PDA

View Full Version : FERNDALE IS BACK! I LOVE IT

menifee
08-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Bullring track where the outside horses go 8 wide.

Today a 7 year old gelding who was 0-51 broke his maiden and paid 91.80.

His name was Circlethewinner!

Imriledup
08-15-2009, 02:10 AM
The starters at this place are terrible, every race it seems like it takes them forever to load.

46zilzal
08-15-2009, 02:34 AM
smallest damn race course I have seem since Fairplex was 4 frulongs

BlueShoe
08-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Opening day was certainly,shall we say,a bit erratic.Short priced favorites that looked like dead cinches losing,a questionable disqualification,and runners that on form looked hopeless winning,like the aforementioned 7 year old gelding making his 52nd lifetime start.Wonder where Circlethewinner will race next.At past Ferndale meetings horses(and mules) often came back very quickly and started twice or even three times at the meet.With Ferndale cutting back to eight days from ten this year,may not see so many,but certainly will see a few.

Track Collector
08-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Yea, a great little track that I first visited in 1999 and need to schedule a repeat visit soon!! Their featured race is the Humbolt County Marathon (run as the last race on the last day) which is at a distance of 1 and 5/8 miles. For a 1/2 mile oval, this means the race ends on the fourth passing of the finish line. Folklore has it that some jockeys place small stones in their mouths and spit out one out each time to remind them what lap they are on.

I also noticed the average purse size was around $7K, vs. $4K-$5K, which I am sure is greatly appreciated by the horsemen. Was this due to entirely to reducing the number of race days from 10 to 8?

deathandgravity
08-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Sounds like the old Prescott Downs

Might have to pay a visit

chickenhead
08-16-2009, 02:02 PM
it's become kind of a yearly rumor - but the last I heard is this may really well be it's last year of racing..so enjoy it's unique character while it lasts.

I also noticed the average purse size was around $7K, vs. $4K-$5K, which I am sure is greatly appreciated by the horsemen. Was this due to entirely to reducing the number of race days from 10 to 8?

Yes.

statepierback
08-16-2009, 03:48 PM
it's become kind of a yearly rumor - but the last I heard is this may really well be it's last year of racing..so enjoy it's unique character while it lasts.

Yes.
I hope not. The Ferndale meeting is fun action. I got hurt with the dq on opening day. I think the stewards made the right call. Wooten did come out twice and the second time was the killer. Ferndale is great test for trip handicapping. With the bigger fields the prices have been better. Sunday"s card is not as good as the first two.

toetoe
08-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Bah, Humboldt ... :p .

BlueShoe
08-13-2013, 08:27 PM
YEA FERNDALE! :ThmbUp: :D

Opening day tomorrow, Wednesday Aug 14th, with a zazzling(?) ;) 5 race card. Looks very chalky, with favorites or close second choices figuring to win all five races, at least on paper, and we all know how that often turns out. Feature race is an open 6250 claimer for older males. Have always been attracked to this very short meeting on the 1/2 mile bullring. For casual wagering only, not for serious stuff. Unsure if the ADWs and OTB sites outside of California will even have it on the menu, but we have it here and it is in the California DRF, so---.:)

pondman
08-13-2013, 11:04 PM

.:)

Go Barrington Go! Lead Rider Baby!

Look out for Barrington/ Helen Shelley. They are a tag team at Ferndale.

pondman
08-13-2013, 11:30 PM
And Matt Garcia is out. Hopefully the don't have to arrest him in the Paddock again!

menifee
08-14-2013, 01:02 AM

Opening day tomorrow, Wednesday Aug 14th, with a zazzling(?) ;) 5 race card. Looks very chalky, with favorites or close second choices figuring to win all five races, at least on paper, and we all know how that often turns out. Feature race is an open 6250 claimer for older males. Have always been attracked to this very short meeting on the 1/2 mile bullring. For casual wagering only, not for serious stuff. Unsure if the ADWs and OTB sites outside of California will even have it on the menu, but we have it here and it is in the California DRF, so---.:)

Absolutely love this place. Visiting this track is on my bucket list.

BlueShoe
08-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Go Barrington Go! Lead Rider Baby!
Matt Garcia a riding triple opening day, winning three of the five races. Two winning favorites, two winning 2nd choices, one winning 3rd choice.

menifee
08-15-2014, 05:07 PM
It's back fellas! You know you've got serious issues when you start handicapping this track and thinking about wagering on it. I've got to get out to this place. Looks amazing.

