. Y.

ELDON HARNER WINS FIVE RACES ON SATURDAY PROGRAM

Eldon Harner, 26-year-old son of Levi Harner, won five races at Buffalo Raceway Saturday night. His father, who accomplished the same feat in 1946, was not present to see Eldon in his hour of glory, since he had Tar Boy and Kathena in Detroit. Three of Eldon's victories were with horses from his own stable, while two were substitute drives for his father. Starting right off in the first race with the pacer Bar Discovery, young Harner followed this success with Darcie Hanover in the fourth, Ann Row Gil in the fifth, Yankee Lou in the eighth, and Battle Dream in the ninth. In addition to the high score, Eldon reduced the records on Darcie Hanover, a three-year-old eligible to the Hambletonian and the Reynolds, to 2:09; on Ann Row Gil, a four-year-old pacer, to 2:071/5; on Yan kee Lou, a four-year-old pacer, to 2:053/5; and on Battle Dream, a three-year-old pacing eligible to the Reynolds, to 2:074/5. Darcie Hanover, owned by T. J. Zornow of Pittsford, N. Y., and Yankee Lou, the property of the Charles Skinners of Hilton, N. Y., are regulars in the Levi Harner stable. Bar Discovery is owned by the Wilson Marshalls of Scottsville, N. Y., Ann Row Gil by Rowcliffe and Gillard of Elba, N. Y., and Battle Dream by Mr. and Mrs. James Robinson of Albion, N. Y., are trained by Eldon.

To make it a banner Harner night, Levi's assistant trainer, Cliff Erdman, won with Berton Hanover in the seventh race, sweeping the card with Levi Harner horses entered. Eldon lost one in the third race.

Bold Colby bounced back from his first defeat at Hamburg last week to win this week's $2,500 Invitational Trot for the track's leading reinsman, Lou Rapone. Bold Colby won by two and a half lengths in 2:122/5 over a heavy track. Torrence Hanover got up for second with Handy Bill, the, winner last week, finishing third after setting most of the pace. 'Me pacing counterpart went to Captain Wright and Harold McKinley in 2:052/5, beating Howard Rosecroft by three-quarters of a length.

The topic of conversation at Buffalo Raceway centered on the foul weather of which western New York had more than its share for nearly a week. For the fifth consecutive night rain fell at Hamburg and again the "sloppy" sign was posted for the track condition. Little Susie, winner on the same kind of track last Monday night, was the only one with approval for this type of weather. The 10-year-old roan a mare, driven by owner Arthur Brown of Little Valley, took her second N. Y., took her second win Thursday in the first race, downed to even money for her reputation as a mudder.

Yellowjacket, coming into Thursday's fourth race for Class 25--30 pacers with no defeats in three starts this meeting, kept his record intact and proved that he is an all-weather colt. The three-year-old son of Athena Hanover, which has also produced Tar Boy and Kathena, was the 1-2 choice and raced like a champ with a full length advantage at the wire. Second behind Levi Harner and Yellowjacket in the 2:19 mile was Lassie Gold, (Graney) and third was Dominion High (Piguet), the pacesetter to the three-quarter pole.

wilderness
08-20-2009, 11:50 AM
from a 1958 Hoof Beats:

"Dick Buxton, driving at Buffalo for the first time, is confirming his reputation as one of the best young trainers produced in Ohio in many years. Dick is 29 and has plenty of company among other "youngsters" in Gilmour who is only 25; Eddie Wheeler, 26; Eldon Harner, 24; Jack Williams, 28; and Bob Shuttleworth, 26. Most of the others are "old-timers"' of 30 or more."

Hanover1
08-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Sorry, about not responding to your follow up post to my question about Gerald Procino, I forgot all about it, after all, it was posted on the "dark-side" of this forum....haha

Not "former" I am Harness, and part-time T-bred (big races and events).... I am Not Clint Galbraith, tho.....I used to be associated with Mike Gagliardi (gone now)

Regarding Clint Galbraith, imo, he was the complete horseman, a great driver, trainer (horses always sharp and race ready, especially stakes ones), a breeder, owner, and spokesman for harness-racing....I used to watch his every move, and he proved himself to fans, time after time....He competed with the greats, Haughton, Dancer, O'Brien, Sholty, Chapman, and other greats that escape me for the moment & etc..and they all respected his horsmanship...

My avatar name "Lottakash" is taken from one of Galbraith"s horses....I made a bunch of money betting on that one...haha...

