PDA

View Full Version : Too soon to celebrate,but this is a good sign.

boxcar
08-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Too soon to say we've won the battle, but it does appear this administration is backing down.

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama's health secretary is suggesting the White House is ready to accept nonprofit insurance cooperatives instead of a government-run public option in a health overhaul plan. A Republican senator says that is worth looking at.

The rest of the story is here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_sebelius_health_care

Boxcar

Overlay
08-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Probably one of those cases where, if you're trying to achieve an objective, you stake a initial position that goes far beyond what you know you can get (and perhaps even farther than you yourself actually want), so that when you start taking heat, you can back down and appear to be a reasonable compromiser, when in fact, you're ending up getting everything that you really wanted to begin with.

boxcar
08-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Probably one of those cases where, if you're trying to achieve an objective, you stake a initial position that goes far beyond what you know you can get (and perhaps even farther than you yourself actually want), so that when you start taking heat, you can back down and appear to be a reasonable compromiser, when in fact, you're ending up getting everything that you really wanted to begin with.

Point well taken. But still this guy is a radical left winger all in favor of a singer payer system, and this "compromise" would fall far short of that vision.

What I think also could be happening is that since all politics is really "local", senators and representatives have been giving feedback to the WH, and it hasn't been favorable for any form of socialized medicine. (Don't forget: 2010 is right around the corner.)

Also, my experience with my elected representatives has pretty much reflected that of the general populace's. An average of .333 isn't bad in baseball, but in other sports, it's pretty dismal. Only one elected official took the time to get back to me -- albeit with probably a canned response -- but at least it was something. Bill Nelson replied talking about "apples" (how dismal the health care system is) while I wrote to him about "oranges" (the more fundamental issue of the preservation of our individual liberties). The other two guys are still hiding under a rock. (And Waxman is real nutjob, so I'm not surprised by his lack of his response.)

But in the end, if this is how it really shakes out and the 'public option" is dropped like a hot potato, this administration will spin it as a victory for them, even though all the left wing nutcases wanted it and saw this as the sure path in the foreseeable future to a one-payer system.

Boxcar

ArlJim78
08-17-2009, 10:46 AM
now how are they going to explain it if they chuck the public option, one of the presidents core principles of health care reform? I thought according to the Dem's the naysayers were just a few wingnuts, birthers, racists, evil mongers, and well dressed insurance industry shills. How can they cave in to this small group of special interests when they control both houses of congress? :lol:

Tom
08-17-2009, 11:07 AM
A cornered snake is the most dangerous.
Remember, these are snakes we are dealing with.
Don't give up the fight....they are not.

Our side has the birthers, the deathers, but their side has the LAIRS.

Tom
08-17-2009, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=ArlJim78]now how are they going to explain it if they chuck the public option, one of the presidents core principles...... [QUOTE]

:lol: Good one.....he HAS NONE! :lol:

NJ Stinks
08-17-2009, 11:12 PM
now how are they going to explain it if they chuck the public option, one of the presidents core principles of health care reform? I thought according to the Dem's the naysayers were just a few wingnuts, birthers, racists, evil mongers, and well dressed insurance industry shills. How can they cave in to this small group of special interests when they control both houses of congress? :lol:

Obviously, Blue Dog Democrats are not really Dems. They reside in Red states and want to win again.

That's the short explanation. No spin involved.

Track Collector
08-18-2009, 06:36 PM
Obviously, Blue Dog Democrats are not really Dems. They reside in Red states and want to win again.

That's the short explanation. No spin involved.

When you think about it, Democrats, Republicans, and Independents are just titles. Elected officials represent people, and they should certainly be in tune with those that they represent if they wish to be re-elected. The dirty secret of politics is that elected officials need to together (even when they don't agree on the concept) to get legislation important to those whom they represent passed. The trouble begins when these two groups have differing objectives, placing an elected official between a rock and a hard place.

NJ Stinks
08-18-2009, 08:40 PM
When you think about it, Democrats, Republicans, and Independents are just titles. Elected officials represent people, and they should certainly be in tune with those that they represent if they wish to be re-elected. The dirty secret of politics is that elected officials need to together (even when they don't agree on the concept) to get legislation important to those whom they represent passed. The trouble begins when these two groups have differing objectives, placing an elected official between a rock and a hard place.

You are right, of course, Track Collector. I should have said Blue Dogs Dems reside in more conservative districts - not just in Red states as I stated previuosly. Certainly, there are some Blue Dog Dems in Blue states too.

Tom
08-19-2009, 10:03 AM
The operative word is democrat. They may be blue dog, because they lack character and are afraid to stand up for their principals, however wrong, and try to "pass."

Most on the right do not buy it. A dem by any other name still smells. :rolleyes::D

If you were going to pretend to by someone you are not, why in HELL would you pretend to be a republican????? ;)