PDA

View Full Version : Pace Program

plainolebill
05-16-2003, 02:57 AM
Anyone know of a decent pace program that uses Bris or TSN files?

Richard
05-16-2003, 09:15 AM
Bill,
You might want to take a look at the computer version of Ray Taulbot's Pace Calculator that uses BRIS files.Now I myself have never used this program.I have however,had some success using the original slide rule device.The software is available at:

http://www.americanturf.com/atm/atmindex.htm

wes
05-16-2003, 11:35 AM
Bill
http://www.horseracingusa.com/ Winning At The Track Is a good speed and pace program. Can use from one to eight lines.

wes

JimG
05-16-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by plainolebill
Anyone know of a decent pace program that uses Bris or TSN files?

I would recommend a visit to www.htrf.com

A gentleman by the name of Jim Ott produces this program. It is dos but is a nice pace program.

Jim

Lefty
05-16-2003, 12:22 PM
TSN also gives away Procaps free.

Tom
05-16-2003, 07:16 PM
EquisimROI and the Zmabuto program (I believe).
BRIS and TSN have free programs on their sites.

GR1@HTR
05-16-2003, 07:40 PM
Dang Tom, that is one ugly mo fo...

plainolebill
05-16-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Tom
EquisimROI and the Zmabuto program (I believe).
BRIS and TSN have free programs on their sites.

I've got both Equisim and Zambuto. Equisim is a nice program but it isn't a pace program as such, meaning it doesn't display velocity figures. Do any of the Bris or TSN programs (other than the $14.00 a file babies) have Brohamer style figures? I'd like to see an excel style display with a sort by columns function. I'm old and lazy by nature. Thanks to everyone who has replied.

jk3521
05-16-2003, 10:51 PM
I have been looking at the "Desert Sea" website and see that they have a program based on Charles Carrol figures. Does anyone own this software and could you give us a little critique on the program. it is called Speed handicapper ver 4.

Tom
05-16-2003, 11:10 PM
Try a search of that on this board-I remember some talk about it earlier in the year, or last year?

Lefty
05-17-2003, 12:19 AM
Focus 2000 has a pace section with fps nos. and also will keep a db if ypu put in the tsn xrd results.

jk3521
05-17-2003, 02:06 PM
Tom,

No luck in the search for "Speed Handicapper" info from Desert Sea publications. Anyone out there with any experience with the software or Charles Carrols' methods?

GR1@HTR
05-17-2003, 02:11 PM
I purchased the speed handicapper for Quarter Horses...Never used it on TBreds though...

karlskorner
05-17-2003, 07:46 PM
Have a "Saturday" friend who uses the program. Has it on his lap top. He played 7 races today at CRC, won 3 including the $58.00 winner in the 4th. Does very well on the grass (4th was on the grass). It's as good as any, easy to use. Had Funny Cide like every one else. Try

www.DesertSea.com

I just brought it up, it's on the left side. Make sure you get his book along with it "Speed handicapping". one of the best written. In the back of the book is his original program which I included into my program when a friend converted it from Commodore 64.
Haven't changed a thing in 15 years

cj
05-17-2003, 07:51 PM
Karl,

I didn't think you had a computer :D :D :D

CJ

jk3521
05-17-2003, 08:03 PM
Thanx for your input. Might give it a try. Hey, what's another 139 dollars when I've spent thousands on systems over the past 20 years?

karlskorner
05-17-2003, 08:10 PM
I loved that "64". Wrote my program on it ( that was the last time I will ever try that again ) worked for me then, works for me now.The computer world was passing me by, went to a 486 and now Windows 98.2, that's as far as I am going. The red felt pen still does the majority of the work.

Tom
05-17-2003, 08:37 PM
I used to write my own programs in Basic...really miss dos. the program did what I wanted it to do and nothing else.
W98.2 is my last stop on the computer trail, too. When this one goes, so do I. Not worth the trouble, mostly.
I've already dumped DRF and Sim Weekly, and come the end of the month, most everything else goes to. No more computer handicapping for me. No more databases. I'll buy a form if I want to play a Saturday,or a BRIS card. I am giving up completly on speed ratings and pace ratings and going to do simple "eye-ball scan" from now on. I just have lost all faith in anyones attempts to adjust reality. Trips, trainer moves, key races, turf breeding and turf raw final fractions. Beyond that, I don't want to know about it.

karlskorner
05-17-2003, 08:37 PM
If you do buy it, make sure you read the book first, even though it's 15 or more years old, explains how he arrived at his #'s.

He has added a couple of side bars in the program such as aggresive odds, conservative odds, dutching, overlay, underlay on the road to Mandaly and a couple of other things to keep up with the current "trend". Keeps my friend busy between races punching up all those percentages.

