PDA

View Full Version : Cash for Clunkers--Part II

Tape Reader
08-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Cash for Clunkers--Part II

Bring in your Old Folks for counseling and get a 10% rebate on any medical procedure that we can talk them out of.

boxcar
08-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Cash for Clunkers--Part II

Bring in your Old Folks for counseling and get a 10% rebate on any medical procedure that we can talk them out of.

And that would go up to 25% if you can get those "old folks" to agree to "step aside" (i.e. be euthanized).

Boxcar
P.S. Someone has to invent a new dance step, called the Step Aside. Then the state could mandate that it be taught to everyone living in nursing homes or any assisted living facility -- even if they can't stand up or walk. :rolleyes:

ArlJim78
08-09-2009, 02:01 PM
they'll call this one Cash For Codgers

boxcar
08-09-2009, 02:15 PM
they'll call this one Cash For Codgers

:lol: :lol: :lol: The only downside to the program will be the 178-page form that will need to be filled out and sent to BO's Graveyard Czar proving the codgers did themselves in.

Boxcar

bigmack
08-19-2009, 02:51 PM
When car dealers start doing business with the federal government, whaddya expect? Perfect harmony?

Of course not. Several weeks into the "cash for clunkers" program it turns out that delivering a couple of billion dollars worth of rebates to hundreds of thousands of car buyers can generate a few flat tires. The Department of Transportation's latest update on the Car Allowance Rebate System shows that the government has received applications for about 412,000 rebates totaling $1.7 billion. But so far, the feds have approved only a fraction of those, leaving dealers furious.

The Transportation Department won't say exactly what the rejection rate is, but in an Automotive News survey, some dealers said up to 80 percent of their rebate applications had been rejected. Some dealers are waiting for payments totaling as much as $200,000, the survey found. About 13 percent of dealers said they've suspended clunker deals because of red tape and concern about getting paid by the government.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnews/20090819/ts_usnews/howtoavoidthecashforclunkerssnarl

Tom
08-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Would YOU buy a used car from this man? :eek:

JustRalph
08-19-2009, 03:37 PM
45% of dealers are bailing out of Clash for Clunkers this week alone

They aren't being paid..................

Now, let's promote the Clash for clunkers crowd to ObamaCare............

NJ Stinks
08-19-2009, 05:07 PM
GM is hiring back 1,350 workers. Spin that.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/economy-watch/2009/08/gm_announces_first_production.html

Tom
08-19-2009, 05:17 PM
GM has been run moronically for decades, and this is just another moronic move. They do not need the inventory, but remember, the UAW owns a big slice of GM and they are doing this to benefit themselves.

But that has nothing to do with Ralph's post - that the government failed miserable to run a billion dollar straight up program - failed!

There is no way this group of dimwits could ever manage a HC system. As we have had illustrated for us, they cannot do anyting right, and now they are screwing the dealers by refusing to pay.

Obama's word is worthless. The man is a POS liar.

Spin this? I am really surprised anyone was fooled by it. It is sooooo transparent.

ddog
08-19-2009, 05:23 PM
About 13 percent of dealers said they've suspended clunker deals because of red tape and concern about getting paid by the government.

Well, that's a GOOD START then, now if the OTHER 87% would follow suit ......

I HAVE A DREAM.
:ThmbUp:

NJ Stinks
08-19-2009, 05:26 PM
GM has been run moronically for decades, and this is just another moronic move. They do not need the inventory, but remember, the UAW owns a big slice of GM and they are doing this to benefit themselves.

But that has nothing to do with Ralph's post - that the government failed miserable to run a billion dollar straight up program - failed!

There is no way this group of dimwits could ever manage a HC system. As we have had illustrated for us, they cannot do anyting right, and now they are screwing the dealers by refusing to pay.

Obama's word is worthless. The man is a POS liar.

Spin this? I am really surprised anyone was fooled by it. It is sooooo transparent.

Tom Spin. How are you? Did you read the article I posted? it said in part:
__________________________________________________ ______________

The news from GM follows Ford’s announcement last week that it too is boosting North American production to meet the increased demand spurred by the $3 billion Cash for Clunkers program.

