PDA

View Full Version : Week at the Spa

OTM Al
08-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Day one in the books. Joining us Saturday were rrbauer, oddsmaven and wife, offtrack, and patriotfan. I of course forgive the latter for that :)

Beautiful first day. Warm, but not humid. Had to do a bit of fighting with the tent manager as somehow she had the idea that the table numbers didn't matter......Anyway, if you beat me there during this week the tables are under my name, Allan Corns, rather than Paceadvantage for whatever reason, which offtrack unfortunately found out when he arrived first satturday. We have the same ones as last year, so don't let em tell you different.

Score of the day goes to rrbauer. He wanted to get the 8 or the 9 in the exacta and turned out getting both and not once, not twice, but 3 1/2 times. Me, well, my handle says it all.....

Tom
08-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Betchatoo and I met up at Finger Lakes yesterday, so we were with you in spirit. He was in the area for a wedding, so we hooked up for Toga and Lakes action, or as I call it, Turf and Dearth.

We left shaking our heads! But the Molsen's were cold.

Hope the weather is good - see you guys Thursday.

OTM Al
08-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Hey Tom. Got your message while we were there so let all know you were on your way. Today as rrbauer reported over on the other thread we were joined by Bubbles and Silver Sow and also by fiveoutofsix. rrbauer is still the man taking down another nice score early. Can't say as I blame the guys for taking off for the harness track (read air conditioning) as it was warm. Likely the same tomorrow. Fortunately I won't have to be suffering through the reminants of the night before. Saratoga is an interesting place and I saw my first horse sale at Fasig-Tipton. Pretty interesting and it was going well for about an hour and then the money just stopped. We also sighted David Cassidy. Strange though how he kept running to the bathroom.....then on to a birthday party that was good fun.

Bed for me now and back to the museum before the races tomorrow. I love the place and anyone who hasn't been up before, you should go and pay homage to the great master of the turf, Tregonwell Frampton. Eating at Wheatfields tomorrow night, so will give a review then. There is this gnocchi with sausage and sweet potatos dish I must try.

Oh yeah, the handle still applies.......

OTM Al
08-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Finally off the schneid today, but gave it all back because somehow I couldn't manage to put a win bet on that 14-1 that I liked in the 7th......

Today we were rejoined by patriotfan along with rrbauer, and friend, offtrack, bubbles and Silver Sow. It was hot again but a little more breezy and many less people, so much more bearable. A couple hits around the table today, but no solid bragging rights established. Slewis also made a couple quick visits and I do believe the horse in question will be better next time out

Tonight I went to Wheatfields so as promised a review. Overall very positive. Fresh made pasta is a wonderful thing. They brought us the bread to start that was so fresh it was still hot with tasty garlic-pesto butter. For starters we had the stuffed portobello mushrooms, which were nice and firm with a cheese as spinich stuffing over palenta, and the eggplant cipriani, which was a breaded eggplant covered with a slice of prosciutto, fresh tomatos and cheese. Both excellent. Entrees were the Gnocchi Bolognese and chicken Rigi. The bolognese sauce was very good, but I felt the gnocchi was a little overdone. I like my pasta and pasta like products firm though, so this may be a bit of a bias. The Chicken Rigi was outstanding though. A nice zing to it without being too spicy. Worth a try if you like pasta, and who doesn't. The desert tray looked great, but I wasn't going there. Total price of dinner for 2 with 2 entrees and drinks was around $70, so a little pricy, but not terrible

I'll be away Wednesday. If anyone coming that day needs the extension cord and surge protector, let me know. Kathy said she'd bring it by for you guys that day if anyone asks. See the rest of you Thursday!!!

rrbauer
08-18-2009, 07:21 AM
Finally off the schneid today, but gave it all back because somehow I couldn't manage to put a win bet on that 14-1 that I liked in the 7th......

That race was gruesome. Even worse than the heat, which we escaped by heading over to the simulcast area at the racino during the 5th race. My friend Bill (the other Bill W, from Calif) is used to ocean breezes, so 90+ temps with 90% humidity makes for a bad neighborhood. Anyway, back to the 7th. I had made a few bucks on the 6th and ended up on the 6 for my pick in the 7th and used it in key boxes with 8,9,10 in exactas. The race comes 10-8-9 and the 6 is nowhere. Now normally I will do at least one box of all of them in that situation but I was so sure that the 6 would be in the exacta....

I mostly blame the oversight on the hunkin' Italian sub that was in front of me, which distracted me from my normal style, which is to get some win money on anything I'm using in an X that is 10-1 or more. In order to do that you need to be paying attention to what is happening on the board. That will be catalogued as the "good sandwich = bad mojo" play. Burp!

Wish I could've talked Silversow into using the deuce in the first race. I tried, but I failed. He was a lot easier to persuade when he was drinking!

Supposed to be 94 today. We're heading over to Cooperstown to see the Pete Rose exhibit at the baseball hall of fame. Hope their air conditioning works.

SilverSow
08-18-2009, 10:36 AM
On the flip side... the 10 (Top Lass) in the 7th started my turnaround. Had the exacta, double starting with that race, the pick 3 starting with that race (woulda paid LOTS more if the 6 had held on in the finale but I'm not complaining), the late double, and the last exacta several times... after a dry first 6 races (win-wise AND beer-wise), the end of the day was MUCH better.

:cool:

Dave

OTM Al
08-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Ah dark day! Hope you guys like the BB HoF. Nice ride down to the city on the train today. Painted my window sills so quite sweaty at the moment, though there is a nice breeze off the ocean making it much cooler in lower Brooklyn. Back on the train tomorrow and looking forward to everyone coming on Thursday.

Bubbles
08-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Al, you're just glad you don't have to endure my wrath for blatantly jinxing Favre's retirement... :lol:

BillW
08-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Al, you're just glad you don't have to endure my wrath for blatantly jinxing Favre's retirement... :lol:

c'mon bubs, it was a bet you would've taken. He was 3-5 to come back. :eek:

John
08-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Stay cool you guys ... Best of luck

:) :) :)

OTM Al
08-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Thursday at the Spa and would you believe I actually finished ahead! It was a bookend day. I hit the first race I played at York, taking down the 2-5 Sariska with the oldest angle in the book and for the first time played and hit the last race at Saratoga for a plus get out!

Great crowd today. Besides the stalwarts of me, rrbauer and offtrack, today we welcomed back Bubbles and Silver Sow and also welcomed for the first time Ted Craven and mom (watch out, she had her own laptop!), cj's dad and son Justin, Zaf, Tom, Joe Prunes and falconridge. Had a couple other visitors, but I forgot to write your handles down, so sorry for failing to mention but still happy you came. Slewis stopped by for a couple minutes as well. Don't tell any one, but Bubble's girl was there too, but wisely he let her stay with the group she came with. The young man has some sense!

Despite the quick downpour, the weather was generally agreeable and definitely better than it had been. Mostly maidens today though, so not the most productive of cards to work with. Didn't hear any cries of a big score but it seemed as if everyone got a piece today anyway. Got to say I'm not convinced the winner of the Special will be much, but who knows for sure....In Celebrity news, Bubbles thinks he spotted Barry Melrose of hockey fame, but I wasn't so sure, but then I'm not the future sportscaster. The guy in the valet parking with the red suit and matching red patent leather shoes was all the star power I'll need for a while anyway.....

Going to look at tomorrows card now. A G1 at York has me revved up already. Also going to hit Mouzon House tomorrow I think, so that should make a tasty end to the day no matter what. Til tomorrow.

Zaf
08-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Fun day with all the guys & gals. I think the one you missed was proximity, a very nice guy. Ted's mom Barb actually crushed the card & tripled her bankroll, KUDOS :jump: Look forward to seeing all of you tomorrow. Time to cap and make up for my lousy performance today.

Z

John
08-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Good read OTM Al, Nicely done.

Looks like you guys are in for a big weekend.

rrbauer
08-21-2009, 04:30 AM
Best news of the day was when I saw Silver Sow drinking a cold one. Then, he told me where the cooler was. Then when I was leaving he asked me if I wanted a couple cold ones to take with me. I hope this guy crushes the last race for the rest of his life! :ThmbUp:

Bubbles played a dime super for his girlfriend. She shows up five minutes after the race looking for her money. Smart girl!! :)

offtrack
08-21-2009, 08:13 AM
I met a man with no handle today.
Amongst all the greetings and self-introductions and trading of stories,
I saw a man near us.
I walked up and introduced myself, shook his hand, sat down.
He was a bit shy but I met his wife and chatted a bit about the Spa card.
He didn't say much but continued eating his lunch. So I moved on.

A few minutes later OTM Al leans over to me and says- He's not in our group.

He was with the NY State group next to us.

rrbauer
08-21-2009, 08:42 AM
He was with the NY State group next to us.

Did he take your picture? :lol:

pktruckdriver
08-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Well it seems the fun all around, even with the heat, now a few good scores and things will be wonderful.

Remember where you are, and be careful when drinking up there, always designate your driver, be careful and have tons of funs guys and gals.

Next year maybe I will join y'all..

