PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever yelled at a jockey for a bad ride?

Imriledup
08-10-2009, 05:38 AM
I used to really get on them when i was younger. I've been extremely tempted recently, but held my tongue every time.

JBmadera
08-10-2009, 06:46 AM
heck yeah, there were many times I wanted to hop over the rail at bay meadows....back when hansen et al were up to their old tricks. too old to try that now but it is still probably best I sit here in my office by myself and watch the races on twinspires.

I know, I know 99.9999% of the times all the jockey's are doing there very best but it only takes a couple guys like Pfau, Lynch etc to mess with ones mind.

jb

JustRalph
08-10-2009, 07:52 AM
no, but my TV gets an ass chewing every now and again

illinoisbred
08-10-2009, 08:00 AM
I remember when I was young back in the early 60's,Bill Hartack rode at Arlington and he would get yelled at alot.One time he shot back'if you think this is so damn easy, you get out here and do it'.ON the other hand ,Walter Blum was also riding at this time and I never met a more perfect gentleman,a consummate professional.

illinoisbred
08-10-2009, 08:13 AM
I play from home,but I wish somebody out at Arlington would yell at Chris Emigh to count 1,000 one,1,000 two,etc.,or carry astop watch because this guy has no sense of how slow he's going.This i'm sure accounts for the slump he's in.

eastie
08-10-2009, 08:18 AM
It's more fun to tell them about the big cheeseburger lunch you just had, or the hot fudge sundae you had for desert. This is especially fun with jocks who are fighting weight. It's not like you have to worry about them taking a swing at you or anything. Of course maybe if they didn't go 5 wide on the clubhouse turn, or get boggled up on the rail when they had a ton of horse and a chance to get out, then there wouldn't be any reason to yell at them. A trainer once told me that jockeys would rather steal a dime than make a dollar honestly....that might be a little extreme, but they are certainly not to be trusted, only yelled at.:D

illinoisbred
08-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Unlike Wayne catalano's brother[his first name escapes me] at the old Sportsman's Park,or Geary Louviere at Balmoral,maybe instead of strapping a battery to their wrist they should stick it in their posterior orifice.Also, once at FAir Grounds, word leaked out that all riders would be checked,the story goes,7 batteries were found on the track.

illinoisbred
08-10-2009, 08:56 AM
I was mistaken,Richard Strauss carried the battery while riding for Catalano's brother on a Hazel Park ship-in at Sportsman's.

mountainman
08-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Sure, at least three times a night. But only when our mikes are dead.

bitter
08-10-2009, 10:39 AM
not sure if anyone was watching this saturday's undecard at arlington... but dale bennett won a handicapp race on the undercard and was asked why the horse ran up the track in the previous race.......he flat out sad he got a bad ride from a horrible jockey (almost word for word)... think the jockey was corbett

illinoisbred
08-10-2009, 10:41 AM
It's so easy to blame the little guy.Oops,wrong thread.

bisket
08-10-2009, 10:45 AM
eastie; the best thing to yell is thats awwright you may have cost me 20 on that race. you go enjoy that banana peel your having between races, i'm going to get some prime rib!!!

illinoisbred
08-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Also saturday at Arlington,did anyone else hear F. Calabrese say he has a lot less aggravation now with D. Miller vs.W. Catalano?

Marshall Bennett
08-10-2009, 10:47 AM
I could understand anyone betting a horse under Mike Smith , yelling when he swings wide at the top of the stretch losing ground . Happens in about 75% of the races he rides in .

david botsford
08-10-2009, 11:20 AM
I could understand anyone betting a horse under Mike Smith , yelling when he swings wide at the top of the stretch losing ground . Happens in about 75% of the races he rides in .He was so focused on Life Is Sweet that he had no idea what was happening with the rest of the field then almost takes her into the grandstands before straighting for home almost got her beat by as CJ says tomato cans.I am guilty of yelling at bonehead jocks when they run up and get in a trap when they finally get just miss at the wire drives me nuts when my money is riding on it.

46zilzal
08-10-2009, 11:21 AM
A clown was whipping an also ran mercilessly. and about 5 or 6 of us came out of the stands and yelled at him all the way back to the jockey's room.

He was gone the next week

cj
08-10-2009, 11:46 AM
A clown was whipping an also ran mercilessly. and about 5 or 6 of us came out of the stands and yelled at him all the way back to the jockey's room.

I'm sure that made you feel some great sense of accomplishment.

46zilzal
08-10-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm sure that made you feel some great sense of accomplishment.
Since I was not alone, it served it's purpose.

Marshall Bennett
08-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Suppose thats better than zilly cornering the guy and making him read some of his post . :)

Java Gold@TFT
08-10-2009, 12:22 PM
The best was still Cordero in NY. He had the favorite or 2nd fave in every race so there was no pleasing a NY crowd when you could only win 25% of the time. I saw him take more abuse than any other jockey I've ever seen. People started yelling before he got off the horse and followe dhim back to the Jock's room. Then he would win the next race at 4-5 and all would be forgiven.

46zilzal
08-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Suppose that's better than zilly cornering the guy and making him read some of his post . :)
I doubt that guy COULD read, English that is

ryesteve
08-10-2009, 12:49 PM
I doubt that guy COULD read, English that isAnd here's where everyone thinks, "What would that have to do with your posts?" :D

Dave Schwartz
08-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Have you ever yelled at a jockey for a bad ride?

Yes, but they rarely listen.
:lol:

david botsford
08-10-2009, 01:22 PM
:lol: Yes, but they rarely listen.
:lol:too funny wish I'd thought of that

Bison
08-10-2009, 01:30 PM

At least this jockey was trying. How about the clown who drops to the back of the pack and then takes his mount 5 wide into the first turn. Do you yell at him?
I know of one guy at Hastings who does this all the time. He's still riding so I'm assuming that you and your buddys did not give him the treatment.

Grits
08-10-2009, 02:04 PM
No, I've not. Bad form coming from a Southern woman.

My ugliness has more to do with beats, in general, than jocks, (typically, I shake my head once, swearing, "sonofaBITCH.") LOLOL

After tiring of listening to them scream and rail at him on a weekday afternoon, I have been in earshot of Bailey when he's told the Rastas at Belmont

. . . . "GO F*** YOURSELVES."

He said it, they heard it, and Bailey never batted an eye.:lol:

Dave Schwartz
08-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Grits,

Which reminds me of a story about sweet southern pulchritude. (Look that one up in your Funk & Wagnalls.)

Two delicate flowers of Southern womanhood, one from Louisiana,
the other from Mississippi, were conversing on the porch swing of a
large white pillared mansion.

The Louisiana Belle said, "When my first child was born, my
husband built this beautiful mansion for me.."
The lady from Mississippi commented, "How very nice."

The first woman continued, "When my second child was born, my
husband bought me that fine Cadillac you see parked in the drive."

Again, the belle from Mississippi commented, "How very nice."
The first woman boasted, "Then, when my third child was born, my
husband bought me this exquisite diamond bracelet." Yet again, the second
of the ladies commented, "How very nice."

The first woman then asked her companion, "What did your husband buy for you when you had your first child?"

"My husband sent me to charm school," declared the Mississippi belle.

"Charm school!?!?!", the first woman cried, "Land sakes, child, what on earth for?"

The Mississippian responded, "So that instead of saying 'Who gives a shit?'
I learned to say, "How very nice."

Grits
08-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Good one, good one, good one!!!!!:lol:

No doubt in my mind such conversations have taken place too.

Dave, we had a friend, a real Southern gentleman, who about 30 years ago, sent his 2nd wife to charm school. (She was his former secretary, and then some. I know you understand me here.;) Anyway, she, with fervor and lust, lured him from his first.) One night, we were in a fine restaurant. After the meal, they brought us pewter finger bowls with a lemon wedge on each. She squeezed the lemon into the bowl of warm water, lifted it with both hands, and drank every drop. Sitting directly across the table from her, I think he could've tied napkins together and hung himself right there. I didn't say a word; no one did. Not too long after . . . . off to charm school.

Today, she's a wealthy widow, a scratch golfer, and his children despise her.:lol:

46zilzal
08-10-2009, 03:57 PM
At least this jockey was trying. How about the clown who drops to the back of the pack and then takes his mount 5 wide into the first turn. Do you yell at him?
I know of one guy at Hastings who does this all the time. He's still riding so I'm assuming that you and your buddy's did not give him the treatment.
The horse was 10 lenghts behind it's nearest rival, washed out and rank.

There was NO NEED to hit this animal

Ruzzan Choksy?? That fellow still thinks he is riding on the grass

Dave Schwartz
08-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Grits,

An equally fine story, but with the ring of truth.

Reminds me of a story I read in a newspaper once.

Seems this fellow was invited to dine at the White House. He said to the Lady next to him, "Say, aren't you Miss Manners?"

"Why yes I am," she says, pleased to be recognized.

"The woman who writes the advice column in the newspaper?"

"Yes, I am that person," smiling.

"Well, you just ate my salad."

GaryG
08-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Dave, as an aside I would just like to add that anyone who is lucky enough to be married to a southern worman is truly blessed. Miss Judy has shown extreme patience in putting up with all of my shit for lo these many years.

Dave Schwartz
08-10-2009, 08:14 PM
I have known a few of those fine southern women and they are as you say.

(Perhaps a few are slightly different.)

Toss_DeLoser
08-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Just hit 27 yrs with mine.

