PDA

View Full Version : F.A.S.T-Handifast Wish List

Handiman
07-26-2009, 01:52 AM
Looks like Doug has really got cookin' and added some functionality to Fast. User assigned points now available in his module, which sounds very cool. Plus some other things that I don't quite understand as I haven't really delved into it since I've been working on my module.

So the question is.....what would you like to see happen to these two modules? They are now essentially two stand alone programs...which can be used separately or together.

What would you put on a wish list and which program would you like to see be affected? Your responses will help us take things to the next level. Regardless of the requests the programs will remain free. That is what Doug has said he wants and I agree with him.

I am working on the screen resolution problem right now. And the data file problem with Bris files. So I'd like to hear from you as I'm sure Doug would too.

Handi :)

REBel
07-26-2009, 05:24 PM
I earlier stated that a cut and paste feature of your final four numbers, along with the odds line numbers, that could be pasted into Excel with Doug's program would be helpful.

If it could be done automatically, which I doubt, that would be super.

Thanks.

douglasw32
07-27-2009, 10:27 AM
I earlier stated that a cut and paste feature of your final four numbers, along with the odds line numbers, that could be pasted into Excel with Doug's program would be helpful.

If it could be done automatically, which I doubt, that would be super.

Thanks.

I Display in HTML and open in a 3rd party app (your browser) Handi sends it to the screen, if it was codded into html tables it would cut and paste, not sure how his language handles the screen but maye if it is put onto the screen as a text box that would make that work ?

douglasw32
07-27-2009, 10:31 AM
I am settled on this one...
http://localpcpros.com/FAST_CHROMED_2.exe

From my end. Well I always say that.

It was a bunch of changes, great learning, great user-supported development, Bugs found I did not even know I had, and very positive hearing so many comments.

THANKS FOR HANGING with us.

I hope everyone is happy with the end result.
I am still going to work on making a scratch file that is easy like handi's

Again the source code is open if anyone wants to develop more add ons

Handiman
07-28-2009, 02:12 AM
I am not a spreadsheet guy. So if you can tell me what format the info needs to be to paste into Excel maybe I can get it done.

sam i am
07-28-2009, 06:56 AM
Something to think about is to be able to change the weighting factors depending on the specific race. what I look for at a 6f 2yo race is not the same as a 1 1/8 Turf race...

Thanks,
SAI

douglasw32
07-28-2009, 08:07 AM
sam i am, I am working on that today, just because I decided yesterday "I needed it" My way will be much uglier than what handi could pull off, but it should work.

Handi- I am going to leave that one up to you if you want to add it in go ahead (I said not to bother just for lil old me) but if everyone else wants it, add it back to the wish list.

Also what we do with the spreadsheet, if you open up any of my generated html report and copy the whole race. then open up excell and hit paste...
it just fills in the cells.
(hope that helps)

zgplp
07-29-2009, 12:08 PM
I apologize if this question has been asked and answered previously...

When using Handifast 8.51 and comparing the top 4 contenders for the same race between the TSN file and the BRIS file I notice that sometimes the top 4 are not the same picks... I am sure it has something to do with the data it is pulling from the two different sources but in your opinion which file is giving better info?

Thanks to both of you for creating such a neat tool... I have been charting the results from various tracks and am amazed at its accuracy and profitability.

douglasw32
07-29-2009, 01:31 PM
I am interested in knowing this also, I think most are using the TSN 50c file, I use bris, they will be different since bris has pedigree info, whether or not that improves the program has yet to be determined?

AAcoolguy
07-29-2009, 06:16 PM
I would like to know if it would be possible to give the point totals for the top 4 selections with v8.5.1? That way we could see the gaps between the contenders. If I know that there is a 100 point difference between the top horse and the rest of the 4, it might tell me hpow strong a contender we have.

REBel
07-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Good idea, Aacoolguy.

Handiman
07-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Next handifast version will have the point totals for the contenders displayed as you have asked for. I also believe I will have it set up so the horses can be copied.

AAcoolguy
07-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks Handi

douglasw32
07-29-2009, 11:34 PM
Next handifast version will have the point totals for the contenders displayed as you have asked for. I also believe I will have it set up so the horses can be copied.