Ford said its third quarter output would rise by 10,000 vehicles to 495,000, primarily due to increased demand for Escape small utility vehicles and Focus small cars, the two most popular Ford vehicles under the federal incentive program.

__________________________________________________ _____

Does the UAW own a big piece of Ford too? Did Ford get bailout money?

Spin on.

lsbets
08-19-2009, 05:30 PM
What happens to the demand when the clunker program ends?

ddog
08-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Just as the FED's never ending "programs" - the gvt and programs never end - they may morph to something else, never end.

To pay people to buy vehicles so that you can then have an excuse to make some vehicles that nobody wanted to buy in the first place?

What a hoot.

For 3billion bucks we get 1350 gm "workers" hired and a few Ford guys keep a job?

Jeez- couldn't we just send ALL the gm and ford workers a check , i think it may have been cheaper.

:D

bigmack
08-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Does the UAW own a big piece of Ford too? Did Ford get bailout money?

Spin on.
$3 bill for 1200 add-on jobs and 10,000 cars over the previous third quarter?

Good thing lefties as yourself more than often work for someone else. If you ran a company like the Feds would you'd fail miserably. Oh wait, they are and they are. :rolleyes:

mostpost
08-19-2009, 06:36 PM
The Transportation Department won't say exactly what the rejection rate is, but in an Automotive News survey, some dealers said up to 80 percent of their rebate applications had been rejected

So, what does this mean? It means that SOME dealers are incompetent. The story which you linked to says that applications are being sent back due to clerical errors; unsigned sales agreements, serial numbers that don't match, missing make, model, and year info, and various other things. It is important for the government to have this information to guard against fraud.

The fact that the program is running behind in processing the claims by auto dealers is a proof of the SUCCESS of the program. Again from the story you linked we get the information that NTHSA (National Transportation Highway Safety Administration) assigned 225 workers to process claims. They are in the process of increasing that number to 1000.

Explain to me how having to wait for the rebate checks is hurting auto dealers. The payment is supposed to be in the form of a credit on the price of the new car, not a cash payment to the buyer of the new car. Therefore,
the dealer is not out any money. Of course the dealer must abide by the terms of the law. But they aren't really that complicated. Anyone can go to cars.gov and find those rules. Just as most NBA teams have "Cap wizards" so should dealers have clunker wizards to approve any deals.

GaryG
08-19-2009, 06:46 PM
I understand the Cash For Clunkers II program will be administered by Jack Kevorkian and Ernie Paragallo.

wisconsin
08-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Explain to me how having to wait for the rebate checks is hurting auto dealers. The payment is supposed to be in the form of a credit on the price of the new car, not a cash payment to the buyer of the new car. Therefore,
the dealer is not out any money.

Mostpost, you don't have a clue what you are even talking about. We sell the car at a "discount" of whatever the C4C credit is. We front the money. Once we report the vehicle sold, the floor plan is no longer in play. We pay the bank off on that car before we are reimbursed by the government. In our case, we are still on the hook for about $200k, money that the dealer fronts out of his own pocket. Pay attention to how it works if you want to speak on a subject that you know nothing about.

NJ Stinks
08-19-2009, 07:02 PM
$3 bill for 1200 add-on jobs and 10,000 cars over the previous third quarter?

Good thing lefties as yourself more than often work for someone else. If you ran a company like the Feds would you'd fail miserably. Oh wait, they are and they are. :rolleyes:

BigMack, $3B buys us about 10 days in Iraq. I prefer spending money on stimulating our economy. Call me patriotic.

Good thing you righties have your priority's in order. :rolleyes:

Warren Henry
08-19-2009, 07:05 PM
The fact that the program is running behind in processing the claims by auto dealers is a proof of the SUCCESS of the program. Again from the story you linked we get the information that NTHSA (National Transportation Highway Safety Administration) assigned 225 workers to process claims. They are in the process of increasing that number to 1000.