JimG
05-17-2003, 09:11 PM
Karl,

Does your friend pick speed lines or does he just accept the default (last race). Also, any thoughts on which data file (TSN, ITS, DRF) the program works best with?

Jim

JimG
05-17-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Tom

W98.2 is my last stop on the computer trail, too. When this one goes, so do I. Not worth the trouble, mostly.

After 3030 posts by you, I don't think so!:D

Jim

Tom
05-17-2003, 09:43 PM
You would think I have nothing left to say! (NOT)
Maybe some OS other than Micro-crap will come along before my puter dies. But I will never ever buy another MS prodcut.
:rolleyes:

karlskorner
05-17-2003, 10:46 PM
When he first got the program , a year or so back, he was moving up and down the PP's, looking for that "magic line", when he saw how well I doing with the last line, he decided to stay with it, he has improved tremendously. The only time he moves down is when the last line or 2 are on the grass. He and I both use the BRIS $1.00 PP's. I finally got him to print it out because there is more information on that damn paper than he will ever find in his computer.

I will tell you one thing though, if he don't stop making me look at the overlays, underlays on the road to Mandaly, he is going to find himself banned from the box.

JimG
05-18-2003, 07:45 AM
Karl,

Thanks for the reply. I own the program but have not used it much at all. I presume when you say that you don't use the last line if it is a turf race you are talking about today's race being a dirt race.

Have you found it does not do as well for a race on the turf? I know what you mean about the overlays/underlays. I don't think a program can by itself whether a horse is a value bet or not. That is up to the player who is factoring what is going on today at the track.

Jim

panda1
05-18-2003, 09:54 AM
does the speed handicapper software pick the past performance lines for you ?................ I assuming that you can also pick your own pacelines as well. :p

JimG
05-18-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by panda1
does the speed handicapper software pick the past performance lines for you ?................ I assuming that you can also pick your own pacelines as well. :p

You can pick your own lines or it will automatically pick the last line.

Jim

panda1
05-18-2003, 11:33 AM
Jim,

Thanks for the info..........Was wondering why you haven't used it much ?..............I'm seriously looking for a program that does a goo d job picking winners or contenders in there top 3 to 4.......I don't get a chance to get out to the track alot. I use to belong to HTR and they are the best far as i'm concerned. But i don't play enough to justify spending $ 120.00 a month..........So i'm looking for a good program that i can throw a $ 1.00 bris file in and have a good chance of making a few bucks at the track.........I would be very interested in hearing what you have to say about the software.............If there's any other you think i should take a look at i would appreciate any info as well.:D

JimG
05-18-2003, 11:51 AM
panda1,

I think there are several programs out there that will get you the contenders using the $1 Bris file. However, if you are expecting, like I was when I got into computer handicapping about 7 years ago, the program to pick amongst the contenders you will be as disappointed as I was. I have found out something I should have known all along...there is no substitute for pen and pencil handicapping when selecting among contenders. Some computer programs can help sort information and point to contenders that you may miss from a visual scan of the daily racing form.

I have not used speed handicapper much due to lack of time. No knock on the program. As far as what programs I like that use bris files....I use Equisim and WorkHorse Pro....however I must warn that after many years of using computer programs and much expense in that direction...I am increasingly going back to pen and past performance handicapping...and doing well I might add.

If any more questions, just ask.

Jim

lousycapper
05-19-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Tom
You would think I have nothing left to say! (NOT)
Maybe some OS other than Micro-crap will come along before my puter dies. But I will never ever buy another MS prodcut.
:rolleyes:

============================

See if IBM OS-2 will work for you. It's a true multi-tasking operating system. Limited software available, however. If that doesn't work then use MSW-2000 or MSW-XP Professional. MS internet is a true disaster. They [MS] will never get that corrected unless a whole new OS is forthcoming.

-L.C.

lousycapper
05-19-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by JimG
panda1,

I am increasingly going back to pen and past performance handicapping...and doing well I might add.

If any more questions, just ask.

Jim

============================

Anything you can do with a pen and paper can be done by with a computer. I will qualify that statement by saying, "It all depends on who is writing the software." Computers don't make mistakes, only software engineers and programers do!

-L.C.

hurrikane
05-20-2003, 09:58 AM
wow. Just goes to show you what a mystical place this world is.

Joe M is giving up because he can't make his computer win.

Karl is promoting software.

Tom posts an avatar showing his appearance today..not 30 yrs ago. :D

Fact is stranger than fiction!!!! lol

GR1@HTR
05-20-2003, 11:06 AM
JimG,

I bet using all those programs will enhance your pen and paper capping...With each program bringing an angle or idea to your game.