I recall, as a very young man, at Goshen's Historic Track, when you could still bet on all the races during the stakes and fair races that were held there for the annual summer meet, while having a conversation with the "then" official photographer for "Hoofbeats" magazine, George Smallsread, who was giving me some tips for taking better photographs of the races and the horses, and Clint interrupted that spell to ask George about some follow up photos for some of his horses...That is when I got to have a few brief words with Clint, I got a kick out of the way, he had of putting things....Nice guy.... Plus, that day, I got to take some photos of the races from a vantage point that few people ever get the opportunity to photograph from, thanks to George....I still have a couple of nice ones, hanging on the wall in my office...I really miss those days....

Wow, this has gotten wayoff of the thread...I get carried away, when I am reminded of some of the old names in Harness....Heck, I'm old(er)...:jump:

Great racing memories tho....:jump:

best,
I worked for Clint at Ben White Raceway when Niatross was 2 coming 3. Was assistant along with his son Donny, and another. Last saw Clint at truckstop off of NY thruway. He was driving his own van from Rodney Farms to Canada for overniters. Had several onboard. Appeared on hard times (around 2002-2003). This was actually a random meeting, as I was upstate NY with relatives, and we commisurated awhile, and he offered me a job at the farm, wich I declined. Was assistant for Delvin-Ned Bower-all 3 Simpsons. (SR/Jr, and Jimmy who is now president of Hanover). So the old times are the best-I especially liked spring/fall at Red Mile, and Grand Curcuit. Was never really a Meadowlands fan-tough on the horses, all concrete backside, and track hard as nails, but thats where the money is now days.....

wilderness
08-20-2009, 03:48 PM
I recall, as a very young man, at Goshen's Historic Track, when you could still bet on all the races during the stakes and fair races that were held there for the annual summer meet, while having a conversation with the "then" official photographer for "Hoofbeats" magazine, George Smallsread, who was giving me some tips for taking better photographs of the races and the horses, and Clint interrupted that spell to ask George about some follow up photos for some of his horses...
best,

LK,
Stan Bergstein did an article on George Smallsreed for Hoof Beats or Hub Rail.

In the article Stan describes a trip that he and George made to Europe (funded by the USTA and of which many articles and wonderful photo's transpired as a result).

In any event George was a ladies man and as Stan left George and met up with him later each day/night only to find George sitting with numerous ladies of which he couldn't even speak their language.

Guess the love signal is universal ;)

BTW, there was a much earlier turf photographer with much the "flare' as George whose name was Ted Hanson (http://www.mi-harness.net/publct/hh/hansom80th.html)

LottaKash
08-20-2009, 04:07 PM
LK,
Stan Bergstein did an article on George Smallsreed for Hoof Beats or Hub Rail.

In the article Stan describes a trip that he and George made to Europe (funded by the USTA and of which many articles and wonderful photo's transpired as a result).

In any event George was a ladies man and as Stan left George and met up with him later each day/night only to find George sitting with numerous ladies of which he couldn't even speak their language.

Guess the love signal is universal ;)

It was a long time ago, but I do recall that, George "did" have a certain confidence and flamboyancy about him....I imagine, it may have been due to a promise of "getting lucky" in the evening, after the afternoon racing was done...:jump: :jump: :jump:

btw, his Harness-Photo's were incredible....He was my "photo" hero, during the time of my love affair with schlepping around with all my cameras and lenses...

best,

wilderness
08-20-2009, 04:13 PM
btw, his Harness-Photo's were incredible....He was my "photo" hero, during the time of my love affair with schlepping around with all my cameras and lenses...

best,

LK,
The current USTA photographers are Ed Keys and Mark Hall, although Ed is rapidly approaching retirement, leaving Mark to do most of the actual field work.

Ed has the capability to grab most any photo from the USTA's massive archive and inform you if it was a "Keys" or Smallsreed".

There must be some secret coding that is not apparent to the non-photographers eye ;)

LottaKash
08-20-2009, 04:19 PM
LK,
The current USTA photographers are Ed Keys and Mark Hall, although Ed is rapidly approaching retirement, leaving Mark to do most of the actual field work.

Ed has the capability to grab most any photo from the USTA's massive archive and inform you if it was a "Keys" or Smallsreed".

There must be some secret coding that is not apparent to the non-photographers eye ;)

Don, like a "marked" deck of cards ?..........:D

best,

wilderness
08-20-2009, 07:21 PM
LK,
Are you aware George Smallsreed was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize in both 1956 & 57?