Stillriledup
08-15-2014, 05:34 PM
It's back fellas! You know you've got serious issues when you start handicapping this track and thinking about wagering on it. I've got to get out to this place. Looks amazing.

The Fern!

wiffleball whizz
08-15-2014, 07:50 PM
How many bulbs do they go through on the inquiry light per meet?

Zydeco
08-15-2014, 07:58 PM
How many bulbs do they go through on the inquiry light per meet?

Lol...the whizz!

classhandicapper
08-16-2014, 10:15 AM
If the mules are there, I'll be in action there. :ThmbUp:

zico20
08-16-2014, 11:57 AM
The 2nd today has the mules. Great race with a couple of classic ones going. I love when these two clash. Been watching these two for years now.

lamboguy
08-16-2014, 12:08 PM
The 2nd today has the mules. Great race with a couple of classic ones going. I love when these two clash. Been watching these two for years now.i think that SINORITA is finally gonna beat this group this year.

classhandicapper
08-16-2014, 03:50 PM
i think that SINORITA is finally gonna beat this group this year.

She's had some self inflicted nightmare trips recently drifting all the way out to the far rail, but she ran straight and easy against weaker last out. This should be a great race.

zico20
08-16-2014, 04:28 PM
it is a three horse race for the trifecta. the solution to making some money is picking the correct outsider to run fourth. I think it will be the :4: for fourth because of the distance.

:1: with :2: :5: for second and third with :4: and

:2: :5: with :2: :5: with :1: with :4:

classhandicapper
08-16-2014, 05:06 PM
What the name of the track announcer that calls all these mule races?

I don't follow the circuit beyond the mules, but his voice is really growing on me.

(1st race is mules also)

classhandicapper
08-16-2014, 05:50 PM
it is a three horse race for the trifecta. the solution to making some money is picking the correct outsider to run fourth. I think it will be the :4: for fourth because of the distance.

:1: with :2: :5: for second and third with :4: and

:2: :5: with :2: :5: with :1: with :4:

Good call. :ThmbUp:

That was a fun race.

Stillriledup
08-16-2014, 05:58 PM
Anyone here ever been to Ferndale? Looks very nice on the google maps, seems to be in the middle of nowhere and very far from everything, you would probably have to drive there, it looks pretty scenic.

zico20
08-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Good call. :ThmbUp:

That was a fun race.

thank you! I am up 20 bucks right now. hit 1 of 3 races. One more bet tonight, the 8th at Mountaineer. putting 60 into it. either it will be a very small loss for the day or a few hundred up!

picojim
08-16-2014, 11:57 PM
What the name of the track announcer that calls all these mule races?
Frank Mirahmadi

zico20
08-17-2014, 02:03 PM
Frank Mirahmadi

He is an absolute idiot. In the second race he calls the :4: third and the :1: fourth when it easily looked like the one was third, which she was. If you can't call them correctly, keep your mouth shut or say close for third.

lamboguy
08-17-2014, 02:13 PM
He is an absolute idiot. In the second race he calls the :4: third and the :1: fourth when it easily looked like the one was third, which she was. If you can't call them correctly, keep your mouth shut or say close for third.how much of an idiot can he be? he got racetracks all over America paying him big money to listen to him, in my book he seems pretty smart.

zico20
08-17-2014, 03:15 PM
how much of an idiot can he be? he got racetracks all over America paying him big money to listen to him, in my book he seems pretty smart.

Not when you can't call photo finishes correctly. People will get real tired of him miscalling races. There is little difference to me in screwing up the finish and calling the wrong horse all the way around the track. It is a mistake an announcer should not make.

lamboguy
08-17-2014, 03:22 PM
Not when you can't call photo finishes correctly. People will get real tired of him miscalling races. There is little difference to me in screwing up the finish and calling the wrong horse all the way around the track. It is a mistake an announcer should not make.i don't know what to tell you. i know i make plenty of mistakes handicapping these horses and i do it over and over again, i am still here after making these mistakes for 40 strait years.

zico20
08-17-2014, 04:06 PM
i don't know what to tell you. i know i make plenty of mistakes handicapping these horses and i do it over and over again, i am still here after making these mistakes for 40 strait years.

Don't fool yourself. It is not you making the same mistakes for over 40 years. It is the idiot jockey who can't judge a race, a trainer who tries something new w/o anyone knowing, a vet who won't scratch a horse he knows is sick or lame, a clocker who miss times a work out, a fixed race which is more common than you think, etc.

