PDA

View Full Version : Workouts

jeebus1083
07-26-2009, 08:03 AM
Is there a service that rates workouts in NY like Southern California? I've used Handicapper's Report when it was offered on Brisnet, but wasn't totally satisfied. What other options are there out there for NY handicappers?

pandy
07-26-2009, 10:41 AM
I believe handicappers report is the only one that covers NY workouts. As you know, New York workouts are much tougher to gauge than the west coast.

jeebus1083
07-26-2009, 10:52 AM
I believe handicappers report is the only one that covers NY workouts. As you know, New York workouts are much tougher to gauge than the west coast.

Do explain, Pandy. Isn't a workout a workout?

cmoore
07-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Insider Picks and Power plays lists the fastest workouts during that past 7 days based on age and distance. So a 12 for 50 workout listed in the pps could actually be ranked 2 for 40 among 2 year olds for the week..Plus there is a list of key races on these sheets..

lamboguy
07-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Do explain, Pandy. Isn't a workout a workout?you can have 2 horses work against each other, and the slower horse might have had the better work. sometimes the faster one is whipping and driving while the slower one is in hand. if you are going to judge works based on times you have a problem. supposedly the guys writing those reports tell you how good the work was based on their opinion. but understand this those reports only sell for $5 or $10. how much do you really think they are going to tell you for that small amount.

years ago i used to deal with "marty the clocker" in saratoga. i just found out this year that he passed away. he was truly a great clocker. lots of people on this board knew him also.

pandy
07-26-2009, 11:28 AM
New York works are tougher to gauge because you have horses working at various different surfaces under various different weather conditions, for instance, horses work at Aqueduct main or inner, Belmont main or training track, Saratoga main or training track, turf, and the weather changes daily. On the west coast, only a handful of horses use the training track and the conditions are much more consistent.

misscashalot
07-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Is there a service that rates workouts in NY like Southern California? I've used Handicapper's Report when it was offered on Brisnet, but wasn't totally satisfied. What other options are there out there for NY handicappers?

For the past several years I have kept track of every NYRA winning horse by trainer and the last 3 activities (race/work/work, work/work/race etc by distance only, not time, and the number of days btwn such activity). I conclude that raw work data is not as indicative to a horses preparation since most trainers vary in prepping. When is a 3f work a mark of readiness and when is it not? RickDutrow shows readiness in a sprint when he brings in a horse with a 3f work 2 days prior to race, and before that work, he shows a 5f work from 5-7 days prior to that. Automatic bet for me. Schosberg very seldom wins coming off a 3f work, but shows many of them. IF YOU WANT TO USE WORKS AS A BETTING TOOL, KNOW YOUR TRAINER'S MO.