PDA

View Full Version : Trainer Quotes

SoCalCircuit
08-15-2009, 02:20 AM
So i remember reading some threads about how if a trainer says he might "need a race" then hes actually running for the win. I remember pletcher said something like that about quality road the other week who went on to dominate. So what do you think of brother bird, half brother to mine that bird, racing in R2 tomorrow. Pletcher trains him and says: "He's been training steadily, but he gives us the impression that he's going to want more distance and might need a race or two to get it all together," he said. "We've done everything we can do in the mornings, so it's time to go over there and start the process." So do you think this is BS and he should be in the mix or what?

kenwoodallpromos
08-15-2009, 05:08 AM
I read MTB was 5th in his 1st start, Summer Sird 4th in his. In Brother Bird's race, M/L fav and BB 2nd fav have less works than the 18+ by all the rest.
What I find interesting is that the last 4 works, all at Belmont, he ran 5f and all 4 in exactly 1:01. Prior to that he was worked short on the traing track. So I would be hesitant to bet him to win, but could be in the mix. The M/L fav has faster works. IMO Pletcher would be stupid not to be grooming him for distance! I assume they want him to run even quarters at 24 seconds per quarter- after all that is what they are working him to do! You cannot win a sprint like that with some horses with long workout exerience and several good % trainer/jockey combos.

jotb
08-15-2009, 07:19 AM
So i remember reading some threads about how if a trainer says he might "need a race" then hes actually running for the win. I remember pletcher said something like that about quality road the other week who went on to dominate. So what do you think of brother bird, half brother to mine that bird, racing in R2 tomorrow. Pletcher trains him and says: "He's been training steadily, but he gives us the impression that he's going to want more distance and might need a race or two to get it all together," he said. "We've done everything we can do in the mornings, so it's time to go over there and start the process." So do you think this is BS and he should be in the mix or what?

Hello SoCALCircuit:

When most trainers tell you the horse will "need a race" (regarding firsters) they are usually right. They are right most of the time because it's a realistic comment. It's not easy to win first time out. Too much to overcome in many cases. When this comment is said to the owner of the horse it somewhat takes the pressure off the trainer and the owner if realistic won't get too high on the horse winning first out. The jockey has less pressure as well. The comment will not mean that the jockey won't try with the horse. He will try just as hard to win with the horse because he wants the mount back (especially if the horse will need more distance) so that he or she can get the winning purse money in the next race or two. If (and it does happen sometimes) that the horse jumps up and wins first out then it's all gravy for everyone. It doesn't mean the trainer didn't know what they were talking about. In this particuliar case with Pletcher, I could fully understand the comment given the fact the race is filled with all firsters.

Joe

Java Gold@TFT
08-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Hello SoCALCircuit:

When most trainers tell you the horse will "need a race" (regarding firsters) they are usually right. They are right most of the time because it's a realistic comment. It's not easy to win first time out.

In this particuliar case with Pletcher, I could fully understand the comment given the fact the race is filled with all firsters.

Joe
Yep, 9 firsters in a field of 9 horses. Obviously 8 of them will "need a race".

Even the greats aren't going to be prepared for bad starts (their own or another in the gate next to them), or a horse next to them running greenly or one in front of them who stops suddenly after a half mile. There are horses that need the race to learn and others are just entered for the experience knowing that they will be pointed at longer races or surface changes later in their careers. Pletcher's FTS stats with 2yo's are reasonable for the horseflesh he gets but even he knows he's going to lose 80% of them.

Mineshaft
08-15-2009, 02:17 PM
Brother Bird ran 3rd

kenwoodallpromos
08-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Brother Bird ran 3rd
#2 won, M/L fav, better works than BB, less than the 18+ works of the others; BB wore blinkers (b) and ran almost even furlongs, if you allow for going 3 wide, I think no salix/lasix. Sounds like Todd was right! vAnd he paid for his keep!