PDA

View Full Version : Young Ohio

horseraceguy101
08-09-2009, 02:28 AM
Well I live in ohio, like harness more than thoroughbred racing as many either know or don't. But i was wondering who else is from ohio or close to? Or into harness racing. Basically what's your story? My story is that my family would take me to Northfield since i was basically first born. Now I'm obsessed with handicapping. I love to analyze a race. Sometimes I seem extremely smart when I hit something, other times not so much. I also have family in Pa, who own some standardbreds. If you read my other post you'll know I am only 16. But I would love to meet more people around my age, who are into horse racing as much as I am, but most people think it's boring. Anyone is welcome to post though so feel free to tell me your story. Also ohio should be getting slots which will greatly help the purses, and possibly the competition at the tracks. So if you have any thoughts on that feel free to post about that to.

lamboguy
08-09-2009, 04:53 AM
Well I live in ohio, like harness more than thoroughbred racing as many either know or don't. But i was wondering who else is from ohio or close to? Or into harness racing. Basically what's your story? My story is that my family would take me to Northfield since i was basically first born. Now I'm obsessed with handicapping. I love to analyze a race. Sometimes I seem extremely smart when I hit something, other times not so much. I also have family in Pa, who own some standardbreds. If you read my other post you'll know I am only 16. But I would love to meet more people around my age, who are into horse racing as much as I am, but most people think it's boring. Anyone is welcome to post though so feel free to tell me your story. Also ohio should be getting slots which will greatly help the purses, and possibly the competition at the tracks. So if you have any thoughts on that feel free to post about that to.one thing for sure it is great to have you here asking questions about the racing game. i grew up in new england when there were about 10 different thoroghbred tracks along with plenty of harness racing and fair meets. back then it was similar to the way you grew up where whole family's were involved in racing like yours. today that is not the case and probably the main reason why horseracing is steeply declining. it just might be a cycle that is going on right now, and maybe racing will come back some day. but what racing does need is people like yourself that asks questions and wants to learn more. so i want to welcome you to the sport and hope at some point you take a very active role in the sport.

horseraceguy101
08-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Well I can't say much for a family thing anymore. Since my parents are divorced and my mother re-married. However I like my step dad a lot more than my dad. But it's my dad, who still is able to go to the races more, and actually understands handicapping better than my step dad. But it's alright. Well I have the same question any other horseplayer has, how can I always win and never lose? lol. I really don't have many questions, I already know a lot of things. But I still have some, like I want to know how i can get involved with racing without going to school for it altogether or for short period of time. I'm probably going into some type of business though. But with horses I would love to train or own. However that requires a lot of bio which isn't my best subject. But I'll see what happens.

lamboguy
08-09-2009, 12:21 PM
like anything else, horseracing consists of hope and dreams. when you bet horses you are at a severe disadavantage right from the start. the house edge is huge, even more than when i was younger. years ago i was able to overcome the house edge. today i find it impossible. if you view betting on races as a recreational thing and not a degenerate type of gamble the game will suit you just fine. unlike slot machines it takes some type of intelect to select winning horses thru handicapping. if you want to pick numbers you will be better off with the state lotteries.
i am telling you this knowing full well that you are not supposed to betting at your age!

good luck and i hope you learn this sport and maybe own a champion some day.

macguy
08-09-2009, 02:53 PM
The best way to get involved with horse racing is to show up at the racetrack or a farm and ask if they are looking for help.

Chances are pretty good if you show up to the track, the security guard won't let you on the backstretch, explain to him that you're looking for work and ask if he knows any trainers that are looking for help.

It's kind of a chicken and an egg thing, you've got to have a licence to get onto the property, but you have to have a job in order to get a licence.

I assume you are still in school, if there's any tracks or training centres near where you live (and your parents approve), perhaps spending the summer working (or even volunteering) at a nearby facility would be a good idea. You will likely have to start at the bottom cleaning out stalls and scrubbing feed buckets, but that's were pretty near everyone starts.

You'll get an idea pretty quickly if being a horseman is something that you want to pursue... early mornings and lots of physical work.

horseraceguy101
08-17-2009, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE= you are not supposed to betting at your age!

[/QUOTE]

I shouldn't be doing a lot of things my age, I still do them anyway though lol.