If you have been doing this for over 40 years like I have, it is not your fault, trust me. Sure, we all make the occasional bone headed misread of the form, but it isn't often. Give yourself credit and put the blame where it belongs; on the people behind the scene.

lamboguy
08-17-2014, 04:22 PM
gee. you have a few good points there, i never looked at that way!

classhandicapper
08-17-2014, 06:12 PM
I have a really tough time perceiving the positioning of the mules down the straight also. It's a tough angle, especially when they start drifting way out. These 220 yard races at Ferndale are over so fast it's not like you have much time to think and call them out.

I bet Sassy Jazzy win/place today. I briefly thought I had it won and then all of a sudden I was 4th. I feel like an ass. ;)

zico20
08-17-2014, 07:47 PM
Lamboguy, here is an example of what I am talking about. Last night at Mountaineer in the 8th race, I played a 50 trifecta 4-1-6 and a saver bet 4-1-2-6 10 dollar super. The 3 and 5 were just awful, easy throw outs. The 4 was a standout and the 1 looked second best. The 6 was going to be in the tri or super no matter what. The 2 had back class but hadn't raced since May 11 when he "wheeled".

Final odds had the 6 at 15-1 and the 2 at 7-1. The race came in 4-1-6-3. The exacta paid 4.00 and the tri paid 8.40 for 2 dollars. Everyone and their brother in the stable area knew the 2 was going to "wheel" again, which he did. No way the tri pays that low with the 2 being twice as low as the 6. The stable boys pounded the exacta and tri. Yes, I made some money but that was ridiculous. The 2 never should have been allowed to run in that race, IMO.

Stillriledup
08-17-2014, 08:37 PM
Lamboguy, here is an example of what I am talking about. Last night at Mountaineer in the 8th race, I played a 50 trifecta 4-1-6 and a saver bet 4-1-2-6 10 dollar super. The 3 and 5 were just awful, easy throw outs. The 4 was a standout and the 1 looked second best. The 6 was going to be in the tri or super no matter what. The 2 had back class but hadn't raced since May 11 when he "wheeled".

Final odds had the 6 at 15-1 and the 2 at 7-1. The race came in 4-1-6-3. The exacta paid 4.00 and the tri paid 8.40 for 2 dollars. Everyone and their brother in the stable area knew the 2 was going to "wheel" again, which he did. No way the tri pays that low with the 2 being twice as low as the 6. The stable boys pounded the exacta and tri. Yes, I made some money but that was ridiculous. The 2 never should have been allowed to run in that race, IMO.

I "Clobbered" that tri myself, so i was the one who made the price low. :D

Here's a question. Lets say that they "knew" the 2 would buck the jock. Why not bet a super 4-1-6-bomb and 4-1-6-3? If it comes in 416, and the 2 is nowhere, why not take the super? If you just bet 416, you're not really taking advantage of the 2 being nowhere, as even if the 2 doesnt buck the jock, the 6 can beat him fair and square.

Also, the 6 was a "plodder" type who clunks up and makes one run, so he was a "Safe" horse to use for 3rd. Was the 2 a shipper who was an "all or nothing" sort so while he might have have twice the chance to actually win the race as the 6, he was probably not the most likely horse to be exactly 3rd, the 6 was much more of a chance to clunk up and run a consistent closing race.

This happens to me all the time when i determine that i've got the crowd over the barrel and then get mad when they come up with the same idea.

In the 5th today at Ferndale, the 2 was being pounded off her horse for course success at the track, but i decided that i didnt care about that and i was going to actually bet the faster horse......and was miffed when someone else decided to stick a grand to win on the 1 and make her the favorite over the HFC 2 horse.

Same thing happened in the 5th at GG, the public was on Russell, but i thought the 2 was a much better horse and 6F was not the optimum distance for Russel's filly. With 0 MTP and half the horses loaded, my pick was 5-2 and Russell was 6-5, but alas, someone got the same idea i did and blasted the 2 down to 3-2 while Russell drifted up to 9-5.