Very cool idea

REBel
07-30-2009, 01:19 PM
You guys are DA MAN (men).

douglasw32
07-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Something to think about is to be able to change the weighting factors depending on the specific race. what I look for at a 6f 2yo race is not the same as a 1 1/8 Turf race...

Thanks,
SAI

I am having much better results (bris file) using the points all just set at zero, no weight to anything ?

Anyone else want to clue me in as to what they get, maybe messing with the factors is just a waste of time..

Pcon04
07-31-2009, 02:10 PM
doug
I'm a bit confused !! I think I have the last fast but there is only a summary
correct??
Not the full pp's anymore or did i mess up??
btw
I kind of like to read the full comment line
will it be added again somewhere in the summary or in the full pp's if they are
back

thanks
pat
pcon

tryto
07-31-2009, 02:37 PM
Doug,

Have run into a problem trying to install latest program on my other PC.

When I clk on "Fast PPs" i get the following msg:

Component comdlg32ocx or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or Invalid.

What do I need to do to correct.

Thanks Loads

headhawg
07-31-2009, 02:59 PM
You probably need some files installed. See Doug's first post in this thread (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59233&page=1).

tryto
07-31-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks Head Which of the listed files wld you suggest I Download??

headhawg
07-31-2009, 07:19 PM
Try the library files first. You still may need some of the others, but start there as I'm pretty sure it includes the comdlg32.ocx file.

tryto
07-31-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks again, Head. Works fine.

douglasw32
07-31-2009, 09:43 PM
WOW you guys are great, that is the answer, and just yesterday , I said dang it ! (well something like that) I lost the last race comments.

Theywill be back.

hracingplyr
08-01-2009, 08:45 AM
i my parameters like you had done you know like the class surfaces fast and all that and where the S+$ sign box is i get numbers in the 200's 300's 400's for the horses, does this seem right to you? Woner if you or handi could post a sheet to see what the readouts should look like so were all on the same page.

douglasw32
08-01-2009, 09:32 AM
i my parameters like you had done you know like the class surfaces fast and all that and where the S+$ sign box is i get numbers in the 200's 300's 400's for the horses, does this seem right to you? Woner if you or handi could post a sheet to see what the readouts should look like so were all on the same page.

Yes, it just depends on what you put in, not really sure how well it works or what will, it is very experimental and of course just putting it on ZERO for all of them makes it not be there.

I am still working on that and the details around it.

Any usefulness you find, could you report what you did?

Mon
08-03-2009, 01:25 PM
yes i am a newbie at this stuff; however if we could see partial source code to see formulas it may help or not to deciper values ?? beside the minor bugs that get resolved, (thanks Doug and Handi !!) the different revisions makes me wonder if some versions work better than some ?
i would think depending on distance and conditions, we have to make some minor adjustments.
(we could look at maybe starting a thread with the different values for Doug to see if we see any trends ?)
Then again this tool is to be used as a guide and not make us wealthy :)
anyway enough of my ramblings.

nagwa
08-03-2009, 02:34 PM
hi doug,

tried to download your programme appreciate your help

Roger
08-03-2009, 06:29 PM
I am having much better results (bris file) using the points all just set at zero, no weight to anything ?

Anyone else want to clue me in as to what they get, maybe messing with the factors is just a waste of time..

Doug, I am using TSN Procaps files and am getting very good results, sometimes scary good using the following weights.

I am experimenting with old files which I have hundreds of and I am very pleasantly amazed at the accuracy of these ratings. It would be interesting to hear others chime in on their weightings and results...Mostly using Mountaineer and Belmont now..I tend to steer away from 2yo's and Mdn's with too many FTS's..But the results are very very good! I know my sample presently is rather small, but it far outperforms other trial runs with a similiarly sized samples. Be interesting to hear others results....Once again...Thank's Doug and Handi for making it so affordable!!

Roger :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

And one question..when using these weightings are they specific only to the top horse in the category or is it spreading the points proportionately to the top 1-2-or 3 horses?

fight
08-04-2009, 09:54 AM
roger ive got 11 weighted factors you have 10 could you list them.ty

Handiman
08-04-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm assuming you are talking points per column. Points assigned to a particular column.

