PDA

View Full Version : Romancing the Story.

Suff
05-18-2003, 06:28 AM
I've read the Miami herald today.

They're now admitting they blew it....but still are trying to split hairs to justify thier Mistake. Forget the quote from santos, and the Churchill Downs steward who "Jumped" at the chance to discredit the NYBRED's Derby win.

You gotta Figure there were 100's if not 1000's of other photo's taken that day........Did the Herald or has the Herald said they made any effort to examine other photo's?

On thier WWW site this Morning they claim they actually helped racing....Like:

The way Mike Tyson helps Pay per View and Boxing

The way Anna Sorekson will help a Tigerless Golf Tournament

Talk about arrogant.......wow.

Here's the way...The story could have been told...and should have been told........ This angle is and would of been the very best way to portray this Unlikely Triple Crown Horse.

http://espn.go.com/horse/triplecrown03/s/2003/0517/1555696.html

The Miami Herald story mighta been good for the 30 second spots on NBC for this ONE race.......but Long term....They've damaged racing badly. Most indifferent fans......Heard the ONE Story that Santos had something in his hand.......and are still repeating it. Non-racing fans don't pay close enough attention to see that the story was Baseless.

Trust me........3-4 years from now you might be talking Horse racing with a Non-fan and you'll hear from him

"What ever happened to that Horse that had the Jockey with the Battery on him?" You think he cheated?

Everyone I know and work with , is very aware I am a thoroughbred racing fan.... I have heard

"hey what about that Jockey with the Battery"?

Even my own Mother, who called me to thank me for her Mothers day Flowers Jumped all over it. First thing she asked me about...Did that guy cheat? When I started to explain it was a Big Mistake............her interest tailed off....

Thats what The Miami Herald did to racing.,..........Got a bunch of people interested long enough to sell a few extra Papers, sell a few more 30 second spots on NBC. But Long Term.....irreversable damage.

And they think they did us a favor.

JustRalph
05-18-2003, 09:00 AM
Jay Cronley is great. He does it with Ease and in short sentences and shorter paragraphs. Very down to earth writer that I admire.

In case anybody didn't know, he wrote the book that "Let it Ride" was based on. He was a consultant on the movie too.

He has written a few other movies too. I would like to spend a couple of nights out at the OTB with this guy.

linrom1
05-18-2003, 12:12 PM
In a ESPN story, Humble Roots of Triple Crown Contender, Jay Crowley tries to paint a picture of a lowly horse who now has a shot at that most prestigious and difficult quest in horse racing—the elusive Triple Crown. Unfortunately, nothing could be farther from the truth. Funny Cide was bread by Win Star Farms, which is a powerhouse in thoroughbred racing and breeding world. Win Star Farms trains, owns and manages well over a 100 horses. It employs and races some of the country best trainers such as Elliott Walden and races at premier racetracks. It houses some of the world’s finest and expansive stallions such as Tiznow, Distorted Humor, Victory Gallop, and Our Emblem and until recently the immortal Kris S, Sire of Sires, Sire of Champions, Sire of Four Breeders Cup Winners and a stallion whose progeny have earned in excess of $50,000,000.

Distorted Humor’s 2003 breeding fee alone is $20,000 which is a far cry from the lowly stallions that usually stand for $1000-$5000, yet Jay Crowley makes this comparision: “With all due respects to the racing Sheiks and breeding factories of the world, it's good to see the roots of a champion come from the area between the water slide and first base.” Isn’t Win Star also a breeding factory? This story in nothing more than pure fiction.

Suff
05-18-2003, 12:30 PM
True......... But that was'nt the focus of the story........it was about his MARE......and that is pure Non-fiction.

And even WINSTAR FARMS has Humble roots.... Ken Trout was claiming $3500.00 dollar stock 20 years ago at Great lakes Downs. A Mutual slip in the Pill Box with another trainer formed the Partnership that was to become Winstar Farms.

The Horse is a NY Bred
The Horse cost $22,000.00
He's a Gelding.

The Partnership that own Funycide put up 5 grand a piece,,, If one of thier stock had'nt been claimed for $65,000, They could'nt have even affored the 22 grand that Funnycide cost. Surely they are as from the racing elite as it gets

and not to muuch about Distorted Humor would lead you to think he'd Produce a Triple Crown Winner. He's a Sprint Record Holder... Not classic Distance pedigree.

Winstar farms is a successful Breeding operation. That Does'nt make any part of that story Fictional...........

Its Decideingly non-fictional........and touching.

Bubbles
05-18-2003, 12:34 PM
I agree with Linrom. Distorted Humor appears to be a very promising young sire (he only has two crops out now, 3YOs and 2YOs). DH, despite being a sprinter, has sired steeds that can not only sprint, but can go the classic distances. I'd love to see his progeny a few years from now.

Suff
05-18-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Bubbles
I agree with Linrom.

about what? That Distorted Humor is off to a good Start as a sire? Me too. But he was saying that the FUNNYCIDE story is a Fraud........ that the horse was bred by racings elite and the "David vs Goliath" angle is untrue. I'm inclined to think its not.

Even if Funnycide was a Million dollar Yearling sale topper.

Just the Fact he's a NYBRED going into Belmont with a chance to win the TC puts a good spin on the story.

His Humble price
His Humble owners
His Humble distance Pedigree

all add to the Romance of the story.

linrom1
05-18-2003, 01:33 PM
One thing for sure, with both Distorted and Awesome Humor now well established as stallions, there are sure to be many horses with a sense of humor around. javascript:smilie(':)')
javascript:smilie(':)')
BTW, Funny Cide's is 5x5 to Ribot, and his 2nd dam BELLE OF KILLARNE has the following Dosage profile: 8-7-11-12-2, DI=1.08 and CD=.18, that's unbelievable total of 14 points in the stamina rating. No wonder she was unraced-- a likely plodder. Also she has TWO Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe winners in her pedigree, Sea-Bird, and Ribot. This must be a 1:1million rarity in American thoroughbred.

JustRalph
05-18-2003, 05:00 PM
On this one. The basic fact of the story is true. You can lump Distorted humor and Our Emblem in with those other high priced Daddy types, Now..... but between a couple of us two years ago we could have bought Our Emblem and set him up for daddy duty for less than ten thousand. Distorted humor was a promising young sire until just a few weeks ago. Now he gets tons of attention and the fee will go up............ Distorted Humor was partly owned by Russell Reineman at sometime. At least he is listed on his web page as being part of his stable. Remember Russell? He sold War Emblem to the Prince Salman. I think Cronley's article was more referring to the fact that Funny Cide's damn made her trips to the small tracks. She wasn't bound for greatness and this is all unexpected. Lets face it, when you breed Mr. Prospector or any other top runner to a top notch mare, you expect a good horse. Distorted Humor's owners had high hopes probably but There are no Mr. P types in this story of love and larceny. I don't think anybody expected Funny Cide to turn out this way. Thus the $20,000 price on him. But the Wingnuts will be buying those Mr. Prospector children from now until he keels over from excessive mating rituals. And they expect good horses. But I doubt very many of the mares Mr. P is bred to spent any time at Fairmeadows...........

ceejay
05-18-2003, 05:15 PM
http://www.newsok.com/cgi-bin/show_article?ID=1026469&TP=getsports

A local story on Bell's Good Cide