PDA

View Full Version : TDF 2009

DJofSD
07-26-2009, 11:50 AM
An amazing finish and stage win by Cavendish.

Congrats to Lance and getting a spot on the podium.

I think the most awesome thing was the estimated 500,000 people lining the last 20 KM of the stage up Mount Ventoux.

cj
07-26-2009, 11:53 AM
I really, really missed going to see the finale of Le Tour the last few years. I plan to go back next year to see Lance again, and I think he'll be much more competitive provided there are no collar bone breaks to interrupt his training. He certainly showed flashes that he still has a chance.

Contador is very, very impressive though. His win this year was remarkably easy.

DJofSD
07-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Contador is very, very impressive though. His win this year was remarkably easy. And, he got 3rd in the mountain competition!

Too bad levi got hurt. I am looking forward to next years race.

I hope you do go back to see it. How much do you think it will cost to stay in Paris when they celebrate the centenial event?

cj
07-26-2009, 12:07 PM
I would stay with friends in Belgium. It is a cheap train ride from Mons to Paris and only takes about an hour.

It will be interesting to see who Lance can get to join his new team. That alone could decide the winner.

dutchboy
07-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Is there a simple explanation on how they determine the order of finish when there are so many stages?

JBmadera
07-26-2009, 01:01 PM
for the general classification (overall winner) it's the combined time for all 21 stages. so Contador was 85hrs, 48min and Lance was 3rd about 5mins back. for the points jeresey it's the most total points won over the 21 stages, same for the mountains jersey.

jb

JBmadera
07-26-2009, 01:04 PM
here's a link to the final standings:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/96th-tour-de-france-gt/stages/stage-23/results

dutchboy
07-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Weight of a gallon of water or milk is 8.33 pounds

Weight of Lance Armstrongs bike not including the pedals is between 5 and 6 pounds.

PeteKoch
07-27-2009, 01:40 PM
There is a minimum weight requirement of 6.8 kg (14.99 lb). Ultra light road bikes may weigh less than the minimum weight, but are not allowed without adding additional weight to the bicycle to achieve the minimum weight.

I saw an interview with Andy Schleck showing his bike. He said it weighed about 12 lbs. and he had to put weight under his seat to make the minimum.

I try to get out on the road a couple of times a week. I ride a hybrid and I'm nearing my dotage, so 22-25 miles on level ground is a big ride for me. Watching those guys go up Mont Ventoux on a ~10% gradient for about an hour made me weak just watching.

cmoore
07-27-2009, 04:32 PM
I started watching the Tour again knowing Lance was back in it..It's one grueling race..I really don't think there is anything tougher in sports.

Cavendish is one fast sprinter. He won 5 or 6 stages. WOW!!!

I think Lance and Alberto Contador will not be on the same team next year..

PeteKoch
07-27-2009, 05:27 PM
I started watching the Tour again knowing Lance was back in it..It's one grueling race..I really don't think there is anything tougher in sports.

The only events I can think of are Iron Man triathlons. And maybe water polo -- it can't be easy treading water for an hour or more. But tackling Mont Ventoux after 3 or 4 hours on the bike, not to mention the toll of the previous 19 days and 2000 miles or so, looks like torture. These guys are aerobic machines. I rowed a little in my salad days, but a race was 7 or 8 minutes. A five hour day in the Tour has got to be hell on wheels.

The coverage on the Versus network was excellent. Paul Sherwen and Phil Liggett (especially Liggett) were as good as any announcers I have ever heard in any sport.

Never having competed in a bike race nor ridden in a group, I was not aware of the aerodynamics of riding in a pack. I always knew that the guy in front was breaking all the air. What I didn't know was that the guys in mid-pack actually get sucked along, much as in auto racing, and can expend less energy. And the more riders in the group, the stronger the effect.

Versus is also going to air the Tour of Ireland in August. I think you can find the date(s) on www.versus.com (http://www.versus.com/)

cmoore
07-27-2009, 05:43 PM
The only events I can think of are Iron Man triathlons. And maybe water polo -- it can't be easy treading water for an hour or more. But tackling Mont Ventoux after 3 or 4 hours on the bike, not to mention the toll of the previous 19 days and 2000 miles or so, looks like torture. These guys are aerobic machines. I rowed a little in my salad days, but a race was 7 or 8 minutes. A five hour day in the Tour has got to be hell on wheels.

The coverage on the Versus network was excellent. Paul Sherwen and Phil Liggett (especially Liggett) were as good as any announcers I have ever heard in any sport.

Never having competed in a bike race nor ridden in a group, I was not aware of the aerodynamics of riding in a pack. I always knew that the guy in front was breaking all the air. What I didn't know was that the guys in mid-pack actually get sucked along, much as in auto racing, and can expend less energy. And the more riders in the group, the stronger the effect.

Versus is also going to air the Tour of Ireland in August. I think you can find the date(s) on www.versus.com (http://www.versus.com/)

I missed the first few days of the tour..I didn't know what channel it was on. Finally found it on versus..Bob Roll is pretty knowledgeable also along with the other two you mentioned. Next years tour will be the one to watch for sure..With Armstrong and Contador splitting. It will be the young gun who has won it twice already against the old man (38..:D ..) who has won it 7 times. What a competition it will be..Did you notice how high these guys heart rates were up to..They showed one guys heart rate at a constant 175. The highest I ever had my heart rate was 183 and that was for about 20 seconds..LOL..

DJofSD
07-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Half of the fun each race day was the Cadillac Performance review to find out who of the 4 had scored points, what the current standings were and their next picks.

Pace Cap'n
07-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Quite a few years ago I read a feature on the Tour in Sports Illustrated.

What stuck in my mind was the assertion that the winner would be the one with the best metabolism.

They are all fit, and all know how to ride a bike. But not all can process that banana they just gulped at the same rate. And therein lies the difference.

PeteKoch
07-27-2009, 07:48 PM
..Did you notice how high these guys heart rates were up to..They showed one guys heart rate at a constant 175. The highest I ever had my heart rate was 183 and that was for about 20 seconds..LOL..

My resting heart rate is usually in the 50s, but I was thinking that if I ever hit 175, I'm on my way to the ER, if I'm lucky; if I'm not so lucky, just take me directly to the morgue.....

Bubbles
07-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Twitter war brewing between Lance and Contador! Two Lance comments...

Seeing these comments from AC. If I were him I'd drop this drivel and start thanking his team. w/o them, he doesn't win.

A champion is also measured on how much he respect his teammates and opponents. You can win a race on your own not a grand tour

Marlin
07-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Twitter war brewing between Lance and Contador! Two Lance comments...

Seeing these comments from AC. If I were him I'd drop this drivel and start thanking his team. w/o them, he doesn't win.

A champion is also measured on how much he respect his teammates and opponents. You can win a race on your own not a grand tourI love this war. Lance is all about himself. The guy didn't even go to AC's victory party. Yet he is the first person to call foul when a teammate is supposedly not being a teammate. And BTW assuming Contador was on a top tier team, non french or dutch, he wouldn't of needed a team. The only thing he needed was a team for the TTT. I can't wait untill Contador kicks Lance and Radio Shacks ass next year.

LOL. That sounds a bit harsh. However, I feel Alberto has been wronged this entire year. Lance should have worked for him from day 1 or joined another team. Contador is the greatest cyclist in the world. Lance was the greatest in the world.

Marlin
07-27-2009, 11:47 PM
Lance is all about himself.I should probably clarify that this comment refers to Lance on the bike and in the realm of competition. Off the bike he obviously is not all about himself and his foundations success has been great and incredible. I bought the shirt, hat, and wristbands.:)

JBmadera
07-28-2009, 05:34 AM
on the team ride saturday we were about evenly split: half the guys side w/lance and think ac is a selfish punk and the other half think lance is just jealous. i watched every stage and based on what i saw, when it was crunch time in the mnts lance could not follow ac's accelerations, also ac has really up'd his game in the tt.......so, should make for a very, very interesting off season! unless we have a repeat of last years giro (cera):

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/afld-president-suspects-new-drugs-in-peloton

jb

Marlin
07-28-2009, 07:59 PM
on the team ride saturday we were about evenly split: half the guys side w/lance and think ac is a selfish punk and the other half think lance is just jealous. i watched every stage and based on what i saw, when it was crunch time in the mnts lance could not follow ac's accelerations, also ac has really up'd his game in the tt.......so, should make for a very, very interesting off season! unless we have a repeat of last years giro (cera):

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/afld-president-suspects-new-drugs-in-peloton

jbIt's amazing that 1/2 would side with AC. Although a cyclist would have much more knowledge what a team and a grand tour is all about. I've been a cycling nut since 1989 when my friend and I rooted on Lemond while we were in France with his relatives. I watch every stage and every race I can get my hands on. There is no question in my mind that Contador could have put 15 minutes or so into Armstrong if he needed to. I too am ready for next year right NOW!! I would love to see an American team like Garmin go after AC. BTW I pray that CERA doesn't raise its ugly head.

JBmadera
08-01-2009, 04:40 AM
crap!

http://tour-de-france.velonews.com/article/96245/astarloza-tests-positive-for-epo-uci-says

don't know what the answer is. problem seems to be pervasive whether it's football, cycling, track, horse racing, etc and I know we cannot give up but it gets so frustrating.

jb