PDA

View Full Version : Another Government Whitewash:Buy your Neighbor an F-150

JustRalph
08-14-2009, 08:30 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32405860/ns/business-autos/

Cash for Clunkers paying for F-150 Trucks and Cadillac's

Help pay your neighbors mortgage and watch him drive home in his new Caddy that you helped him pay for............

From the article:
Even the Top 10 list of mostly smaller, fuel-efficient cars that LaHood has cited as evidence of the program's success is being questioned. A different Top 10 sales list produced by Edmunds.com, an auto consumer Web site, shows fewer small cars and more large vehicles like the F-150 and utility vehicles make up the best sellers.

A list of eligible vehicles has been available to the public on the clunker program's Web site, http://www.cars.gov, White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki said. Edmunds.com's lists of clunker sales did not come from the government's data, she said.

much more at the link

Like this:

It's not just Honda Civics and Toyota Priuses, two cars that get as much as 29 mpg and 50 mpg respectively, that people can buy with the $3 billion in government rebates. They can also buy versions of the 2009 Lexus RX 350 or 2009 Lincoln MKX, both pricey five-passenger utility vehicles that get about 19 mpg and are capable of towing a small boat.

Buyers must have trade-ins that qualify for such deals — comparable vehicle types with at least 2 mpg less in fuel efficiency than the new purchase. And the new vehicle can't cost more than $45,000.

Even a high-end 2009 BMW X3 crossover utility vehicle, priced at just under $40,000, counts as a gas saver eligible under the government program, with 19 mpg.

DJofSD
08-14-2009, 09:57 AM
It's all just another government sponsered scam. I thought we had enough of it from the the SEC.

From yesterday's LA Times, why no real clunkers are eligible (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-clunkers13-2009aug13,0,6098269.story) .

Why 'clunkers' program won't take some of the most polluting cars

The classic car lobby pushed to exclude vehicles made before 1984, protecting the market for parts. Consumer and environmental groups, too busy fighting for fuel efficiency, went along with it.more at the link

Marshall Bennett
08-14-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm waiting for the next " nanny state " project . Perhaps gas for trash , or something along those lines . After all , we got them their cars , they'll need gas .

PaceAdvantage
08-14-2009, 11:46 AM
My clunker actually qualifies me for $3,500 towards one of the brand new, V8, 400+HP 2010 Camaros!!!!! I was shocked when I found out, but happy at the same time...:lol:

DJofSD
08-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Er, Mike, you live in NYC, right? How can you really use a car like that in NYC? Or do you plan to drive to NJ over the weekend? :)

ddog
08-14-2009, 01:10 PM
They seem not to feel any sense of worry about getting some of the cash.

The whole thing is a pitiful example of the "something for nothing for everyone" mentality that pervades the country.

The Fed/gvt/treas/banksters have set up and/or accelerated a sense of "to hell with the rules" , any scam is a good scam.

If will come BACK to haunt them.

Massive, utterly massive default and debt repudiation is coming.

cash for anything , uncle ben style. it's the future.

lsbets
08-14-2009, 01:26 PM
My clunker actually qualifies me for $3,500 towards one of the brand new, V8, 400+HP 2010 Camaros!!!!! I was shocked when I found out, but happy at the same time...:lol:

Mike, its a cool car, but be a consistent man of principle and don't get one as long as the government owns the company. Go out and get a mustang.

PaceAdvantage
08-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Er, Mike, you live in NYC, right? How can you really use a car like that in NYC? Or do you plan to drive to NJ over the weekend? :)I live 30+ minutes away from NYC....and I tend to travel mostly during non-rush hours, so I will have lots of room to move....;)

PaceAdvantage
08-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Mike, its a cool car, but be a consistent man of principle and don't get one as long as the government owns the company. Go out and get a mustang.If you want me to be a consistent man of principle, then there is no way in hell I can get a Mustang. That would be the equivalent of me hanging a Red Sox banner on my wall...ain't ever gonna happen...:lol:

Saratoga_Mike
08-14-2009, 06:17 PM
What kind of mileage does a 400+HP Camaro get?

PaceAdvantage
08-14-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm not entirely sure...the only MPG I've been able to find on the chevy site is for the V6 300HP version (300HP on a V6 in and of itself is pretty wild...and it gets in the high 20s if I'm not mistaken).

But back to the 400HP version, it obviously gets better MPG than my 1994 Z28...lol...which only has a 285HP Lt1 V8 engine (same one used in the Corvette at the time).

Saratoga_Mike
08-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Obviously better than the 1994 Z28...lol...which only has a 285HP Lt1 V8 engine (same one used in the Corvette at the time).

Googled it: 23 MPG...amazing that 400+HP would get 23 MPG. Maybe it isn't amazing as I know very little about cars.

PaceAdvantage
08-14-2009, 06:57 PM
I didn't know the exact number either....I edited my reply to you after you answered back....I'm pretty amazed at that number myself, as the car does not shut down any of the cylinders when cruising like other big powerful modern gas-guzzling engines sometimes do to get better MPGs....

Saratoga_Mike
08-14-2009, 07:02 PM
I didn't know the exact number either....I edited my reply to you after you answered back....I'm pretty amazed at that number myself, as the car does not shut down any of the cylinders when cruising like other big powerful modern gas-guzzling engines sometimes do to get better MPGs....

I thought a hotshot like you would drive a 7-series BMW, no? Joking.

Marshall Bennett
08-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Googled it: 23 MPG...amazing that 400+HP would get 23 MPG. Maybe it isn't amazing as I know very little about cars.
One reason may be that outside of the engine it doesn't weigh anything ?

Saratoga_Mike
08-14-2009, 07:07 PM
One reason may be that outside of the engine it doesn't weigh anything ?

That makes sense. Maybe it's made of composite material like the forthcoming, but much delayed Boeing Dreamliner!

PaceAdvantage
08-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Depending on transmission, it's between 3800 and 3900 lbs....sounds pretty heavy to me....:lol:

PaceAdvantage
08-14-2009, 07:11 PM
I thought a hotshot like you would drive a 7-series BMW, no? Joking.Maybe if you guys would click on a few more ads...:lol: ...joking....

On a more serious note, every time someone blows by me driving like a complete moron on the highways of metro NY, seriously, 8 or 9 times out of 10, it's a person driving a BMW...why is that?

Saratoga_Mike
08-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Maybe if you guys would click on a few more ads...:lol: ...joking....

On a more serious note, every time someone blows by me driving like a complete moron on the highways of metro NY, seriously, 8 or 9 times out of 10, it's a person driving a BMW...why is that?

Well you've called me moronic in the past and I drive a 1998 BMW, so the whole world should make sense now. I don't live in NY, though. I drive by that area (Garden State Parkway to 87 North) about four or five times/yr and I generally agree with your observation. But I'm not a weaver or much of a speeder. My guess is the BMW attracts a certain type of driver. Me, I bought one when I was 27 to impress women. It didn't work; instead, I had to rely on my charm and good looks.

JustRalph
08-14-2009, 09:16 PM
I saw a couple of the new Camaro's this week on the road in NC

very nice..........

PaceAdvantage
08-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Well you've called me moronic in the pastI'd like to check that out...do you have a link to my little episode of name calling?

PaceAdvantage
08-15-2009, 07:41 PM
I'd like to check that out...do you have a link to my little episode of name calling?Never mind...found it myself. As I just stated in that other thread, I stand by my moron comment 100%

I would apologize and take it back in a heartbeat if I felt otherwise.

rastajenk
08-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Now that kind of sincerity you don't see everyday.

boxcar
08-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Now that kind of sincerity you don't see everyday.

:lol: :lol: At least PA didn't pull a liberal-type apology that says, "I apologize that you misunderstood what I meant when I called you a moron". Or "I'm sorry you took my remarks out of context". :lol:

Boxcar