PDA

View Full Version : Remember "Joe Collins" & "The Packhorse"?

BombsAway Bob
08-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Re: Saratoga Restaurants-
Being 'old school' in cuisine, Karen & I often ate at "The Packhorse" & "Joe Collins", both on Rt.9 just south of the tracks. The Packhorse location was a mexican food joint the last time I drove by.
Joe Collins spacious old location, about an 1/8th mile below PJ's Bar-B-Que, has gone thru different names & different owners the past decade (it was closed completely for a few years,too).
I don't remember the name of it when we visited last year, but Karen & I were blown away by our meal. I had a "Prime" Filet off the specials,& Karen had a great shrimp Scampi from the regular menu. Brick-Oven Pizzas looked thin & crispy, & prices were fair. Anyone know if it's still open this year? Thanks, Bob

offtrack
08-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Now The Big Apple Rest., stills signs out front for lobster tail dinner specials. Haven't been in since the new owners started.

eastie
08-11-2009, 09:33 AM
C'mon Bob.....it is a furlong below...Joe Collins was one of the all time greats.

BombsAway Bob
08-11-2009, 01:05 PM
C'mon Bob.....it is a furlong below...Joe Collins was one of the all time greats.
Two Words: Delmonico Potatoes :jump:

Figman
08-11-2009, 01:55 PM
I know that location well. Back in the '50's it used to be the "Chili Bowl" and was operated by the father of Joe Collins, Bernie Collins. Then it became Joe Collins Restaurant. Both have passed away.

Now, it is the hands of a Saratoga Harness trainer who is also a restauranteur. However, he does not have the pizazz of either Joe or Bernie Collins.