Anyone else bothered by the fact that the NTHSA is using 1000 workers to process the claims. Are these NEW jobs that will go on forever? Or did they have 1000 surplus folks sitting around doing nothing? And how many applications will each of these 1000 workers be assigned to handle. Do you think they can handle the load? Probably belong to the same union as the postal folks.

NJ Stinks
08-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Mostpost, you don't have a clue what you are even talking about. We sell the car at a "discount" of whatever the C4C credit is. We front the money. Once we report the vehicle sold, the floor plan is no longer in play. We pay the bank off on that car before we are reimbursed by the government. In our case, we are still on the hook for about $200k, money that the dealer fronts out of his own pocket. Pay attention to how it works if you want to speak on a subject that you know nothing about.

Wisconsin, I understand your frustration. Although I can also understand why the government would be careful to only process proper claims. (Claims paid out and then revealed to be bogus would be a FOX/rightie delight.)

Please tell us when you are reimbursed and how long it took.

NJ Stinks
08-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Anyone else bothered by the fact that the NTHSA is using 1000 workers to process the claims. Are these NEW jobs that will go on forever? Or did they have 1000 surplus folks sitting around doing nothing? And how many applications will each of these 1000 workers be assigned to handle. Do you think they can handle the load? Probably belong to the same union as the postal folks.

Same old same old. Spend $10B a month on Iraq and it's "Who cares?" Hire a government employee and you scream bloody murder.

So do you want Wisconsin to get his money or what?

mostpost
08-19-2009, 07:35 PM
OK, I'm willing to learn. Am I correct that the dealership buys cars from the manufacturer using money borrowed from a bank? That money is due to the bank when the car is reported sold. So, if the bank loans you $20,000 to buy a Ford Focus (I don't know what kind of dealership you work at.), then you sell that car at a discounted price of $15,500 you are short $4,500 of the money you owe the bank. I can understand where that would cause concern.

However, if this was a bad program, why would a dealer participate. It's not mandatory. It seems there are three reasons repayments are slow. One, the program was a surprising success and the government was not prepared for the demand-a problem which they are working to correct. Two, dealers are being careless in filling out the required paperwork-paperwork which is essential to combat fraud. (Those would be the cases in which paperwork is being returned) Three, dealers are selling cars which do not fit the parameters of the program-parameters which do not seem particularly complex.

I admit to a lack of knowledge on the inner workings of the car dealership world. That does not make my musings in paragraph two invalid.

JustRalph
08-19-2009, 07:42 PM
GM is hiring back 1,350 workers. Spin that.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/economy-watch/2009/08/gm_announces_first_production.html

Any business on the planet could hire back workers if they dumped all their debt on the tax payer........piece of cake............ Glad you are so happy about it. Several smaller companies are eating it hard..............while GM gets a free pass including the Tax payer taking on the Delphi Pension obligation..........

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/23/business/23pension.html

50 Billion Nobody is talking about!!!

mostpost
08-19-2009, 08:06 PM
If you read the article, which of course you didn't, you would have seen that they are borrowing workers from other agencies. That does not mean that any of those agencies had surplus people. I've worked in private industry and the public sector and I know that there are times in both when there are slow periods.

bigmack
08-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Same old same old. Spend $10B a month on Iraq and it's "Who cares?" Hire a government employee and you scream bloody murder.

Is that my cue to call up some ungodly spending program in the Clinton or Carter administrations? How 'bout just sticking to the matter at hand.

Tom
08-19-2009, 08:33 PM
What happens to the demand when the clunker program ends?

You end up where we are now with a few hundred thousand people back in debt. Demand dried up and no money for other markets.

Gee.

lsbets
08-20-2009, 06:51 AM
Dealers participate in the program and are on the hook waiting for the government to pay them. American auto dealers gave the government a tax free $3bil loan and they have no idea when they will get paid. And of course mostpost excuses and justifies it. :rolleyes:

wisconsin
08-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Wisconsin, I understand your frustration. Although I can also understand why the government would be careful to only process proper claims. (Claims paid out and then revealed to be bogus would be a FOX/rightie delight.)

