PDA

View Full Version : You think US TV angles are bad?

FenceBored
08-16-2009, 03:36 PM
So, you don't like the TV angles your favorite tracks offer you. Well, the French have it worse. Check out Goldikova's win in the G1 Jacques Le Marois from earlier today. I got the link from the Racing Post (http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/deauville-runaway-marois-victory-for-mighty-goldikova/620867/).

p79wVBuiWQY

It's got to be one of the most useless camera angles.

Now as to her performance, wow. Going to be hard to beat in the BC mile.

Goldikova clipped one second off the race record of Northjet, who recorded a time of 1min 34.5secs in 1981. The track record over the straight mile came in 2000 when Penny's Gold clocked a time of 1min 32.8secs in the Prix Quincey. Goldikova also achieved the biggest winning distance [6 lengths] in the history of the Jacques le Marois.

-- http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/deauville-runaway-marois-victory-for-mighty-goldikova/620867/

ryesteve
08-16-2009, 10:39 PM
It's got to be one of the most useless camera angles.
I don't know if there's a good way to show the early part of a race being run on a mile straight-away.

Dick Powell
08-16-2009, 11:23 PM
In Japan, with about a furlong to go, the camera leaves the leaders and pans across the track instead of zooming out. Just when a horse is making a winning move, you get to see how the horses on the far outside are doing.

Java Gold@TFT
08-17-2009, 05:03 AM
A mile on the straight with tracks that have been around for a long time has to be difficult to view anyway. Think about the people in the stands near the finish line trying to watch a start one mile away. I don't know if they have monitors throughout like American tracks. The one thing I really find interesting is how they have two announcers who seemlessly pass the racecall off to one another.

46zilzal
08-17-2009, 11:41 AM
MOST tracks have 6 standard feeds but only a few of then are for pubic consumption. When you see a split screen that is the result of an 1) upper pan shot (from the roof usually and is the wider panorama shot) and the 2) lower pan (the closer image).

The 3) BACK tower (backstretch and turns there) and 4) FRONT tower (clubhouse turn and stretch head on) along with the 5) apex camera (designed to catch the head on into the far turn and rear shot of the stretch run) are usually only for the stewards to view for inquiries. Also there is a 6) mobile camera following the loading at the gate.

If these don't cover it, you should GO to the track yourself.

There is also the paddock and winner's circle camera but that is not part of the race.

46zilzal
08-17-2009, 11:49 AM
A mile on the straight with tracks that have been around for a long time has to be difficult to view anyway. Think about the people in the stands near the finish line trying to watch a start one mile away. I don't know if they have monitors throughout like American tracks. The one thing I really find interesting is how they have two announcers who seamlessly pass the race call off to one another.
The Newmarket straight course is 10 furlongs and ONE caller is not enough.

Also they have no frame of reference as to 1/8th or 1/4 poles so they make reference to "the bushes" (Newmarket), the "DIP" (Ascot) Tattenham corner (Epsom) of any number of named jumps like Beecher's or Valentine's Brook, The Chair etc.

At many courses, i.e Curragh for example which is essentially a fence across the naturally undulating countryside, the horses actually disappear from view as they run down into a depression.

They must have television coverage as I have seem at many courses in the bookie shops in England.

ryesteve
08-17-2009, 11:50 AM
MOST tracks have 6 standard feeds but only a few of then are for pubic consumption. When you see a split screen that is the result of an 1) upper pan shot (from the roof usually and is the wider panorama shot) and the 2) lower pan (the closer image).

The 3) BACK tower (backstretch and turns there) and 4) FRONT tower (clubhouse turn and stretch head on) along with the 5) apex camera (designed to catch the head on into the far turn and rear shot of the stretch run) are usually only for the stewards to view for inquiries. Also there is a 6) mobile camera following the loading at the gate.
And how is this relevant to the coverage of a one-mile straightaway?

macguy
08-17-2009, 12:27 PM
That's quite interesting that they utilize two different race callers...
Can anyone elaborate on that?

Are the announcers situated at different locations?
Are the hand-off locations set pre-race?

robert99
08-17-2009, 01:21 PM
The Newmarket straight course is 10 furlongs and ONE caller is not enough.

Also they have no frame of reference as to 1/8th or 1/4 poles so they make reference to "the bushes" (Newmarket), the "DIP" (Ascot) Tattenham corner (Epsom) of any number of named jumps like Beecher's or Valentine's Brook, The Chair etc.

At many courses, i.e Curragh for example which is essentially a fence across the naturally undulating countryside, the horses actually disappear from view as they run down into a depression.

They must have television coverage as I have seem at many courses in the bookie shops in England.

Newmarket Rowley course is really 2.5 miles long if you allow for the kink.
The extreme distance races start in another County.
One commentator commentates on what he sees on his monitors and "big screen " for the public. There are markers every furlong and the Dip is at Newmarket also. Not a good track for public or tv viewing.