PDA

View Full Version : RACE ANNOUNCER JACK E. LEE PASSES

botster
07-31-2009, 01:06 PM
The U.S.T.A. website has confirmed the passing of the great race announcer Jack E. Lee at his Florida home he was 73.

LottaKash
07-31-2009, 01:28 PM
The U.S.T.A. website has confirmed the passing of the great race announcer Jack E. Lee at his Florida home he was 73.

I remember Jack Lee, the "voice" of Yonkers and Roosevelt Raceways in their "heyday".....Always gave a good and enthusiastic call at those tracks.....He coined the phrase, on the trailer of a race...."and so and so can see em all"....or "so and so, has the best view of the race"....

I miss those days of "wall to wall people" and lots of "excitement" for the buck....:jump: Goodby Jack...:(

best,

harcapper
07-31-2009, 01:43 PM
I remember Jack Lee, the "voice" of Yonkers and Roosevelt Raceways in their "heyday".....Always gave a good and enthusiastic call at those tracks.....He coined the phrase, on the trailer of a race...."and so and so can see em all"....or "so and so, has the best view of the race"....

I miss those days of "wall to wall people" and lots of "excitement" for the buck....:jump: Goodby Jack...:(

best,

Kash,

If you are referring to the 80's Bob Meyer was the caller at Yonkers but Jack called em at Roosevelt. I watched WOR TV every weekend for racing from NY. The good old days.

Har

wilderness
07-31-2009, 02:16 PM
Jack had been selling some race video's on ebay for quite a while.

There may be some of his calls on YouTube.

LottaKash
08-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Kash,

If you are referring to the 80's Bob Meyer was the caller at Yonkers but Jack called em at Roosevelt. I watched WOR TV every weekend for racing from NY. The good old days.

Har

Yes Harcapper, but Jack Lee did do duty there, until Bob Meyer took over, I think.....Before Bob Meyer, Marty Glickman of Knicks announcing, did the calls at Yonkers...In any event all good callers, imo...I miss those days..

best,

arno
08-01-2009, 06:42 AM
I remember Jack calling a race at Freehold.

"It's Pride's Pomp by 75 at the 3/4"'s.

Horse was driven by Sol Josloff.
He won by a measured length and a half.

Pacingguy
08-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Jack was one of the great ones. May he rest in peace. Yes, there are some of his races on You Tube. Just look for the Roosevelt International, Challenge Cup and American Pacing Championship. You will even see a race with Tarport Hap in it.

SansuiSC
08-02-2009, 05:42 PM
I spent quite a bit of time in the booth with Jack when he called races at the old RR. (tough walking the planks to get there) I was a friend of his daughter Laura many years ago who a horse was later named for her. "Laura Lee"
He was a true gentleman and always professional. After the announcing of some races, he felt bad for some of the runner ups because he knew the owners.
Words can not describe what a good man he was both on and off track.

God bless him and his family.

Canarsie
08-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Condolences and deepest sympathies to the Lee family and friends.

Jack E. Lee was synonymous with the glory days of harness racing I remember waiting just to get into RR the traffic was always jammed on the Meadowbrook Parkway on a weekend night.

RIP Jack you are missed.

pandy
08-02-2009, 10:06 PM
I wrote a column about Jack E Lee for the defunct Racing Times, he loved it and had a copy of it on the wall on the announcer's booth. He had a great voice and was one of the all-time great announcers. His dad, Mike Lee, used to be the sports editor for the defunct Long Island Press and was very well liked.