PDA

View Full Version : Ruffian's 8 month break from 2 to 3 yo seasons

Imriledup
08-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Anyone know why she stopped so soon and started so late? If you are starting in mid April, its not feasable that you are going to be able to race in the Ky Oaks in early May.

And, lets keep in mind that an almost 8 month layoff 30 years ago is more 'alarming' than an 8 month layoff in today's game.

WinterTriangle
08-03-2009, 05:04 PM
I believe she had a fractured pastern at some point. Not sure where that fell in her career, so I can't pinpoint without looking it up.

Her first race back from the cracked pastern was the Comely Stakes, which she won by 8 lengths and also broke another stakes record.

I wonder what kind of rehab they had then, compared with today?

Dick Powell
08-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Ruffian was scratched out of the Frizette the morning of the race with a minor fracture. I took the bus to Belmont that day only to get there and see that she was scratched. I think Molly Ballantine won it that day. Was at the match race - worst day ever - and I was at the 1990 Breeders' Cup.

joanied
08-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Ruffian did break a bone (I don't recall which bone) in a hind leg as a 2 year old...I also can't recall, without lookin' it up, how the break occured...lookin' back...that was an omen of things to come...especially as both her parents died due to a broken bone...
Dick Powell...I was there too...over on the backstretch because the Grandstand was impossible to deal with...yes, a very, very bad day.

PS... a little tid bit of trivia...the out rider that had her after the breakdown...Jim Dailey...was Wesley Ward's Grandfather.