PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Track Handle Analysis

Track Collector
08-04-2009, 09:09 PM
OK, let's say you are a top level racetrack executive at a synthetic surface track and you really want to know more about the demographics of those who wager at your specific track. Specifically, you have heard a number of players complain about synthetics, and who have supposedly moved much of their business to traditional dirt surface tracks.

Do adequate tools exist today to help you determine with a high confidence level how much of a percentage handle drop at your track is due to those who now play other tracks vs. those who have left for other games like poker, the down economy (where people have less disposable income, etc.?

horses4courses
08-04-2009, 11:02 PM
OK, let's say you are a top level racetrack executive at a synthetic surface track and you really want to know more about the demographics of those who wager at your specific track. Specifically, you have heard a number of players complain about synthetics, and who have supposedly moved much of their business to traditional dirt surface tracks.

Do adequate tools exist today to help you determine with a high confidence level how much of a percentage handle drop at your track is due to those who now play other tracks vs. those who have left for other games like poker, the down economy (where people have less disposable income, etc.?

Fair question.
I would guess no. There would not be a definitive study meeting your needs.

Much of the mentality of racetrack execs regarding horseplayers is governed by a belief that the majority of horseplayers are degenerate gamblers who would bet if the takeout was 2%, or 40%. Any downturn in handle can be blamed on a variety of factors, most recently the down economy.

Old-school types study on-track handle - the birth of simulcasting and internet/phone wagering should have changed their focus.

If you take 20% as the under/over for a favorable horse racing take-out percentage, why would any gambler in their right mind bet money in such circumstances?
Most slot machines in the U.S. are programmed to take out half that amount.

LottaKash
08-04-2009, 11:07 PM
Why not ask the players themselves ?....Too EZ I guess....:rolleyes:

best,

proximity
08-04-2009, 11:19 PM
OK, let's say you are a top level racetrack executive at a synthetic surface track.......

my hunch is that most of these guys are more concerned about par for the ninth hole as opposed to par for the ninth race. i guess i'd start with the basics though and compare my track's handle as a percentage of total racing handle vs what it has been in the years leading up to polytrack installation. i would also check my percentage decline in handle vs the average change in handle for those tracks who still have dirt surfaces. start with the basics and branch out from there.....

kenwoodallpromos
08-05-2009, 01:30 AM
I never heard of a track that really asks patrons anything important. In fact I think thinking by tracks is done on anecdotal and incomplete information, just like the handicapping info dispersed by racing. Winning horse times to handicappers, number of wins by horse in a year for the racing secretary.
How about a report by meet as to average % of capacity filled by live race attendees?