But how do you assign the points to which horses? Weighting can be two different things....weighting in relation to one column getting more value points than another column. And then weighting within the column itself, with assignment of column points to a horse based on rank within the column.

Can you clear that up for me. I know how handifast does the numbers but if I end up adding user assigned points and weighting I need to know how you guys want or are doing it.

Thanks

Roger
08-04-2009, 05:48 PM
roger ive got 11 weighted factors you have 10 could you list them.ty

In the program I have there are only 10 weighting options.where is the 11th?

Roger, :confused:

Roger
08-04-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm assuming you are talking points per column. Points assigned to a particular column.

But how do you assign the points to which horses? Weighting can be two different things....weighting in relation to one column getting more value points than another column. And then weighting within the column itself, with assignment of column points to a horse based on rank within the column.

Can you clear that up for me. I know how handifast does the numbers but if I end up adding user assigned points and weighting I need to know how you guys want or are doing it.

Thanks

Yes Handi, I was talking points per column , but as I stated on my previous post I wasn't sure how those points were assigned,(to the top horse or distributed proportionately to the top three???). So, the points assigned per category or column would be ranked within the column itself with assignment of points to a horse based on rank within the column as you stated.

Hope I made myself clear..But it don't necessarily make it right..still experimenting..Thank you both for all your hard work!

Roger,

I'm having good luck with the assigned points I posted..although I may tweak the last column..2nd best speed rating a little higher! :)

fight
08-04-2009, 06:25 PM
witch program can you change points handis o dougs? roger would you list factors for your 10 values i see 11 confused. ty

Roger
08-04-2009, 06:38 PM
witch program can you change points handis o dougs? roger would you list factors for your 10 values i see 11 confused. ty

In Doug's Program (FAST), there are 10 weighting options in the configuration text document..I have listed mine in the order given within the document. Like this.

Class
Distance
Best of Early/Late Pace
Form
Performance Class
FAST
Trainer
Jockey
Best of last 3 Speeds
2nd Best of last 3 speed figures

Roger,

Fight, I don't see where you see 11!, unless you mean best of Early and Late, which are combined into one I assume otherwise would be listed separately.

Handiman
08-04-2009, 11:40 PM
In hadifast you can see the points for each column. I do it the way Doug instructed me too. The top horse get double the points and the other three ranked get the listed point value. So there is a single layer of weighting going on with Handifast.

What is possible, and I'm trying to figure out what most want, is a two layer system. where the user can assign the points to the relevant columns and then the top 4 ranked horse's assigned points weighted according to the users desires.

ie; S1 = 10 points

top horse gets full 10 points. 2nd ranked gets 7 points and so on and so on.

Now if there aren't enough guys who really care about assigning their own points and weights, then I won't do it. I have plenty to keep me busy. Working right now on adding more race capability and ability to create a comma delimited output file.

So I really need some input from you guys.

Thanks,

AAcoolguy
08-05-2009, 03:01 AM
In hadifast you can see the points for each column. I do it the way Doug instructed me too. The top horse get double the points and the other three ranked get the listed point value. So there is a single layer of weighting going on with Handifast.

What is possible, and I'm trying to figure out what most want, is a two layer system. where the user can assign the points to the relevant columns and then the top 4 ranked horse's assigned points weighted according to the users desires.

ie; S1 = 10 points

top horse gets full 10 points. 2nd ranked gets 7 points and so on and so on.

Now if there aren't enough guys who really care about assigning their own points and weights, then I won't do it. I have plenty to keep me busy. Working right now on adding more race capability and ability to create a comma delimited output file.

So I really need some input from you guys.

Thanks,

...then don't fix it! Really, how have you been doing with it the way it is? This was one of my concerns awhile back. I say leave well enough alone. Leave the points at the top of the column and let those who want to mess with them if they want, but please don't change things! :bang:

Handiman
08-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Hey Cool,

I have been doing fairly well. I handicap for a couple of buddies. Last Sunday they went to the Santa Rosa Fair Horse races here in town. I did Santa Rosa and Del Mar for them. In top two gave them 5 winners at Santa Rosa and 4 at Del Mar.

