PDA

View Full Version : Greg Wolf

cees with dees
08-12-2009, 01:27 PM
I've heard some seriously ridiculous comments from racing analysts through the years but this one really takes the cake.
Platinum just wired the NW1 first race at Saratoga loose on the lead in a 49 plus half and Greg Wolf said after the race, and I quote: "Look out Rachel Alexandra"!. And he was dead serious.
Ben

Imriledup
08-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Nice guy but knows nothing about the sport of horse racing.

macguy
08-12-2009, 02:36 PM
:lol:

There's no way he was serious.

InsideThePylons-MW
08-12-2009, 02:48 PM
That's one of the main problems with TVG.

They hire morons.

How can anybody learn anything at TVG when they are surrounded by morons? A guy that knows nothing about horse racing trying to learn about it from the TVG morons obviously will become a moron too.

The most pathetic thing about it is that just like racing executives, the morons go around patting the other morons on the back telling them how smart they are.

senortout
08-12-2009, 02:50 PM
He may have been a tad sarcastic, but no way was he serious.....what you got 'tween yer ears there?

senortout

Marshall Bennett
08-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Only wish Dell would pull the plug on that disgusting lollipop ad . :mad:

tag
08-12-2009, 04:19 PM
I've heard some seriously ridiculous comments from racing analysts through the years but this one really takes the cake.
Platinum just wired the NW1 first race at Saratoga loose on the lead in a 49 plus half and Greg Wolf said after the race, and I quote: "Look out Rachel Alexandra"!. And he was dead serious.
Ben

you've obviously havent watched greg wolf long enough to know that he has a very dry, sarcastic sense of humor.

Bison
08-12-2009, 04:35 PM
you've obviously havent watched greg wolf long enough to know that he has a very dry, sarcastic sense of humor.

I've watched him long enough to know that he was dead serious.

ENT222
08-12-2009, 05:34 PM
I agree he was serious as there was no chuckle or comment there after. He knows somebody there that is the only reason why he continues to work there. I can easily be better than him, looks and especially handicapping, although it doesn't take much I would clearly be superior. Anyways he needs to go.

statik27
08-12-2009, 06:18 PM
I agree he was serious as there was no chuckle or comment there after. He knows somebody there that is the only reason why he continues to work there. I can easily be better than him, looks and especially handicapping, although it doesn't take much I would clearly be superior. Anyways he needs to go.

This thread is like the perfect Storm. Combining peoples irrational hate of TVG and ardent love of Rachel Alexandra.

Come on guys, he was kidding. If anything he was giving a compliment to an average joe horse for a job well done. No need to bring the claws out.

And ENT222 the above post is a little tinfoil hat, relax man.

tag
08-12-2009, 06:43 PM

well if there was no chuckle or comment afterwards, then obviously greg wolf was intending to be serious [sarcasm]<===== i had to put that there so you'd catch my sarcasm because, as you know, you have to qualify every attempt at sarcasm with a sign, note, gesture that you are indeed being sarcastic. [sarcasm]

Hajck Hillstrom
08-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Greg is a Host... not an Analyst.

Here is the acid test.... If the statement "Lookout Rachel Alexandra" wasn't prefaced with a energetic "WOW!"...... then he was probably kidding. ;)

ENT222
08-12-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm not a mean person but one has to think how is he still hosting. I'm sure he is a nice guy but majority of what he says is rediculous. I've seen Mr. B's reaction to his comments or suggestions and he is lost for words. On a side note does anyone think Paul LoDuca was drinking that night he was on set with Mike Smith, it appeared he was pretty lit.

KingChas
08-13-2009, 12:44 AM
How can anybody learn anything at TVG when they are surrounded by morons?

Well they do cater to the California crowd.
Just Joking! :lol: :lol:

levinmpa
08-13-2009, 09:17 AM
I think you might be better served muting the volume unless Ron Ellis, Paul la Duca Tom Amos or "the Sarge" are on the air. The rest of them don't merit my attention.

Tom
08-13-2009, 09:22 AM
I know your are busy getting ready for Toga next week, Al....
I'll get this one for you.....

Is is October already?

;):D

Marshall Bennett
08-13-2009, 10:46 AM
They have that community board over at TVG which is tailor made for ripping TVG personalities . Those who feel the need , knock yourself out . :)

Hajck Hillstrom
08-13-2009, 11:16 AM
On a side note does anyone think Paul LoDuca was drinking that night he was on set with Mike Smith, it appeared he was pretty lit.Well, rumor has it that Todd has asked Paul to fill Frank Lyon's shoes on set..... :lol:

TommyCh
08-13-2009, 12:01 PM
It's pretty much the only time I see him, but when Wolf fills in for Carothers on Blinkers Off, I think his picks are at least as good as Carothers', usually better. Of all the people who do that show, Wolf and Illman are the best handicappers, better than Carothers and Watchmaker.

castaway01
08-13-2009, 12:11 PM
That's one of the main problems with TVG.

They hire morons.

How can anybody learn anything at TVG when they are surrounded by morons? A guy that knows nothing about horse racing trying to learn about it from the TVG morons obviously will become a moron too.

The most pathetic thing about it is that just like racing executives, the morons go around patting the other morons on the back telling them how smart they are.

You really thought he was serious? You need the title of "King Troll" for that one.

InsideThePylons-MW
08-13-2009, 12:33 PM
You really thought he was serious? You need the title of "King Troll" for that one.

I didn't see it and my comments were about TVG in general.

Imriledup
09-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Ben

In the graveyard of champions, anything can happen! :lol:

Stillriledup
12-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Greg is a Host... not an Analyst.

Here is the acid test.... If the statement "Lookout Rachel Alexandra" wasn't prefaced with a energetic "WOW!"...... then he was probably kidding. ;)

He's an analyst now! (i know, you're lmafo'ing!) I did see "GREGS PICK 4" the other day. Seriously, i thought i was seeing things but no, Greg's pick 4 was available! (yes, and Ken's pick 4 also).

lamboguy
12-01-2010, 02:08 PM
He's an analyst now! (i know, you're lmafo'ing!) I did see "GREGS PICK 4" the other day. Seriously, i thought i was seeing things but no, Greg's pick 4 was available! (yes, and Ken's pick 4 also).i just put TVG on, he is now going for the gusto, he is handicapping harness and quarter horses at evangeline right in front of a national television audience. of course we all know his picks, like everyone on TVG, come from the back room! so i guess it really doesn't matter what they say anyhow

Stillriledup
12-01-2010, 02:20 PM
i just put TVG on, he is now going for the gusto, he is handicapping harness and quarter horses at evangeline right in front of a national television audience. of course we all know his picks, like everyone on TVG, come from the back room! so i guess it really doesn't matter what they say anyhow

Greg Wolf is a fascinating guy...he's been hanging around horse racing and tvg for years now, at least 10 years i'm thinking and he still hasnt learned ONE thing about horse racing. I don't know if he's not trying or just doesn't care, he's now putting together pick 4 plays, i burst out laughing :lol: when i saw that, i guess they figure he's ready for the 'big time' now!

If Greg lost his job at TVG something tells me he wouldnt be able to pay his bills with horsebetting as his sole income.

lamboguy
12-01-2010, 02:24 PM
hey, i got a tough time of it myself, and i am supposed to know something!

onefast99
12-01-2010, 02:27 PM
You are the best with the 9-2 shots, I haven't lost with you yet!

Stillriledup
12-01-2010, 02:28 PM

Its not hard, any caveman can do it! :lol:

Marshall Bennett
12-01-2010, 03:08 PM
of course we all know his picks, like everyone on TVG, come from the back room! so i guess it really doesn't matter what they say anyhow
What back room would that be? Are you saying someone else does the handicapping and the host/analyst stamp their names on it?

lamboguy
12-01-2010, 03:16 PM
What back room would that be? Are you saying someone else does the handicapping and the host/analyst stamp their names on it?100%

richard perloff just went all in the first at hollywood, now that is handicaping at its best!

he loves to buy races

netbet
12-01-2010, 03:29 PM
For the .50 Pick 4 at Hollywood today (early races)....there are two fields with 5 and two fields with 6 runners....

Surprised he didn't suggest an a/a/a/a and hope for a bomb....what's that cost? $450?

I hope Santa Anita has some better racing...if not...I'm done with SoCal forever.

I looked at the Hol card today with the bad weather in New York ...what a mistake....horrid looking card at Hollywood.

lamboguy
12-01-2010, 03:37 PM
he just caught the 3rd choice @ 7/2. good all button today i guess, now all he needs is the next 3 races to cash

lamboguy
12-01-2010, 04:23 PM
in the second leg he played 3 horses, one of them the 3/2 favorite which happened to win, he is still live!

lamboguy
12-01-2010, 04:39 PM
in the next leg, richard only used 2 horses, they were the top 2 picks in a 6 horse field and unfortunately he needed to go 3 deep as the 3rd favorite won the race.

nothing to frown about though, there is another pick 4 coming right up and i am sure there will be a ticket to show the public for that one as well.

Marshall Bennett
12-01-2010, 04:40 PM
100%

richard perloff just went all in the first at hollywood, now that is handicaping at its best!

he loves to buy races
Are you saying he was told to go all in the 1st and that wasn't his opinon? You don't seriously believe these guys are taking orders in regards to their selections?

lamboguy
12-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Are you saying he was told to go all in the 1st and that wasn't his opinon? You don't seriously believe these guys are taking orders in regards to their selections?on this particular ticket, i really don't think there are to many people that can devise a garbage ticket like that one, it must have richard's own personal concoction. as far as knowing that much about horseracing, richard is pretty limited. but i will give him some credit when it comes to pedigree, he seems to be on top of his game there.

i have actually stopped watching TVG for the last 3 months, i just put it on today because it was a slow day.

InsideThePylons-MW
12-01-2010, 05:33 PM
i really don't think there are to many people that can devise a garbage ticket like that one, it must have richard's own personal concoction.

After looking at his p-4 ticket schemes, I now understand why he preaches that takeout doesn't matter.

lamboguy
12-01-2010, 05:52 PM
After looking at his p-4 ticket schemes, I now understand why he preaches that takeout doesn't matter.in today's pick 4 richard had the first 2 favorites in every one of his races. he played a total of 60 tickets. i have no clue how he expects to make money with that stratagy for the people that are faithful listener's to his selections.

Tom
12-01-2010, 09:49 PM
When the money is not form your own pocket, it dones't count.
Any FOOL can bet imaginary money.
Look at Hammerin' Hank.

Marshall Bennett
12-02-2010, 06:07 AM
in today's pick 4 richard had the first 2 favorites in every one of his races. he played a total of 60 tickets. i have no clue how he expects to make money with that stratagy for the people that are faithful listener's to his selections.
He's remarked several times in the past that he doesn't play all of his selections or tickets. He's paid to give out selections but highly doubt he or any of them can afford to play each and every one.

lamboguy
12-02-2010, 06:27 AM
He's remarked several times in the past that he doesn't play all of his selections or tickets. He's paid to give out selections but highly doubt he or any of them can afford to play each and every one.if the selection's are not good for his own personal use, why broadcast them on the air? in my life, i don't think that i have played a total of 10 pick 4 tickets. i bet pretty good 13 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. the times that i have played the pick 3 or pick 4 is when i had at least 2 singles in the sequence, and made a guess with up to 4 horses in the other ones. i have never gone with the "all button". if "all" was in my vocabulary i would take up investing in quick pick lottery tickets instead of trying to pick these horses.

duncan04
12-02-2010, 01:09 PM
if the selection's are not good for his own personal use, why broadcast them on the air? in my life, i don't think that i have played a total of 10 pick 4 tickets. i bet pretty good 13 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. the times that i have played the pick 3 or pick 4 is when i had at least 2 singles in the sequence, and made a guess with up to 4 horses in the other ones. i have never gone with the "all button". if "all" was in my vocabulary i would take up investing in quick pick lottery tickets instead of trying to pick these horses.

Because that is what they are paid to do. If anyone bets those blindly, I would be surprised.

lamboguy
12-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Because that is what they are paid to do. If anyone bets those blindly, I would be surprised.i knew a guy that did, and he went clean as a clam!

johnhannibalsmith
12-02-2010, 01:28 PM
i knew a guy that did, and he went clean as a clam!

Good for TVG. It sounds as though they beat the Publisher's Clearing House or the Nigerian Prince that lost his wallet in Aspen to the punch.

Stillriledup
12-02-2010, 03:18 PM
He's remarked several times in the past that he doesn't play all of his selections or tickets. He's paid to give out selections but highly doubt he or any of them can afford to play each and every one.

