PDA

View Full Version : significant world wide religion - blood letting requirements

formula_2002
08-02-2009, 08:09 AM
A recent thought on mine.

What significant (those with the greatest number of followers) world wide religion can tell their complete story without requiring some living thing in those stories to spill their blood?

RichieP
08-02-2009, 09:58 AM
If you consider Confucianism a "religion" then that certainly qualifies. He predated Christ by many centuries I believe.

formula_2002
08-02-2009, 10:29 AM
If you consider Confucianism a "religion" then that certainly qualifies. He predated Christ by many centuries I believe.

Interestingly, the question came to mind as I was reading a book about Chinese art and history, Confucianism included.
For reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confucianism

RichieP
08-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Interestingly, the question came to mind as I was reading a book about Chinese art and history, Confucianism included.

This one will enlighten you further:
http://www.forgottenbooks.org/info/Confucius_The_Great_Learning

boxcar
08-02-2009, 12:39 PM

What significant (those with the greatest number of followers) world wide religion can tell their complete story without requiring some living thing in those stories to spill their blood?

As it is written:

Heb 9:22-28
22 And according to the Law, one may almost say, all things are cleansed with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

23 Therefore it was necessary for the copies of the things in the heavens to be cleansed with these, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. 24 For Christ did not enter a holy place made with hands, a mere copy of the true one, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us; 25 nor was it that He should offer Himself often, as the high priest enters the holy place year by year with blood not his own. 26 Otherwise, He would have needed to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now once at the consummation of the ages He has been manifested to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself. 27 And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment, 28 so Christ also, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, shall appear a second time for salvation without reference to sin, to those who eagerly await Him.
NASB

The promised penalty for sin was that the sinner would have to pay the ultimate price -- Death. The shedding of innocent blood,therefore, for the remission of sins is as old as man and sin, and occurred immediately after the Fall. After Adam and Eve sinned, they felt profound shame and the scriptures tell us that they covered their nakedness in an attempt to cover up their shame and guilt; for we are told that they sewed fig leaves together to make loin coverings (Gen 3:7). But those leaves were not suitable "coverings for sin" for later on in the account we read:

Gen 3:20-21
21 And the LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife, and clothed them.
NASB

Very important lessons to be learned in these few words, but suffice it to say that the Lord didn't accept Adam and Eve's vain attempts at providing for their own sin coverings. Instead, God shed the blood of innocent animals and gave them their skins for coverings. The innocent were sacrificed for the guilty. And so, this "scarlet thread of redemption" runs throughout the scriptures, ultimately terminating in Christ who sacrificed himself for his people. But the profound difference with Christ is that he wasn't merely innocent. He was righteous. In him, we have the Righteous giving himself for the Unrighteous. He was the ultimate sacrifice, for he was the sinless one.

Boxcar

formula_2002
08-02-2009, 01:30 PM
22 And according to the Law, one may almost say, all things are cleansed with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no forgiveness

that's a real bummer
I think that's what the Christan Brothers were thinking when I didn't turn in my homework on time.. :)

boxcar
08-02-2009, 02:23 PM
that's a real bummer
I think that's what the Christan Brothers were thinking when I didn't turn in my homework on time.. :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can relate. I attended Catholic schools through 2nd year high. I used to drive the nuns nuts, and sometimes they'd take that out on my poor bottom. :(

But despite all that, I received a great education and was taught, in the end, (bad pun intended) that it was necessary, as a child, to respect and obey my elders and all authorities. My upbringing at home and in school stands in sharp contrast to the virtually discipline-free treatment of children today. Most of today's kids have little or no respect for anyone because it just isn't taught or enforced anymore. Heck...today, a kid isn't emancipated unless he files at least one lawsuit against his parent(s).

Boxcar

ddog
08-03-2009, 11:44 AM
As it is written:

Heb 9:22-28
22 And according to the Law, one may almost say, all things are cleansed with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

23 Therefore it was necessary for the copies of the things in the heavens to be cleansed with these, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. 24 For Christ did not enter a holy place made with hands, a mere copy of the true one, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us; 25 nor was it that He should offer Himself often, as the high priest enters the holy place year by year with blood not his own. 26 Otherwise, He would have needed to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now once at the consummation of the ages He has been manifested to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself. 27 And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment, 28 so Christ also, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, shall appear a second time for salvation without reference to sin, to those who eagerly await Him.
NASB

The promised penalty for sin was that the sinner would have to pay the ultimate price -- Death. The shedding of innocent blood,therefore, for the remission of sins is as old as man and sin, and occurred immediately after the Fall. After Adam and Eve sinned, they felt profound shame and the scriptures tell us that they covered their nakedness in an attempt to cover up their shame and guilt; for we are told that they sewed fig leaves together to make loin coverings (Gen 3:7). But those leaves were not suitable "coverings for sin" for later on in the account we read:

Gen 3:20-21
21 And the LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife, and clothed them.
NASB

Very important lessons to be learned in these few words, but suffice it to say that the Lord didn't accept Adam and Eve's vain attempts at providing for their own sin coverings. Instead, God shed the blood of innocent animals and gave them their skins for coverings. The innocent were sacrificed for the guilty. And so, this "scarlet thread of redemption" runs throughout the scriptures, ultimately terminating in Christ who sacrificed himself for his people. But the profound difference with Christ is that he wasn't merely innocent. He was righteous. In him, we have the Righteous giving himself for the Unrighteous. He was the ultimate sacrifice, for he was the sinless one.

Boxcar

innocent animals????

of what exactly????

boxcar
08-03-2009, 12:37 PM
innocent animals????

of what exactly????

Keep thinking about it. You're getting warm.

Boxcar

formula_2002
08-03-2009, 01:17 PM
innocent animals????

of what exactly????

Instead, God shed the blood of innocent animals and gave them their skins for coverings. The innocent were sacrificed for the guilty

He just cann't get away from this stuff.
There is also the bit about Vengence is his.

I'm looking for a kinder, gentler god, one thats not carrying a grudge.
If I cann't find one, I'll just make one up. ;)

boxcar
08-03-2009, 02:03 PM

If I cann't find one, I'll just make one up. ;)

You'll never find him when you cannot see your own sinfulness, guilt and your worthiness of his judgment first. You must see yourself as he sees you.

Boxcar

plainolebill
08-03-2009, 06:52 PM

Buddhism

hcap
08-04-2009, 05:49 AM

If I cann't find one, I'll just make one up. ;)Try this before you go off on your own.

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

"The central belief is that there is an invisible and undetectable Flying Spaghetti Monster, who created the entire universe "after drinking heavily."[15] The Monster's intoxication was supposedly the cause for a flawed Earth. All "evidence" for evolution was planted by the Flying Spaghetti Monster, in an effort to test Pastafarians' faith — a form of the Omphalos hypothesis. When scientific measurements, such as radiocarbon dating, are made, the Flying Spaghetti Monster "is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6e/Touched_by_His_Noodly_Appendage.jpg/384px-Touched_by_His_Noodly_Appendage.jpg

formula_2002
08-04-2009, 06:11 AM
Try this before you go off on your own.

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Monster!!??

Appears the creator of this church can not shake off his own religious upbringing.

No, my god is not going to be a monster. :rolleyes:

hcap
08-04-2009, 06:23 AM
From Wiki...

"It was created in 2005 by Bobby Henderson as a satirical protest to the decision by the Kansas State Board of Education to require the teaching of intelligent design as an alternative to biological evolution in public schools. Since the intelligent design movement used ambiguous references to an unspecified "Intelligent Designer" to avoid court rulings prohibiting the teaching of creationism as a science, this presumably left open the possibility that any imaginable thing could fill that role"

The founders own religious upbringing probably shaped the absurdity of flying pasta. I wonder if the Kansas State Board of Education got it?