This stuff happens all the time where you can come up with a smart way to bet the race and someone always seems to come up with that same smart idea....i just wish they wouldnt come up with that idea at 1 second to post. If they came up with that idea at 5 MTP, i could just go the other way and hope their theories are wrong. But, the way the "experts" do it is that they wait till the very end of the betting....so, if you make a "Value play" at 0 MTP, there's a decent chance the value will get sucked dry if someone who bets big comes up with the same good idea.

zico20
08-17-2014, 08:53 PM
I "Clobbered" that tri myself, so i was the one who made the price low. :D

Here's a question. Lets say that they "knew" the 2 would buck the jock. Why not bet a super 4-1-6-bomb and 4-1-6-3? If it comes in 416, and the 2 is nowhere, why not take the super? If you just bet 416, you're not really taking advantage of the 2 being nowhere, as even if the 2 doesnt buck the jock, the 6 can beat him fair and square.

Also, the 6 was a "plodder" type who clunks up and makes one run, so he was a "Safe" horse to use for 3rd. Was the 2 a shipper who was an "all or nothing" sort so while he might have have twice the chance to actually win the race as the 6, he was probably not the most likely horse to be exactly 3rd, the 6 was much more of a chance to clunk up and run a consistent closing race.

This happens to me all the time when i determine that i've got the crowd over the barrel and then get mad when they come up with the same idea.

In the 5th today at Ferndale, the 2 was being pounded off her horse for course success at the track, but i decided that i didnt care about that and i was going to actually bet the faster horse......and was miffed when someone else decided to stick a grand to win on the 1 and make her the favorite over the HFC 2 horse.

Same thing happened in the 5th at GG, the public was on Russell, but i thought the 2 was a much better horse and 6F was not the optimum distance for Russel's filly. With 0 MTP and half the horses loaded, my pick was 5-2 and Russell was 6-5, but alas, someone got the same idea i did and blasted the 2 down to 3-2 while Russell drifted up to 9-5.

This stuff happens all the time where you can come up with a smart way to bet the race and someone always seems to come up with that same smart idea....i just wish they wouldnt come up with that idea at 1 second to post. If they came up with that idea at 5 MTP, i could just go the other way and hope their theories are wrong. But, the way the "experts" do it is that they wait till the very end of the betting....so, if you make a "Value play" at 0 MTP, there's a decent chance the value will get sucked dry if someone who bets big comes up with the same good idea.

Here is the thing about that super at Mountaineer. It would look real suspicous if the 3 at 50-1 paid 10.00 for a 2 dollar bet on the super. No one will think twice about a short tri in this case, but if the 4-1-6-2 super was paying 60 dollars I could see an investigation into the race when the super paid 10.00. I still think they all knew and let the super go to avoid any scrutiny. I tell you what, if I knew the 2 was going to "wheel", I would have played that super 50 times myself. The 3 looked better than the 5.

Stillriledup
08-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Here is the thing about that super at Mountaineer. It would look real suspicous if the 3 at 50-1 paid 10.00 for a 2 dollar bet on the super. No one will think twice about a short tri in this case, but if the 4-1-6-2 super was paying 60 dollars I could see an investigation into the race when the super paid 10.00. I still think they all knew and let the super go to avoid any scrutiny. I tell you what, if I knew the 2 was going to "wheel", I would have played that super 50 times myself. The 3 looked better than the 5.

It doesn't matter if it looks suspicious, nobody cares, there are suspicious prices all the time and nobody investigates anything.

classhandicapper
08-21-2014, 08:30 AM
I have a question for you Ca Fair fans.

Right now, the Ferndale meet is called Humboldt County Fair at Ferndale. In the charts and past performances, the races are identified at being at Ferndale (FER).

However, I see races from 2012 an 2013 that are identified as being run at Humboldt County Fair (HCF).

Were those races run at Ferndale or at other locations?

One reason I ask is that the mule races at Ferndale this year have all been run at 220 yards. But I see mule races at HCF in prior years run at different distances. That suggests they were run somewhere else, but I don't know where. I see no HCF on the mule schedule this year, just Humboldt County Fair at Ferndale.

classhandicapper
08-21-2014, 12:51 PM
I found out what’s going on.

The Humbodt County Fair used to run some mule races every year in Winnemucca, Nevada to start off mule season. It was a 2 day event almost every year. It was canceled this year and going forward. I guess since it wasn’t at some name track, Equibase just recorded it as Humboldt County Fair.

Scanman
08-22-2014, 11:08 AM
I was there on opening day (last Friday). Tough place to get to, but worth it. Only had time for Friday, but if anyone one were to go, try to take in one of the 3-day weekends.

Great day out, but a small loss at the windows. Had the best pulled pork sandwich ever.

Spoke with one of the stewards who noted that banking on the first turn has been increased significantly, so while it's still possible, there won't be so many blown turns as in previous years. Still a tough track to ride, so I would follow jocks that have had success over the surface.

BlueShoe
08-22-2014, 01:26 PM
I feel like an ass. ;)
You've got it! :ThmbUp: :cool: That's the whole ides in these mule races, you bet your ass. :D

Stillriledup
08-21-2015, 06:39 PM
Bump :ThmbUp:

classhandicapper
08-22-2015, 09:23 AM
The 660 yard mule race today is going to be hysterical! I'm not sure which I'm going to enjoy more, the Pacific Classic or the 660. :lol:

Stillriledup
08-22-2015, 06:57 PM
Maybe my eyes are failing me but can someone tell me why the jock on the 1 horse in the 4th made no attempt to get the lead? He grabbed a big hold like he was riding a 2 mile race.

cj
08-22-2015, 06:59 PM
Yeah, because that is what people want to do, decipher rides at Ferndale for you.

Hoofless_Wonder
08-26-2015, 01:22 AM
I decided this past weekend to travel down to "The Fern" and check out a few races on Sunday. Stayed overnight in Grant's Pass, and wanted to get my money's worth out some of the scenery, so I drove route 199 to 101 to the Ferndale highway (211 I think), and then route 36, 3 and 299 back to I-5 in Redding, and then back to Grant's Pass. Saw some very big trees. Very beautiful country - well worth the trip even without the racing. Some smoke in the mountains due to wildfires - Lake Shasta was very low.

It's a nice, quaint setting - reminded me of racing would be at the Cabot Cove Fair. Broke out of the cloudy marine layer in between Eureka and Ferndale - like landing in Oz. Get to park in a field for $5. Entrance is $8, and then another $3 to get into the racetrack section. $8 for the booklet style DRF, which is a huge improvement over the folded, smaller, format. It took about 25 mins to park and get in, so plan accordingly. Got into the grandstand with 4 minutes to post.

Very cool grandstand with narrow wood slat flooring. Shady in the main section, and in the second level, with plenty of seating. Plenty of room in the main level bar. Not very many TVs for simulcasting. Temp was about 65 degrees, and hot in the sun. Tossed $6 in the first race, and watched my selection, the :2: dog, never get a call. Not a good sign in a 220 yard race when the announcer starts the second round of calls and your horse ain't one of them. Typical fair crowd - long lines for the live tellers, and only 1 or 2 people at the SAM terminals. People parked in lawn chairs at the top of the apron reminded me of the old days at Fairmount Park. I'd guess the crowd was around 2500 to 2800.

Second race with much better horses, who now need their average speed rating to be under 90 to qualify, and not 75. Put $20 on the nose of the :5:, "Please Believe Me", and watch him prevail at 8/5 by that nostril over a 12-1 outsider - on his outside. Helped that the :3: dog took a left turn coming out of the gate, and smacked into the contenders inside. Winner pays $5.20. Still not sure about the breeding on these, with the winner's Grandsire as "unknown" and the ears being awfully big.

Third race, Maiden Claimer $8K at five furlongs. These animals have smaller ears. My confidence is pumped, and I toss $30 in the race keying the :3: who has Beyers that make him a stick out, and 11 starts this year. He breaks second in a merry-go-round, and finishes second to the :5: . First time starter :2: looked good in the paddock and post parade, was bet early, but broke slow.

Had a long drive back, so I called it a day. Took a short tour of the rest of the fair. A 14 foot alligator was on display, as well as alligator being served at one of the food stands. Not sure if there's any connection there. A trick horse riding exhibition was going on, with the rider hoping on and off the running horse with ease - like he had springs for legs. Lots of animals, rides, games, kids, food and the usual fair wares for sale. Hats off to the Humboldt County Fair organizers.

no breathalyzer
08-26-2015, 08:56 AM
Yeah, because that is what people want to do, decipher rides at Ferndale for you.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dan Montilion
08-26-2015, 12:53 PM
I found out what’s going on.

The Humbodt County Fair used to run some mule races every year in Winnemucca, Nevada to start off mule season. It was a 2 day event almost every year. It was canceled this year and going forward. I guess since it wasn’t at some name track, Equibase just recorded it as Humboldt County Fair.
Winnemucca, Nevada is the county seat of Humboldt county, Nevada. The mules would run during the Humboldt County Fair, Nevada.