PDA

View Full Version : Ron Ellis on TVG

Relwob Owner
08-02-2009, 07:49 PM
TVG seems to take quite a lot of heat on here but I rarely hear people mention much about Ron Ellis. I think he is terrific and combines the knowledge he has from being a trainer with solid betting analysis as well and doesnt seem afraid to tell it like it is. I was curious what others think about him on air.

andymays
08-02-2009, 07:54 PM
TVG seems to take quite a lot of heat on here but I rarely hear people mention much about Ron Ellis. I think he is terrific and combines the knowledge he has from being a trainer with solid betting analysis as well and doesnt seem afraid to tell it like it is. I was curious what others think about him on air.

He's an outstanding analyst and the best TVG has bar none.

Relwob Owner
08-02-2009, 08:05 PM
He's an outstanding analyst and the best TVG has bar none.

I am not as down as some others seem to be on Ken R, but when Ellis is paired with him, it is just so amazingly clear how limited Ken's knowledge is......I think Ron bites his tongue a lot when he is with Ken....

MickJ26
08-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Too bad Ron Ellis also happens to be a terrific trainer, so I'm pretty sure he wouldn't give up his day job. Not only am I impressed with his knowledge of his own horses, I'm even more impressed with his knowledge of other trainer's horses. I'd venture to guess that Ron Ellis' win percentage first off the claim must be very good. If Ellis claims a horse, that'd be a strong angle to play.

andymays
08-02-2009, 08:14 PM
I am not as down as some others seem to be on Ken R, but when Ellis is paired with him, it is just so amazingly clear how limited Ken's knowledge is......I think Ron bites his tongue a lot when he is with Ken....

Ken is fine to move the show along but when he starts asserting himself into the breaking down of a race he misleads a lot of rookie players who may think he knows what he's talking about.

Ellis is definitely a class act and he educates all the viewers with great analysis and commentary!

andymays
08-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Too bad Ron Ellis also happens to be a terrific trainer, so I'm pretty sure he wouldn't give up his day job. Not only am I impressed with his knowledge of his own horses, I'm even more impressed with his knowledge of other trainer's horses. I'd venture to guess that Ron Ellis' win percentage first off the claim must be very good. If Ellis claims a horse, that'd be a strong angle to play.

He's a high percentage Trainer but the knock against him as a Trainer is that he's too carefull in placing his horses and doesn't race them enough. As far as I'm concerned he should do whatever he thinks is best for his barn and the critics be damned!

miesque
08-02-2009, 08:22 PM
I concur that Ron Ellis is a quality additon to the TVG analyst staff and it he does his job in a professional, knowledgeable manner without a bunch of unnecessary fluff, nonsense or attitude.

fmolf
08-02-2009, 08:43 PM
ron ellis is the best tvg has to offer and his insights are tremendously informative!Tom Amoss used to be excellent as well when he was on air as well

Relwob Owner
08-02-2009, 09:42 PM
ron ellis is the best tvg has to offer and his insights are tremendously informative!Tom Amoss used to be excellent as well when he was on air as well

He just hit the late pick 4 for 343...I think it was about a 40 dollar ticket...

BUD
08-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Shoot your right--so right I didn't even think about it--It would be terrible for the game if he cleaned out his stalls and said "thats it"

Whoever brought this up, Kudos. Its always great when we can agree and at the same time say something good about someone.

CBedo
08-02-2009, 10:30 PM
I agree that Ron does a good job, and he often makes a comment about what another trainer might be thinking coming into a race that I wouldn't have thought about that perspective. Anyone who helps me learn is valuable.

On another note, Paul Lo Duca has been a breath of fresh air as well. Right after the Haskell, he was grinning ear to ear, trying to stay professional and contain himself. You could tell he is a true fan, and was ecstatic about what he had just witnessed.

senortout
08-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Today, at Del Mar, Mr. Ellis remarked in the warm-up period that Corey Nakatani had taken his mount away from the lead pony during the warm-up, saying he thought that was a negative, he explained normally they stay with the pony. I even forget why (if he did give a reason) for negativity...I just wasn't paying real attention at the time. Few minutes before post time, the horse was scratched!

Must know something.

Relwob Owner
08-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Today, at Del Mar, Mr. Ellis remarked in the warm-up period that Corey Nakatani had taken his mount away from the lead pony during the warm-up, saying he thought that was a negative, he explained normally they stay with the pony. I even forget why (if he did give a reason) for negativity...I just wasn't paying real attention at the time. Few minutes before post time, the horse was scratched!

Must know something.

I had meant to bring that up....he caught it really early and said it bothered him because it was a sign the jockey didnt like the way the horse was warming up when they did that....what an awesome call by him....he called a first timer(the six, not sure which race) at 19 to 1 who almost won and then held off relentless questions from Ken and Matt about a 9 to 5 shot he recommended singling in the first leg of the P$ who won easy......

Someone else posted about La Duca-I must admit, I was skeptical when he started but he has been really good and definitely his presence as a true fan comes through when he is on air

Bruddah
08-03-2009, 12:55 AM
The original poster said he noticed how TVG gets a lot of "heat" from folks on this board. Yet the posters have been complimentary of those analyst's which have earned their respect, because of knowledgable insights. Could it be the handicappers on this board know whose real and what's B.S. ?

TVG gets what it has earned and deserves. Unfortunately, they have a few talents which are painted, when we use a broad brush in our complaints. TVG would do well to read these threads and heed them.

PaceAdvantage
08-03-2009, 03:02 AM
Ron Ellis and former NY Mets first basemen Keith Hernandez:

Voices separated at birth....:lol:

Relwob Owner
08-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Ron Ellis and former NY Mets first basemen Keith Hernandez:

Voices separated at birth....:lol:

Wow.....I hadnt made the connection but nice call on that one....

rokitman
08-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Ron Ellis :ThmbUp: I like him even more than I do Christina :liar:

Tom
08-03-2009, 10:50 AM
I turn up the volume when he is on!

joanied
08-03-2009, 07:44 PM
I do enjoy the enthusiasm of Paul Lo Duca...as I am an enthusiastic person myself when I see something like RA win the Haskell....he even apologized for being so in awe of her performance...which I found quite endearing...as for Ron Ellis---:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :1: no doubt about it...he's excellent...I've always liked it when they managed to get him for a big race show...and now on TVG...he really is the best...I also really like L Pincay Jr. I have also always admired Ellis as a trainer...I just think he's one of the classiest guys in this sport....and a fount of knowledge:)

TejanoRun
08-03-2009, 08:47 PM
I've always thought trainers Ellis, Lyons, and Amoss were far superior in analysis to everyone else at TVG (though I have liked Rich Perloff, Dave the quarter horse guy, and Jill Byrne). The rest just love to hear themselves talk, as if everyone is rushing to the window when they pontificate.

My knock against Ron Ellis as a trainer is the growing number of horses he has on the CHRB Vet's List for "medication". Is that steroids yet again, and why does the CHRB protect him by NOT giving him a positive? Ellis is bidding to be the next Mike Mitchell/Bobby Hess entity on that list.

Anybody notice that Rail Trip once again has hit the CHRB Vet's List? Rail Trip has been on it for many months, coming off only twice, running well in graded races and then going right back on the list. That smacks of big-time cheating, but everyone gives Ellis the benefit of the doubt because he appears to be a nice guy. The truth should come out.

rokitman
08-03-2009, 11:43 PM
http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/tvg.jpg
Look at what a great interviewer that li'l peach is. It just emanates out of her. You don't even have to hear her.

Stevie Belmont
08-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Ellis used to do the races back on Fox when they had coverage back in the day, early 90's or so. Always did a real good job...

Trainer intent is very importnat for a capper, that gives you an idea on how a horse may run, and if they are just using a race for something bigger and better. Anytime a trainer can give his analysis, thats solid stuff you should take in. They know, been there, done that...
And Ellis knows a thing or two about winning a race...

I agree that Ron does a good job, and he often makes a comment about what another trainer might be thinking coming into a race that I wouldn't have thought about that perspective. Anyone who helps me learn is valuable.

On another note, Paul Lo Duca has been a breath of fresh air as well. Right after the Haskell, he was grinning ear to ear, trying to stay professional and contain himself. You could tell he is a true fan, and was ecstatic about what he had just witnessed.

Relwob Owner
08-09-2009, 08:50 PM
While everyone else is raving about Zenyatta, Ellis is the only one to bring up that Mike Smith gave her too much to do.....he continues to be one of the few on TVG who isnt afraid to tell it like it is....

joanied
08-10-2009, 04:48 PM
I hope that Ellis is one of the group on BC Day(s)... Ellis & Randy Moss :ThmbUp:

Imriledup
08-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Ellis is a very sharp commentator and good horse trainer. Huge ego too.

owlet
08-11-2009, 01:41 PM
"Isn't afraid to tell it like it is."

Yeah I am SURE that guy is saying everything he knows that is going on with the "sport"--all the things the TVG routinely reports on.

bobbyt62
08-13-2009, 03:30 AM
i was mentioning this last week to my (only) live racing buddy. another thing i find interesting about how good he is: he seems to be aware of a lot of horses that aren't in his stable. i've heard him say a mid level claimer outworked so and so. with the relatively high end stable he has, i'm surprised at how much he informs himself on workout reports, etc. i know he claims some, but i don't think a lot.....he's just better than the rest........tejano, terrific info about rail trip , et al on the vet's list, though i'm not familiar with medication being a reason. very few simulcasted tracks publish the vets list on their site, but i look in when i can. so rail trip has been on the vet's list for many days this year, that'ss what you're saying?

rokitman
08-13-2009, 11:28 AM
While everyone else is raving about Zenyatta, Ellis is the only one to bring up that Mike Smith gave her too much to do.....he continues to be one of the few on TVG who isnt afraid to tell it like it is....
Yeah, the fawnfest has gotten a little over the top, to say the least.

InsideThePylons-MW
08-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Ellis just said there is "no skill" to playing/winning the Super Hi-5.

Basically he said it's just a luck bet and can't understand how anybody plays it.

He has now caught the TVG stupidity swamp fever.

bobbyt62
08-17-2009, 05:20 AM
it's obvious to me he's a player, and (likely) a profitable one, but none of us are perfect or think the same way. i think he thinks you can't handicap for fifth, and you just hafta' buy a lot of numbers. i don't think that's how he thinks good bets look. if you are good at evaluating horses and have a good handle on a lot of "backstretch" stuff, his money is probably better spent in other pools. in the context of your assumed results, he's wrong. but maybe in the context of his, he's right.

Stillriledup
04-03-2011, 12:53 AM
Anyone know what happened to Ron Ellis? Does he still work for TVG? Does he still train horses? I havent seen him saddle too many runners in So Cal, i know he has a few, but it seems like he's almost out of the training business.

plainolebill
04-03-2011, 02:06 AM
I don't know where he is. Maybe his falling out with JayEmEss has affected his business.

Ellis is one guy you really have to respect with first timers in MSW no matter what the tote says, he's put across more longshot FTS than any trainer I'm familiar with. Rail Trip was something like 22/1 in his first start and just whomped em'.

v j stauffer
04-03-2011, 03:00 AM
Saw Ron this morning in the stable kitchen at Hollywood Park. Congratulated him on Vision in Gold's graded stakes win. He says he has 28 in training at HP. Good man. Excellent trainer.

Stillriledup
04-03-2011, 03:03 AM
Saw Ron this morning in the stable kitchen at Hollywood Park. Congratulated him on Vision in Gold's graded stakes win. He says he has 28 in training at HP. Good man. Excellent trainer.

TY Vic. He is an excellent trainer, maybe he's gearing up for Hol, no doubt he's going to have a good meet there. He doesnt run all that many, but most of them are ready to win when he does. Vision in Gold is a really nice filly, she might have won her last start if she switched trips with the winner, she was very wide on all the turns. If she comes up the rail, she beats those i believe.

lamboguy
04-03-2011, 07:39 AM
the lack of interest in tvg has more to do with the lack of interest in horseracing than their programming. it looks to me that they are taking the matter into their own hands and trying to gear to a younger audience. if they had cooperation from the game they would have plenty of people watching and betting. the game needs a complete restructure, top to bottom, gearing more to younger folks is great but not the sollution.

Knowclew
04-03-2011, 10:40 AM

I enjoy Ellis on TVG...articulate and pretty candid. Also a pretty good trainer.

That said, isn't he one (of MANY) that represents the ongoing shortage of entries in CA and elsewhere. 28 horses in training at HP....I would be shocked if he started 40 horses at the meet.

I am in no way singling him out...he is far from the main/only culprit. I know the game has changed since I started in the late 70's, but guys with that many stalls were expected to fill the entry box, not get free housing for their animals so they could rack up day money.

owlet
04-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Racking up the day money? Now who would do a thing like that?

JustRalph
04-06-2011, 08:49 PM

now that's eyewitness reporting..... only at PaceAdvantage!

what did he have for breakfast ?

v j stauffer
04-06-2011, 11:57 PM
now that's eyewitness reporting..... only at PaceAdvantage!

what did he have for breakfast ?

A racing form.

picojim
04-07-2011, 01:27 AM
Rail Trip was something like 22/1 in his first start and just whomped em'.

he was actually 2-1 favorite