PDA

View Full Version : Commentator hangs 'em up

FantasticDan
08-09-2009, 04:20 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/52037/commentator-retired-zito-announces

MickJ26
08-09-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm sure Nick Zito had thoughts of Wanderin' Boy running through his head when they decided to retire this gallant champion. I hope he makes the Hall of Fame someday. Probably the best New York-bred of all time (or at least no worse than second to Funny Cide).

Java Gold@TFT
08-09-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm sure Nick Zito had thoughts of Wanderin' Boy running through his head when they decided to retire this gallant champion. I hope he makes the Hall of Fame someday. Probably the best New York-bred of all time (or at least no worse than second to Funny Cide).
People outside of NY and Saratoga will never remember the first NYBred to win the Whitney - The incomparable Fio Rito. He ws the first NYBred to really shed the spotlight on the breeding industry in NY. He was also the King of the Finger Lakes.

I'll still miss Commentator. I hope he finds a good home or like Funny Cide can gear it down and become a stable pony.

Ian Meyers
08-09-2009, 06:55 PM
People outside of NY and Saratoga will never remember the first NYBred to win the Whitney - The incomparable Fio Rito. He ws the first NYBred to really shed the spotlight on the breeding industry in NY. He was also the King of the Finger Lakes.

I remember that day well. Solid rail/speed bias, I bet a little on 'Rito and thought I was dead when he busted through the gate before that start. He went right out and wire-to-wire I recall at I think 11-1 or so.

My buddy picked out Commentator's damn Outsource out of a yearling sale and selected Distorted Humor for her first (I think) mating. I have always had a soft spot for that horse and hope he enjoys a long, healthy retirement.

Bubbles
08-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Any discussion about the best and most beloved NY-bred of all-time is incomplete without the mention of Fourstardave. If you live outside New York, you have no idea how huge he was in the Empire State. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourstardave

Commentator will be missed. He was a rarity in many ways: A NY-bred beating the likes of Saint Liam and competing at the highest level at an age where many of his contemporaries had long since been retired.

FantasticDan
08-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Here's a nice link to NY Bred top earners:

http://www.nybreds.com/incentives/million_inc.html

I just wish poor Tin Cup Chalice could've had a few yrs to work his way up that list.. he was already at about $870K earnings as a 3yo..

Java Gold@TFT
08-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Here's a nice link to NY Bred top earners:

http://www.nybreds.com/incentives/million_inc.html

I just wish poor Tin Cup Chalice could've had a few yrs to work his way up that list.. he was already at about $870K earnings as a 3yo..
We were just talking about Irish Linnet this week at Saratoga. I think she won the Yaddo at the Spa about 4 years in a row for Leo O'Brien. A

Always loved Dave too

sandpit
08-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Thanks to everyone for bringing up some really nice horses. :4: stardave was as cool as they come, but his full brother was something else too. Fourstars Allstar was the first American-trained horse to win a European classic in the Airlie Coolmore Irish Two Thousand Guineas (Ire-I) came just seven days after winning a race at Belmont.

You're right about Tin Cup Chalice, truly a tragic and all too soon ending for a very, very nice animal.

david botsford
08-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Seems old Commentator has lost a step or two but on his good days in the past he was hell on wheels.

joanied
08-10-2009, 05:06 PM
My heart broke 70 yeards from the wire...but in his defeat, Commentator lost nothing...what a wonderful ride he's given everyone...he joins a stellar list of NY breds...but, IMO, he'll be on any list of the best race horses in America...a talented horse full to the brim with heart, courage, class...

to Nick Zito...good for you...you did the right thing, good call...Commentator deserves a looooong, healthy and very happy retirement...no doubt, that's what he'll get...I'd bet Old Friends would love to have him join their club.

Two quote from the Blood Horse story:
"NYRA is planning to bring Commentator back on track for one final time before the close of the Saratoga meet to give fans an opportunity to show their appreciation for the amazing gelding. The details have not yet been finalized."

I'd love to be there...and I hope thousand's turn out for Commentator's final farewell.

“When he was on, he was good as any horse in America. I think the Mass ‘Cap, last year, proved that,” Zito said. “You know his record — it’s fantastic. He earned over $2 million the hard way. He’s as gallant as he could be. He’s a real treasure.”

Very well said, Zito.... thank you for doing all the right things for this very special horse.

Commentator:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: Thanks for the memories:)

bcgreg
08-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Commentator...one tough gelding...enjoy your pasture time!

He has earned his keep for quite a long time.

bcgreg