PDA

View Full Version : 5th race Delaware 8/11....Could somebody please explain to me Saez' ride on #12

InsideThePylons-MW
08-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Takes the horse to the back......no big deal

Never moves his hands until at least half way down stretch.

Horse pulled him all the way around on his own.

When he finally moved his hands, horse exploded. He never hit him, just flaged him and shook the reins.

The Steward's view replay looked real bad.

ryesteve
08-11-2009, 03:48 PM
I don't have the head-on, but the pan didn't look as bad as you made it sound. The way I saw it, the 9 came out into his path and made him wait a bit.

Robert Fischer
08-11-2009, 06:19 PM
You have to factor that a lot of that late move was attributed to the winner 10Brave Tiger stalking the pace while 4wide on the 1st turn and 2wide the second turn, and then the 10BraveTiger and the 6WatzhisName dueling in the stretch while Valid Notebook didn't do any running until mid stretch.

The winner was clearly best. If Valid Notebook can come back into a race isn't favoring a forward setup he has a big shot. Vazquez seems to be in a groove with his runners and they have been coming back good lately.

tag
08-11-2009, 06:32 PM
i bet that horse and could not believe what i was seeing. i thought maybe saez realized he had no horse and didnt want to do any more harm to him, but then he starts gobbling up ground on his own and finally the idiot starts hitting him with the whip. that race sucked to watch. it was very fishy.

Robert Fischer
08-11-2009, 06:40 PM
put it this way... if Valid Notebook were ridden 4wide into the 1st turn while stalking the pace, and then (even trying) to duel with WatzhisName entering the stretch, there is no guarantee he would have been even 2nd.

If the winner Brave Tiger were given a suckup trip his late run would have looked just as nice - if not better. Most likely Watz his Name would stroll home and Brave Tiger probably would have gotten 2nd passing a staggering used up Valid Notebook

tag
08-11-2009, 06:45 PM
put it this way... if Valid Notebook were ridden 4wide into the 1st turn while stalking the pace, and then (even trying) to duel with WatzhisName entering the stretch, there is no guarantee he would have been even 2nd.

If the winner Brave Tiger were given a suckup trip his late run would have looked just as nice - if not better. He probably would have gotten 2nd passing a staggering used up Valid Notebook

you're missing the point. no matter what kind of trips these horses had, the rider of the :12: did not put an all out effort to try to win that race. his hands were motionless mid-stretch while the other jockes were working their butts off. i'm not saying that the :12: would have won, i'm just saying the jock looked to be not trying to win.

another dumb ride was the ride David Cohen gave the :4: horse in the second race. Cohen's horse ranges up boldly to the leader mid-stretch so he thinks he's gonna go right on by so he never hits the horse with his whip. the other rider of course is whipping away and comes back on the :4: .

Robert Fischer
08-11-2009, 07:07 PM
another dumb ride was the ride David Cohen gave the :4: horse in the second race. Cohen's horse ranges up boldly to the leader mid-stretch so he thinks he's gonna go right on by so he never hits the horse with his whip. the other rider of course is whipping away and comes back on the :4: .

That was a tough beat if you had the 4. It's hard to tell if she was just hanging and the whip would have made her quit, but it looked like she was going to win.

tag
08-11-2009, 07:26 PM
That was a tough beat if you had the 4. It's hard to tell if she was just hanging and the whip would have made her quit, but it looked like she was going to win.

it's the same issue i have with valid notebook. the results might have been the same, but i would have at least liked to see maximum effort by the jock. yes, it cost me a small pick 3.

InsideThePylons-MW
08-12-2009, 09:34 PM
I sent an email to a DTRC director and I give him an A+ for his effort in getting and giving me an explanation.

There was some further follow-up by the Stewards on this horse "VALID NOTEBOOK."
See the attached verbatim excerpt from the official Stewards' report for August 11, 2009:

Fifth Race – OFF THE TURF - #1, “Mistycal Light,” #2, “Solar Surprise,” #3, “Dancin Dixie Cat,” #4, “Brickell,” and #7, “Dropkick Murphy,” were scratched as this race is off the turf. #6, “Watz His Name,” was selected for a blood gas test. Chief State Steward Jack Houghton Jr., questioned Jockey Mr. Gabriel Saez concerning the horse “Valid Notebook” following the running of this race. Mr. Saez told Steward Houghton that the horse was not traveling very well throughout the race and he thought he did the best he could under the circumstances. The Stewards while observing the horse coming back from the race, it looked to be a little off. (Per Mr. Houghton: On August 12, 2009 the Stewards spoke with the Jockey Saez and Trainer, Juan Vasquez. Saez reported that he was nervous with the way the horse was traveling during the course of the race. Trainer Vasquez advised that the horse had a bow that he was monitoring and that his farrier had nicked the horse with a nail while it was being shod. Furthermore, it was reported to the Stewards also on 8-12-09 that Associate Commission Veterinarian, Kathleen Picciano placed “Valid Notebook” on the Vet’s List. Removal from the Commission Vet’s List will require that the horse be re-examined by the Commission Veterinarian, approved for work-out, blood drawn and tested clear before being able to be re-entered).