I any are brave enough there is a spot play in the 7th I believe

For the trucker that I am

Horse Named .... Ice Road, for the Ice Road Truckers in all of us

Good luck this week and be safe

Patrick

toetoe
08-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Al,

You and the Falc were both winners Thursday, I understand. All zose leetle grey cells, non ? Well done lads; well done. :ThmbUp: .

rrbauer
08-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Nobody has more fun on these trips than I do. Decided to pass on the track today because of the rain and play from the hotel. When it was coming down in buckets and I hit the 1st race I knew I did the right thing. Then when I hit the X in the 3rd that sealed the deal. Funny thing happened. Lightning struck the hotel, started a fire on the roof and they chased us all outside where I watched a variety of fire departments hose down the roof, cut holes in the roof, cut holes in the facade across the front but finally got the fire out. This was 3 hours worth of fire fighting and 0 hours of horse racing. Finally they let us back in but Toga was done. They told me that I would have to move off the top floor (smoke and water damage-although my room was fine) so I was loaded up to go down to the first floor when they told me that everyone had to move out. So now I'm at another hotel about 2 miles away. At least I only missed the first two at Del Mar.

stuball
08-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Hi Rich

All things considered _ Did you do the right thing?
Did they refund your money for the inconvenience?
Hope you are enjoying your stay...
Have a great time.....

Stuball :lol:

BillW
08-21-2009, 09:24 PM
The weather channel just showed a couple of pictures of Albany today. Looks like the heat wave is over for the time being. :eek:

Here's to better weather tomorrow and safe travels all.

OTM Al
08-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Wow Rich. Just heard about that on the news and made the comment that I bet some players got run out of their rooms. Guess I was right!

It was a soggy day today. Much the same crew as yesterday, Tom, Bubbles, cj's dad and Justin (who waited out the rain at the harness track, smart men), offtrack, Zaf and friend Jeff, Joe Prunes, plus two new attendees for the season, andicap and Bad Co. Ted Craven also there along side us with mom and a couple of his group.

No luck for me today. Couple tries from England, but the bookies were right and I was wrong....I know we had a couple winners today though don't think anyone got the big one. Just in case any one was wondering, andi's numbers have not shrunk any further...

Tonight the culinary delight was Mouzon House. The "House" part is dead on as you dine in the rooms about an old victorian. The menu isn't large but I found myself going in circle on how best to align entree with appetizer. Finally I settled on the gumbo and the steak, while the wife had the gumbo and the grouper. Presentation was outstanding. Serving was not fast, but was at a nice relaxed pace. The gumbo was outstanding and while I rarely have steak, I was in the mood and it was outstanding. The grouper would have been my second choice and they had a duck and a boulliabase (I know I didn't spell that right but too lazy to look it up...) that both looked outstanding as well. This place is pricy. Be prepared to pay at leat $100 for 2, but you will not be disappointed

rrbauer
08-22-2009, 07:36 AM
This place is pricy. Be prepared to pay at leat $100 for 2, but you will not be disappointed

When I pay $100 for 2, I expect to get $50 change for doubles!

rrbauer
08-22-2009, 07:40 AM
The weather channel just showed a couple of pictures of Albany today. Looks like the heat wave is over for the time being. :eek:

Here's to better weather tomorrow and safe travels all.

We've traded ten degrees in temp for ten percent in humidity. You would feel right at home. Squeeze your hands together anytime you need water!

Tom
08-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Just woke up after a long drive home yesterday - talk about rains of biblical proportions! Getting on the Thruway from 87 was a true experience! :eek:

Great time - met some new people, saw some old...Falconridge and Proximity - nice to meet you guys. It was PaceAdvantage meets Pace and Cap. Nice to meet Ted, his mother, and Bill, the true Sartinista!

Too much rain for me to play Friday, but Thursday was kind to me.

Thanks to Al for all his hard work,

And....a special thanks to CJ's Dad, who brought me a care package from Baltimore - Utz's Crab Potato Chips and Tasteycakes, Chocolate Juniors!

Achillies......you hear that? :lol: Mmmmmmmm, still just as good as ever!

Good luck today guys...I'm playing from my easy chair with the air cranked and the beer on ice! Whew! Talk about hot and muggy.

OTM Al
08-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Hey Tom. Glad to hear you got home safe and sound. Same wishes to the many departing after today's races. A good crowd again today. rrbauer, offtrack, cj's dad and Justin, andicap, Bad Co., Zaf and Jeff, Joe Prunes, a surprise return by Silver Sow, and the man himself, PA, who brought us all some wonderful sandwiches and snacks.

Had some hits all around today again, including your's truely who nailed a couple over in England, so he could give it back to NYRA later. Tell you guys what though, hit an exacta with the favorite over the 3rd fave and it paid 96.80 for $2. 17 horse fields will do that.

Had a bit of fun during the 8th today. Was requisitioned to take some photos in the paddock and winner's circle with all the pink saddle cloths for the breast cancer awareness charity work that was going on. Even said a polite hello to Mrs. Maylou Whitney, who made sure she took her program with her on the way out.

Tonight's dinner was supposed to be PJ's but the line was out the door. Probably a better rec than I could ever give. Instead we went to the Stadium Grill. Not the one on B'way, the other one. I had reports that the Kobe Burger was the best burger in town so I put this to test after starting with the spinich artichoke dip, which was quite tasty. I am sad to say the burger was not the best I ever had, but it was good, lean with that grilled taste. The wife said the one they served at the B'way location was a bit better. I will have to try the Juicy Burger now to determine the truth.....Fairly inexpensive place for food though the drink component was high, making up 1/3 of the bill and I wasn't drinking....$60 total for 2. Good high end bar fare and many TVs to watch whatever game was going.

Ted Craven
08-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Hey folks,

Yesterday was another fine day, with rain holding off (mostly) until evening/overnight. Indeed, another profitable day for some of us (though somehow I managed to give back a lot of Thursday's profits). The Canadian invasion landed in the Alabama, and perhaps you heard some shouting from around the eighth pole seats...:) Mum cleaned up yesterday, including a nice winner in the finale.

Very nice to meet folks this week, some for the first time, and many returning friends.

Keep an eye out for today's 5th race - The Howard Sartin/Jim 'the Hat' Bradshaw Memorial Race (ironically, a maiden claiming 2 YO sprint with several first timers, which would have had Doc snorting...). Doc's granddaughter Mariana Sartin joins us today and will present the trophy to the winning connections, along with all the rest of us, in the Winner's Circle! Do drop by and say hello, if you're around in the Spa! If anyone was ever at a Sartin seminar in the old days, say hello to Mariana and share a few memories - she was at most of them as a kid.

Ted

NJ Stinks
08-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Really enjoying the updates, OTM Al. :cool:

I'd love to get up there and meet up with everyone. One of these years maybe....It's times like this I really really wish I had a son. So I could sell the trip as "quality time" with 'Timmy' to my wife. She'd buy that I think! :D

Hell, Tom and I might even like the same horse up there! :p :)

rrbauer
08-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Drove down to Philly this morning to my daughters. Will enjoy some BBQ and an afternoon in the pool with grandkids and then off to home in the morning.

Thanks to PA for the goodies yesterday. Naturally I brought my own beer and here he comes with a huge cooler (on wheels). We caught a respite from the rain but the card wasn't much, what with three Mdn races in a row (6-7-8) in the middle of the card. Careless Jewel stamped herself as another top distaff performer. Definitely a year for the girls.

I was up about $800 after two days. When I cashed out my vouchers yesterday my winnings were down to a buck for the trip. I gave the buck to the Salvation Army girl when I left the track! It was good to see the gang again this year. I'd have to say that the miserable weather was a major distraction from my perspective.

Thanks to OTM Al for his organizing efforts and for taking care of the table reservations. And for arranging the nice souvenir package. Pretty sure I won't be wearing the "Alabama" cap to Tennessee football games. :lol:

Tom
08-23-2009, 03:44 PM

I bet a Jersey bred Friday.....#*$^%#%@&#!

:D

toetoe
08-23-2009, 04:03 PM
the drink component was high, making up 1/3 of the bill and I wasn't drinking

What are you trying to say here, Al ? :D

OTM Al
08-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Well, toe I would be saying relative to their food prices, the drinks were damn expensive!

Last day today. Just me, andicap, PA and Ted Craven's group including Maxspa. The rain held off just long enough. PA was holding his own ok, mostly on simulcast, but my best play was the refund I got in the 5th when my key horse scratched.....

I'll sure miss having you guys around the next 2 weekends and looking forward to seeing you all again next year and a few of you at the JCGC.

Best of all dinners tonight, home made baked ziti!

Zaf
08-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Huge thanks to PA for the nice lunch & beer :) yesterday. Also huge thanks to Al for securing the tent for our group as well as the nice Gift bags. Great seeing everyone again this year. Too bad I missed you Max.

Z

OTM Al
08-24-2009, 06:51 AM
A few memorible things said this year:

After a tip had been received on a horse early on in the week

"When you get a tip like that, you either bet it or draw a line through it!"
(board member will remain anonymous....no, it wasn't me, I just can't remember)

As we watched the long line for the giveaway at the beginning of the week:

fiveoutofsix: "It's like a long line of dead souls marching off to their final destination"

rrbauer: (looking up from his PPs) "What are you talking about?"

As Tom came hustling into the tent under the threat of rain

Tom: "I parked by the Oklahoma track. I did 3f in 36."

OTMAl: "What, 36 minutes?"
(ok, self-glorification, but it was a good one liner.....)