Bruddah told me once, "I knew a man could marry UP, but not that far.:lol:

thespaah
08-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Nope. When I was ypounger and had a temper, I did not know enough to know a bad ride from a good ride. So I didn't yell at the jockeys
Now that I no longer have a bad temper and I know a bunch about this game, when I see what in muy opinion is a bad ride, I don't yell at the jockeys.

Besides, I look at these people and see courage beyond belief. These undersized human beings sitting atop a 1000 lb animal that can run 40 mph for 3/4ths of a mile. People that can in the blink of an eye be thrown to the track and trampled to death. I cannot bring myself to yell at them.
After all no one is perfect. A mistake is a mistake.
Now if it's negligence or deliberate or cheating, that I will not tolerate. But I still don't yell at the jockeys

speed
08-11-2009, 11:26 PM
It's so easy to blame the little guy.Oops,wrong thread.

Classic

rokitman
08-12-2009, 08:33 AM
no, but my TV gets an ass chewing every now and again
Disturbing.

Fingal
08-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Besides, I look at these people and see courage beyond belief. These undersized human beings sitting atop a 1000 lb animal that can run 40 mph for 3/4ths of a mile. People that can in the blink of an eye be thrown to the track and trampled to death. I cannot bring myself to yell at them.
Now if it's negligence or deliberate or cheating, that I will not tolerate. But I still don't yell at the jockeys

I might give a few words muttering to myself but then drop it & remember why there are organizations like Don MacBeth & The Permantly Disabled Jockey's Fund.

Imriledup
08-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Nope. When I was ypounger and had a temper, I did not know enough to know a bad ride from a good ride. So I didn't yell at the jockeys
Now that I no longer have a bad temper and I know a bunch about this game, when I see what in muy opinion is a bad ride, I don't yell at the jockeys.

What about when a jock doesn't make an actual tactical mistake, but stops riding hard in the final 16th and gets nailed on the wire by a more energetic rider who DIDNT stop riding?

CBedo
08-12-2009, 04:57 PM
If I yelled at a jockey every time they put in a bad ride, I wouldn't have time to talk to anyone else.....

rokitman
08-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Yes. I yelled, "I'm sure you'll do better next time, sir!"

Dan H
08-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Yes, in my best Spanish, I called Victor Espinoza an "hijo del playa!"

thespaah
08-12-2009, 08:30 PM
What about when a jock doesn't make an actual tactical mistake, but stops riding hard in the final 16th and gets nailed on the wire by a more energetic rider who DIDNT stop riding?what about it./ Yeah , I have seen that happen. But is me yelling like a crazed banshee going to change anything? Nope.
Besides, how often do we see a poor effort such as the example you gave?
Did it ever occur to you that quite possibly the rider let up on a horse because the animal was gassed?
Look, we all know a good ride from a bad ride. At least by our knowledge.
But we cannot know the whole story unless we are in the saddle wiht the jock.
I believe that every jock's career is tenuous at best because of the risk and of course save for the superstar jocks, any rider's career could be ended if a few trainers decide there has been one too many poor rides. Or maybe the trainer had a big fight with his wife. He goes to the track and the jock he used yesterday is there geting ready to ask for excercise mounts and the trainer decides to take out his rath on the first person he sees. BOOM!! And of business realtionship..
That said, with the shaky postion most ,no all, but most jocks are in ,why would any of them habitually ride poorly?.....
Just a few questions/thoughts to ponder.

Gone2Golf
08-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Not as much as I used to when I was at the track all the time...somehow it's not the same yelling at the television when you know the jock or anyone else can't hear you!

Imriledup
08-12-2009, 11:06 PM
what about it./ Yeah , I have seen that happen. But is me yelling like a crazed banshee going to change anything? Nope.
Besides, how often do we see a poor effort such as the example you gave?
Did it ever occur to you that quite possibly the rider let up on a horse because the animal was gassed?
Look, we all know a good ride from a bad ride. At least by our knowledge.
But we cannot know the whole story unless we are in the saddle wiht the jock.
I believe that every jock's career is tenuous at best because of the risk and of course save for the superstar jocks, any rider's career could be ended if a few trainers decide there has been one too many poor rides. Or maybe the trainer had a big fight with his wife. He goes to the track and the jock he used yesterday is there geting ready to ask for excercise mounts and the trainer decides to take out his rath on the first person he sees. BOOM!! And of business realtionship..
That said, with the shaky postion most ,no all, but most jocks are in ,why would any of them habitually ride poorly?.....
Just a few questions/thoughts to ponder.

I'm not asking these guys to put a man on the moon, or to write a piano solo, i'm asking them to ride hard thru the wire. That's what they are paid to do, ride all the way to the line. Horses get tired, that's the nature of the racing, horses slow down as the race gets longer.