PDA

View Full Version : Can You Help With This Printing Problem?

trying2win
08-15-2009, 06:51 PM
For years my Canon ink jet printer has worked fine. Just lately though, after one or two pages have printed, the power light starts flashing and that is followed by a few beeps. I guessed it was a communications problem, so I unhooked the cable from from the printer and back of the computer, then reset them again. Still got the same printing problem. So, no progress in solving this dilemma.

Is this an indication that it's the end of the line for my old printer, or am I overlooking some simple remedy to my printing problem that I haven't thought of yet? Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

T2W

trying2win
08-15-2009, 08:28 PM
I also thought that maybe I needed some up-to-date drivers for my printer, so I sent an email to the CANON computer company recently. I haven't received a reply yet.

T2W

wilderness
08-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Does that printer have a Model #?

Canon or other MFG's don't generally answer emails regarding drivers or software for their old models.
Most of these items would be available on the Canon website, course you need the model #

dutchboy
08-15-2009, 09:46 PM
With some Canon printers the number of beeps indicate what the problem is. With my Canon inkjet it is the number of times a lighted button flashes. Tough to know what it might be since you do not indicate what model you have. The manual should have a guide that may tell you what the number of beeps mean.

I can buy a new Canon printer of the same model as mine for about the same price as it takes to buy the 5 color cartridges of replacement ink so it might be easier for you to buy a new one instead of trying to fix an older model. For about a hundred you can buy a nice new printer.

I doubt if it would be a driver issue since the problem just started and it will print a couple of pages. If you do a Google search of the model and the problem you might find an answer.

BillW
08-15-2009, 09:49 PM
With some Canon printers the number of beeps indicate what the problem is. With my Canon inkjet it is the number of times a lighted button flashes. Tough to know what it might be since you do not indicate what model you have. The manual should have a guide that may tell you what the number of beeps mean.

I can buy a new Canon printer of the same model as mine for about the same price as it takes to buy the 5 color cartridges of replacement ink so it might be easier for you to buy a new one instead of trying to fix an older model. For about a hundred you can buy a nice new printer.

Are the cartridges full cartridges or demos of limited capacity?

wilderness
08-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Personally. . I fail to grasp why anybody would even consider purchasing or continuing to use an inkjet when the Laser Printer technology has improved so drastically and the prices are decent for lesser models (which function just fine).

Course the bottom line lasers don't offer color, however inkjet color is nothing near approachable (at least in longevity) to standard photo prints.

dutchboy
08-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Personally. . I fail to grasp why anybody would even consider purchasing or continuing to use an inkjet when the Laser Printer technology has improved so drastically and the prices are decent for lesser models (which function just fine).

Course the bottom line lasers don't offer color, however inkjet color is nothing near approachable (at least in longevity) to standard photo prints.

Some laser printers do release laser toner particles in to the air which can affect people with allergies or lung problems. It can be a serious problem for some people. I think I once read that laser printers should be placed a minimum of 3 feet from your work area.

senortout
08-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Here, I am assuming that you print the pp's with your printer...if correct, I would think that you have not instructed the printer to use your black ink exclusively for printing the forms. This would perhaps cause your printer to use the color cartridges to 'simulate black' with a combination of the other colors. Soon, all your cartridges would empty doing this. Maybe the flashes indicate empty cartridges. Flash once if you understand me, twice if not.

Seriously, please indicate the model number of your Canon printer.

senortout

wilderness
08-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Years ago, I had A Canon 600, which had four cartridges with the black being much larger.
Really like the printer at the time, however it when set on black only printing and each time you powered up the printer, the color process used ink to cean on each power up.
The printer would not run without the color cartridges installed. Some electronic geek may have been able to trick the bios.

trying2win
08-16-2009, 02:01 AM
I use a CANON BJC - 250 color, ink jet printer. I mainly use it for printing out thoroughbred handicapping software ranking sheets.

I set it for using 'color', but actually use a black ink cartridge. When I go to print, an error message comes up on the screen stating that I should use a color cartridge. However, I have the option of pressing the 'ignore' button, and the black ink printouts have worked fine for a long time, just not lately. When I try to set it for a 'black ink' setting, the printing process is too slow, so that's why I don't use that option.

T2W

michiken
08-16-2009, 07:00 AM
Taken from the Canon FAQ on their website:

Issue: The ERROR light and POWER light are flashing and the printer beeps 1 to 7 times
Solution: Reset the printer

Resetting the Printer

By resetting the printer's power, the print buffer is cleared and certain sensors are reset. If there is invalid data in the buffer, or sensors are stuck in a particular mode; errors may occur.

Follow these steps to reset the printer:

Turn the printer off with the Power button (if available).

Disconnect the data cable from the printer (not applicable to WiFi, Bluetooth or Infrared) .

Unplug the printer's power cord for approximately 10 minutes, and then plug it back in. If troubleshooting a communication issue, reconnect the data cable (not applicable to WiFi, Bluetooth or Infrared).

Turn the printer back on.
Note: If resetting the printer does not work, please attempt any other solutions that appeared in your search results.If this is a hardware error on the printer, the printer may need to be repaired.

JustRalph
08-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Some laser printers do release laser toner particles in to the air which can affect people with allergies or lung problems. It can be a serious problem for some people. I think I once read that laser printers should be placed a minimum of 3 feet from your work area.

This of course came from a guy who sold Inkjets :lol: if this was the case you would never seen the large copy machines you see in offices across the country

Ding! Color Lasers are cheap and they print very nice nowadays

I use an Okidata C5500 .......... the cartridges are expensive but I have only had to buy 1 in 2.5 years.............and that was black

dutchboy
08-16-2009, 09:23 AM
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/78455.php

Article on possible health problems of some laser printers. I did work with an office manager with a medical problem that would not allow her to be in the same room with the copy machine when the toner cartridge was being replaced. If you google the statement "laser printer health hazard" you will find numerous articles related to laser printer health problems.

Did not intend to start a debate on the issue.

Pell Mell
09-11-2009, 06:15 PM
For years my Canon ink jet printer has worked fine. Just lately though, after one or two pages have printed, the power light starts flashing and that is followed by a few beeps. I guessed it was a communications problem, so I unhooked the cable from from the printer and back of the computer, then reset them again. Still got the same printing problem. So, no progress in solving this dilemma.

Is this an indication that it's the end of the line for my old printer, or am I overlooking some simple remedy to my printing problem that I haven't thought of yet? Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

T2W

Have you tried something simple, like hitting the resume button? I know when my Canon is out of a color it won't print until I hit resume.

trying2win
09-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Pell Mell,

I've solved the printing problems of my old worn-out printer. After a lot of trial-and-error tinkering with the old printer trying to get it working again, I decided to buy a new one. :) Thanks for taking the time to offer your advice just the same.

Regards,

T2W