PDA

View Full Version : PC Tools for Thoroughbred Handicapper

Jake
08-13-2009, 08:26 PM
This is a duplicate thread. I realized this should be moved over here to the book section.

Perfect timing with Bob Pitlak's posting. I just finished reading his PC Tools for the Thoroughbred Handicapper and found it worth reading. Nothing earth shaking here, but some nice ideas applied to spreadsheet samples which should be handy for the Excel handicapper. Also, an interesting chapter on corrrelations at 6f sprints at Aqueduct between the Bris speed figures, the DRF speed ratings, and the addition of a track variant. Small sample size but certainly easily duplicated with other data samples.

I did have a problem downloading his spreadsheet samples from his site. But an email to Bob directly resolved any problems. I suggest if you purchase the book you might want to do the same, rather than following the instructions in the book. Perhaps Bob can give better advice on this here, with the earlier problems possibly fixed. Bob was friendly and quick to answer my questions.

The spreadsheet models are very straightforward. And, if you like them, easy to adapt or combine with other spreadsheets. Nothing too difficult.

Along the same lines, if you like serious programming in Excel, let me also recommend Professional Excel Development by Rob Bovey and other multiple authors. Outstanding book with some heavy sledding.

Jake

vtbob
08-15-2009, 05:53 PM
I can't account for the problems I'm having with my web server. All messages to http://sports-bet-advantage.com/cath.htm are supposed to be automatically forwarded to bob@pitlak.com, but so far, it's not happening. In any case, (a) if you purchase the book from http://sports-bet-advantage.com, the download intsructions will be included on a sheet included with the book. If you purchase from amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com, email bob@pitlak.com instead of bob@sports-bet-advantage.com

I apologize for the inconvenience, but I have tried several approaches to no avail and now need to contact my web host to see what the problem is.