Please tell us when you are reimbursed and how long it took.

We have yet to be reimbursed. Only 2% of all deals have been reimbursed nationwide. We began delivering these cars on July 24. Our paperwork has been to the letter, and we have submitted everything properly. No error messages or anything like that. We just want our money.

Marshall Bennett
08-20-2009, 10:47 AM
We have yet to be reimbursed. Only 2% of all deals have been reimbursed nationwide. We began delivering these cars on July 24. Our paperwork has been to the letter, and we have submitted everything properly. No error messages or anything like that. We just want our money.
There was an article in the Houston Chronicle this morning echoing the same thing . Dealers are waiting , most have received nothing . Another example of this government not getting it right ... again . Amazing that they actually believe they can deal with health care .

ArlJim78
08-20-2009, 11:04 AM
The National Automobile Dealers Association is requesting (http://www.cardealerreviews.org/?p=116533)that they pull the plug on this Clunkerf*ck. It is another in a long line of misguided government boondoggles.

In a survey of nearly 800 dealers,

97% of dealers who responded, say the government is not reimbursing fast enough
13% of dealers have dropped out the program because the government is not reimbursing fast enough and overall concern payment problems
87% percent of dealers are concerned the money will be exhausted
3% of CARS program deals have been reimbursed
66% of dealers have not received one payment from the government
25% of dealers are experiencing serve re cash flow problems that require short-term loans to alleviate
11% of submitted applications have been approved (though dealers still are waiting for the money)
16% of submitted applications have been rejected
55% of dealers are not confident they will get reimbursed for every deal
40% do not want the program to continue, even if changes are made to the CARS program

bigmack
08-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Dealers participate in the program and are on the hook waiting for the government to pay them. American auto dealers gave the government a tax free $3bil loan and they have no idea when they will get paid. And of course mostpost excuses and justifies it. :rolleyes:
Extra, Extra, Read All About It: GM bails out Feds! Oh wait, with a 60% ownership, GM is 'The Fed'. Ineptitude runs deep.

DETROIT — General Motors said Thursday that it would begin advancing dealers the cash that they are owed from the government’s “cash for clunkers” program, after the dealers complained of delays in getting reimbursed for rebates they gave to car buyers.

Some dealers have pulled out of the program, formally known as the Car Allowance Rebate System, saying it was costing them too much time and causing cash-flow problems. A dealers group in metropolitan New York said about half of its 425 members had stopped participating as of this week.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/21/business/21clunkers.html

wisconsin
08-20-2009, 12:20 PM
I was never for this program, because someone has to pay for it. Being in the business, I thought it was a good program as far as the selling that was going to happen. While not for it, I was excited to take advatage of it. The people who have taken advantage of this program are middle-to-wealthy, and most of our deals were cash deals. This did not bring out the credit rat types like it was intended. We sold out of every popular qualifying model, can't get them in quick enough, an are short on cash flow. We got our fist rejection this morning. "Missing proof of insurance". Funny, the stupid morons running this gig apparently are not aware that Wisconsin residents are not required to prove insurance, as stipulated in the official rules of the program. Idiots.

ddog
08-20-2009, 12:28 PM
I understand the Cash For Clunkers II program will be administered by Jack Kevorkian and Ernie Paragallo.

nah, they are bringin' in the big guns, just as everything else in the country is being ran these days, it's TurbocheatTimmy and BoneheadBennyB.

They are not messin' around with rules and paperwork anymore.

Just like Bush and Cappo Paulson, they are bringin out the bazookas for stim2.

wait and see.

the two you mentioned are so 90's.

face it, the country only has an economic "system" ( I KID of course) due to the vast pump of the Fed and Tres.

The system has and is crashed boys.

get used to it.

You are the bagholders, the funders of last resort.

No matter if we waste it to provide a vote or a school for some nutjob in IrAq or Afg or Pak or fund cash for idiots , it's over boys.

The criminal slime has taken the reins.

I'LL Take the market on that!

:( :lol: