PDA

View Full Version : Question about LA Downs HPWS Qualifier on Youbet.com

Bill Cullen
07-31-2009, 04:39 PM
If anyone could help me out, I have a question about the LA Downs HPWS Qualifier tomorrow on Youbet.com:

You have to make at least five $10 win-place bets in five different races at LA Downs tomorrow, but there's no limit to the number of additional $10 win-place bets you can make. You can make multiple $10 win-place bets in any given race as well as multiple bets on the same horse/entry in a race.

Obviously a contest structured like this would favor the guys with the much bigger bankrolls. Is there any reasonable chance that someone who bets the minimum ($100 - 5 separate $10 win-place bets) can win a contest like this?

The winner is the one person with the highest ROI.

Is anyone familiar with what the typical winning ROI might be for a contest structured like this one?

Many thanks to anyone who has any ideas...

Bill C

pktruckdriver
07-31-2009, 07:57 PM
If anyone could help me out, I have a question about the LA Downs HPWS Qualifier tomorrow on Youbet.com:

You have to make at least five $10 win-place bets in five different races at LA Downs tomorrow, but there's no limit to the number of additional $10 win-place bets you can make. You can make multiple $10 win-place bets in any given race as well as multiple bets on the same horse/entry in a race.

Obviously a contest structured like this would favor the guys with the much bigger bankrolls. Is there any reasonable chance that someone who bets the minimum ($100 - 5 separate $10 win-place bets) can win a contest like this?

The winner is the one person with the highest ROI.

Is anyone familiar with what the typical winning ROI might be for a contest structured like this one?

Many thanks to anyone who has any ideas...

Bill C

Good question Bill, too bad no one has gotten back to you as I have been waiting for the answer too. I was hoping to look into that one, but needed better explanation, as I too interpreted it as you did, unlimited re-buys basically, but ROI does play into it, so maybe a 100 player does have a chance if he is good enough.

I did this earlier this year with them at EVD in their pick 4 tourney, but used only the .50 bet, and bet no more than 8.00 each Friday Nite, and was within the top 5 the entire contest, except, they only paid out to the 1st place winner, so hopefully someone will explain it better to us...

patrick

Bill Cullen
07-31-2009, 11:31 PM
...but ROI does play into it, so maybe a 100 player does have a chance if he is good enough.

patrick

Patrick,

Thanks for your response.

Obviously, in just a 5-race conest, everybody has a chance, so perhaps my question was more rhetorical than I realized when I first posed it.

Doing some further research, I see that a similarly-structured contest was done last week through youbet.com for the Canterbury Claiming Crown day.
The winning ROI for that contest was approx +180%. Looking at the race results for that day, I see there was a 10/1 winner, 7/1 winner, a couple of 4/1's, etc.

Upon further reflection, I realize that big money probably wouldn't be too motivated to chase a $1,000 top prize plus entry in a contest which has a buy-in price of $1,000 as well. Why bet $500 in bets to ultimatley get a 4/1 return? If I could afford it myself, I'd skip the first contest and just buy-in for the second contest for a grand.

What unhinges any of the above logic is ego. Winning a contest and saying one has been "paid" to go to Vegas to compete in a another bigger contest has a big psychological boost to it.

One's vanity is a very hard thing to handicap.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Best,

Bill C