PDA

View Full Version : 1968 Californian(Dr. Fager)

rwwupl
08-07-2009, 12:23 PM
If anyone has the chart for this race ,I would appreciate it being posted.

Thanks, rwwupl

46zilzal
08-07-2009, 12:32 PM

Thanks, rwwupl
Rats only have his two year old campaign here.

joanied
08-07-2009, 02:55 PM
On a sunny, warm May afternoon, Dr. Fager broke alertly, but there was no way he could outbreak the sprinters inside of him. As expected, Kissin' George, Rising Market and Dr. Roy E all gunned for the lead. As the field went around the clubhouse turn, Dr. Fager was a tad wide in fourth. The first quarter went in 22 2/5. As the field straightened down the backstretch, Braulio Baeza slowly guided Dr. Fager into second place along the rail behind Kissin' George. The half went in 45 flat.

Turning for home, Dr. Fager took the lead, passing the six furlongs in 1:08 3/5. From there, he simply coasted to the wire. I can still hear track announcer Harry Henson's call as Dr. Fager took the lead from Kissin' George. The champion mare Gamely came along for second, but as the Daily Racing Form chartcaller noted, Dr. Fager "drew away and won with authority." The margin at the end was three lengths. The time was 1:40 4/5, almost two seconds off the track and world record -- *but* that was set by Swaps in 1956 (1:39 flat).

http://z.about.com/d/horseracing/1/0/a/-/drfager.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9bucY6hLbA

Wellcrap...I just spent the better part of an hour looking for the chart on this race for you...man, if it's out there someplace, I sure can't find it...so I did the best for ya.
You prob'ly have watched the video, but maybe you can kinda make your own chart off the race video?

What a field he faced in the Californian...even the Sire of a mare I had (she's passed on) was in there...Our Micheal....and talking about great fillies/mares...Gamely...she was breathtaking.

Anyway...I hope someone can come up with that chart for ya!
:)

46zilzal
08-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Try this archive

http://kdl.kyvl.org/cgi/t/text/text-idx?page=simple;g=drf

GaryG
08-07-2009, 02:59 PM
I was there, but it is not as easy to download from my memory as it once was. That was his only trip west.

rwwupl
08-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks to all for a good effort.

It was a life changing experience for a friend of mine that I call "Fast Eddie".

I want to frame the chart as a gift to him.

I will keep looking. Thanks.

DJofSD
08-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Look at http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Dr-Fager/Steve-Haskin/e/9781581501759 then click on the Features tab. The book has PPs on page 144. Perhaps this would get you something decent to reproduce for your present (which is a wonderful idea).

joanied
08-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks to all for a good effort.

It was a life changing experience for a friend of mine that I call "Fast Eddie".

I want to frame the chart as a gift to him.

I will keep looking. Thanks.

Oh, what a wonderful, thoughtful thing to do for your friend... I'll keep looking too.
DJofSD gave you a link...it won't give you the chart, but maybe buying 'Fast Eddie' the book would be almost as good?
Damn...that chart has to be somewhere...hang in there, rwwup...we'll find it.

CincyHorseplayer
08-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the race link Joanied.I hear these names and have read about these horses but don't always sit down and think about looking up all their races on Youtube.He won easily and was a fluid piece of poetry in motion.

Thinking about horses like that and horses nowadays.I think there is a certain sense of mysticism that can form by not only the passing of years but the fact that there were no speed figures for those horses,at least not in the public consciousness.

Everybody is so picky and tacky about stuff,when you have a horse like Rachel A,it seems no matter how fast she runs,who she beats,or where she runs,it cannot overcome the hazy view of forgetfullness of competition,nonexistence of speed figures,and the illusion that the "good old days" of there and then are better than the here and now.Selective memory IMO robs many jaded,cynical horseplayers of living and enjoying the day at hand.

mostpost
08-07-2009, 07:32 PM

Thanks, rwwupl
Keeneland Race Course has a magnificent horse racing library on its grounds. One of the collections at the library is of all the past racing form charts.
I'm sure if you contact them and explain what you want and why, they will be willing to help. A small contribution to the library wouldn't hurt. :D

The phone number I found on the Keeneland web site is 859 254 3412.
I don't know if that is direct to the library or a general Keeneland number.
I hope this helps.

andymays
08-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Can't you order it from the DRF?

Hank
08-08-2009, 01:53 AM
On a sunny, warm May afternoon, Dr. Fager broke alertly, but there was no way he could outbreak the sprinters inside of him. As expected, Kissin' George, Rising Market and Dr. Roy E all gunned for the lead. As the field went around the clubhouse turn, Dr. Fager was a tad wide in fourth. The first quarter went in 22 2/5. As the field straightened down the backstretch, Braulio Baeza slowly guided Dr. Fager into second place along the rail behind Kissin' George. The half went in 45 flat.