Now obviously racing a favorite who is lame from a bow and a blacksmith error can't be good for the betting public.....at least the stewards knew it looked bad and asked about it on their own to see what reasons there were for the obvious lack of effort.

I give them credit for being on the ball.

tag
08-12-2009, 11:05 PM
I sent an email to a DTRC director and I give him an A+ for his effort in getting and giving me an explanation.

There was some further follow-up by the Stewards on this horse "VALID NOTEBOOK."
See the attached verbatim excerpt from the official Stewards' report for August 11, 2009:

Fifth Race – OFF THE TURF - #1, “Mistycal Light,” #2, “Solar Surprise,” #3, “Dancin Dixie Cat,” #4, “Brickell,” and #7, “Dropkick Murphy,” were scratched as this race is off the turf. #6, “Watz His Name,” was selected for a blood gas test. Chief State Steward Jack Houghton Jr., questioned Jockey Mr. Gabriel Saez concerning the horse “Valid Notebook” following the running of this race. Mr. Saez told Steward Houghton that the horse was not traveling very well throughout the race and he thought he did the best he could under the circumstances. The Stewards while observing the horse coming back from the race, it looked to be a little off. (Per Mr. Houghton: On August 12, 2009 the Stewards spoke with the Jockey Saez and Trainer, Juan Vasquez. Saez reported that he was nervous with the way the horse was traveling during the course of the race. Trainer Vasquez advised that the horse had a bow that he was monitoring and that his farrier had nicked the horse with a nail while it was being shod. Furthermore, it was reported to the Stewards also on 8-12-09 that Associate Commission Veterinarian, Kathleen Picciano placed “Valid Notebook” on the Vet’s List. Removal from the Commission Vet’s List will require that the horse be re-examined by the Commission Veterinarian, approved for work-out, blood drawn and tested clear before being able to be re-entered).

Now obviously racing a favorite who is lame from a bow and a blacksmith error can't be good for the betting public.....at least the stewards knew it looked bad and asked about it on their own to see what reasons there were for the obvious lack of effort.

I give them credit for being on the ball.

this makes it even worse IMO. the stewards allowed a favorite to race with the knowledge that he was injured. thanks delaware. no more money from me.

Imriledup
08-12-2009, 11:24 PM
I don't think the bettors care about anything but a jock giving a full effort all the way to the wire. Any rider who wants to stiff a horse can just tell the judges the horse isn't traveling well and get off scott free. This is a very slippery slope. I think that if the horse is racing lame, the horse needs to be pulled up. If its not pulled up, the bettors expect that horse to be ridden all the way to the wire.

lamboguy
08-12-2009, 11:26 PM
I don't think the bettors care about anything but a jock giving a full effort all the way to the wire. Any rider who wants to stiff a horse can just tell the judges the horse isn't traveling well and get off scott free. This is a very slippery slope. I think that if the horse is racing lame, the horse needs to be pulled up. If its not pulled up, the bettors expect that horse to be ridden all the way to the wire.how many customer's did racing pick up with this latest fiasco?

Imriledup
08-12-2009, 11:27 PM
how many customer's did racing pick up with this latest fiasco?

Not too many i'd imagine.

InsideThePylons-MW
08-12-2009, 11:28 PM
I don't think the bettors care about anything but a jock giving a full effort all the way to the wire. Any rider who wants to stiff a horse can just tell the judges the horse isn't traveling well and get off scott free. This is a very slippery slope. I think that if the horse is racing lame, the horse needs to be pulled up. If its not pulled up, the bettors expect that horse to be ridden all the way to the wire.

This is why I'm against Betfair being promoted on US racing.

There would be so much scandal because the jockeys over here know they can get away with murder and nothing will happen to them.

I just think there would be so many scandalous things that come out, it would be bad in the long run.

Imriledup
08-12-2009, 11:37 PM
This is why I'm against Betfair being promoted on US racing.

There would be so much scandal because the jockeys over here know they can get away with murder and nothing will happen to them.

I just think there would be so many scandalous things that come out, it would be bad in the long run.

I would be able to put up with any shenanigans to be able to be a customer of betfair. I would win so much money on betfair that i wouldn't care about a few fixes here or there. (i''d notice it and cash in at a later date.)

InsideThePylons-MW
08-13-2009, 03:33 AM
I would be able to put up with any shenanigans to be able to be a customer of betfair. I would win so much money on betfair that i wouldn't care about a few fixes here or there. (i''d notice it and cash in at a later date.)

I agree 100% and completely understand.

I just think that after a while, when all the bad publicity hits the mainstream, that 98% of people will say that racing is fixed.

TonyK@HSH
08-13-2009, 08:48 PM
this makes it even worse IMO. the stewards allowed a favorite to race with the knowledge that he was injured. thanks delaware. no more money from me.

Tag,

The stewards did not know the horse was lame before the race. In fact Valid should have passed a pre race inspection by the vet. Many horses run with a bowed tendon. I for one am happy to see the stewards questioning the ride.

Tony