The one that really matters is Del Mar for this conversation anyway. They hit the first race for $8.40 I think it was. Then in the 2nd I gave them 6-1 and a third backup horse in case of scratch. They played the 6 to win and the 6-1 exacta. One buddy had the 6 to win 25 times and the 6-1 exacta $2 ticket 6 times. The other guy had the Ex $2 ticket 4 times.

Everybody around them were making fun of them betting the 6 horse...hadn't run in 451 days I believe. It came 6-1 and one guy cashed over $1700 and the other guy had the $150 ex 4 times so $600 for him. They were jumping up and down and high fiving each other and called my cell phone as I sat in the local movie theater with my wife watching Harry Potter.

It was very cool. So I won't be changing anything. I was just going to add the ability for the user to changes things if he wanted too. But the program will stay as is regarding points and the way it figures things now.

AAcoolguy
08-05-2009, 05:28 PM
I love that story, good for you and your friends! I too am doing pretty well, not as good as that, but keeping my head above water! Lets keep it going!

:ThmbUp:

Handiman
08-06-2009, 12:03 AM
Cool,

Played with the same guys today at the fair. Hit the last race at Saratoga and my bud who bets pretty big had $50 on the winner and the exacta several times.

Hit a few at Del Mar but nothing real big. But at Santa Rosa in Race 6, I had the 6-3-1 for the guys. The 3 was scratched so that left the 6-1. I played both to win. Mu bug betting buddy decided to just play the 6 and box the 6-1 in the exacta. I told him before to play two horses to win, especially in this type situation. But somebody else convinced him that 2 horse win bet was betting against yourself.

Well, the 6 did nothing and I hit the 1 for $29.00 pay off. It was sweet. he wasn't so happy. That would have made his day, cause he would have had it 25 times.

That was about the most exciting things that happened today. I'm exhausted, but they said they may call me tomorrow to go again. I kind of hope not, so I can lay around and get some rest.

AAcoolguy
08-06-2009, 02:57 AM
...you should get some rest if you feel like it. If you're forcing it it's no fun. :sleeping:

Handiman
08-06-2009, 03:37 AM
I'm one of those guys that fun just sucks them in and then they suffer later. Maybe I need a notice to pop up that says..Hey Dumbass...you need a rest...:lol:

You're going to love this story....Everybody has been, well not everybody I guess, but several people have used bris files and in the middle of the card, they get the notice popping up calling them a Dumbass for trying too many races. Obviously as we know that is a problem error.

Well today I was handicapping Saratoga with the TSN files I always use..and around the 5th race I clicked the select race button and the notice popped up calling me a Dumbass. I started laughing after I calmed down and quit swearing at TSN.

Then I thought why not download same track-same day from Bris. So I downloaded drf Saratoga file and the file was fine. :blush: What the hell does that mean now? I am totally confused. Sometimes the program has problem with Bris and TSN works just fine. And now it's just the reverse, in this situation anyway. And I haven't changed the code one bit yet.

I am totally clueless why this is happening and I can't find anyone who can figure it out. So I don't know what to do now. :bang:

dartman51
08-06-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm one of those guys that fun just sucks them in and then they suffer later. Maybe I need a notice to pop up that says..Hey Dumbass...you need a rest...:lol:

You're going to love this story....Everybody has been, well not everybody I guess, but several people have used bris files and in the middle of the card, they get the notice popping up calling them a Dumbass for trying too many races. Obviously as we know that is a problem error.

Well today I was handicapping Saratoga with the TSN files I always use..and around the 5th race I clicked the select race button and the notice popped up calling me a Dumbass. I started laughing after I calmed down and quit swearing at TSN.

Then I thought why not download same track-same day from Bris. So I downloaded drf Saratoga file and the file was fine. :blush: What the hell does that mean now? I am totally confused. Sometimes the program has problem with Bris and TSN works just fine. And now it's just the reverse, in this situation anyway. And I haven't changed the code one bit yet.

I am totally clueless why this is happening and I can't find anyone who can figure it out. So I don't know what to do now. :bang:

Handi, are you using the TSN ProCaps, or the eg files?? I use ProCaps exclusively, and I had no trouble with Saratoga , for 0805. :)

headhawg
08-06-2009, 09:07 AM
I am totally clueless why this is happening and I can't find anyone who can figure it out. So I don't know what to do now.You've written some other 'capping programs in Liberty Basic, right? Do they work ok with the suspect files? If so, do you use the same data import routine for Handifast and the other programs? Maybe it's not the files, per se, but the way that the import routine is written combined with the data file structure.

Handiman
08-06-2009, 11:21 AM
I learned the data import one way in the beginning and have never changed it.

As for Procaps data files, I don't use them because of the price. I have gone through procaps,tsn .50 and bris files and the structure is all the same. But the main difference is procapps has a proprietary power number as does the bris file. TSN .50 doesn't. There maybe one or two other information fields in one versus the other now, I haven't compared them in some time, so I don't really know. But the guy I spoke to at TSN said they were basically the same.

This is a crazy situation for sure.

dartman51
08-06-2009, 12:20 PM
I learned the data import one way in the beginning and have never changed it.

As for Procaps data files, I don't use them because of the price. I have gone through procaps,tsn .50 and bris files and the structure is all the same. But the main difference is procapps has a proprietary power number as does the bris file. TSN .50 doesn't. There maybe one or two other information fields in one versus the other now, I haven't compared them in some time, so I don't really know. But the guy I spoke to at TSN said they were basically the same.

This is a crazy situation for sure.

Handi, how many tracks do you do pr day? If you download an ave. of 4 per day, then the TSN ADVANTAGE PLAN, would be the best bet. Unlimited downloads of the ProCaps files, the xrd results files and some other things that I don't remember because I don't use them. Worth checking out.

AAcoolguy
08-06-2009, 09:33 PM
...that is all I've ever used with FAST or HANDI and have never had any trouble. The only thing I can think of is I only play So.Cal. tracks with the software. Is there a difference in the data from venue to venue?

dartman51
08-06-2009, 10:51 PM
...that is all I've ever used with FAST or HANDI and have never had any trouble. The only thing I can think of is I only play So.Cal. tracks with the software. Is there a difference in the data from venue to venue?

Not that I've found. I handicap all tracks when I'm testing software. I have found that I will get a random file occasionally, that has an error that won't let the progran read it. The thing is, when I find one of these files, many times I will run it through another program, and it will be fine. So it probably has something to do with what that particular program is looking at. There are a lot of commas in the file, if one is out of place, or maybe missing, it might affect 1 program but not another. I just guessing really. But it makes sense.

AAcoolguy
08-07-2009, 04:42 AM
...as soon as I mention something about only using the TSN files, I can't access my TSN account because of an issue with my credit card! Luckily I can still access BRIS so now I am using a BRIS .drf file with no trouble @ DMR.

Handiman
08-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Thanks dart,

I've been aware of the program for some time, but just have never down loaded that many tracks because of health issues and other concerns over the last few years.

I've just started doing more tracks a day now with my spending more time horse racing and programming again. But then health issue raises it's ugly head. My Cardiologist is meeting me this morning on his day off because my breathing is getting bad. Afraid I might be slipping back into Congestive Heart Failure again.

We'll see what happens. But thanks for the heads up anyway. I really appreciate it.

dartman51
08-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks dart,

I've been aware of the program for some time, but just have never down loaded that many tracks because of health issues and other concerns over the last few years.

I've just started doing more tracks a day now with my spending more time horse racing and programming again. But then health issue raises it's ugly head. My Cardiologist is meeting me this morning on his day off because my breathing is getting bad. Afraid I might be slipping back into Congestive Heart Failure again.

We'll see what happens. But thanks for the heads up anyway. I really appreciate it.

WOW!! Sorry to hear that Handi, hope everything turns out OK. I'll keep you in my prayers. :ThmbUp:

headhawg
08-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Yeah, all the best from me too, Handi. If it takes some of the load off, I would gladly look at the LB code to see if I can find any problems. Not that I'm gifted, but maybe just another set of eyes.

keenang
08-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Handi:

I am sure you will beat this.

