PDA

View Full Version : Haskell Transportation

smartybadger
07-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Having never been to the Haskell before or even Monmouth Park, I was wondering what my best bet is in terms of getting to the Haskell on August 2nd. I know there is parking available at Monmouth Park, but do I risk getting shut out on Haskell Day? Should I take the NJ Transit train? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

onefast99
07-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Having never been to the Haskell before or even Monmouth Park, I was wondering what my best bet is in terms of getting to the Haskell on August 2nd. I know there is parking available at Monmouth Park, but do I risk getting shut out on Haskell Day? Should I take the NJ Transit train? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
There are plenty of lots surrounding the track. Get there early that is your best bet. If you are a person who prefers trains then that is also a good source of transportation. There is a lot to do after the races plenty of good restauants within a few miles of the track including the Sitting Duck and Rooney's Ocean crab house. Pier Village is also about 3 miles away and like Rooneys there are several restaurants including Mcloone's right on the water.

alhattab
07-25-2009, 07:04 PM

What is your starting point and how much flexibility do you have on Monday? Parking is not a problem but traffic getting to the track and you run the risk of catching shore traffic back home if you're going to North Jersey.

Going to Monmouth, the "back way" using Parkway exit 109 can help you avoid a lot of traffic. If interested I can help explain.

I would add Sallee Tee's to the list of good apre racing options provided by Onefast.

Give us more specifics and we can be more helpful

smartybadger
07-25-2009, 07:26 PM
What is your starting point and how much flexibility do you have on Monday? Parking is not a problem but traffic getting to the track and you run the risk of catching shore traffic back home if you're going to North Jersey.

Going to Monmouth, the "back way" using Parkway exit 109 can help you avoid a lot of traffic. If interested I can help explain.

I would add Sallee Tee's to the list of good apre racing options provided by Onefast.

Give us more specifics and we can be more helpful

Well I'll be driving back to upstate New York Sunday night...I'm staying in a hotel either in Tinton Falls or Eatontown on Saturday night and I'm guessing I'll go to both Saturday and Sunday at Monmouth, if not Monmouth Saturday then checking out the Mets game at Citi Field...I'm assuming I'm going to be running into some pretty tough traffic for the scheduled four hour, but likely six hour drive back home. Thanks for your help.

Doc
07-25-2009, 07:30 PM
I mean this sincerely when I say your best bet for Haskell Day is to stay home and watch the action on TVG. It is the absolute worst place to get in and out of ... traffic is a nightmare unless you want to leave at 8 a.m. and camp out at the front gate until they open up. Having fallen victim to the massive jams on Rte. 36 and on the back roads back by Wolf Hill for many, many years, I can honestly say that there is no racetrack in the world that handles the logistics of a large crowd worse than Monmouth. There are supposed to be cops that time the red lights on Rte. 36, but they never materialize. I used to take the back road in through Oceanport and cut through Fort Monmouth, but right after 9-11 they closed off Ft. Monmouth and diverted all the traffic into town, which is a nightmare unto itself. Wait until a mid-week card in August and you will have a much more pleasant time.

alhattab
07-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Well I'll be driving back to upstate New York Sunday night...I'm staying in a hotel either in Tinton Falls or Eatontown on Saturday night and I'm guessing I'll go to both Saturday and Sunday at Monmouth, if not Monmouth Saturday then checking out the Mets game at Citi Field...I'm assuming I'm going to be running into some pretty tough traffic for the scheduled four hour, but likely six hour drive back home. Thanks for your help.

Doc's comments notwithstanding, you'll be fine staying in TF or Eatontown (I assume you booked a place already). Both are about 3 miles from the track (I live 1 mile from the track). Ask at the hotel about the "back way". Different than the back way I mentioned but a better bet than Rt 36 as Doc notes. You will have absolutely no problem with parking. Remember post time Sunday is Noon.

I would definitely go both days. You will get a great feel for the track on Saturday when crowd will be about 10k- a fairly normal number and one which offers plenty of room. It is a great place.

If you are interested in going out on Sat night I'm happy to offer suggestions that align with your interests.

On the drive down you will hit shore-bound traffic. Volume depends on weather. If I were you I'd be moving as early as possible (if I were in Albany/Saratoga area I'd leave no later than 6). If you get here early no big deal- just hit the beach or go out for a late breakfast along the beach and you'll be all set. Again happy to offer suggestions. Listen to 101.5 radio (you will pick up around Parkway Exit 145) and 880 AM before then. 101.5 has traffic every 15 minutes beginning at 3 past the hour and 880 on the "8s".

The trip going home will be tough. If you have any flexibility at all I'd suggest staying Sunday night or waiting until late. A good idea may be to head East after the track toward the coast for dinner to let the traffic clear, then head back towards the highways. Otherwise you'll have to ride out the Parkway.

I will be at Mth Saturday and am happy to speak further. Send me a note with your number if you want to talk on the phone. Like almost anything if you're prepared and knowledgeable you'll have a great time despite the crowd on Sunday.

onefast99
07-26-2009, 07:50 AM
As in the past the Haskell traffic hits the parkway at the sametime the shore traffic does. That is why you should enjoy one of the aforementioned restaurants before hitting the road. Sunday is a rough day heading north no matter where you are in NJ. Good luck and enjoy the Haskell, being there live is the only way I would ever see it!

smartybadger
07-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Haha Doc, you certainly have me second guessing whether I should be going to Monmouth this upcoming weekend.

Unfortunately I do have to be at work on Monday morning after the Haskell (what a letdown that will be, especially after all the money I'm sure I'll lose) so I don't really have many options in terms of when I can head back. I will just have to stick out the Jersey Shore/Haskell traffic.

In terms of what you were saying Doc, with how bad Monmouth/Oceanport handles their big days, I can only hope that with Rachel/Summer Bird/Munnings running that they will be at least somewhat prepared. I have to imagine they at least adequately handled the Breeders Cup in 2007.

I haven't booked it yet, but I'll probably stay at the Holiday Inn on Hope Road in Tinton Falls...any suggestions in terms of the best way to get to the track from there would be much appreciated.

How does the track do in itself in terms of handling big crowds? Is it impossible to get around once you're there? I'm probably going to take your advice and do Saturday also so I can actually see the place without 40,000 people there. Thanks again for your help.

miesque
07-26-2009, 06:00 PM
In terms of what you were saying Doc, with how bad Monmouth/Oceanport handles their big days, I can only hope that with Rachel/Summer Bird/Munnings running that they will be at least somewhat prepared. I have to imagine they at least adequately handled the Breeders Cup in 2007.

After being to Monmouth for the BC and dealing with traffic in and out, I would never show up for the Haskell which is often even a bigger crowd and has beach traffic to boot. Monmouth may have the worst set up as far as getting people in and out in a timely fashion then any track I have been to because the roads surrounding are not as wide as they should be. I have been to the United Nations Stakes and thats a bit more manageable although even with that I remember getting stuck in traffic heading towards the beach on the way.

point given
07-26-2009, 06:32 PM
After being to Monmouth for the BC and dealing with traffic in and out, I would never show up for the Haskell which is often even a bigger crowd and has beach traffic to boot. Monmouth may have the worst set up as far as getting people in and out in a timely fashion then any track I have been to because the roads surrounding are not as wide as they should be. I have been to the United Nations Stakes and thats a bit more manageable although even with that I remember getting stuck in traffic heading towards the beach on the way.

Yes, if you take the main drag roads, not as bad if you navigate around them. After many traffic jams, i explored the back streets and navigated my way around there, Granted not so easy for a first timer, but a little googling helps a whole lot. :ThmbUp:

The Hawk
07-26-2009, 09:17 PM
How about this? Stay north or south of the track but someplace that's on the train line, and take the train to and from the track. You can catch it on the backstretch, at the "Monmouth Park" stop, which is about a 15 minute walk from the grandstand. You're still going to hit beach traffic once you get going but you'll skirt all off the track traffic, and if you stay north of the track you'll get a head start.

alhattab
07-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Haha Doc, you certainly have me second guessing whether I should be going to Monmouth this upcoming weekend.

Unfortunately I do have to be at work on Monday morning after the Haskell (what a letdown that will be, especially after all the money I'm sure I'll lose) so I don't really have many options in terms of when I can head back. I will just have to stick out the Jersey Shore/Haskell traffic.

I haven't booked it yet, but I'll probably stay at the Holiday Inn on Hope Road in Tinton Falls...any suggestions in terms of the best way to get to the track from there would be much appreciated.

How does the track do in itself in terms of handling big crowds? Is it impossible to get around once you're there? I'm probably going to take your advice and do Saturday also so I can actually see the place without 40,000 people there. Thanks again for your help.

Once inside the track, Monmouth handles a big crowd fine. It is a big place and there is plenty of room and opportunity to wager.

The options west of the track are the HI you mention, the Sheraton and the Courtyard. There is also a Courtyard in Red Bank (right near exit 109 rather than 105- Exit 105 is the primary racetrack exit) as well as an Extended Stay. If you want to go high-end, you could try the Molly Pitcher or Oyster Point in Red Bank or the Ocean Place in Long Branch.

If you're really concerned about traffic and your only angle is to get to and from Mth for the Haskell and have no interest in anything else, your best bet may be to stay in Red Bank or Middletown (I'm not sure of hotel accomodations in Middletown). You can take train from there. If you're set on the HI, you can either do as I suggest and inquire re. the "back way", get there early (say 11:00 am which will put you ahead of most traffic) or take a taxi (there are many cab companies down here). Really the trip to the track at 11 or 11:30 may take longer than the typical 3 mile drive but really should not be a big deal especially since you know what you are getting into. The HI is very convenient to the track and allows you to avoid the worst of the traffic. On the map below the HI is at corner of Rt 36 and County 51. The "back way" is North on Hope Rd (County 51), right on county rd. 537 East and you follow County 537 to the track.

Don't let these people scare you. This is really not a big deal considering you are staying in the area. It will be a great day especially since now you know what you're doing and you are staying close by. The drive home will be the worst and you absolutely need to listen to the traffic reports

onefast99
07-27-2009, 08:38 AM
We have been at the Haskell, Fathers Day and the Breeders Cup and each and every time MP handles the traffic pretty well. Fathers day is usually a huge crowd and the beach traffic does make the drive northbound on the parkway a little longer. You have been given a lot of options on this thread. Not going to the Haskell because one or two people had problems getting there or home shouldn't deter you from what is going to be a very good day of racing. In your case the traffic heading into NY will be worse then what you have around the track. Good luck and have a good time.

alhattab
07-27-2009, 09:05 AM
Once inside the track, Monmouth handles a big crowd fine. It is a big place and there is plenty of room and opportunity to wager.

The options west of the track are the HI you mention, the Sheraton and the Courtyard. There is also a Courtyard in Red Bank (right near exit 109 rather than 105- Exit 105 is the primary racetrack exit) as well as an Extended Stay. If you want to go high-end, you could try the Molly Pitcher or Oyster Point in Red Bank or the Ocean Place in Long Branch.

If you're really concerned about traffic and your only angle is to get to and from Mth for the Haskell and have no interest in anything else, your best bet may be to stay in Red Bank or Middletown (I'm not sure of hotel accomodations in Middletown). You can take train from there. If you're set on the HI, you can either do as I suggest and inquire re. the "back way", get there early (say 11:00 am which will put you ahead of most traffic) or take a taxi (there are many cab companies down here). Really the trip to the track at 11 or 11:30 may take longer than the typical 3 mile drive but really should not be a big deal especially since you know what you are getting into. The HI is very convenient to the track and allows you to avoid the worst of the traffic. On the map below the HI is at corner of Rt 36 and County 51. The "back way" is North on Hope Rd (County 51), right on county rd. 537 East and you follow County 537 to the track.

Don't let these people scare you. This is really not a big deal considering you are staying in the area. It will be a great day especially since now you know what you're doing and you are staying close by. The drive home will be the worst and you absolutely need to listen to the traffic reports

Sorry forgot the map. County 537 is Tinton Ave.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=tinton+falls,+nj&sll=40.339348,-74.032917&sspn=0.066731,0.15398&g=little+silver,+nj&ie=UTF8&ll=40.299298,-74.05283&spn=0.033385,0.10952&z=14

onefast99
07-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Sorry forgot the map. County 537 is Tinton Ave.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=tinton+falls,+nj&sll=40.339348,-74.032917&sspn=0.066731,0.15398&g=little+silver,+nj&ie=UTF8&ll=40.299298,-74.05283&spn=0.033385,0.10952&z=14
I can't believe anyone would stay away from the Haskell because of a little traffic! May be the best one yet...

Doc
07-27-2009, 10:16 AM
I have ALWAYS had problems getting into and out of Monmouth on Haskell Day, and I attended nearly 20 straight years. Actually, I always prayed for rain so the crowd wouldn't be as big. The back roads are the way to go IF you must, but be prepared for them to be pretty clogged up, too. If I had to suggest a way to avoid the gridlock that often occurs around the track, I would say take the train. Some people handle sitting in stopped-dead traffic better than others; if you don't mind, then the trip shouldn't be a problem for you. Compounding the traffic misery is the shore traffic and mall traffic on Rte. 36, and like I said the police who are supposed to keep traffic flowing just never seem to get the job done right. Having grown up near Monmouth I know what I'm talking about. Sure, the live card is great, but let's face it - they will be 20 deep around the paddock trying to catch a glimpse of Rachel Alexandra, and the best view will be from the one coming from your television.

smartybadger
07-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Well I already booked my hotel so I guess I'm locked in. I don't mind a little traffic, it's not a big deal really. It should be a great weekend for racing and I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for all your help everyone.

onefast99
07-27-2009, 02:13 PM
I have ALWAYS had problems getting into and out of Monmouth on Haskell Day, and I attended nearly 20 straight years. Actually, I always prayed for rain so the crowd wouldn't be as big. The back roads are the way to go IF you must, but be prepared for them to be pretty clogged up, too. If I had to suggest a way to avoid the gridlock that often occurs around the track, I would say take the train. Some people handle sitting in stopped-dead traffic better than others; if you don't mind, then the trip shouldn't be a problem for you. Compounding the traffic misery is the shore traffic and mall traffic on Rte. 36, and like I said the police who are supposed to keep traffic flowing just never seem to get the job done right. Having grown up near Monmouth I know what I'm talking about. Sure, the live card is great, but let's face it - they will be 20 deep around the paddock trying to catch a glimpse of Rachel Alexandra, and the best view will be from the one coming from your television.
He will have a great day at MP and I am sure he will deal with the traffic just fine. Once again have fun!

point given
07-27-2009, 04:47 PM
He will have a great day at MP and I am sure he will deal with the traffic just fine. Once again have fun!

You forgot to mention that he will be given one fine looking Haskell ball cap to commemorate his trip to the track , as the Haskell hat is a tradition of the Monmouth day of racing. :ThmbUp:

smartybadger
07-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Haha yeah, can't wait for that. I think they gave them out at the Masscap in 2004 when Funny Cide ran. Not sure if I still have it. Those are always high quality hats that don't break after you wear it four times. :lol: Didn't I mention that this is why I'm going to the Haskell? For the hat?

Cubbymac26
07-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Ok I haven't posted on here in a while but I just couldn't resist.......

From reading these responses i'm not sure if anybody has ever been to a haskell.....let me give a little word to the wise on how to have a great haskell day....

You go upstairs into the clubhouse adjacent to the salvator grill and garden room you go to the clubhouse ticket stand there should be a lady rose Mary selling tickets prob 15 a piece... Right on the wire... Tons of simulcast plenty of tellers....no chance of getting shut out( ran to window a minute to post fired 400 win on any given Saturday). Got back to seats before the load started...

Now everybody stands to watch the race...... As soon as they hit the wire here's what u do..... U just roll out the track get your car you will hit zero traffic leaving and zero on the parkway..... I'm just sick cuz I just moved up to Connecticut and this will be the first haskell I ever missed in 15 years and it's a good one

arno
07-27-2009, 07:11 PM
I am at Monmouth about 4 times a week all year round.
Everybody have a great time.
The undercard will be super also.

Here are some words of advice for Sunday.

DON"T PARK VALET!

The Hawk
07-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Ok I haven't posted on here in a while but I just couldn't resist.......

From reading these responses i'm not sure if anybody has ever been to a haskell.....let me give a little word to the wise on how to have a great haskell day....

You go upstairs into the clubhouse adjacent to the salvator grill and garden room you go to the clubhouse ticket stand there should be a lady rose Mary selling tickets prob 15 a piece... Right on the wire... Tons of simulcast plenty of tellers....no chance of getting shut out( ran to window a minute to post fired 400 win on any given Saturday). Got back to seats before the load started...

Now everybody stands to watch the race...... As soon as they hit the wire here's what u do..... U just roll out the track get your car you will hit zero traffic leaving and zero on the parkway..... I'm just sick cuz I just moved up to Connecticut and this will be the first haskell I ever missed in 15 years and it's a good one

Actually, you're right, you're the only one who's ever been to the Haskell. Tell us more. Like how you like flying your hovercraft. You MUST have one, since you're on the Parkway North at 6:30 on a Sunday night in the summer and hit zero traffic.

alhattab
07-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Haha yeah, can't wait for that. I think they gave them out at the Masscap in 2004 when Funny Cide ran. Not sure if I still have it. Those are always high quality hats that don't break after you wear it four times. :lol: Didn't I mention that this is why I'm going to the Haskell? For the hat?

Oh the old Haskell hats are awful. There was that one pinkish one a long time ago. But lately (say beginning in 2004 or 5) the quality has improved considerably. If you take a walk through the picnic area you'll see people with many years' worth of Haskell hats laid out on a string.

Have a great time!

onefast99
07-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Oh the old Haskell hats are awful. There was that one pinkish one a long time ago. But lately (say beginning in 2004 or 5) the quality has improved considerably. If you take a walk through the picnic area you'll see people with many years' worth of Haskell hats laid out on a string.

Have a great time!
The hats are the best. See you all there.

Cubbymac26
07-28-2009, 01:12 AM
Yeah I helicopter into the infield around 5pm just like the old days when the boys used to helicopter from the meadowlands to Yonkers...

U prob get caught up in the traffic cuz u wait to cash in that $3 wps bet on big brown..... Or have that $1 double going big brown with all....

All kidding aside on the years I blow out once they hit the wire I've never had a problem with any traffic on years I stayed cuz I was buried and trying to get out it just made matters worse valet is a mob scene it's just bad...

The Hawk
07-28-2009, 08:11 AM
Yeah I helicopter into the infield around 5pm just like the old days when the boys used to helicopter from the meadowlands to Yonkers...

U prob get caught up in the traffic cuz u wait to cash in that $3 wps bet on big brown..... Or have that $1 double going big brown with all....

All kidding aside on the years I blow out once they hit the wire I've never had a problem with any traffic on years I stayed cuz I was buried and trying to get out it just made matters worse valet is a mob scene it's just bad...

No doubt, you could lose every race and the worst mistake you'd make all day would be to park in the valet.

onefast99
07-28-2009, 08:25 AM
No doubt, you could lose every race and the worst mistake you'd make all day would be to park in the valet.
The valet guys always seem to have a tip that can't lose!

smartybadger
07-28-2009, 08:51 AM
The valet guys always seem to have a tip that can't lose!

Then why are they the valet guys?

eastie
07-28-2009, 09:02 AM

Duh, to meet chicks. Don't you old guys know anything ? It is awesome how every single person in the joint wears the hat all day. Those orange Haskell hats from 05 were in demand everywhere. There are guys from beantown who never ever miss going down. They say it is a ball every year.

onefast99
07-28-2009, 09:43 AM
That's a very good question maybe because the tips are pretty good?

Cubbymac26
07-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Arrrrrrrrrrr.....This thread is killing me not living in jersey anymore I really have no way of making it Sunday don't not go to the haskell cuz of the traffic u pretty much get 7 hours of top notch racing..... I would sit in 2 hrs of traffic just to go Sunday

Did anybody give notice that the hambletonian isn't the day before.....don't no why they did that other then they may think that people can't afford 2 long days of racing....

Maybe in the future they may consider moving the haskell to a Saturday I think that would make a better situation for all

miesque
07-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Arrrrrrrrrrr.....This thread is killing me not living in jersey anymore I really have no way of making it Sunday don't not go to the haskell cuz of the traffic u pretty much get 7 hours of top notch racing..... I would sit in 2 hrs of traffic just to go Sunday

Did anybody give notice that the hambletonian isn't the day before.....don't no why they did that other then they may think that people can't afford 2 long days of racing....

Maybe in the future they may consider moving the haskell to a Saturday I think that would make a better situation for all

You see its all personal preference, two hours sitting in traffic for me is a deal killer. But then again, I get to the office 70-90 minutes before pretty much everyone else because I don't want to sit/crawl along in traffic and that extra 15-20 minutes in slow traffic versus moving at a decent velocity is enough to motivate me to wake up at 5:30 in the morning to avoid it. You do bring up a good point about Sunday. I had previously thought about heading up for the Haskell several years ago but since its on Sunday its a much more significant inconvenience to attend if you do not happen to live within a 2-3 hour drive each and its not easy traffic that segment of the country. Even if there was just minor traffic and it only took you 15 minutes to get out and on a freeway going at least 65 mph, its tough to plan a Sunday event since you pretty much need to get home that night since you gotta be at work the next morning and six and a half hour drive after a long day a the track driving though a highly congested region is just not worth it.

Stevie Belmont
07-28-2009, 10:50 AM
This will be my 11th Haskell. The key is to get there early and leave late. Leaving late you avoid all the traffic, just bring a cooler or something with some goodies in it to get you through the day. First race is at 12PM and the doors open at 10AM...

onefast99
07-28-2009, 06:47 PM

According to TVG over the weekend they said that the Haskell was early this year so the Hambletonian would be run after it. They actually made the right choice as you are right 2 days of top notch horse racing may be a bit much!

arno
07-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Haskell is not early as it's first Sunday in August.

The Hambletonian changed their date as the harness meet is ending later. Medowlands harness ends the Aug 21st the latest in years.

I believe also Meadowlands harness fall meet is starting in December and not it's usual November start.

I'd assume it wasn't Gary Seibel of TVG giving you this mis inforamtion.
He is the only announcer on TVG that knows Harness Racing.

Golf and Horses
07-28-2009, 09:16 PM
This will be my 11th Haskell. The key is to get there early and leave late. Leaving late you avoid all the traffic, just bring a cooler or something with some goodies in it to get you through the day. First race is at 12PM and the doors open at 10AM...
I've been to the last 8 Haskells... we always get up around the track around 9-ish... there's a diner across from the mall on 36...breakfast is pretty good...forget the name...we get to the track between 10:15 - 10:30... we learned after year 1...not to leave after the last race...hang out for Del Mar...by the time that card is over all the traffic is gone... only valet park if plan to stay for Del Mar card...slip the valet boss an extra $10 and tell him to keep it close...he will give you your keys right back after it's parked up front... when it's time to go ...no waiting...go right to your car and go.
Good Luck