PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Fantasy

FantasticDan
08-12-2009, 12:55 PM
As a big fan of the late Tin Cup Chalice, I also follow the career of his half-brother, Mr. Fantasy. Mr. Fantasy was shut down back in May after coming down with a fever, and upon recovery from that, still "not moving right", according to trainer Kiarnan McLaughlin.

And I hadn't heard anything since.. no stories or workouts. So I did some digging around and found this blog:

http://waytintotheraces.blogspot.com/

..which details all that's been going on with MF the past few months.. surgery, bone chips, cannon bone grooving, and the "pinfiring" of his shins along with some drug therapy. Also, his knees were "blistered".

Now I've only been around horse racing for a few years, and I'd never heard of this "pinfiring" or "blistering" practice before. Am I correct that it's not something that's commonly done with race horses anymore? Or is it just not really talked about?

I'm not suggesting there's anything "wrong" with the practice; I was just surprised that I'd never heard of it before. One site said it was something that was commonly done with race horses in the past, but not so much anymore as equine treatments have progressed.

The blog states that the overall prognosis for MF is "good", and he should be back in 2010. Another forum (which knew about the pinfiring) stated that they'd "heard" MF wouldn't be racing anymore and would be in the breeding shed in 2010..

While I'd love to see MF continue racing (as long as he's totally healed/sound), he seems to have a lot of leg issues for a horse that's only had, what, four starts in his lifetime? I guess time will tell. At this point I'd probably be more comfortable with him being retired.

Just an FYI for any other Mr. Fantasy fans out there. :)

jognlope
08-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Hey I was the original Mr. Fantasy nut! Thought I'd see him at the Derby, hope he rallies and gets in winner's circle.

Stevie Belmont
08-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Talented, fast horse. Thought he had a really bright future from day one.

He could be finished though. Hopefully he will come back, but from everything I have heard, it's not promising at this point.