Good Luck
Gene

RichieP
08-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Handi
Sending you my love and very best healing vibes man :ThmbUp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77j9Eu3TWkQ&feature=fvw

Roger
08-07-2009, 06:35 PM
The best of Health to you Handi....Take a break, relax and take care of yourself!
Health is #1 my friend...The Best to you.

Roger, :)

PaceAdvantage
08-07-2009, 06:45 PM
But then health issue raises it's ugly head. My Cardiologist is meeting me this morning on his day off because my breathing is getting bad. Afraid I might be slipping back into Congestive Heart Failure again.All the best thoughts to you Handi...I can't say enough how much I've enjoyed the development of your software here on PA....

Vinnie
08-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Handi:

My thoughts and prayers are out to you and your family. I hope that you are on the way to a speedy recovery very shortly.

STABLEMATE
08-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Wishing you all the best, for improved health. Hope you can take it easy for awhile, relax and just let the program sit for the time being. Good luck!
Mike

douglasw32
08-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Handi, I am so soryy to hear the news, I have been swamped at work and have not been able to post or program or handicap.

It all seems kind of irrelevant when i read this, I hugged all of my kids.

I hope all is well.

douglasw32
08-07-2009, 11:30 PM
BTW- not sure what others use but I had problems with the dumbass error and I only use bris, I had vista business, the system crashed so I just put xp on it this time and have not had one problem with the handi part of the program since?

AAcoolguy
08-08-2009, 12:56 AM
Thanks dart,

Get the rest you need and follow your Doc's instructions! If that means laying off the horses and the programing then do it, nothing is more important than your health. Be good to yourself, all of this will still be here tomorrow.
Richard.

Handiman
08-08-2009, 01:18 AM
Thanks a million to all of you for your kind words and well wishes. I truly appreciate it.

I met with my Dr. today. He doubled some of my medications and will do a blood test in 10 days. Then about 7 days after that I will undergo an echo cardiogram to see what things look like. There's some fear that my mechanical Aorta valve maybe breaking down or that I'm going back into heart failure.

I can't drag an empty plastic garbage can on wheels more than 75 feet without having to lay down and try and catch my breath and rest a bit. Went out the other night to bring in the 4 empty trash bins from the curb about 50-70 feet and it took me a half hour to get it done. So something isn't right I know that.

I live to do the horses and so programming is just going to have to get done...just maybe be slower than usual. By the way, Doug has always said that he wanted the program to be open source and I'm on board with that totally. So my liberty basic code is available to anyone who would like to have it!

Thanks again my friends,

Speed Figure
08-08-2009, 01:35 AM
Really hoping you get well!!

dirt
08-08-2009, 02:43 AM
Handi,
Hope you get well soon .

csmith
08-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Handi,

I know what you are going through. Just take it easy and think positive thoughts

Get well soon

Nets
08-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Handi,

I am familiar with congestive heart failure (my dad). It is good that you are staying on top of it. Like the many other posters I am praying for you and wish you the very best. Your efforts with Doug are amazing to watch and we all hope to watch it for a long time to come. God Bless.

Gary

Roger
08-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Doug,
I have been away for a few days and getting familiar with the new version.
I am assuming that the configuration utility is no longer valid? Columns don't coincide with the columns in the program...Did I miss something along the way? :confused:
Roger,

douglasw32
08-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Hi Roger,

Sorry for the confusion, most of this is confusing.

The config file just did not work well, I was losing money and it "just works" when left well enough alone.

I did learn a ton trying it and he results are what is now seen in the new program in the post HANDIFAST BETA2.

Again the summary will not match what comes out in the sortable are, I think the summary drastically out performs my original work.

I am hopeful that the two may someday coincide now that I am satisfied with the summary.

Handiman
08-13-2009, 11:44 AM
It's amazing how we can be so in control of our lives and our destiny's one day, and then all of a sudden find out we are nothing more that a minute spec in this great universe.

But because of all of you and your well wishes, my spec is a bit larger than it used to be, and for that I truly thank you. I can't tell you how much it means to hear from members here offering up condolences and prayers and well wishes. I do not...I do not take them lightly!

I am very blessed with my family and a great group of friends here residing on this board. I only wish I could offer more.

Thanks again to all of you!