BOLD FACED ALL CAPS are stakes winners
and Bold Faced Regular are stakes placed in a catalog pedigree

Correct??

Java Gold@TFT
08-14-2009, 07:53 PM
BOLD FACED ALL CAPS are stakes winners
and Bold Faced Regular are stakes placed in a catalog pedigree

Correct??
Basically, Yes. They used to differentiate between graded stakes winners and restricted or listed stakes winners but they don't do that anymore. In the breeding world these days the winner of the listed West Podunk Stakes at Prarie Meadows gets the same black type as the winner of the BC Classic in the catalogue.

macguy
08-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Basically, Yes. They used to differentiate between graded stakes winners and restricted or listed stakes winners but they don't do that anymore. In the breeding world these days the winner of the listed West Podunk Stakes at Prarie Meadows gets the same black type as the winner of the BC Classic in the catalogue.

Most Catalogs will often have the name of the stakes race that the horse won and the track it was run at listed afterwords. Restricted stakes races are denoted by -R.

For example -

FORT POND (f. by Fortune Prospect). 5 wins, 2 to 4, $135,769, Blue Sparkler S. (MTH, $21,000), Prom S. (MED, $21,000), 2nd Thirty Zip H -R (CRC, $5,190).

In this case, this mare won at least 2 open stakes races, the Blue Sparkler Stakes at Monmouth and the Prom Stakes at the Meadowlands. She ran second in the Thirty Zip Handicap at Calder, which was a restricted race. How the race was restricted is not given, but I would guess perhaps it was only open to Florida Bred or maybe Florida Sired horses, something along those lines.

Java Gold@TFT
08-15-2009, 05:31 AM
Most Catalogs will often have the name of the stakes race that the horse won and the track it was run at listed afterwords. Restricted stakes races are denoted by -R.

I completely agree with what you are saying. The sales catalogues do list the races won and placed in. It's just that at one point it was prestigious to get "black type" on your pedigree page. Now, if you just win any old stakes regardless of grade or value then you get the same "black type" designation in the book as a multiple G-I winner. JMO, but it is slightly deceptive to people who really aren't sure of what they are looking for. Maybe the same people look at PP's and don't know the difference between a nwx1 and a nwx2. To the uninitiated they might just both look like allowance races.

I was just trying to point out that just looking for boldfaced capital letters on a pedigree page doesn't hold the prestige it once did.

macguy
08-16-2009, 12:13 AM
I completely agree with what you are saying. The sales catalogues do list the races won and placed in. It's just that at one point it was prestigious to get "black type" on your pedigree page. Now, if you just win any old stakes regardless of grade or value then you get the same "black type" designation in the book as a multiple G-I winner. JMO, but it is slightly deceptive to people who really aren't sure of what they are looking for. Maybe the same people look at PP's and don't know the difference between a nwx1 and a nwx2. To the uninitiated they might just both look like allowance races.

I was just trying to point out that just looking for boldfaced capital letters on a pedigree page doesn't hold the prestige it once did.

Ah yes, I see what you mean.

I do believe that currently the purse must be at least $45,000 in order for the horses that placed to receive black type, not sure if it's been raised to $50,000.

Here's a good link about the history of Black Type.
http://www.equineline.com/dirreffr.cfm?topic=rfbtstak.htm