PDA

View Full Version : Need help with campaign....

Hanover1
08-11-2009, 03:02 AM
I am former harness trainer moving to the flats. While "jugheads" generally train the same, barring lameness and racing preference issues they all trained the same. My question here is what is the "typical" scenario for a runner already racing to be trained? Example: blowout 3 days out before race is normal for "jughead" at same distance as race. and jog miles every other day except walk after strong work. Give me an example outlining work for a sprinter and a distance horse if you would please.......

Robert Goren
08-11-2009, 11:05 AM
water every other day. food every third day. gallop once every two weeks. call the owner twice a day to ask for more money! JME ;)

Tom
08-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Welcome to the other side, "Bret!" ;)

I like to see some works every 6-10 days, not really concerned over the speed, just the spacing, and I give much more credit to works 4-5 furlongs.
A blowout close to race day is nice to see.

That said, at cheaper tracks, just racing every 15-30 days is all you will get out of the horses.

joanied
08-11-2009, 11:10 AM
I am former harness trainer moving to the flats. While "jugheads" generally train the same, barring lameness and racing preference issues they all trained the same. My question here is what is the "typical" scenario for a runner already racing to be trained? Example: blowout 3 days out before race is normal for "jughead" at same distance as race. and jog miles every other day except walk after strong work. Give me an example outlining work for a sprinter and a distance horse if you would please.......

"jugheads" :confused:

Hanover1
08-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Appreciate the reference to Bret-he was good.....Worked exclusivly for Hanover Shoe for a few decades..............

Hanover1
08-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Jughead is a term for Standardbreds that has endeared for years-also used to describe a boss or co-worker....

fmolf
08-11-2009, 06:19 PM
the flats are a lot less durable...a lot more temperamental...go off their feed regularly and do not generally do everything their trainers would like them to do!Other than that keeping the training regimen as light as possible to keep the horse fit seems to be an effective approach.Introducing change when things are not going well!Route to sprint...turf to dirt ....apprentice jock today...ship to a nearby track.....good luck hope you do well!

macguy
08-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Jughead is a term for Standardbreds that has endeared for years-also used to describe a boss or co-worker....

The Kentucky Derby for Standardbreds being "The Little Brown Jug."

http://www.littlebrownjug.com/

joanied
08-11-2009, 06:56 PM

:) thanks...I wondered what it reffered to...appreciate it.
By the way....good luck with your new training career!!

speed
08-11-2009, 09:23 PM

Hanover what is more important is how you want to get and keep a thoroughbred fit. Some prefer long and slow while others short and quick.

Every horse can also be different. Figuring out what each horse responds best to can turn a 10 claimer into a real earner.

Best of luck

magwell
08-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Best advise..... take a job with a good trainer and learn the game the right way.

kenwoodallpromos
08-12-2009, 03:05 AM
That covers a lot of the racing world! But what about the track and stste officials? What do you call them?
I think a claimer should be able to go 12.5 seconds per furlong in workouts (6f work= 1:15.00).

rokitman
08-12-2009, 07:21 AM
Best advise..... take a job with a good trainer and learn the game the right way.
Very good advice.

Very bad advice: get your ideas for training a race horse in internet forums.

Hanover1
08-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Actually, most advice posted thus far makes sense. And that is what most of conditioning is to a horse-regardless of gait...common sense. Having the best of examples for years with harness, I anticipate a smooth transition, to begin at Gulfstream this winter...will keep ya posted....

Java Gold@TFT
08-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Actually, most advice posted thus far makes sense. And that is what most of conditioning is to a horse-regardless of gait...common sense. Having the best of examples for years with harness, I anticipate a smooth transition, to begin at Gulfstream this winter...will keep ya posted....
One more piece of advice - hire good knowledgable people to get on your horses in the morning. Starting out you won't have your own excersize riders but get ones who can have some experience and can give you an honest opinion of the quality of the work or gallop. Some great trainers like Allen Jerkens have used little known jocks in the afternoon because he had them on his horses in the morning and got to trust their abilities. A trainer cannot see the whole track during a work and needs to trust the person aboard.

Good Luck.

Hanover1
08-16-2009, 01:15 AM
One thing training a horse is NOT: "Rokitscience" :lol: