PDA

View Full Version : What are some of the Dumbest questions asked by the press?

Hanover1
08-14-2009, 12:10 AM
Lets hear about the crazy interviews we have seen in the past, or you have wittnessed on a local level. I liked the question posed to Baffert: "You came within a nose of the Triple Crown-how does that feel"? Baffert replied: "You know, you are a @!x%&!

kenwoodallpromos
08-14-2009, 02:56 AM
In horseracing- How do you like your chances in the upcoming stakes race?
In non-racing- Did you know she was a minor when you slept with her?

foregoforever
08-14-2009, 04:18 AM
"How did Damascus sleep last night?"

Whiteley: "How the hell would I know? I didn’t sleep with him."

Pace Cap'n
08-14-2009, 07:25 AM
One of my all-time favorite comebacks, from any sport...

Howard Cosell, to Steve Cauthen after one of the TC races:

"Stevie, how could you have ridden a better race?"

"Better??? Hell, I won the race didn't I?"

Paraphrased, but close.

Tom
08-14-2009, 07:30 AM
Donna Brothers interviewing the WRONG driver after the Hambletonian Oaks!

"They're telling me you didn't win.....see ya!":rolleyes::lol:

JustRalph
08-14-2009, 08:42 AM
That Japanese reporter at the Derby a few years back

"Mr Frankel, If Empire Maker doesn't win this years Derby......will you bring him back next year and try again? "

GaryG
08-14-2009, 09:41 AM
To Bill Hartack: "When did you know you had the race won Bill?"

Answer:"When they put my f***ing number up."

joanied
08-14-2009, 11:06 AM
To Bill Hartack: "When did you know you had the race won Bill?"

Answer:"When they put my f***ing number up."

You just hadda love Hartack:ThmbUp:

I have nothing specific...but any question about 'how do you feel' after a trainer/owner/jock looses a big race...
:bang:

rastajenk
08-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Remember when the young reporter on ESPN asked Lost in the Fog's owner how winning that particular race (whichever one it was) compared to being in the Battle of the Bulge? That was a great moment in racing coverage. :lol:

sandpit
08-14-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm not sure about the specifics on this one, but it happened at Arlington Park a few years back in an interview after a stakes race on a Saturday.
Christine Gabriel was asking the winning owner about the horse, whom he bred. He told her he still owned the mare, and she asked him if he was going to breed her back to the same stallion.
He looked at her stone cold and said, "He's dead, Christine."

sandpit
08-14-2009, 02:02 PM
I swear I'm not making this up.
Jessica P., the girl that works at FG and AP now, used to work at Louisiana Downs. I was watching their signal right after Barbaro broke down in the Preakness. She comes on to do her paddock spiel and says, "Well that was awful what happened to Barbaro, but he should be fine and hopefully will run in the Belmont."

riskman
08-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Irish trainer and TV race commentator Ted Walsh said:

"This is really a lovely horse and I speak from personal experience since I mounted her mother."

Funny, but not sure if it is actually true.

Hanover1
08-14-2009, 02:42 PM
I recall a reporter asking McCarron what makes his winning mount so special. His reply: "He gets it done quicker than the others".

DeanT
08-14-2009, 02:49 PM
My favorite response to a question about a horse who fell in the post parade and had to be scratched.

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JS3as9uB0XI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JS3as9uB0XI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

Doc
08-14-2009, 08:38 PM
LOL ... Dean T, that was a hilarious clip! Talk about telling it like it is! Bet those clowns at ESPN were mortified!

I'd also like to add that this is a great thread!

Jim the Tolerable
08-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Somebody asked Asmussen, "Is Curlin the best horse you have ever trained?"
His understated reply, "That would be a safe thing to say."
Also, "What makes Curlin so good?"
Totally deadpan, "He runs faster than the others do."

bisket
08-14-2009, 08:48 PM
how many jockies does it take to ride a horse?
which jocky trains your horse?
theres your daily double :faint:

JustRalph
08-14-2009, 09:10 PM
My favorite response to a question about a horse who fell in the post parade and had to be scratched.

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JS3as9uB0XI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JS3as9uB0XI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

"Case of bad timing? No Shit.......... "

That is great................. all he left out was " Sherlock!"

Dick Powell
08-14-2009, 11:28 PM
The one I like happened 20 years ago. Back then the Wood Memorial was two weeks before the Kentucky Derby and Easy Goer had just won it. Shug was happy and relieved after the race and a reporter from the Moonie newspaper asked him what would Easy Goer's next start be. I can still remember the look on Shug's face like it was yesterday.

In other sports, after Mickey Mantle had his liver transplant, a reporter asked the doctor who performed the operation how the donor was doing.

Alex Johnson, who once had a gun in the dugout during a Reds game, was nervously interviewed by a reporter after a game he hit a home run.
Reporter: Alex, last year at this time you had two homers; this year you have five. What's the difference.
Johnson: Three.