PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Restaurant Recommendations

Vinman
08-06-2009, 09:39 PM
The other day while sitting in my seat in Section K I happened to overhear a woman rave to her friends about a restaurant meal she'd had the previous night in Saratoga Springs. Her exact words were "I was totally unprepared for the high caliber of the food they served at this place".

Before I give the restaurant name, I'll say that the first and only time I've eaten there was in 1995 and I remember it being a good meal. I do not own a piece of this place or know anyone who does.

The restaurant is Pennells, on Jefferson, on the way from the track to the Racino. They serve mostly Italian.

If you've had an outstanding meal in a Saratoga eatery, why not share it here.

Vinman

offtrack
08-06-2009, 09:56 PM
The steak at Docs Steakhouse was very good. Although the salad bar and the creamed spinach was only fair.
We had a group of six and the assorted cuts that were ordered were all good.

Giffy's Chicken, in Clifton Park, is always tasty. I know of no better.

Grits
08-06-2009, 10:09 PM
I agree Pennell's is good!

And of course, the Wishing Well.

Dick Powell
08-06-2009, 10:15 PM
If you want the best hamburger you will ever have, drive west on Geyser Road towards the Saratoga Airport. When you come to the intersection with a Stewart's on the right and a Cumberland Farms on the left, make a right onto Rowland Street and then turn left into Hanaford Plaza. To the right of Hanaford Supermarket is Juicyburger which serves steakburgers which enables them to cook them rare or medium rare. Fantastic taste and they are literally juicy so use your napkin wisely. If anyone goes, let us know what you think. Burgers and sweet potato fries are about $10 but well worth it.

Figman
08-06-2009, 10:20 PM
I have to agree....Juicyburger is the best burger I've had in the Albany-Saratoga-Glens Falls and Lake George area.

lamboguy
08-06-2009, 11:59 PM
i used to spend the whole meet in
saratoga. i ate at the wishing well every single night 7 days a week. they got fresh tomato's and corn there, the people are as nice as can be and you will see lots of pictures on the walls with famous horse people and horses. and there are lots of horse people that gather there every night. the last time i was there i had dinner with richie o'connel and hollywood herbie ,mccaully and his wife debbie the night before they won the travers stakes with thunder rumble.

badcompany
08-07-2009, 01:23 AM
HATTIE'S™ MENU

Appetizers
Seasonal Soup 3.00 cup / 6.00 bowl
Louisiana Style Crab Cakes 8.95
Good 'n Evil Chicken Wings 7.95
Cajun Shrimp Cocktail 10.95
Catfish Fingers 8.95
Chicken Livers 6.95
Hush Puppies 6.95

Entrees
Hattie's Famous Fried Chicken 15.95
served with a choice of 2 sides
Same recipe since 1938.

Fresh Fish of the Day Market
Depends on what's fresh! Please ask your server for details.

Jasper's Mac & Cheese 13.95
Available October - April
Crisp & Creamy! Made with Sharp cheddar & a crisp biscuit crust.
With andouille sausage or chicken 14.95

Creole Jambalaya 18.95
Andouille sausage, shrimp and chicken served with rice
Also available as an appetizer.

Chicken and Dumplings 14.95
Available October - April
A Southern classic! Served with giant dumplings.

Farm Raised Catfish 17.95
Pan fried in seasoned cornmeal

Red Beans and Rice 12.95
Slow cooked red beans and long grain Carolina rice.
Add a piece of fried chicken or andouille sausage. 13.95

Jasper's Gumbo of the day Market
Please ask your server for details. Also available as an appetizer.

Slow Cooked BBQ Spare Ribs 17.95
A generous portion of tender ribs with our own BBQ sauce

Marinated Skirt Steak 21.95
Grilled and served with chimichurri sauce.

Bobzilla
08-07-2009, 06:49 AM
I've never had a bad meal at the Olde Bryan Inne in downtown Saratoga Springs right next to the Convention Center. I usually order the prime rib and request that it be cooked with cajun spices. When I'm done at the Olde Bryan Inne I usually walk on down to the Parting Glass for a few Black and Tans. I love being up at Saratoga Springs this time of year, it's like heaven on earth. Here is a link to the Olde Bryan Inne restaurant.

http://www.oldebryaninn.com/

Java Gold@TFT
08-07-2009, 08:40 AM
I also always like Old Bryan and the same people run Longfellows down the road from the track just east of the northway near Saratoga National GC.

Maestro's in front of the Adelphi is great but a little pricier and crowded in August. I've never had a bad meal at Wheatfields if you like fresh homemade pastas of all kinds.

If you go to The Parting Glass you should eat elsewhere first. Joan ran rampant through the staff a few years ago and it's never been the same. There are about 3 things on the menu that pretend to be Irish but it's mostly Italian (and not high quality).

If you want another Irish place to go the Irish Times just opened this year on Broadway and Phila. It used to be a few different microbrewery places but now it's an Irish place with a lot of beers on tap. The food has gotten varied reviews but the owners are working on everything and are happy to make things to order. Worth a try other than Parting Glass.

I haven't had a bad steak or prime rib at Cliff's but it tends to get mixed reviews. It's just down the road in Malta and a bit off the beaten track heading toward the south end of Saratoga Lake.

I know you've been coming for years so you probably know most of this but others don't.

onefast99
08-07-2009, 09:00 AM
The Stadium Club in downtown Saratoga has very good pub food, lots of tv's to see any sporting events and of course Del Mar live racing(after the last spa races are done) while you enjoy the food. The hamburgers were excellent and the wait staff is easy on the eyes.

Grits
08-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Old Bryan and Cliff's are both enjoyable. Though, for me, Old Bryan can get noisy. Rather, that was the case last time I had dinner there. My table was in a smaller low ceiling room.

The short ride out of town to Cliff's is nice in the evening especially when the moon is full over the lake. Neat little restaurant, equally nice setting.

Glad you thought to mention these two Java.

OTM Al
08-07-2009, 09:26 AM
Olde Bryan is good for the standard restraunt fare you find in most of the country. One Caroline is very good with a bit of a cajunish flair (I won't call it cajun for real if its outside LA). There's an inexpensive mexican place (sorry, can't remember name) near the raceway that wasn't bad for the price. The wife says she's found an Indian place up there that is quite good so I will be trying that soon. Parting Glass is ok, fairly standard fare for a restaurant/bar.

Java Gold@TFT
08-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Olde Bryan is good for the standard restraunt fare you find in most of the country. One Caroline is very good with a bit of a cajunish flair (I won't call it cajun for real if its outside LA). There's an inexpensive mexican place (sorry, can't remember name) near the raceway that wasn't bad for the price. The wife says she's found an Indian place up there that is quite good so I will be trying that soon. Parting Glass is ok, fairly standard fare for a restaurant/bar.
Mexican Connection is right across from the backstretch Nelson Avenue Gate. It's ex-jockey Filberto Leon's place with good food and not expenxive drinks.

OTM Al
08-07-2009, 09:45 AM
That's it.

Nacumi
08-07-2009, 12:08 PM
The Grey Gelding on Broadway, and Mango 29 in Schuylerville for great deli sandwiches.

Red Knave
08-07-2009, 12:39 PM
The wife says she's found an Indian place up there that is quite good so I will be trying that soonIf it's the one near Court and Spring (or Phila?) I would like to hear how you liked it. The house we were in the previous few years was right around the corner and we never went there.

OTM Al
08-07-2009, 01:58 PM
If it's the one near Court and Spring (or Phila?) I would like to hear how you liked it. The house we were in the previous few years was right around the corner and we never went there.

I'm heading up for the weekend in a few hours so maybe we'll go there Saturday night. I'll let you know though. I like Indian, so I'll be biased in one way or another.

MzDucat
08-08-2009, 04:33 AM
Mexican Connection is where Luke's used to be-directly across from the backstretch security gate. The Townhouse, then Barney's Townhouse, then Leones is two streets up and about a block and half up. Leons is Filiberto Leon's restaurant. John Meara owned it 20 years ago, then Barney, then Filiberto. Both good eats but a bit different.

For italian Try Sonny & Jeffs on Route 50. Worth the ten minute drive. And reasonable. Mamma Mia's is good too and closer to town. Both won't be packed racing season.

MzDucat
08-08-2009, 04:38 AM
Vinman:

If you would like to stop by and say hi at the track I'm in Main Line 3-the 500 line as mini dealer. Would love to meet a paceadvantage person. Planning to meet up with the table guys around the 18th. We are planning a trip to the harness track. MzDucat/Cynthia

Vinman
08-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Last week I found myself standing next to the venerable tip sheet guy, Tom Mullan, while trying to resell my seats last Sunday. He's 76, and a native Saratogian.

I asked him which was his choice for best Pizza in Saratoga. He said he likes Marino's on W. Circular St near Hamilton and the one on Henry St, which is called Inferno. I tried a slice from Inferno after they whipped up a fresh midafternnoon pie at my request when the slices they had looked kinda "cardboardy". The new slices were good, and big, unlike the smaller slices served a block away in the place on the corner near Sperry's.

Has anyone tried Marino's? How 'bout the place that used to be Bruno's. Sabina?

For pizza to enter my personal "pantheon of greatness", it needs to be thin crust and have plenty of sauce that can be tasted separately from the cheese. Most places the sauce & cheese are so mixed together its hard to distinguish one pizzeria's offering from the next.

One unsolicited recommendation from Tom.....Best Breakfast in town is served at the Horseshoe Inn on Nelson. I'd agree its quite good.

Vinman

Java Gold@TFT
08-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Vin, I grew up on Inferno Pizza at its original location in Loudonville (suburb of Albany). In the last few years they have expanded to at least 7 or 8 spots in the Capital District. I've always liked it but they changed their crust alittle lately and it has been "chewier" than it was.

I always liked Pope's Pizza. Now it is out on the west side of town on Washington St. I don't remember how long you've been coming here but it used to be in the old Red Barn restaurant on Broadway. I think it's Border's books or something else right now. Still good pizza and even if you don't want thick pizza their Scicilian is excellent.

Vinman
08-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Java:

I do recall Pope's in town and finally tried their pizza a couple of years ago....found it to be quite good actually.

Yes, Tom mentioned that Inferno was a relatively new addition to their other locations.

rrbauer
08-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Last week I found myself standing next to the venerable tip sheet guy, Tom Mullan, while trying to resell my seats last Sunday. He's 76, and a native Saratogian.

I asked him which was his choice for best Pizza in Saratoga. He said he likes Marino's on W. Circular St near Hamilton and the one on Henry St, which is called Inferno. I tried a slice from Inferno after they whipped up a fresh midafternnoon pie at my request when the slices they had looked kinda "cardboardy". The new slices were good, and big, unlike the smaller slices served a block away in the place on the corner near Sperry's.

Has anyone tried Marino's? How 'bout the place that used to be Bruno's. Sabina?

For pizza to enter my personal "pantheon of greatness", it needs to be thin crust and have plenty of sauce that can be tasted separately from the cheese. Most places the sauce & cheese are so mixed together its hard to distinguish one pizzeria's offering from the next.

One unsolicited recommendation from Tom.....Best Breakfast in town is served at the Horseshoe Inn on Nelson. I'd agree its quite good.

Vinman
I don't remember the name, but two years ago I got pizza for the guys at the house from a small place down an alley off one of the main streets in toga. Ordered 3 or 4 pies on the phone right from the yellow pages picked it up on schedule and it was quite good. Place only had a couple small tables, mostly a carry-out operation.

offtrack
08-08-2009, 05:59 PM
If your looking for a nice place to park it for a while, try Virgil's on Henry Street. Nice coffee bar and deli, with lots of space to sit and study, chat or whatever. Reminds me of the old Madeline's coffee shop in Saratoga, now gone but not forgotten.

OTM Al
08-08-2009, 09:16 PM
If it's the one near Court and Spring (or Phila?) I would like to hear how you liked it. The house we were in the previous few years was right around the corner and we never went there.

It was not that one. That place was called "Little India" or some such. We went tonight to Karavalli on Caroline and Henry. Despite the big crowd at the track, there were seats to be had as it is a couple blocks off the main drag and tourists probably are not drawn to Indian. Clean, bright place, simply decorated (unlike many Indian places I've been to). There was a wide variety on the menu, including some seafood dishes. We started with samosas, veggy and lamb. Both were excellent with flakey crusts. I had my favorite, Chicken Tikka Masala and some garlic nan, the wife had vegetable Biriyani. The Tikka Masala is a standard dish and it was one of the best I ever have had. The tomato flavor really came through and the nan wasn't at all greasy as the garlic kind often can be. Total price was only $60 plus tip for 2 including drinks. Strong recommendation.

Next week, Mouson House

the little guy
08-09-2009, 12:44 AM
I suggest ordering a day or two ahead of time at the Mouzon House.

Red Knave
08-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Strong recommendation.Thanks Al.

I suggest ordering a day or two ahead of time at the Mouzon House.Is the service that slow or are they just busy? :D

alhattab
08-09-2009, 12:41 PM
I don't remember the name, but two years ago I got pizza for the guys at the house from a small place down an alley off one of the main streets in toga. Ordered 3 or 4 pies on the phone right from the yellow pages picked it up on schedule and it was quite good. Place only had a couple small tables, mostly a carry-out operation.

You can get pretty good pizza up there. I've always thought D'Andreas on Caroline was pretty good. And there is a pizza/restaurant in the big Price Chopper strip mall called Mama Mia's is good too (the Brick Oven pie is great).

delayjf
08-09-2009, 12:58 PM
If you want the best hamburger you will ever have, drive west on Geyser Road towards the Saratoga Airport. When you come to the intersection with a Stewart's on the right and a Cumberland Farms on the left, make a right onto Rowland Street and then turn left into Hanaford Plaza. To the right of Hanaford Supermarket is Juicyburger which serves steakburgers which enables them to cook them rare or medium rare. Fantastic taste and they are literally juicy so use your napkin wisely. If anyone goes, let us know what you think. Burgers and sweet potato fries are about $10 but well worth it.

Dude, you're Killing me. Sounds like a place the food channel to profile on "Dinners, Drive-in and Dives.

Nobody has mentioned Siros, are they still around?

Vinman
08-11-2009, 08:01 AM
Siro's is still around, with their proverbial "gotta hit the Pick 6 to afford dinner" prices.

I wonder what the place will evolve into when the current owners finally succeed in selling the place, as they've been trying to do since last winter. BTW, Bobby Flay isn't interested in buying Siro's or any other Saratoga eatery.

V.

Java Gold@TFT
08-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Siro's is still around, with their proverbial "gotta hit the Pick 6 to afford dinner" prices.

I wonder what the place will evolve into when the current owners finally succeed in selling the place, as they've been trying to do since last winter. BTW, Bobby Flay isn't interested in buying Siro's or any other Saratoga eatery.

V.
I know I read somewhere locally last year that the asking price for Siro's was in the $3.5M-$4M range. Nice location but not all that big and they probably make more money on their drinks than on their food.

Crist was back to praising the Wishing Well again last week in his blog. Sorry but after 6 hourse at the track I'm not really in the mood for fine dining. Maybe that's just me. Give me someplace where I can relax a little and still get away with a $60 check for 2 people. That's not outrageous to ask for, even in Saratoga. A couple of $20 something entrees and a beer for me and glass of wine for the Mrs. and the world is right.

offtrack
08-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Went to Pennell's last night and had just that.

Italian style, very well done.

OTM Al
08-11-2009, 09:58 AM
I know I read somewhere locally last year that the asking price for Siro's was in the $3.5M-$4M range. Nice location but not all that big and they probably make more money on their drinks than on their food.

Crist was back to praising the Wishing Well again last week in his blog. Sorry but after 6 hourse at the track I'm not really in the mood for fine dining. Maybe that's just me. Give me someplace where I can relax a little and still get away with a $60 check for 2 people. That's not outrageous to ask for, even in Saratoga. A couple of $20 something entrees and a beer for me and glass of wine for the Mrs. and the world is right.

Olde Bryan, mentioned above, would be perfect for you then

Little Watermelon
08-11-2009, 09:59 AM
We usually eat in Albany. Grandma's has straightforward food and good pie. We like German food, and dining in a 70's atmosphere, so we usually go to Spa Bauhaus in Ballston Spa, at least once during the meet. El Mariachi has authentic Mexican food. On the pricier side, the Standard has very good food, and tasty Buffalo chicken rolls.

ghostyapper
08-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Longfellow's is an excellent restaurant by the lake, real gourmet food.

W2G
08-11-2009, 10:23 AM
No mentions of Sushi Thai Garden yet? Consistently good sushi and always satisfying after a day of track fare.

Across the street Hattie's is a lot of fun and much more than just fried chicken. Comfort food kicked up a few notches.

PJ's on Rt. 9 is a unique experience for city folk and the complete opposite of fine dining. Great ribs. Good choice for a cheap but tasty dinner after a "rough" day at the windows.

Java Gold@TFT
08-11-2009, 10:36 AM
We usually eat in Albany. Grandma's has straightforward food and good pie. We like German food, and dining in a 70's atmosphere, so we usually go to Spa Bauhaus in Ballston Spa, at least once during the meet. El Mariachi has authentic Mexican food. On the pricier side, the Standard has very good food, and tasty Buffalo chicken rolls.
lW, good to see you again. Maybe I'll see you sometime at the meet this year. Anyway, here's a place you need to try in Albany. it's new this year.

http://wolffsbiergarten.com/

It's right on Broadway. Huge mugs of beer with a huge international variety of draughts, peanut shells on the floor, plenty of music, wurts and potato pancakes. I think you and Mrs. LW will like it. If you don't make it this month then definitely try when you come back for a hockey game.

grimm7
08-11-2009, 10:38 AM
If anyone feels like driving to Albany. Monday night they have a Italian buffet at the Italian Americam Community Center. Best buffet I have ever had. They have so mant items to eat. It's unbelievable!

Java Gold@TFT
08-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Olde Bryan, mentioned above, would be perfect for you then
Thanks, I already mentioned that I go there on the first page of this thread. :) Along with their other restaurant, Longfellow's. I also like Gaffney's on Caroline one block off Broadway. I just don't go there during the meet but enjoy it in the spring and the fall. Decent food and reasonable prices for saratoga.

OTM Al
08-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks, I already mentioned that I go there on the first page of this thread. :) Along with their other restaurant, Longfellow's. I also like Gaffney's on Caroline one block off Broadway. I just don't go there during the meet but enjoy it in the spring and the fall. Decent food and reasonable prices for saratoga.

See, I was right then! :)

Vinman
08-11-2009, 01:37 PM
What happened to The Weathervane......on Rt 9 north as you come into town from exit 13N. Property is up for sale.

I was always curious about the place, but never enough to actually go there. Perhaps too many folks felt the same way.

offtrack
08-11-2009, 01:54 PM
I always enjoyed my visit to the Wearthervane in Saratoga.
A New England chain of seafood retaurants, that are still viable in NE:
From the Saratogian-
10/01/2008

SARATOGA SPRINGS - After more than 20 years on South Broadway, the Weathervane seafood restaurant closed this week.

]]>Both the Saratoga Springs and Rutland, Vt., restaurants were forced to shut down.

Owner Terry Gagner said Tuesday that the twice-a-week shipping from the restaurant's distribution center in Kittery, Maine, became too expensive.

"The trucking became prohibitive," Gagner said. Saratoga Springs was the furthest location west for the deliveries, Gagner said, requiring the longest travel time for truckers.

"We've been there for more than 20 years, so it's sort of a special spot for us," he said.

A press release by the company said the restaurants wanted to stick to self-distribution.

Through an agreement with some fishermen that supply the 16 restaurants in New England, only three or four days pass before a fish pulled from the sea is placed on the table, Gagner said.

According to a report published in the Rutland Herald, the Saratoga Springs location employed about 50 people.

It was not immediately clear whether there would be any severance available for workers.

dkorzun21
08-11-2009, 02:48 PM
good fellows right by saratoga lake and saratoga golf course

dkorzun21
08-11-2009, 02:49 PM
I always enjoyed my visit to the Wearthervane in Saratoga.
A New England chain of seafood retaurants, that are still viable in NE:
From the Saratogian-
10/01/2008

SARATOGA SPRINGS - After more than 20 years on South Broadway, the Weathervane seafood restaurant closed this week.

]]>Both the Saratoga Springs and Rutland, Vt., restaurants were forced to shut down.

Owner Terry Gagner said Tuesday that the twice-a-week shipping from the restaurant's distribution center in Kittery, Maine, became too expensive.

"The trucking became prohibitive," Gagner said. Saratoga Springs was the furthest location west for the deliveries, Gagner said, requiring the longest travel time for truckers.

"We've been there for more than 20 years, so it's sort of a special spot for us," he said.

A press release by the company said the restaurants wanted to stick to self-distribution.

Through an agreement with some fishermen that supply the 16 restaurants in New England, only three or four days pass before a fish pulled from the sea is placed on the table, Gagner said.

According to a report published in the Rutland Herald, the Saratoga Springs location employed about 50 people.

It was not immediately clear whether there would be any severance available for workers.

weathervane is out of business

rrbauer
08-11-2009, 05:11 PM

Which El Mariachi? There are several in the area.
Thanks.

Java Gold@TFT
08-12-2009, 06:31 AM
This looked interesting for someone looking for something different. Check out the "Theme Tours" in the right hand column:

http://www.horsintours.com/

Vinman
08-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Is it true what Steve Crist said on his DRF.com blog the other day about there being no decent Chinese takeout place in Saratoga?

rokitman
08-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Anybody that is in Saratoga and looking for Chinese has no credibility on matters of taste. I mean, we are talking about a guy who is still wearing a pony tail, for pete's sake!

Now Mexican, that's different :eek: A few days ago I had a deeeelicious steak quesadilla at Leon's (owned the former jock, Filiberto).

Vinman
08-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Rokitman:

Been to Leon's numerous times & have never been disappointed.

In terms of "Grab & Go" fare, it's hard to top Ben & Bill's Deli located inside the completely refurbed Price Chopper at 115 Ballston Ave, in the same strip mall as Rite Aid, just a Tiger Woods drive from McDonald's (over the trees of course).

A huge selection of made to order sandwiches as well as pre-made ones with Boars Head cold cuts. They also have a salad bar, fresh Sushi made by their Sushi master as well as fresh Pizza.

My fave thing at Ben & Bill's is actually a breakfast item.....their Challah French Toast, served daily till 11am along with their complete menu of breakfast items, including Omlets & corned beef hash. Along with three thick slices of Challah French Toast, they give you separate mini containers of butter & syrup. I take it to the house where I stay a few minutes away and nuke everything up nice & piping hot. Better French Toast you will not find anywhere in town. I had it 4 days in a row last time I was up there opening week.....it's addictive.

A local friend tells me that there's a Chinese place on Congress St near the Friendly's Ice Cream & CVS that's pretty good....probably better than the one Steve went to.

Vinman

johnhannibalsmith
08-13-2009, 02:15 PM
I almost never miss living in Saratoga anymore... and then I stumble into this thread... You guys are cruel... :(

BIG49010
08-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Anybody happen to know the name of the Italian resturant in Glens Falls, downtown on main drag. It used to be very, very good back a few moons ago.

Saratoga_Mike
08-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Anybody happen to know the name of the Italian resturant in Glens Falls, downtown on main drag. It used to be very, very good back a few moons ago.

Massie's in South Glens Falls?

1GCFAN
08-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Wishing Well for the beefsteak tomatoes!
D'Andreas for pizza by the slice.
Saratoga Diner for breakfast while watching "Good Morning Saratoga"
Tiz the life!

BIG49010
08-14-2009, 04:45 AM
Massie's in South Glens Falls?

Looks like the place, the Braciole was so good I had it two nights in a row!!

Saratoga_Mike
08-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Looks like the place, the Braciole was so good I had it two nights in a row!!

In my opinion, Massie's serves Americanized Italian. Unless it's been renovated in the past few yrs, the decor is drab and worn. All that said, it is a favorite of locals. If you prefer more naunced Italian, try Limoncello in Saratoga.

ryesteve
08-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Karavalli on Caroline and Henry
Thanks for this one. Ate there tonight and was really happy with it :ThmbUp:

Saratoga_Mike
08-14-2009, 08:58 PM
On a Tuesday, I'd recommend people hop in their car and drive 20 to 25 minutes to Glens Falls and get a burger at Poopie DI Manno's - perhaps the best burger you'll ever have, but they're only open for lunch.

rjorio
08-14-2009, 09:23 PM
The Wishing Well for old fashioned American,great lamb chops,convivial host Bob Lee jr,nice wine list,older but fun racing crowd.Sperry's, for the softshell crabs.Hatties, for the fried chicken and backyard bar.Fornos for a great antpasto,calamare ,eggplant parm.Chez Sophie for a splurge,excellent French, but not cheap ,located in the Hilton.Chez PIERRE past the Wishing Well for good classic French ,Carl Lizza and Jean Luc Samyn are regulars,worth the drive.Mrs London for pastry and coffee,outstanding for breakfast or after dinner.Little India on Court Street for the lamb vindaloo and chicken Tikka Marsala.The bad news ,no good Chinese and if you are used to NYC thin crust pie [ARTURO'S ,JOHNS ,LOMBARDIS,ETC] I HAVEN'T FOUND IT IN sARATOGA.sUGGESTIONS WELCOME.

Figman
08-14-2009, 11:28 PM
There is one Chinese restaurant in the area that towers above all others. It's The Plum Blossom located on Route 7 (Hoosick Street) in Troy. It's about 35 minutes from Saratoga. Steve, the proprietor has been in business at the Plum Blossom for twenty-five to thirty years and before that was affiliated with the top Albany restaurant which closed.

Java Gold@TFT
08-15-2009, 05:41 AM
rjorio, get to Chez Sophie quick if you want some. It's scheduled to close in September. The owner/chef are moving (I belive to France).

From their website: http://www.chezsophie.com/letter6_4_09.html

Pricey but not overly pretentious.

badcompany
08-15-2009, 12:02 PM
There is one Chinese restaurant in the area that towers above all others. It's The Plum Blossom located on Route 7 (Hoosick Street) in Troy. It's about 35 minutes from Saratoga. Steve, the proprietor has been in business at the Plum Blossom for twenty-five to thirty years and before that was affiliated with the top Albany restaurant which closed.

What kinda name is "Steve" for an owner of a Chinese restaurant?:D

PaceAdvantage
08-15-2009, 07:31 PM
On a Tuesday, I'd recommend people hop in their car and drive 20 to 25 minutes to Glens Falls and get a burger at Poopie DI Manno's - perhaps the best burger you'll ever have, but they're only open for lunch.Speaking of inappropriate names, am I the only one who laughed thinking about a restaurant where the first name on the sign is Poopie????

oddsmaven
08-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks (OTM) Al for suggesting Karavalli this past Saturday...Irina and I enjoy Indian food - their's was quite good and they had a substantial menu...my only squawk was they wouldn't make the entire meal a freebie to soothe the string of losers I racked up that afternoon. :(

Lasix67
08-27-2009, 10:49 AM
My wife and I are up here in Saratoga for the entire week leading up to the Travers. The first night we went to the Olde Bryan Inn the first night and it was excellent, with hearty portions. It was very good and a must if you come to Saratoga. Last night we went to Pennells and the food was most disappointing to say the least, average at best Italian food. The bar seemed to be the hit of the place, but what bar in this city isn't at this time of the year. The Bed n Breakfast we are staying in has the absolute best breakfast every morning that we have ever had. It's like eating at Brennan's in New Orleans every morning, OUTSTANDING!

Stevie Belmont
08-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Paradiso II is a very nice place and a super dining experience. Great food as well...

Vinman
08-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Lasix67

Sorry to hear you had a negative experience at Pennells. Can you post what entrees were sampled so that others may avoid same?

I second your opinion of the Olde Bryan Inn. I especially enjoy dining on the screened porch with the llive entertainment duo.

Care to share the B&B that is the source of the excellent breakfast?

I recently brought a Pizza from Inferno's on Henry St to the home of the locals I stay with, one of whom works for Hatties. Their regular cheese pie received a double thumbs up across the table. Their pie is made "conveyor belt" style rather than brick oven style, but it's damn good.

They deilver and they're open till midnight.

Lasix67
08-28-2009, 06:57 PM
At Pennells I had the Veal Marsala and my wife had the chicken fricasse and the appetizer was a eggplant w/ricotta cheese on the inside and deep fried.
Last night we ate at the Wine Bar on Broadway and had an excellent time with the cheese dish and wine as well as lamb and a chicken liver done with a caramelized onions and sauteed green tomatoes, which was unbelieveable. The wine was also excellent as expected.
We are staying at the Fox n the Hound Bed n Breakfast and it has been a pure delight.

W2G
08-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Looking for the best steak served in or very near Saratoga Springs (i.e. Lake George too far). Advice? Consensus? Thanks.

Grits
08-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Looking for the best steak served in or very near Saratoga Springs (i.e. Lake George too far). Advice? Consensus? Thanks.

Try the filet at Olde Bryan. Excellent. As is the haddock and the salmon.

My only concern--one that has bothered me in the past, its quite noisy--especially so, after the races. Low ceilings.

Vinman
08-01-2010, 09:53 AM
WG2...

I would second the Olde Bryan Inn....been there a bunch of times and never had a bad meal. My crew and I eat out on the screened in porch, where there are high ceilings for my 6'4" frame. They usually have some nice entertainment out there in the form of a signing guitarist. Never annoying.

Another place to try would be the newly re-opened Sperry's on Caroline St. Some local friends were taking their wives there for dinner after the races last night. One of them said he really enjoyed it on his prior visit when they first reopened, with an all new menu and one of the top Chefs in the region at the helm. Same ownership as the Circus Cafe on Broadway.

Vinman

Rico8812
08-01-2010, 10:34 AM
The Lodge is a great place if you're looking for a higher end experience. Great wine list too.

appistappis
08-02-2010, 01:39 AM
p.j.'s for chicken and ribs......I needed a shower when i was done. :)

Dick Powell
08-02-2010, 07:35 AM
For best steak, I vote for Prime at Saratoga National or Maestro's on Broadway. Both expensive but worth the money.

Java Gold@TFT
08-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Best steak - Cliff's Country Inn - a real homey place on the south side of Saratoga Lake. Ask around for directions but it's only 10 - 15 minutes from downtown Saratoga.

matthiaswh
08-02-2010, 03:52 PM
There are a lot of good eats in and around Saratoga.

I recommend driving the 15 minutes down to Ballston Spa to visit Augie's family style Italian food. Some of the best Italian in the area.

Right in Saratoga is the Saratoga Diner. It's your typical local diner, greasy food, great burgers, serve breakfast all day.

I second (or third) Juicy Burger. Very tasty.

I wasn't impressed with the Circus Cafe right on the strip, but many people will tell you its terrific. Maybe it was a bad experience and I ought to give it a second chance.

Regards,

Cardus
08-02-2010, 04:08 PM
I just started reading the thread, and I noticed that Wheatfields was mentioned.

I had a fantastic meal there.

Mike at A+
08-02-2010, 04:20 PM
I just started reading the thread, and I noticed that Wheatfields was mentioned.

I had a fantastic meal there.
Yeah The Wheat Fields has always been a favorite of ours. The home made pasta is what puts this place over the top. So many different varieties too and some excellent sauces. Fresh baked bread, crisp salads and one of the best dessert menus on the strip as well.

To W2G, George's Steakhouse in Lake George is worth the drive even though you said it's a bit far. The smothered Delmonico is unbelievable and their Prime Rib is one of the best I've ever had.

LA Racing Lady
08-22-2010, 03:55 PM
I have to agree with Mike about Georges. Just got back from Saratoga a few days ago. Lake George is really not all that far, just 4 exits from Saratoga Springs. Georges looks like an old hunting lodge, and almost scared me away, glad I decided to stay. I had the Delmonico and it was by far the best steak that I have ever had, ever! Well worth the drive and the price!

JustRalph
08-22-2010, 04:04 PM
The Parting Glass makes a pretty good Corned Beef Sandwich.........

Open Face Turkey too........

sonnyp
08-22-2010, 04:34 PM
going back three years or so i enjoyed sergio's both the food and the racetrackers who frequented the place. somewhere on this site i saw 1 negative comment about it.

has anybody tried it recently.....has it gone the wrong way ?

Vinman
08-22-2010, 04:40 PM
We stopped at Leon's after the track last night.....had the always reliable number 5 (Rachel Ray's fave) This place is relaxed, friendly and won't break the bankroll on the way to the Racino. BTW, Leon's is ranked the 7th best restaurant in Saratoga according to comments on TripAdvisor.

I also recently had an outstanding appetizer at the Olde Bryan Inn....Balsamic Beef Tip Bruschetta....$8.99. Next time I'm going to see if I can get it as an Entree....it was that good. The "OBI" is ranked #6 on TripAdvisor.

For those who may be wondering.....The number one ranked eatery in Saratoga according to TripAdvisor is Tiznow, which I have yet to try. Mrs. London's is #2, Mexican Connection is #3, Limoncello is #4 despite a slew of negative comments, #5 is Cianti, their new location on Division St. Went by there the other night and after seeing a Rolls and a Bentley parked out front, my brother and I decided on an outdoor table at The Wheatfields. I had the Lobster Ravioli in a Sherry Cream sauce, which was very good. My brother had Eggplant Parmesan, which was excellent....enough for two people.

For tonight's dinner with two friends I've narrowed the field down to Sperry's with the new Mgt and chef that's been getting lots of positive buzz, Chianti, The Grey Gelding and the Olde Bryan Inn. I've got Augie's in Ballston Spa down as an "AE" if my two friends are willing to take a 20 minute ride down Route 50 for some outstanding family style Italian served in an unpretentious little roadside place with lots of charm. It's on your left just a hair before the Dunkin' Donuts on your right as you travel south.

Vinman

badcompany
08-23-2010, 01:21 AM
Hattie's is opening a new location in the parking lot of the Wilton Mall. There's gonna be a lunch menu as opposed to the main location which doesn't open until five, and I'm guessing the menu will be more extensive than what they have at the track.Also, Stewarts has great coffee and the breakfast sandwiches are quite good.

Vinman
08-23-2010, 09:36 AM
We had a nice dinner at the Olde Bryan Inn last night except for the Gorgonzola and Horseradish Encrusted NY Strip Steak for $26.99. My friend said it was a "tough" piece of meat. My other friend had another type of steak (not sure which) that was fine.

Any nominations for best steak in town?

Vinman

lamboguy
08-23-2010, 09:46 AM
We had a nice dinner at the Olde Bryan Inn last night except for the Gorgonzola and Horseradish Encrusted NY Strip Steak for $26.99. My friend said it was a "tough" piece of meat. My other friend had another type of steak (not sure which) that was fine.

Vinmango to the wishing well, i neve had a bad meal there in my life. and they give you all the fresh corn and tomatos that your heart might desire.
tell them "jimmy the greek" sent you and they will buy you a drink

Java Gold@TFT
08-23-2010, 03:29 PM

Vinman
Cliff's Country Inn . It's just near the south end of Saratoga Lake. I think you make the turn at the Ripe Tomato and Publik House, head east and it's about 2 miles on the left. Nothing to look at but great steaks.

BTW Publik House has very good pizza if you don't mind leaving downtown.

W2G
08-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the many great opinions on best steak, I'll need to decide. George's may very well offer the best food but I'm not sure it has the right vibe. I'll be with a potential client. More responses very welcome...

Vinman
08-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the many great opinions on best steak, I'll need to decide. George's may very well offer the best food but I'm not sure it has the right vibe. I'll be with a potential client. More responses very welcome...

A friend of mine from nearby Cohoes, who is President of an Insurance Agency, swears by the new team in place at Sperry's as of mid-July. He says their new Chef, Dale Miller, is the best in the region. I was just on the Sperry's website and they have several different kinds of steak, NY Strip, Filet Mignon as well as their "Hangar Steak". If I were you, I'd go there for a "dry run" steak dinner before you bring the client, but it sure sounds like the new Sperry's is the real deal. Give us a review if you go.

OTM Al
08-25-2010, 04:36 PM
A friend of mine from nearby Cohoes, who is President of an Insurance Agency, swears by the new team in place at Sperry's as of mid-July. He says their new Chef, Dale Miller, is the best in the region. I was just on the Sperry's website and they have several different kinds of steak, NY Strip, Filet Mignon as well as their "Hangar Steak". If I were you, I'd go there for a "dry run" steak dinner before you bring the client, but it sure sounds like the new Sperry's is the real deal. Give us a review if you go.

Been twice and it's very good. So good that the owners of another major B'way restauant were eating there one of the nights. I have not tried the beef but essentially the menu breaks down into pasta dishes, seafood, and a few beef dishes. Not trying to do everything so they can do what they do very well. Both meals I had there were excellent, but it is fine dining prices. Also met the chef the second time I went and he was very personable and interested in what we thought. IMO, Grey Gelding is still the best, but this place is closing fast with a good sized gap back to third.

Irish Boy
08-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Has anyone been to Maestro's yet? I have reservations for Friday (My first trip to the Spa). I'm still looking for a restaurant after the Travers. Would kind of prefer fine dining.

OTM Al
08-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Has anyone been to Maestro's yet? I have reservations for Friday (My first trip to the Spa). I'm still looking for a restaurant after the Travers. Would kind of prefer fine dining.

Was just there Monday. It was ok. I wasn't thrilled with what I had, the Lobster and Scallop Risotto, but the wife had one of the chicken dishes and said it was really good. Can say their dessert bread pudding was excellent and service was very good. The risotto was a little soupy I thought, but the ingrediants were good and fresh, just not well made IMO.

Irish Boy
08-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Good to know, thanks!

Vinman
08-25-2010, 05:04 PM

If you want fine dining on Travers night, the "gold standard" would likely include Chianti's, now located on Division St just off Broadway. If the quality of the "wheels" parked out front is any indication, they're in the mix. Last Friday night there was a Rolls Royce and a Bentley right in front. Check their menu online. Last I looked a few days ago, they were rated the #5 restaurant in Saratoga Springs on TripAdvisor out of 135.

Irish Boy
08-25-2010, 05:07 PM
If you want fine dining on Travers night, the "gold standard" would likely include Chianti's, now located on Division St just off Broadway. If the quality of the "wheels" parked out front is any indication, they're in the mix. Last Friday night there was a Rolls Royce and a Bentley right in front. Check their menu online. Last I looked a few days ago, they were rated the #5 restaurant in Saratoga Springs on TripAdvisor out of 135.
That's kind of what I was thinking, especially because they don't take reservations and I was too stupid to plan ahead for Saturday.

LA Racing Lady
08-28-2010, 12:41 AM
To impress your client, take him to Prime. But make a reservation and bring lots of $$$$. If you can get a table on the patio, it overlooks the beautiful golf course.

Vinman
08-28-2010, 12:47 AM
To impress your client, take him to Prime. But make a reservation and bring lots of $$$$. If you can get a table on the patio, it overlooks the beautiful golf course.

I've heard several radio spots for Prime on 101.3 since I arrived yesterday. They clearly feel they serve the very best steak around. My Cohoes buddy who loves the new Sperry's says Prime is the best for steaks...."But be prepared to pay dearly for it".....LOL!

sonnyp
08-28-2010, 01:15 AM

give us your impressions of your first visit to the spa ????

Vinman
08-31-2010, 12:25 AM
In case anyone's interested, according to the Monday morning TV shows on the Albany OTB network, the Phipps family celebrated their huge upset win in the Personal Ensign at Sergio's, while team Rachel dined at Prime at Saratoga National, no doubt with multiple bottles of Kendall Jackson to wash down those juicy steaks.

LA Racing Lady
08-31-2010, 10:22 PM
give us your impressions of your first visit to the spa ????

Better than I expected. I certainly want to go back. Would love to spend an entire meet there. It was so much larger than I expected. Had a wonderful time and some great food. Did not do good at the windows, but that was okay. Meet some great people and got to touch the 2009 Horse of the Year! Thanks to all of you guys for your recommendations.

sonnyp
09-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Better than I expected. I certainly want to go back. Would love to spend an entire meet there. It was so much larger than I expected. Had a wonderful time and some great food. Did not do good at the windows, but that was okay. Meet some great people and got to touch the 2009 Horse of the Year! Thanks to all of you guys for your recommendations.

im prejudiced, i was born and raised there. as a youngster, i thought every track was like saratoga. little did i know !!

the entire experience from watching am workouts with a cup of dunkin donut coffee to dinner and cocktails with people talking one thing and one thing only, horses is an escape from the reality of the world today. it seems to rise above the politics and problems, and bring with it those who choose to participate. its a shame it cant last longer, but that's what makes it special.

glad you enjoyed it. do come back

alhattab
09-01-2010, 01:26 PM
im prejudiced, i was born and raised there. as a youngster, i thought every track was like saratoga. little did i know !!

the entire experience from watching am workouts with a cup of dunkin donut coffee to dinner and cocktails with people talking one thing and one thing only, horses is an escape from the reality of the world today. it seems to rise above the politics and problems, and bring with it those who choose to participate. its a shame it cant last longer, but that's what makes it special.

glad you enjoyed it. do come back

Well put. I just got back from spending Travers Week there. I was with my wife and 5YO son so I wasn't doing racing-related things the entire time, but it is a terrific escape with racing the primary backdrop the entire trip. Everywhere you go it is horseracing, and the accessibility to the people in the industry is unmatched. Travers Day itself is fantastic. Just a great week- and I got buried at the windows!