PDA

View Full Version : Wireless security

Tom
08-17-2009, 10:23 AM
I have a new notebook that has wireless built in.
What are the security issues for this? Am I vunerable even with the browser off? I know I need anti-virus software, but what else? I'm looking at trying AVAST...AVG has gotten too intrusive for me and I have heard Avast is good.
Do I need a firewall too?

Thanks

robert99
08-17-2009, 01:28 PM
What are the security issues for this? Am I vunerable even with the browser off? I know I need anti-virus software, but what else? I'm looking at trying AVAST...AVG has gotten too intrusive for me and I have heard Avast is good.

Thanks

Tom,

If you have broadband your internet is permanently connected so you certainly need to set up your wireless/ router security.

Avast is fine. Comodo Internet Security plus Memory firewall is what I use and is also free. Don't forget to switch off Windows firewall if you install another.

ezrabrooks
08-17-2009, 01:50 PM
What does Wi Fi stand for?

Ez

DJofSD
08-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Tom, for at home, the latest wireless security can be had by getting a newer router/access point for use with the new "N" standard.

GameTheory
08-17-2009, 03:04 PM
You need firewalls, etc as usual to keep people out.

And if you have a home wifi network, make sure it is NOT using WEP security, which is often the default -- can be cracked in a couple of minutes by nearby neighbors (if they are so inclined) or even by someone in a van on the street. (Use WPA or better).

When at a public place at a hotspot, you are not secure. Anybody sitting around you with the right software can see what you're looking at (or at least record it for later). However, if your connections are encrypted (https pages are probably ok) or if you go through a hotspot secure proxy then you are safe (if you trust the proxy). Don't use a password on anything without at least an SSL connection (https).

BillW
08-17-2009, 03:12 PM
What does Wi Fi stand for?

Ez

I'm not sure, I think it's a play on the old term "hi-fi" but wireless fidelity doesn't really make any sense. It is the trademarked name for a wireless LAN via the IEEE 802.11 protocol - the standard wireless that comes with most laptop computers.

Tom
08-17-2009, 03:13 PM
It is strictly a road machine - track, OTB, etc.
I'll be using only hot spots out there, nothing at home.
I found some websites today with some ideas to do, and thanks everyone for the suggestions! Getting it ready for the trip to Toga.

BillW
08-17-2009, 03:18 PM
It is strictly a road machine - track, OTB, etc.
I'll be using only hot spots out there, nothing at home.
I found some websites today with some ideas to do, and thanks everyone for the suggestions! Getting it ready for the trip to Toga.

The best approach is don't put anything that you value on that machine. I.e. place only racing stuff on it and have that backed up on your home machine. No financial data, bank passwords etc. That way you have a lot less to worry about re. getting hacked. Worst case, if you do have a problem there is nothing there of value (except maybe that "bet the mortgage play in the 7th :)) you clean off the disk and reload the OS, reinstall your racing software, restore your PP files from backup and start over.

BillW
08-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Oh, and don't save any passwords in your browser (e-mail etc.)

DJofSD
08-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Right, what BillW said.

If what you are accessing is an application or computer that supports VPN then that is your best bet to have mobile access that is almost worry free. Unless of coarse you are really current with digital certificates then you are worry free.

GameTheory
08-17-2009, 04:11 PM
If the hotspot is fast enough, you can do a remote control of your home machine over encrypted connection -- that way you are actually doing everything "from home" safely.

DJofSD
08-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Do you need to set up a home/private VPN or would something like PC Anywhere (or equivalent) be good/secure enough?

ezrabrooks
08-17-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm not sure, I think it's a play on the old term "hi-fi" but wireless fidelity doesn't really make any sense. It is the trademarked name for a wireless LAN via the IEEE 802.11 protocol - the standard wireless that comes with most laptop computers.

Thanks Bill.. The wife asked, and after Wireless, I had nothing for the FI.

Ez

GameTheory
08-17-2009, 05:15 PM
As long as you use an encrypted connection, it is probably fine. With some remote control programs, you choose. Just using the built-in Remote Desktop in Windows is fine -- also the fastest because it uses built-in hooks to the OS.

Tom
08-17-2009, 07:59 PM
I think the biggest thing I will do is download files Thursday night in the Best Western. I was just wondering about having it on all day at the Spa.

Bill, what if they get my spot plays! :eek:

Hmmm, would serve them right! :D

BillW
08-17-2009, 08:04 PM
I think the biggest thing I will do is download files Thursday night in the Best Western. I was just wondering about having it on all day at the Spa.

Bill, what if they get my spot plays! :eek:

Hmmm, would serve them right! :D

Do you have a brother? Who does he like? :lol:

dutchboy
08-31-2009, 10:19 PM

It does stand for wireless fidelity. I think WiFi is a trademark of the WiFi Alliance group set up to create standards for wireless.

dutchboy
08-31-2009, 10:28 PM

Thanks

http://www.darkreading.com/security/perimeter/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208804415

Good article on wireless security.

Tom
09-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks db.....looks good.

PeteKoch
09-10-2009, 06:35 PM
It does stand for wireless fidelity. I think WiFi is a trademark of the WiFi Alliance group set up to create standards for wireless.

From webopedia, The Online Dictionary for Computer and Internet Terms and Definitions:

A common misconception is that the term Wi-Fi is short for "wireless fidelity," however this is not the case. Wi-Fi is simply a trademarked term meaning IEEE 802.11x.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/W/Wi_Fi.html (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/W/Wi_Fi.html)

dutchboy
09-10-2009, 08:25 PM
http://www.techterms.com/definition/wifi

This article states that wi-fi does stand for wireless fidelity. Have no idea which one is really correct. I just hope it works when I turn on my laptop.

Dahlonega337
09-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Been using Avast for years-Great free program!

Tom
09-13-2009, 05:15 PM
I want to switch to Avast - AVG has gotten far too intrusive for me - nice program gone bad.:mad:

CBedo
09-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Avast is great and free. Kaspersky gets my vote for best overall, but not free.