PDA

View Full Version : GOP backs away from end-of-life counseling

Secretariat
08-14-2009, 11:57 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090814/ap_on_go_co/us_republicans_death_panels

GOP backs away from end-of-life counseling
By BEN EVANS, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON – Until last week, Republican Sen. Johnny Isakson was among the most enthusiastic backers of end-of-life counseling in government health care programs like Medicare.

That was before conservatives called it a step toward euthanasia and former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin likened the idea to a bureaucratic "death panel" that would decide whether sick people get to live. And even though those claims have been widely discredited, the issue remains a political weapon in the increasingly bitter health care debate.

Now, Isakson and other Republicans who eagerly backed the idea are distancing themselves from it or lying low in the face of a backlash from the right.

"Until last week this was basically a nonpartisan issue," said John Rother, executive vice president for policy at AARP, the seniors lobbying group. "People across the political spectrum recognize that far too often people's wishes aren't respected at the end of life and there is a lot of unnecessary suffering."

The idea for government-backed end-of-life counseling — while delicate given the subject matter — has garnered significant consensus on Capitol Hill, fueled in part by cases such as that of Terri Schiavo, whose divided family fought for years over whether she would want to be kept alive in a vegetative state.

kenwoodallpromos
08-15-2009, 04:21 AM
Setting up any kind of counseling is wrong, because there would be no limit to the "counseling" and the objective to relieve suffering rightly assumes they will try to talk people into dying. If the patient has a spouse they are supposed to decide; A person with some kind of power of attorney for health care would decide if the patienr sets it up that way. The Catholic church will always advocate for death and does kill people who do not have spouses without regard to other relatives. Hospital already have forms you can fill out. The Fed wants to talk poor people and disabled into dying fast to save money.
My mom was on Medicare and the Carholic hospital from the 2nd day tried to talk us into killing her (5% chance of survival going in). They let cancer of 1 kidney go into the lung and killed her regardless of protests by relatives after their death committee met. She was at 50% chance of survival. $530,000.00 billed to Medicaire, including $5,000.00 illegally, hospital ended up with felony defrauding of Feds.
"http://www.uslegalforms.com/powerofattorney/"

Tom
08-15-2009, 09:32 AM
Earth to Sec.......get your head out of your arse.
We are against is no matter WHO wants it.
Try to think like an American and not a political tool.

Saratoga_Mike
08-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Earth to Sec.......get your head out of your arse.
We are against is no matter WHO wants it.
Try to think like an American and not a political tool.

You calling someone a political tool is the height of hypocrisy.

Tom
08-15-2009, 10:50 AM
:kiss: This

boxcar
08-15-2009, 12:00 PM
You calling someone a political tool is the height of hypocrisy.

Mr. Saratoga, the only political tools on this forum are those who are incapable of living in a free society because they cannot cope with their personal responsibilities and, therefore, feel entitled to U.S. government care from cradle to grave at the terrible expense, of course, of those who cherish our freedom. These enemies of freedom are the "tools" so eager to become slaves of the state and live on the government plantation.

Boxcar

Saratoga_Mike
08-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Mr. Saratoga, the only political tools on this forum are those who are incapable of living in a free society because they cannot cope with their personal responsibilities and, therefore, feel entitled to U.S. government care from cradle to grave at the terrible expense, of course, of those who cherish our freedom. These enemies of freedom are the "tools" so eager to become slaves of the state and live on the government plantation.

Boxcar

Mr. Boxcar:

Citing Ayn Rand-like thoughts doesn't make you interesting. And if you think you know my politics, you're sorely mistaken. I strongly oppose statism. Good day.

boxcar
08-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Mr. Boxcar:

Citing Ayn Rand-like thoughts doesn't make you interesting. And if you think you know my politics, you're sorely mistaken. I strongly oppose statism. Good day.

Two things,sir: You have already bored me with your red herring because nowhere in my post did I even remotely imply that I "know your politics". (For that matter, what is it about yourself that makes you think anyone would particularly go out of their way to want to know your politics?)

And, then, what can I say about this Ayn Rand? If my sentiments mirrored hers or vice versa, all it proves is that great minds do think alike; for we both know who the real blind sheeple (i.e. "political tools") in this country are -- and for your info, it ain't freedom-lovers like Tom. (Forgive my vernac because I ain't had my third cup of java yet.)

Ciao,
Boxcar