That's equivalent to a New Balance salesman trying to sell you sneakers while wearing Nike-ees. Or a new car salesman trying to sell you an Audi while he drives up in his Bimmer.

johnhannibalsmith
12-02-2010, 03:31 PM
That's equivalent to a New Balance salesman trying to sell you sneakers while wearing Nike-ees. Or a new car salesman trying to sell you an Audi while he drives up in his Bimmer.

Actually it's more like a barefoot guy trying to sell you sneakers while he bicycles to his job as a car salesman.

Stillriledup
03-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Greg Wolf released a winning Pick 4 ticket yesterday at SA, paid about 200 bucks for 50 cents. This might be Greg's first ever winner on the air, so, TVG commemorated it by running a 'commercial' about Greg's 'hit'.

Lots of hugs, kisses and back pats. Congrats Greg, you finally did it! :lol:

Stillriledup
11-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Does this guy ever say anything that's accurate?

He said yesterday after the Mississippi inquiry/DQ situation that it didnt involve the winner and today, before the last race at Aqu with 2 late scratches, he's like "there's goig to be a long delay" and that's not the case with NY. Other tracks yes, NY(ra) tracks, no, they load and run as fast as possible.

This guy has been around for over a decade and he talks like he doesnt really follow the game at all.

Tape Reader
11-22-2013, 06:57 PM
I think Greg Wolf is refreshing. He compliments whomever he is with. He seems like a very likeable person. I think he could make it anywhere in TV/movies.

ronsmac
11-22-2013, 08:20 PM
He does seem like a cool and likable dude.

Stillriledup
11-22-2013, 08:22 PM
He does seem like a cool and likable dude.
He's a nice guy, and likeable for sure.

thaskalos
11-22-2013, 08:29 PM
He's a nice guy, and likeable for sure.
He is a GREAT guy. Especially with the sound off.

Stillriledup
11-22-2013, 09:29 PM
\ :D

Awesome.

Tara73
11-23-2013, 01:49 AM
Greg Wolf is funniest when he visually comments on a horse, never explaining what he appreciates about the animal. Does he actually believe anyone thinks he knows what he's observing?

Delta Cone
11-23-2013, 06:16 PM

I guess Greg Wolf gave out the winner of the 6th at Hollywood on Saturday. Todd Schrupp pointed it out and said something about how you shouldn't watch TVG with the mute button on.

I agree with you Thask, and instantly thought of your comment when Schrupp said that. I wonder if it was a subtle shot at this thread? Lol.

Stillriledup
11-23-2013, 09:11 PM
I guess Greg Wolf gave out the winner of the 6th at Hollywood on Saturday. Todd Schrupp pointed it out and said something about how you shouldn't watch TVG with the mute button on.

I agree with you Thask, and instantly thought of your comment when Schrupp said that. I wonder if it was a subtle shot at this thread? Lol.

Todd reads these boards, *hi Todd!* so yeah, its a shot at the 'message board crew'.

Maybe if Todd learns a little more about the game, he can come here and feel comfortable, instead of just lurking? ;)

thespaah
11-24-2013, 01:05 AM
Todd reads these boards, *hi Todd!* so yeah, its a shot at the 'message board crew'.

Maybe if Todd learns a little more about the game, he can come here and feel comfortable, instead of just lurking? ;)
"Todd reads these boards"..
How can you confirm this?

wiffleball whizz
11-24-2013, 02:19 AM

Why doesnt he jus come on here and post with the big boys?

Stillriledup
12-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Why doesnt he jus come on here and post with the big boys?

He might get exposed as a fraud?

Btw, Gregs "picks" get this ladies and Germs, Greg Wolf is giving out a pick 5 at MOUNTAINEER. Yes, the Mountain.

I guess if you live long enough, you'll see everything. :bang:

Stillriledup
03-20-2014, 01:30 AM
Greg Wolf?

Bueller?

Havent seen him on the air recently?? Anyone seen him?

cj
03-20-2014, 01:48 AM
I was on with him today. He's been on FS1 a lot too.

Stillriledup
03-20-2014, 01:52 AM
I was on with him today. He's been on FS1 a lot too.

Good to hear, i'm glad he's still there, i like him.