PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in the Toilet

michiken
08-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Well the last time that I whined on this board about getting my W2G's from Northville Downs (3 months late) the reverse kharma worked and I had them the next day. Now let's see if the reverse kharma can work for a job:

I am stuck in De-toilet!

I have been unemployed almost a year and have no prospects in site. It is horribly depressing as a college educated engineer to have no hope. I have sent out over 1500 resume's to try and get out of this hell hole and still nothing. Every phone interview that I have had has went well yet the elusive job prospect still does not materialize.

Detroit has no hope and I am about to lose mine too.......... I am looking forward to all the ripping about this city to follow in this thread!

46zilzal
08-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Went through a similar experience. Keep at it. Things change in the most unusual ways

BenDiesel26
08-10-2009, 09:35 PM
I know people aren't hiring much right now, but 1500 resumes is a LOT! I would just make sure that you are really tailoring your resumes and cover letters specifically towards the job description you are applying for and not taking the shotgun approach with form cover letters and resumes. Not saying you are but man you must be busy with all those resumes. With so many people and so few jobs, you have to make yourself standout. Good luck. Hopefully, things start correcting soon. What type of engineer?

michiken
08-10-2009, 10:10 PM
I am kengineer and I drive the train!

I am a mechanical engineer. Being laid off for almost a year gives you plenty of time to write and rewrite a resume. Many recruiters have said it is excellent. That said, many recruiters have no idea what it actually takes to do engineering!

chickenhead
08-11-2009, 01:10 AM
move!

Tom
08-11-2009, 07:33 AM
Ken, I hear a lot of places in Auto-Land are looking to get into the Areospace market. That one is booming. Our ISO auditor also does AS audits and he is training auditors full time to cover the gaps.

You might want to look into that aspect - your background could be an asset.
If you were under QS9000 or ISO9000 you would be comfortable.

offtrack
08-11-2009, 07:48 AM
I've been a downsized communications engineer for so long I am living as retired in Central NY state.
Time Warner is hiring in this area.
The unemployed folks I know are getting up to 79 weeks of assistance.
Thank heavens NY State has health insurance offered for low-income folks who have lost their employment. I'd be dead without it.

If your trapped by your circumstances you will have to change. Moving, education, self-employment are a few options.

Good Luck.

robert99
08-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Australia has great opportunities for professional engineers.

http://www.engineeringjobs.net.au/

You would need to learn the language though.

Voluntary Service Overseas has desperate need of your skills in developing countries, if you are altruistic.

michiken
08-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Moving is not an option because I am stuck with a house that I can't sell. Its been on the market (lowest price in my neighborhood) for 6 months. We had one viewing.

Moving from the automotive to aerospace field would be nice but I am already being age discriminated because I am 47. I have sent resumes to these types of companies with no success.

Professional Engineers are required to carry liability insurance which I have heard amounts to 6 to 10k per year. I am not a professional engineer, but more of a mechanical designer.

Here is a photo of some conveyor automation that I designed using 3d modeling software.

ddog
08-11-2009, 02:27 PM
You have got to cut the house loose, forget about it.

You can't be held hostage to that thing, it's a dead dog.

Give it away, donate it to some charity, anything, pay someone to live in it for a while.

Get out.

People always have this problem it seems, don't let the things you have set your options.

Tom
08-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Ken, looks better than my designer! :eek:

michiken
08-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Ken, looks better than my designer! :eek:
Thanks Tom! I didn't draw it on a etch-a-sketch either!

JustRalph
08-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Moving is not an option because I am stuck with a house that I can't sell. Its been on the market (lowest price in my neighborhood) for 6 months. We had one viewing.

hasn't stopped me and the wife........I have two houses I rent out at a loss. Something is better than nothing............Ken.......you gotta go where the jobs are.........end of story........just my two cents

Floyd
08-11-2009, 07:49 PM
North Dakota! (http://www.engineerjobs.com/jobs/mechanical-engineering/north-dakota/)
Hang in there michiken, as a former Michigander I know how bad things are there right now. JustRalph has a good point. Go where the jobs are.

michiken
08-11-2009, 08:18 PM
The problem with most engineering jobs is that they are for civil, architectural, hvac, medical and bridge construction. There are hardly any jobs for automation designers....

Tom
08-12-2009, 08:00 AM
North Dakota! (http://www.engineerjobs.com/jobs/mechanical-engineering/north-dakota/)
Go where the jobs are.

Mexico?:rolleyes:

Tom
08-13-2009, 02:27 PM
OK, Ken...here' your big chance.
Obama is showing people a jail in Michigan where he wants to put Gitmo prisoners. They might be hiring soon! :eek:

http://www.wxyz.com/mostpopular/story/MI-Prison-Eyed-for-Terrorist-Facility/FA5G2w4uW0iAzd5MFyD4mA.cspx

michiken
08-14-2009, 06:47 AM
What a great idea Tom!

I can start my own busininess selling soap on a rope near the prison!

:lol:

JustRalph
08-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Ken.........you are half way there already

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32412152/ns/us_news-washington_post/

toetoe
08-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Ken,

First, get out and see the world !!! If, after a headclearing tour of the country (on the cheap, of course) you actually want to return to Detroit, nothing will save you. :D .

Hey, even in Las Vegas things are tight. Some wounds only time will heal.

Possible alter egos for Ken:

In Mexico, Michoa-Ken;

In Alaska, Ketchi-Ken;

In Hawaii, Ken-e'ohe;

In the Dominican Republic, Punta Ken-a;

On the Blue Coast, Kennes ... (hmm);

At Fort Carillon on Lake Champlain, Ti-Ken-deroga;

In Ken-t, United Kingdom, Ken-terbury.

Tom
08-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Oh toe toe.
You forgot the obvious one....