And lastly after a Dale Romans firster came home Saturday

Zaf: "That's the Dale Romans walks through the tent angle!"

Sadly, it didn't work on Sunday....

Trijack
08-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Sounds like all of you had a great time. I attended the first three years. I still have fond memories of meeting all of the PA bunch that attended. Here are some of my highlights. Going into the jockeys room and meeting the jockeys, seeing all the silks that are used, going to the infield to watch a turf race start, taking a tour of the racing stables, meeting trainers Frankel, Jerkens.

Staying at The Pines cabins on the Hudson, touring downtown Saratoga, going to the Horse Racing Museum.

I took pictures and videos the first 2 years and sent copies to a few that wanted them.

All of this was due to Suff before he hit rock bottom.

Jack

toetoe
08-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Try this:

"Friend Romans, lend me your ear."

What's up with Br'er Suff ? Will he be okay ?

Grits
08-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Really enjoying the updates, OTM Al. :cool:

I'd love to get up there and meet up with everyone. One of these years maybe....It's times like this I really really wish I had a son. So I could sell the trip as "quality time" with 'Timmy' to my wife. She'd buy that I think! :D

And you don't have a young daughter that would love horseracing and handicapping???

They need to spend quality time with Dad too. What place could be better than the track?

John
08-25-2009, 10:58 AM
Try this:

What's up with Br'er Suff ? Will he be okay ?

I did not know anything was wrong with Mike [ Suff ] He might keep in touch with PA and others.

badcompany
08-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Back in NYC [sigh]. Nice meeting all you guys. Seemed like a good time was had by all, even with the less than stellar weather. Thanks especially to whomever was responsible for the gift bags (I'm horrible w/ names). The long sleeved t-shirt is really quite nice.

btw,

The manager of the motel where I stay had a few cancellations for Travers weekend. If anyone is thinking of going up last minute and needs a place pm me for info.

Maxspa
08-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Grits,
Another year and we don't have the benefit of "The Great One's" handicapping prowess!!! Did you not make the trip to Saratoga?? If so, you would have had to get two raincoats, one for you and one for your pup!
Maxspa

Grits
08-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Grits,
Another year and we don't have the benefit of "The Great One's" handicapping prowess!!! Did you not make the trip to Saratoga?? If so, you would have had to get two raincoats, one for you and one for your pup!
Maxspa

Max, hey bud!! I couldn't slip Zo in, even if I wanted to, in a tote. And on rainy days, I know good and well, I wouldn't be able to get her to leave the hotel. LOLOL

I missed getting to sit with you guys, and I had planned on doing so. Reservations were in place--everything done. This is the first year I've missed in a good while.

In the middle of June, my son, BJ, who as you know is Down Syndrome, got critically ill, spending 10 days in the hospital with pneumonia and in respiratory failure, almost half of those days were in ICU. He's still not completely well, his lungs are not yet clear. They're hazy, and he remains on oxygen. (He has portable, so we can go out for dinner, run short errands, etc, etc.) Next week, we see his cardiologist at Duke, various test will be done, then, to see if his heart has been affected by the pneumonia. And I pray not as I don't want more heart surgery for him. He was one sick young man, Max!!

I've wagered, here at home, and I'm up for the meet so far. I hope I can hold things on the positive side. Anyway, I'll be back next year. AND I will see the PA guys in the tent, once again.

I may go up for the JCGC, which I love, or to Keeneland in October. But all depends on if BJ's well.

Missed all of you!

joeprunes
08-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Well it was a great 3 days at toga. .I broke out even, like thats a winner, Like to thank mike (pa) for his free drinks and sandwiches. Al for all he did to get us tables and freebees. Max sorry I missed you again, maybe this year at tampa. good seeing my friend sam am I, dennis and his cool son justin(does`nt he ever lose?)bubbles and dad(how come no show bets this year...lol
Richie, too bad about the fire you didnt miss anything. Good seeing andycap again I`ll have some info for your book next year,falconridge,ted craven and mom,My special bud zaf who gave me the first tip that ever won(that I didnt play) and his bud jeff, I know I mite of missed someone. I missed billw and jack hope to see both next year. Again special thanks to al and his wife who made us comfortable under all the dam rain.

Special thanks to Suff who made this possible(hope all is well with you.)

RichieP
08-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Grits
Check your PM box

rrbauer
08-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Max where were you? When I saw you in Tampa you said you would be out there every day. Then you show up the day that I leave....on purpose no doubt. :lol:

Anyway, I'll be in Madera Beach all of January, so let's connect at the Downs.

Sorry I missed you.

Grits
08-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Grits
Check your PM box

Ok Richie.

Trijack
08-26-2009, 01:26 AM
Joe

I will try very hard to make it next year. I hate missing out in all the fun you guys had this year.

Jack

Maxspa
08-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Rich,
I will have been in Saratoga for three weeks and have been to the track only twice. My daughter was in from Palo Alto, Ca, I finally got my grandson involved in a fitness program that he needs to advance his baseball prowess,
met with old friends on three occasions at the Parting Glass plus went out to dinner with family several times. My schedule is still hectic and will include a track visit on Travers with a cousin from Jersey. I thought you would be there last Sunday and I was disappointed you had left. Perhaps I will see you at Tampa Downs!!!
Max

Maxspa
08-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Grits,
My prayers are with you and BJ for the best medical help he can receive! I especially realize the stress and concern that a parent has in this situation and hope that you can be strong and resilient. Take quality time to recharge you batteries when necessary!
I certainly miss the way you breakdown and analyze a race plus the copious notes you take to prepare for horse's next outing.
Respectfully,
Max

Red Knave
08-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Grits,
My prayers are with you and BJ for the best medical help he can receive!Ditto from me. I don't know if it's climate change, middle age (whaaat?) or just what it is but it seems that there are so many of my friends and family going through health and personal issues this year it's hard to keep track. Sad to hear I'm not alone, Grits, but keep smiling and carry on. That's my plan at least.

I certainly miss the way you breakdown and analyze a race plus the copious notes you take to prepare for horse's next outing.
Aww, Max, she's just lucky, that's all. ;)

To all the PAers that made the week at the Spa, I'm jealous and I fully expect to be there and kick some butt next year.

Al, thanks for all the updates and Bubbles, where are the pictures????

OTM Al
08-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Missed you this year RK, but will be glad to see you again next year. Bubbles took lots of pictures, but give the kid a break, he just moved back in to school, so I expect the pictures will be up soon.

Really looking forward to getting back up there this weekend. I'll continue the thread, especially since we are going to sample the Grey Gelding. Also the fact that I had massive piles of work waiting for me when I got back did not thrill me so much either....almost through it all.....

Grits
08-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Ditto from me. I don't know if it's climate change, middle age (whaaat?) or just what it is but it seems that there are so many of my friends and family going through health and personal issues this year it's hard to keep track. Sad to hear I'm not alone, Grits, but keep smiling and carry on. That's my plan at least.

Aww, Max, she's just lucky, that's all. ;)

To all the PAers that made the week at the Spa, I'm jealous and I fully expect to be there and kick some butt next year.

Al, thanks for all the updates and Bubbles, where are the pictures????

RK and Max, you're both fine, fine gentlemen. And I thank you so much for your prayers. He has lots of folks looking skyward for him. All I want is for him to get well--completely well. He's my only child, and, his happiness, his kindness, his unconditional love, are truly the dearest things I have been given in this life. Such a rarity in this world we live in today.

RK, as we know, these difficult times come to all of us--some sooner, some later. Some seldom, some rarely. But we weather them somehow. I wish your family and friends well. ;)

Max, we're blessed. BJ has world class physicians, most of whom are at Duke, with the exception of his primary, and his pulmonologist, here in town. His cardiologist is from our home town. She's taken care of him since birth. She sees patients each day, she teaches, she's head of the Pediatric Cath. Lab, and she's Director of Admissions of the Medical School. Busy woman. She's like family to us. LOLOL

Again, thank you guys.

(I didn't mean to take the thread so far off topic, but I had plans to see all of you guys this year. Plan on next.)

slewis
08-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Missed you this year RK, but will be glad to see you again next year. Bubbles took lots of pictures, but give the kid a break, he just moved back in to school, so I expect the pictures will be up soon.

Really looking forward to getting back up there this weekend. I'll continue the thread, especially since we are going to sample the Grey Gelding. Also the fact that I had massive piles of work waiting for me when I got back did not thrill me so much either....almost through it all.....

Sorry I didn't get over on Sunday.

Not to rain on your parade AL, (or anyone else's) but they are calling for the possibility of serious serious rain Saturday which would really sck.

Also, since you mentioned the GG, I might stick my burger two cents in.

Went to the Stadium Cafe monday after the card for a "Kobe burger".
I'd like to call the owners bluff on whether it's REALLY Kobe beef.
I doubt it. Although it was decent, it was dry (had it medium) and lacked "kobe beef taste".
In my book, that makes Dick Powell's call of "Juicyburger" as the best in SPAsville, the winner.....
I also guess Juicyburger is so confident in the quality of their beef, they WILL cook your Burger RARE if you ask... something that has pretty much become a no-no with Burgers in most eating establishments in recent years.

SilverSow
08-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Bubbles, where are the pictures????

My fault... I have the camera, he's back at school, and one of these nights I'll get the pics uploaded & send them to him to put in the gallery... sorry!

Dave

cj's dad
08-28-2009, 08:30 AM
where are the pictures[/b]????

Caareful what you wish for Bob, that was a pretty motley looking crew in attendance.

Red Knave
08-28-2009, 09:35 AM
My fault... I have the camera, he's back at school, and one of these nights I'll get the pics uploaded & send them to him to put in the gallery... sorry!
I should have known. :)

I was just trying to get a rise out of him. You know how easy that is. ;)
Looking forward to seeing them.

Red Knave
08-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Caareful what you wish for ...Wise words. :D

PaceAdvantage
08-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Sorry I didn't get over on Sunday.I can't believe you dissed me like that....btw, you are a little younger than I imagined....:lol:

OTM Al
08-29-2009, 09:49 PM
So I made my way back to the track today. Once again did well in England and gave it all back and then some to Saratoga. You think I'd learn. Picked up Steve Davidowitz's updated book and chatted with him for a few moments. Nice guy. Did not play the hunch bet that I called out, Salve Germania. Of course the thing came home and paid $50.50 to win. Sometimes you should play hunch bets......

Dinner tonight at Local. Kathy had heard it was ok and had seen it once in its uncrowded state. I must say you can probably skip this one unless you are a 20 something who likes to dress ironically (or are a 30 something who just can't give it up). The service was very good and Kathy liked the fish and chips she had, but my beef brisket wasn't anything special, though it was the night's special. And it was loud. And they serve organic beer. Who the hell drinks organic beer? And it was really really loud.

Tom
08-30-2009, 12:27 AM
Hey Al, my copy of his book hit Geneva this morning (UPS)- I get it Monday. Can't wait.

I met him once at a seminar in Buffalo - real nice guy, spent 2+ hours going over the FE card and answering questions.

BillW
08-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Steve used to be a beat reporter for the Houston Post. I had the opportunity to hang out with him quite a bit at the track. This was probably 15 years ago. Great guy. His book is a classic too! :ThmbUp:

Zaf
08-30-2009, 01:52 AM
Just got the book Thursday morning ! Can't wait to delve into it !

Z

OTM Al
08-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Sunday at the Spa. The day was beautiful but yesterday still had everyone a little wiped. Spent my morning in the Museum as I always do on Sundays or Mondays. I have been reading the Aeneid in the original. First half was remarkable, second half may be the first recoded case of sequelitis. While good, it just doesn't measure up to the first half. The Museum was selling off some prints for really cheap along with a few other nick nacks. Got 6 nice prints, 3 small and the others medium size for $17. Gave them a $20 and told them to keep it. They seemed shocked. I just like the Museum. It isn't a sunday at Saratoga without visiting good ole Tregonwell Frampton.

As for the card, the track was still pretty wet and a couple but not all races came off. Believe it or not, I had a good day. Popped a couple exactas and not only ended up good for the day, but up a little for the weekend and was able to tip Kathy on the 9th. Thank goodness I was right because that got me dinner tonight at.....

Cantina on Broadway. It is an Americanized Mexican establishment. I like the decore. Light and cheerful with entertaining Mexican movie posters on the walls. They start you with the chips and fresh salsa. The salsa was good but pretty standard fresh salsa, though the chips were interesting. Oven baked or oven fried I would call them. Not greasy or too salty at all. We got their nachos to start. Tasty, but again an upscale Americanized type of nacho. Same chips and covered with chicken, cheese, salsa, sour cream and, I believe a little mole sauce and a sparing amount of lettuce (I hate icebreg lettuce). Tasty, but not well arranaged to pick at and actually too few chips, but fortunately still had many from the initial salsa. I had the spicy beef enchiladas and Kathy had the chili riello (not sure I spelled that right) which was a big stuffed pepper that was oven fried and covered with some tasty sauce. I'm full and I'm happy. Not your standard Mexican, but if you like that sort of thing with a touch of healthy Americanization, you will like it. $50 for 2 with drinks, so not bad in the price department.

RaceBookJoe
08-31-2009, 02:56 PM
I will be at Saratoga Friday 9/4 and also Monday 9/7...write and let me know if anyone is going to be there. best of luck to all. rbj

joeprunes
09-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Zaf, why do you need any handicapping books? All you have to do is wait for a trainer to walk throught the tent and you got a winner..............joe

OTM Al
09-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Back again today and what a beautiful day it was. And that is considering that I didn't cash a bet and realized that had I played the early pick 4 I would have hit it easy for almost a grand....so it goes....

Got so see a couple of the 3yo classic winners up close. For anyone that is around the next day or so, walk by the Clark stakes barn over near Siro's around 3. Summer Bird insists on being let out of his stall around then and they bring him out from. He's quite a handsome fellow and he just stands there eying the paddock across the street. He's ready to rumble again.

As good that was though, I got my hands on a Woodward paddock pass. I could tell right away that Asiatic Boy had nothing because Kiearan was talking happily to everyone. He doesn't do that when he thinks he's going to win (that's a tip boys and girls). But Rachel was the star of the show. The place was just mobbed but she stayed very calm. She was much smaller than most of her opponents, which was a bit surprising as I thought she was a little bigger than that. I saved the better part of the pass on the back of a Rachel button. It will go on the shelf. Some race too. Was sure they had her, but guess not. Very stirring but there was a race over in Ireland this morning that was every bit as good. Couple real nice horses running right now. This field was much much stronger than the Travers field btw if any still think she ducked.

Tonight was the last restaurant foray unless you want to count Fierros Pizza we will have tomorrow as we pack up. Good fresh pizza if you are out 9N a bit. But I must say I think we saved the best restaurant for last, the Grey Gelding, my new Saratoga favorite. Made a quick decision on the starters, the crab cakes and the cheesy artichoke dip. Both were fantastic. The crab cakes were almost cupcake sized and topped with a sauce that had a nice zing. The wife referred to the dip as "crack for women" but I thought it was pretty good too. It was a purree of the artichoke into the cheese and topped with more cheese. This is a good thing. For entree I had the Red Snapper Demounde, which was blackend snapper over angel hair pasta covered with lobster and a red sherry and cream type sauce, I think. It was a huge portion and I couldn't come close to eating it all. The wife had the Chicken McKay which was a snazzed up chicken Florentine with some good lookeing veggies on the side. Frankly I could have picked several things on the menu and the only thing I thought a bit off was the fish wasn't quite blackened enough, but minor complaint. I'm going back next time I'm in town. Just under $100 for two which I thought very reasonable given 2 appetizers.

John
09-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Tonight was the last restaurant foray unless you want to count Fierros Pizza we will have tomorrow as we pack up.
__________________________________________________ _____________
Sorry to see you go. I enjoyed your writings, Also Saratoga closing means the end of summer.

cj's dad
09-05-2009, 10:40 PM
. Made a quick decision on the starters, the crab cakes and the cheesy artichoke dip. Both were fantastic. The crab cakes were almost cupcake sized and topped with a sauce that had a nice zing. .

Al,

PUHLEEZE !! No one eats crab cakes with a SAUCE and in upstate New York no less !!! :faint:

OTM Al
09-06-2009, 07:11 AM
Al,

PUHLEEZE !! No one eats crab cakes with a SAUCE and in upstate New York no less !!! :faint:

It certainly wasn't what I expected when I ordered it, but it was surprisingly good

rrbauer
09-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Al,

When it comes to seafood, those people can't even spell Chesapeake.

OTM Al
09-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Today was absolutely beautiful. Got one exacta and should have had a second, but I changed my underneath horse. Whoops....oh well, just enough left to play around with tomorrow. Nice treat today as I was able to get in to the paddock to see Commentator and then go to the winner's circle to watch the presentation. They almost forgot to give him his key cake!!! He's still looks good and he looked like he wanted to have a go. Also took a quick spin past the Assmussen barns this morning before the museum and saw a little girl taking it easy in her stall. She's pretty but I've come to realize she has freaky bug eyes. There's a shot the track photog took that makes her look just nuts and the thing is her eyes always bug a little like that.

Did a bit of shopping at the museum too. Got a tie I liked (I don't think I've bought a new one in about 20 years so I'm due) and a stuffed horsie toy, which I have named "My Pal Andy". My own private joke. And the museum was selling off some Funnycide Bobbleheads from years back on the cheap so I got one for my office.

The Fierro's Pizza tonight was tasty. Its out 9N toward Corinth if you stay out that way and is part of a Stewart's centered strip mall. I must say I've been remiss though as I did not give props to a regular eating establishment I have frequented right near the clubhouse gate called the Shack. A cheap tasty grill, good and greasy. I got a bagel with cream cheese there one day and they'd buttered it as well. Good that the meet is only 6 weeks....anyway today I tackled the Shackwich. This is a breakfast sandwich with eggs and beef and cheese and peppers and onions and it has some serious mass. A little sloppy but does the job well. A good track mainstay, unlike the kids that sell the "Pink Sheet" who I wouldn't mind vanishing......

toetoe
09-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the thread, Al. :ThmbUp: .

John
09-10-2009, 07:55 PM
The Fierro's Pizza tonight was tasty. Its out 9N toward Corinth
__________________________________________________ __________

You have to through Corinth on 9N to get to Island View Motel. I will have to ask Joe Prunes if he knows where Fierro's Pizza is.

OTM AL Good read as usual.