Turning for home, Dr. Fager took the lead, passing the six furlongs in 1:08 3/5. From there, he simply coasted to the wire. I can still hear track announcer Harry Henson's call as Dr. Fager took the lead from Kissin' George. The champion mare Gamely came along for second, but as the Daily Racing Form chartcaller noted, Dr. Fager "drew away and won with authority." The margin at the end was three lengths. The time was 1:40 4/5, almost two seconds off the track and world record -- *but* that was set by Swaps in 1956 (1:39 flat).

http://z.about.com/d/horseracing/1/0/a/-/drfager.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9bucY6hLbA

Wellcrap...I just spent the better part of an hour looking for the chart on this race for you...man, if it's out there someplace, I sure can't find it...so I did the best for ya.
You prob'ly have watched the video, but maybe you can kinda make your own chart off the race video?

What a field he faced in the Californian...even the Sire of a mare I had (she's passed on) was in there...Our Micheal....and talking about great fillies/mares...Gamely...she was breathtaking.

Anyway...I hope someone can come up with that chart for ya!

The speed of the speed,of the speed,of the speed888

joanied
08-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the race link Joanied.I hear these names and have read about these horses but don't always sit down and think about looking up all their races on Youtube.He won easily and was a fluid piece of poetry in motion.

Thinking about horses like that and horses nowadays.I think there is a certain sense of mysticism that can form by not only the passing of years but the fact that there were no speed figures for those horses,at least not in the public consciousness.

Everybody is so picky and tacky about stuff,when you have a horse like Rachel A,it seems no matter how fast she runs,who she beats,or where she runs,it cannot overcome the hazy view of forgetfullness of competition,nonexistence of speed figures,and the illusion that the "good old days" of there and then are better than the here and now.Selective memory IMO robs many jaded,cynical horseplayers of living and enjoying the day at hand.

Cincy...very well said... may I add...the 'good old days' are gone...they'll never be forgotten by anyone that loves this game and the horses involved...folks say things like "we'll never see another Dr. Fager, Secretariat, Ruffian, Spectacular Bid ect ect ect...no, we won't...but, that doesn't mean we haven't been priveledged to see some exceptional horses within the last 25 years...even the last 10 years...notice I used 'exceptional'......not 'great'...because folks today seem very relcutant to use the word great...but forget Beyers, and all the handicapping numbers...for me, it really don't matter what the times are (you know a very good horse will run fast fractions anyway)...or weights (which because of the nature of today's TB, are not nearly what they were), or the competition our 'very good to exceptional' horses face...(we throw the best at them...and ya can't do much more than that)....
IMO, an exceptional horse is an exceptional horse...and folks would be better off to sit back and enjoy it...for it may be gone in an instant...I agree with ya, Cincy...enjoy thses exceptional horses now...and just give in to the feelings they produce....tears, goosebumps, a swelling of the heart that cannot be matched by anything else.

46zilzal
08-09-2009, 01:40 PM
The speed of the speed,of the speed,of the speed888
So was his cousin Ta Wee

rwwupl
08-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Keeneland Race Course has a magnificent horse racing library on its grounds. One of the collections at the library is of all the past racing form charts.
I'm sure if you contact them and explain what you want and why, they will be willing to help. A small contribution to the library wouldn't hurt. :D

The phone number I found on the Keeneland web site is 859 254 3412.
I don't know if that is direct to the library or a general Keeneland number.
I hope this helps.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: I contacted the DRF and was informed that the older files on microfiche have been moved to the Keeneland Library(library@keeneland.com) for safekeeping.I contacted the Keeneland Library and received this reply;

---------------------------------------------------------------------

rwwupl

Today I am mailing you a copy of the 1968 Californian won by Dr. Fager. The race was run on May 18, 1968 at Hollywood Park.

Kind regards,

Cathy C. Schenck

Librarian

Keeneland Library

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks to all again and especially the Daily Racing Form and the Keeneland Library. Fast Eddie smiled and said thanks.

rwwupl

joanied
08-11-2009, 10:57 AM
So was his cousin Ta Wee

:ThmbUp: Monster mare!!!!

joanied
08-11-2009, 11:06 AM
------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: I contacted the DRF and was informed that the older files on microfiche have been moved to the Keeneland Library(library@keeneland.com) for safekeeping.I contacted the Keeneland Library and received this reply;

---------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks to all again and especially the Daily Racing Form and the Keeneland Library. Fast Eddie smiled and said thanks.

rwwupl

Hey...that's great:ThmbUp: news, rwwupl...it's nice to know that the Keeneland Library cares...I am very happy for Fast Eddie... may I wish him a happy birthday with many years to come enjoying his Dr.Fager chart:jump: