PDA

View Full Version : Setting the Recod Straight

Tom
08-05-2009, 03:03 PM
This was alleged in a recent thread.......
USPS a government run business that works very well.

This was reported today.....

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5irzC2kcTNhcoBX5lcC52Yw6BigmwD99SOT2G2

WASHINGTON — The post office says it lost $2.4 billion from April through June.

That brings the year's losses so far to $4.7 billion. And the Postal Service expects to be $7 billion in the red when the fiscal year ends Sept. 30.

So now we know the Rest of the Story! :rolleyes:

Medicare if broke.
Medicade is broke.
SS is broke.
Cash for Clunkers is broke.
the Post office is broke.
We are printing money like it was confetti.
Amtrak is broke.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/02/AR2005120201703.html

Amtrak, a theoretically for-profit enterprise that has never managed to wean itself from government subsidies, has been running annual operating losses of $500 million; it's received almost $30 billion in federal subsidies since its creation in 1971.

But they will take over HC, add 50 million people and 0 doctors or nurses and suddenly cut costs, improve service, cure the sick, raise the dead, whiten our teeth, cut the deficit........I have one question for you Obama supporters....... "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SMOKING??????" :lol::lol::lol:

lsbets
08-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Tom be nice. Its run just as well as every other government entity.

Tom
08-05-2009, 04:14 PM
You begin to understand my new avatar......:bang:

ArlJim78
08-05-2009, 04:15 PM
that thread was locked before i could reply to the hilarious comment about the post office. I'm glad it came up again, because one thing we know for sure is that the post office is not the same as a well run business. if it were in the private sector it would have long ago went into bankruptcy. it may be one of the better run government agencies, but that is not saying much.

NJ Stinks
08-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Medicare if broke.
Medicade is broke.
SS is broke.
Cash for Clunkers is broke.
the Post office is broke.
We are printing money like it was confetti.
Amtrak is broke.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/02/AR2005120201703.html

There's only one solution. MORE TAX CUTS!!! :lol:

prospector
08-05-2009, 06:48 PM
There's only one solution. MORE TAX CUTS!!! :lol:
Finally, you get it..

mostpost
08-05-2009, 07:11 PM
I think that may have been my comment. I was referring to day to day operations. Mail is delivered on time and accurately in over 99% of cases. The cost is reasonable. More reasonable than in almost every other country.
In the office where I worked, customer concerns and complainr were taken seriously and addressed with respect. I'm sure that was the case in all offices, because we were continously monitored by "Secret Shoppers" and surprise visits from the Sectional Center.

As for the financial problems, they are and will be very difficult to solve.
There are a number of reasons for these problems.
First, this thing we're sitting in front of; People communicate via the computer nowadys, they pay their bills, they send e-cards, they order merchandise.

A second major problem is retirement funding. Now I must admit I don't fully understand this, and the problem is being (has been?) solved. Previous to a recent change in the law, the Postal Service was forced to fund it's retirement account at a rate much higher than needed to fulfill its obligations.
So this is having an effect.

The third factor is rates for bulk mail. The Postal Service discounts rates for mailers who mail large amounts. This is fine, except the rates are lower, much lower, than what it costs USPS to process the mail.

To summarize; in performing the task entrusted to it USPS performs very well. I'm talking about carriers, clerks, truck drivers, maintainance people, union members; mostly democrats.

In financial matters; management, probably Republicans NOT SO Much

cj's dad
08-05-2009, 07:22 PM
So, if the USPS finds a way to be efficient there will be many layoffs.

Sounds like the forthcoming agenda for those now employed in health care.

Tom
08-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Point is, the frigging PO is losing money hand over foot.
Your government in action. You know, the one that is going to rise from all those failures and suddenly cut costs. :lol::lol:

dartman51
08-05-2009, 10:10 PM
I think that may have been my comment. I was referring to day to day operations. Mail is delivered on time and accurately in over 99% of cases. The cost is reasonable. More reasonable than in almost every other country.
In the office where I worked, customer concerns and complainr were taken seriously and addressed with respect. I'm sure that was the case in all offices, because we were continously monitored by "Secret Shoppers" and surprise visits from the Sectional Center.

First, this thing we're sitting in front of; People communicate via the computer nowadys, they pay their bills, they send e-cards, they order merchandise.

A second major problem is retirement funding. Now I must admit I don't fully understand this, and the problem is being (has been?) solved. Previous to a recent change in the law, the Postal Service was forced to fund it's retirement account at a rate much higher than needed to fulfill its obligations.

The third factor is rates for bulk mail. The Postal Service discounts rates for mailers who mail large amounts. This is fine, except the rates are lower, much lower, than what it costs USPS to process the mail.

To summarize; in performing the task entrusted to it USPS performs very well. I'm talking about carriers, clerks, truck drivers, maintainance people,
union members; mostly democrats.

union, That pretty much explains it. :bang:

mostpost
08-05-2009, 10:25 PM
union, That pretty much explains it. :bang:
Permit me to explain so even you understand me.
In the United States Postal Service, things that are done well, things like delivery of the mail, customer service, security of the mail are done by union members. Now I understand that you and your ilk have a phobia against unions, but like most of your other phobias that phobia is based on prejudice not reality.

On the other hand, we have financial and administrative matters. These are handled by management, or should I say mishandled. I really don't know how many members of postal management are Republicans, but based on how badly they manage, I would guess they all are.

boxcar
08-05-2009, 11:09 PM
In the United States Postal Service, things that are done well, things like delivery of the mail, customer service, security of the mail are done by union members. Now I understand that you and your ilk have a phobia against unions, but like most of your other phobias that phobia is based on prejudice not reality.

On the other hand, we have financial and administrative matters. These are handled by management, or should I say mishandled. I really don't know how many members of postal management are Republicans, but based on how badly they manage, I would guess they all are.

You were doing fine until you reached the last sentence. Then you exposed your own phobia and prejudices. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Boxcar

Tom
08-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Yeah, blame everyone else. Typical union.
Fact is, my mail comes torn and damaged more often than not.....pathetic service. Not at all like UPS or Fex Ex, two very professional delivery outfits, who do not cost taxpayers billions of dollars. :lol:

BenDiesel26
08-06-2009, 12:46 AM

Actually, the Post Office is pretty much managed and run by Congress, which is currently controlled by Democrats. Sorry about that. The post office is not a government agency, but they are exempt from taxes and have exclusive rights to deliver first class mail. The problem is, whenever they want to change something, such as go from a six day delivery week to a five day to save tons of money as they have tried recently, Congress balks because they don't want to make their constituents mad even if it makes sense. God forbid they might lose votes (go take a look at menthol cigarettes and Obama's cigarette bill). They will never be profitable until Congress lets them off the leash and allows them to make their own business decisions.

USPS is just another example of how inept the government is at handling even a small operation. How can you possibly trust them with your health care? Just look at the stimulus, if you believe the administrations claims of "saving or creating" 150,000 jobs, the numbers come out to $446,667/job so far. Incredibly efficient is that Obama.

mostpost
08-06-2009, 12:48 AM
Fact is, my mail comes torn and damaged more often than not.....pathetic service. Not at all like UPS or Fex Ex, two very professional delivery outfits, who do not cost taxpayers billions of dollars. :lol:

I very, very rarely get torn or damaged mail, and I don't think you do either. Like most of your statements that one doesn't pass the sniff test. In other words, it's a fabrication, an untruth, etc.

mostpost
08-06-2009, 01:31 AM
Here is a comparison of the cost to send a ten pound package from my home in Illinois to my sister's vacation condo in Colorado

UPS FEdEX USPS

Next day 84.88 81.47 56.90

second day 55.54 * 20.25**

* the fedex webpage was hard to navigate, but the cost was similar to UPS
** There are cheaper rates if your ten pounds fits into a flat rate box.

As far as letters USPS 44 cents Express mail 17.50
UPS 19.97
Fed Ex 44.57

Here is another problem with UPS and Fedex. If I am not at home and get a delivery from the post office, it's a five minute drive to pick it up. The nearest UPS facility is 45 minutes through city traffic. I don't even know where fedex is.

Finally, here is another thing to add to the long list of things you don't know.
The United States Posta; service does not cost taxpayers billions of dollars, nor millions of dollars, not even hundreds of dollars. All expenses are paid by postage collected. ALL EXPENSES ARE PAID BY POSTAGE COLLECTED, NOT THROUGH TAXES.
:lol: yourself

newtothegame
08-06-2009, 01:46 AM
Here is a comparison of the cost to send a ten pound package from my home in Illinois to my sister's vacation condo in Colorado

UPS FEdEX USPS

Next day 84.88 81.47 56.90

second day 55.54 * 20.25**

* the fedex webpage was hard to navigate, but the cost was similar to UPS
** There are cheaper rates if your ten pounds fits into a flat rate box.

As far as letters USPS 44 cents Express mail 17.50
UPS 19.97
Fed Ex 44.57

Here is another problem with UPS and Fedex. If I am not at home and get a delivery from the post office, it's a five minute drive to pick it up. The nearest UPS facility is 45 minutes through city traffic. I don't even know where fedex is.

Finally, here is another thing to add to the long list of things you don't know.
The United States Posta; service does not cost taxpayers billions of dollars, nor millions of dollars, not even hundreds of dollars. All expenses are paid by postage collected. ALL EXPENSES ARE PAID BY POSTAGE COLLECTED, NOT THROUGH TAXES.

Well most, this I know to be fact...you talk about YOUR facts (and arent your retired or somehow affiliated with the usps?) and I would say they are biased. I am in NO way affiliated noe ever was with usps. But, a good friend of mine is. he is a postal delivery guy. I am not sure of his exact pay....but he has told me he makes upwards of 25 per hour to deliver the mail. Yep UNION. I know for a FACT there are things that NEVER makes it to a some residences. Those (junk mailers usually coupons) , well lets just say he has all his household can handle. Secondly, he, along with alot of co-workers call in about 20% of their scheduled time. Isnt this allowed in the UNION???? Therefore, I wonder how many extra workers are employed due to this HIGH call in rate??
I also know for a fact, he only works about HALF of his scheduled time, yet gets paid for the FULL time. I know him to go to some areas and SLEEP when he should be working.
My point is, you have your facts...then there are other facts. I can't say how you worked...only the people in the USPS that I personally know!!!

mostpost
08-06-2009, 02:59 AM
Well most, this I know to be fact...you talk about YOUR facts (and arent your retired or somehow affiliated with the usps?) and I would say they are biased. I am in NO way affiliated noe ever was with usps. But, a good friend of mine is. he is a postal delivery guy. I am not sure of his exact pay....but he has told me he makes upwards of 25 per hour to deliver the mail. Yep UNION. I know for a FACT there are things that NEVER makes it to a some residences. Those (junk mailers usually coupons) , well lets just say he has all his household can handle. Secondly, he, along with alot of co-workers call in about 20% of their scheduled time. Isnt this allowed in the UNION???? Therefore, I wonder how many extra workers are employed due to this HIGH call in rate??
I also know for a fact, he only works about HALF of his scheduled time, yet gets paid for the FULL time. I know him to go to some areas and SLEEP when he should be working.
My point is, you have your facts...then there are other facts. I can't say how you worked...only the people in the USPS that I personally know!!!
I would guess that your friend is a long time Postal employee. I found this website,
http://php.app.com/usps/search.php
If you enter your local zip code you can find the salaries of all employees at your local office.

As far as the coupons, a really quickway to get fired is to not deliver the mail. And the union is not going to help you very much. However, there are a couple of things. Sometimes things come in with bad addresses (streets and house numbers that don't exist. If these are bulk rate (what you call junk) and if they do not have an endorsement to return to sender, thay are supposed to be thrown out. The same would apply to pieces which have no address, or to pieces which are addressed to a person who has moved, (Bulk mail does not normally get forwarded.) As I said this mail is supposed to be thrown out, but some of it may find its way to a carriers home. Is this right? Probably not. But it was going to be thrown out anyway, and all the customers received theirs. My opinion, not that of USPS.

Now, I find it hard to accept your claim that workers in the Post Office call in 20% of the time. That's one day per week. Postal workers receive 13 sick days per year. At the rate you are speaking of they would be taking 37 unpaid days. The days do accumulate, however excessive absense can lead to one being placed on restricted sick leave. This means that you must provide a doctor's note before returning to work. This usually occurs after you have used six or seven days of sick leave in the early part of a calendar year, or if you have a repetitive pattern such as always calling in on a friday. And after a while, even a doctor's note isn't enough. The Union can help, but only for a time. Another thing is if a worker abuses his sick leave privileges, the other workers quickly get tired of covering for him and they let the union rep know about it.

As far as your friend working half days is concerned. I am assuming he is a long time carrier with a route that he has been on a long time. He knows all the tricks and all the shortcuts and is thus able to finsh a route in three or four hours that it would take someone else six or eight hours to finish. (I suspect you may be unintentionally shading things and he typically finishes in five or six hours. Anyway, we had fast carriers like that where I worked and they would have their little hiding places, but if we were short handed and an open route needed to be covered they would come back to the office and help out.

newtothegame
08-06-2009, 04:58 AM
I would guess that your friend is a long time Postal employee. I found this website,
http://php.app.com/usps/search.php
If you enter your local zip code you can find the salaries of all employees at your local office.

As far as the coupons, a really quickway to get fired is to not deliver the mail. And the union is not going to help you very much. However, there are a couple of things. Sometimes things come in with bad addresses (streets and house numbers that don't exist. If these are bulk rate (what you call junk) and if they do not have an endorsement to return to sender, thay are supposed to be thrown out. The same would apply to pieces which have no address, or to pieces which are addressed to a person who has moved, (Bulk mail does not normally get forwarded.) As I said this mail is supposed to be thrown out, but some of it may find its way to a carriers home. Is this right? Probably not. But it was going to be thrown out anyway, and all the customers received theirs. My opinion, not that of USPS.

Now, I find it hard to accept your claim that workers in the Post Office call in 20% of the time. That's one day per week. Postal workers receive 13 sick days per year. At the rate you are speaking of they would be taking 37 unpaid days. The days do accumulate, however excessive absense can lead to one being placed on restricted sick leave. This means that you must provide a doctor's note before returning to work. This usually occurs after you have used six or seven days of sick leave in the early part of a calendar year, or if you have a repetitive pattern such as always calling in on a friday. And after a while, even a doctor's note isn't enough. The Union can help, but only for a time. Another thing is if a worker abuses his sick leave privileges, the other workers quickly get tired of covering for him and they let the union rep know about it.

As far as your friend working half days is concerned. I am assuming he is a long time carrier with a route that he has been on a long time. He knows all the tricks and all the shortcuts and is thus able to finsh a route in three or four hours that it would take someone else six or eight hours to finish. (I suspect you may be unintentionally shading things and he typically finishes in five or six hours. Anyway, we had fast carriers like that where I worked and they would have their little hiding places, but if we were short handed and an open route needed to be covered they would come back to the office and help out.

yep, his pay is right....he makes in excess of 50,000 per yr. (based on the site you provided).
As for his tenure, he has more then ten years. So, based on that, I would have to assume that he knows his route well. And can he finish it with time to spare? Well, again the obvious answer is yes. My question to him has been, and to you is why not return and either help out another carrier or return the remainder of your time in by punching out??? Being a previous UNION employee, I can only tell you my experiences... We were DISCOURAGED by the union to work quickly. In the UNIONS eyes, this would cause jobs to be "lost". It was a never ending fight with the UNION versus the Employer. I also am very aware that its is EXTREMELY difficult to be fired permanently from a UNION job. Union employees use this to their advantage.
As to the thirteen days a year that you mentioned, I would have to say that I am not sure what the contracts read. It may be that you are right. But I can tell you that the guy I am referring to is well onto twenty PLUS days a year.
If you add up the "lost" time he calls out, and the time (that in my opinion) he steals...well its outrageous.
As to the "junk" mail...I am not sure if its bulk rate or not. Forgive my lack of knowledge here. but I do know it would fit what you are saying as most of this mail is deemed to go to housing complexes or is addresses to "current resident". Either way, I know its not going in the garbage or to the "current resident". I am just amazed Winn Dixie isn't tired of seeing this postal employee with so many coupons lol.

lsbets
08-06-2009, 06:37 AM

Here is a question for you. The USPS website says none of its operational budget comes from the taxpayer. Yet the post office is losing billions of dollars per year, and has been for a while. Where does the money come to cover that shortfall? Other than the operational budget, are there other areas of the USPS funded by taxpayers (which would in effect be funding operations because it lets accounting tricks divert money away from other areas). Any real business would have filed bankruptcy a long time ago unless they had a source of cash to cover the shortfall. How does the USPS cover billions in losses?

Also, you talk about how great the business model is at the USPS. Do you see the major problem with it? A business model that loses billions of dollars, no matter how efficient it might be otherwise, is a badly flawed and broken model.

Tom
08-06-2009, 07:36 AM

Well excuuuuuuse me!
You leave out the fact that the PO pays no taxes and loses billions of dollars.
One would HOPE you could do it cheaper when you are immune to profits!
Try competing on a level playing field and see how good you do. :lol::lol::lol:

jonnielu
08-06-2009, 07:46 AM
So, if the USPS finds a way to be efficient there will be many layoffs.

Sounds like the forthcoming agenda for those now employed in health care.

The idea is to get all of the average middle class people out of those jobs and replace them with Mexicans.

jdl

ddog
08-06-2009, 12:08 PM

THESE WERE AND ARE A JOKE. THE PEOPLE DOING THE MONITORING HAVE A BUILT IN BIAS TO NOT BLOW UP THE CENTERS UNDER THEM LEST THEY BE TAKEN OUT AS WELL. IT IS NOT UNCOMMON TO SEE MORE P.O. PEOPLE STANDING AROUND NO MATTER THE LINES AT THE COUNTER THAN WORKING SINCE THEY ARE ON A BREAK OR LUNCH OR REST PERIOD OR JUST LAZY BUMS.

SO WITH THE DROP OFF IN REGULAR MAIL - THERE REALLY IS NO REASON NOT TO CLOSE A TON OF THE OFFICES AROUND THE COUNTRY THAT EXIST NOW ONLY BECAUSE THEY WERE SETUP BACK IN THE HORSE AND BUGGY DAYS. THEY SHOULD GET ON WITH THAT.
YOU ARGUE ABOUT PRIVATE CONCERNS NOT HAVING AN OFFICE ON EVERY CORNER, YEP, I WONDER COULD IT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH COST CONTROLS.

THE P.O. WHile NOT ALONE IN THIS PRACTICE WAS NOT AND IS NOT FUNDING THEIR PLANS AT MORE THAN REQUIRED- THEY ARE IN FACT AT LESS THAN REQUIRED AND WILL LIKELY NEED GVT BAIL OUT OR BENEFIT CUTS.

IT COSTS MUCH LESS TO PROCESS BULK MAIL AS WELL- THIS IS SUBSIDIZED BY THE PRIVATE RATES. THE P.O. FOUGHT TOOTH AND NAIL TO MAINTAIN THIS BIZ AT ANY COST.

To summarize; in performing the task entrusted to it USPS performs very well. I'm talking about carriers, clerks, truck drivers, maintainance people, union members; mostly democrats.

To summarize, they should be phased out and sooner the better as just like insolvent banks, the sooner you close them up the less you lose.
The times have changed and they are as relevant as blacksmiths to the avg joe.

mostpost
08-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Here is a question for you. The USPS website says none of its operational budget comes from the taxpayer. Yet the post office is losing billions of dollars per year, and has been for a while. Where does the money come to cover that shortfall? Other than the operational budget, are there other areas of the USPS funded by taxpayers (which would in effect be funding operations because it lets accounting tricks divert money away from other areas). Any real business would have filed bankruptcy a long time ago unless they had a source of cash to cover the shortfall. How does the USPS cover billions in losses?

Also, you talk about how great the business model is at the USPS. Do you see the major problem with it? A business model that loses billions of dollars, no matter how efficient it might be otherwise, is a badly flawed and broken model.
I don't really know the answer to your question. The USPS does receive a subsidy to cover the difference between what it charges to deliver non-profit and government mail and what that service costs USPS. But, IMO that is really a subsidy to those two groups of mailers. Also, the amount of that subsidy (estimated between 37 and 117 million annually) is small compared to the deficits.
I would guess that they have to borrow from the federal government to recoup their losses.

I think the deficits are the result less of inefficiency in postal operations and more in changing times and habits.

What can USPS do to resolve this probem.
Eliminating Saturday delivery would certainly help. In the office where I worked we had 15 Routes. Each group of five carriers had what is called a T6.
A T6 is a carrier who substituted on whichever carrier was off that day. So eliminating Saturday delivery would eliminate one of every six carriers.
I do not think it's fair to tell someone who has worked for an organiztion 20 or 25 years, "Hey, tough luck you're out of a job", so I think there should be elimination through attrition, for those with seniority.
There is another thing USPS might do to reduce costs. There is a need to cover vacation time and sick days. However, there are many weeks when there are no carriers on vacation and many days when there are no carriers on sick leave ia particular office. (Despite what you may have heard). So you could have a situation in which one office has people looking for work, while in another office they are struggling to cover all their routes.
My idea would be to have offices staffed by their regular full time carriers, but to have a seperate pool of carriers who would be assigned to work in several offices in a given area. They would be used to fill in at vacation times and if someone called in sick.

Lastly, many years ago an arbitrater granted postal employees immunity from layoffs. This is a policy which may have to be looked at.

lsbets
08-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Another thing most - and this is a major problem with government endeavors where profit (or breaking even) doesn't matter - the USPS does not charge nearly enough. As a business owner in a competitive market, I love the priority mail packaging. I get a free box, and for most of my deliveries my cost is less than half what it would be to ship with Fedex or UPS. Its great for my customers, it lets me offer free shipping on a pretty low order minimum. But the USPS is bleeding money. Their rates are simply too low. If they had to compete on a level playing field with private companies, they would be out of business. The flat rate is okay, but the regular priority rate is way too low. I've found for anything up to 3 pounds its cheaper to send it weight based almost everywhere in the country (from my location). The weight based rates are close to what I was paying Fedex 4 years ago.

I am really curious how the deficits are covered. If they are getting loans from the government, that would be the government subsidizing operations. I have no idea if that is the case, but they are doing something to stay alive.

mostpost
08-06-2009, 12:50 PM
THESE WERE AND ARE A JOKE. THE PEOPLE DOING THE MONITORING HAVE A BUILT IN BIAS TO NOT BLOW UP THE CENTERS UNDER THEM LEST THEY BE TAKEN OUT AS WELL. IT IS NOT UNCOMMON TO SEE MORE P.O. PEOPLE STANDING AROUND NO MATTER THE LINES AT THE COUNTER THAN WORKING SINCE THEY ARE ON A BREAK OR LUNCH OR REST PERIOD OR JUST LAZY BUMS.
Not all people working at the Post Office are qualified window clerks. So many of those people you see could not help out even if they wanted to.

I was both a window clerk and a clek who worked in the back throwing mail.
Ours was a small office and we only had one window clerk working the window at a time. We were instructed that if we were beginning to get a line. (four or five people) we were to call for help and another window clerk would come up to assist.
Two problems with this; lines build very quickly. you can go from no line to ten or more people in less than two minutes. Second, there are not always window clerks available. You can't keep people around beyond their normal hours just in case they MIGHT be needed. Or they might be present , but unable to help.
I was at various times a dispatch clerk and a relief window clerk. There were times when I could suspend my dispatch duties and help at the window. There were other times (When a truck needed to be loaded or unloaded; when a customer came in with a bulk mailing) that I could not.

mostpost
08-06-2009, 12:52 PM
SO WITH THE DROP OFF IN REGULAR MAIL - THERE REALLY IS NO REASON NOT TO CLOSE A TON OF THE OFFICES AROUND THE COUNTRY THAT EXIST NOW ONLY BECAUSE THEY WERE SETUP BACK IN THE HORSE AND BUGGY DAYS. THEY SHOULD GET ON WITH THAT.
YOU ARGUE ABOUT PRIVATE CONCERNS NOT HAVING AN OFFICE ON EVERY CORNER, YEP, I WONDER COULD IT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH COST CONTROLS.
Consolidation of offices is indeed on the agenda

ddog
08-06-2009, 01:20 PM
m'post

I do feel for your guys and gals, but the facts are just the facts, at least as we know them now.

The P.O. is based on 5-6 day delivery of stuff.

The costs of that are going up- the cost of fuel i suspect is going up as well.

The attitude that daily mail is needed to everywhere is not consistent with the changes in the mode of communication available today.

The costs of the health care funding are going UP for the P.O. just as for everyone else.

Congress "runs" the thing, we know what they will do ... they will try to kick the can down the road - mismanage and bungle their way to a disaster just as with Fan/Fre and the other political spoils they have presided over.

Even with Potter's proposed "funding changes" , really a sham as a I see them laid out last month, the P.O. is still going to be way way in the hole.

They have burned through their cash reserves and there is no way to refill those without some "help" from Congress.

The only way I could support them staying around would be if they start charging what it costs to support the service and if the delivery was cut back to 2-3 days a week.

At this point I think we are getting down to , if that was done, could they still provide the function they were tasked with in the old days.

I think, not.

The retirement and HC stuff is going to break them without massive rate increase and they can't raise those enough , fast enough to make up the drop in usage, that will increase with the rise in rates.

They are done for without gvt subs and I don't want to go there.

Tom
08-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Bump.

USPS a government run business that works very well.

some days, it just falls into place. Like yesterday.........:lol::lol:
Here is a quote from Obama made yesterday at his Health Care Townhall meeting: I think private insurers should be able to compete. They do it all the time. I mean, if you think about, if you think about it, um, UPS and FedEx are doing just fine. Right? The, uh, no they are. I mean, it's the post office that's always having problems.

Hear it right from the teleprompter's screen!

5XTi-WdOu2s

mostpost
08-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Bump.

some days, it just falls into place. Like yesterday.........:lol::lol:
Here is a quote from Obama made yesterday at his Health Care Townhall meeting: I think private insurers should be able to compete. They do it all the time. I mean, if you think about, if you think about it, um, UPS and FedEx are doing just fine. Right? The, uh, no they are. I mean, it's the post office that's always having problems.

Hear it right from the teleprompter's screen!

5XTi-WdOu2s

Haven't you told us many times that Obama lies. Apparently you've changed your mind. That means everything Obama says, including everything he says about health care, is true. Glad you finally got it.

Lefty
08-12-2009, 05:13 PM
mosty, The fact that the USPS does a credible job is not the point. The point is, they are going broke. So why would anyone want the govt to take over our healthcare, when they have made a financial mess of everything else?

jonnielu
08-12-2009, 06:58 PM
mosty, The fact that the USPS does a credible job is not the point. The point is, they are going broke. So why would anyone want the govt to take over our healthcare, when they have made a financial mess of everything else?

Because they still believe in the tooth fairy, something for nothing, and magic beans. You keep sending it, they keep wasting it, who's the idiot?

jdl

ezrabrooks
08-12-2009, 07:04 PM
One of the powers given the Govt per the Constitution (power to establish a postal service).. Sh**t they couldn't even get that one right.

Ez