PDA

View Full Version : Del Mar, Race 8: Eddie Read H

Bignick63
07-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Nick Borg's Picks for the Eddie Read Handicap:

Whatthescript (8)
Monterrey Jazz (1)
Artiste Royale (6)

www.nickborg.com (http://www.nickborg.com)

vic4417
07-25-2009, 01:17 PM
EDDIE READ STAKES
8TH :8: :6: :1: :4:

slew101
07-25-2009, 02:26 PM
I looked at this race over and over and keep coming back to Whatsthescript. But what a money burner. 3 straight losses at 6-5 or less.

Do you think the Del Mar turf will turn him around?

positive4th
07-25-2009, 02:31 PM
I looked at this race over and over and keep coming back to Whatsthescript. But what a money burner. 3 straight losses at 6-5 or less.

Do you think the Del Mar turf will turn him around?

I don't know if it'll be the DMR Turf or not, but for me the reason to like that horse would be all the Graded Stakes EXP.................not to mention he's a G2 winner @ DMR (DMR Mile 08) not to mention 2nd in THIS RACE last yr., which makes him the classiest in this field over this surface.......I'm not sure entirely what I'm doing with this one yet, but he makes alot of sense for alot of reasons.

positive4th
07-25-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm just about to throw out the :1: ............he just doesn't seem to have it coming back on shorter rest

11cashcall
07-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Race should have a legit pace too it.Imo the #1 Monterey Jazz looks vunerable here.Thorn Song should press this one along with Global Hunter a length back.
Whats Interesting is that speed has'nt held up where the Turf meets the Surf.

Whatsthescript pp's look sub-par but i like what his thorograph #'s reveal & looks to be going back to his top which would win this one.

Richard's Kid: What the hell is he doing in this one?Talking about being thrown to the wolfs,at least at first glance.Exits a key race and has the fastest
thorograph # in this field.Switches to turf(Kingmonbo)and his lastest wk. out
on the grass looked good.Should get decent odds and will take 10/1 or better.

# :7: to win
Tri. : :7: :8: / :7: :8: :6: / :7: :8: :6: :1: :4:

toetoe
07-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Richard's Kid: What the hell is he doing in this one?

I bet this guy this morning. If MJ doesn't hide from these, anything may happen.

miesque
07-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Don't forget that Thorn Song is first time Mike Mitchell and as such I expect a solid effort, it may not be enough to beat Monterey Jazz who is sharp as a tack right now, but I would be inclined to go with a Monterey Jazz/Thorn Song finish in either order.

racefinder2
07-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Im having a hard time seeing why those two wont run each other into the ground. It looks like 'no quarter' for either one, barring a scratch. Ill side w Whatsthescript on that basis, as a 'single' for serial bets.

miesque
07-25-2009, 04:09 PM
Im having a hard time seeing why those two wont run each other into the ground. It looks like 'no quarter' for either one, barring a scratch. Ill side w Whatsthescript on that basis, as a 'single' for serial bets.

Well they have said they are going to try to rate Thorn's Song (and yes, I know you have to take those sorts of statements with a grain of salt) and its a good place to make that attempt since I don't think Thorn's Song has Monterey Jazz style early speed so I fully anticipate Monterey Jazz followed by Thorn's Song and then the rest of the pack behind, now whether they can hold off the calvary late is another story but I think they make every attempt to avoid a suicidal duel early.

Slew
07-25-2009, 04:50 PM
:4:
Could be a gate to wire winner here...

Will try to post my Super Wheel at race time, if I can get away from company...

Vince

racefinder2
07-25-2009, 04:53 PM
I was thinking, is there a way to get Precious Passion out there, so I could be more certain that wouldnt happen?
Thorns Song, if Im not mistaken, has never won from off the pace, but is extremely strong when allowed to take control and rate on the lead. If they let MJ go, well, I hope they know better than what Ive already seen.

keilan
07-25-2009, 04:59 PM
2-7 / 2-7-8 x's

win on the 7

WinterTriangle
07-25-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm gonna play Thorn Song, Global Hunter, Artiste Royal, and Whatsthescript.

For lower exotics, I'm giving longhosts Richard's kid w/Espinoza, and Dakota Phone with his first run on turf, a chance.

Tee
07-25-2009, 05:19 PM
The jocks aboard Monterey Jazz & Thorn Song could make this a race of their own if they so choose. The race goes through both of them imo.

slew101
07-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Going to chase Dakota Phone in this for a small play with Whatsthescript.

positive4th
07-25-2009, 08:31 PM
TRI WHEEL - - - the :1: can bite me................

:4: :8:
:1: :3: :4: :6: :8:
:1: :3: :4: :5: :6: :8:

positive4th
07-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Ummmmm, okay...............thanks :4: for breaking down, and we may well have a 3 day carryover here........doesn't seem possible, but this went a long way toward making it happen

judd
07-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Nick Borg's Picks for the Eddie Read Handicap:

Whatthescript (8)
Monterrey Jazz (1)
Artiste Royale (6)

www.nickborg.com (http://www.nickborg.com)
never pay anyone for picks :ThmbDown:

miesque
07-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Thorn's Song didn't break down, he spooked and bolted to the far turn which in turn caused Monterey Jazz to take off like a jackrabbit in flight. That was a bizarre race to watch.

positive4th
07-25-2009, 08:51 PM
I realize he didn't break.................we can call it what we want, but that may well spark a 3-day carry for tomorrow

vic4417
07-25-2009, 09:05 PM
EXACTA BOX
:2: :4: :7:

slew101
07-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Right idea, wrong horse, of course.

DJofSD
07-25-2009, 09:15 PM
Ummmmm, okay...............thanks :4: for breaking down, and we may well have a 3 day carryover here........doesn't seem possible, but this went a long way toward making it happen
Thorn Song did not break down. He ducked out.

In another thread a purist is in an argument about handicapping the races. He asserts you can only handicap the horse. Others argue the trainer plays a role and perhaps more of a factor than any other.

According to ESPN, Mike Mitchel, the new trainer of Thorn Song, decided the horse did not need a full cup blinker. He wanted more from the horse during the work out routine. He changed it to a half cup blinker and was satisfied with the results. With the ducking out on the first turn, I would guess Dale Romans is saying to himself, 'and now he'll understand why I used the equipment I did.'

positive4th
07-25-2009, 09:36 PM
Thorn Song did not break down. He ducked out.

I already corrected myself..............the erroneous post was entered very soon after the race not having seen any replays. Give it a rest.

Slew
07-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Hey man, Thorns song didn't break down..?!?!?

LMAO....

just messin'..... :lol:

positive4th
07-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Hey man, Thorns song didn't break down..?!?!?

LMAO....

just messin'..... :lol:

See?? That's funny............did you get those TPS reports?? :lol:

Slew
07-25-2009, 09:41 PM
TPS...? Have no idea what you're talking about... Sorry...

positive4th
07-25-2009, 09:42 PM
TPS...? Have no idea what you're talking about... Sorry...

Office Space reference......nothing to do with horses, everything to do with redundancy :)

Slew
07-25-2009, 09:43 PM
Oh, ok... Never seen that movie... Heard it's funny though...

WinterTriangle
07-25-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm gonna play Thorn Song, Global Hunter, Artiste Royal, and Whatsthescript..

I felt like the only person in the world who liked Global Hunter

I just put a win on Thorn Song and Global, and a place on Artiste and Whatsthescript, and did end up making a profit.

The #5 ruined my exotics though.:mad: I shouldn't have left out Awesome Gem

had zero confidence in Monterrey to win this, who knows what would have happened, I like to think Thorn woulda won it.

I can't wait to see what Mitchell does with him next time. He already learned the "why" of those full blinkers. But his reasoning for changing them made sense at the time.

Indulto
07-25-2009, 10:49 PM
... With the ducking out on the first turn, I would guess Dale Romans is saying to himself, 'and now he'll understand why I used the equipment I did.'Apparently the vision-enhanced horse didn't see eye-to-eye with his connections. Did would-be-but-wasn't Preakness conspirator, Zayat, zig with his trainers when he should have zagged? In just the blink of an eye, Thorn Song became Thorn in Side.

WinterTriangle
07-26-2009, 01:08 AM
Apparently the vision-enhanced horse didn't see eye-to-eye with his connections. Did would-be-but-wasn't Preakness conspirator, Zayat, zig with his trainers when he should have zagged? In just the blink of an eye, Thorn Song became Thorn in Side.

Just another reason not to trust equipment changes unless they have been well tested with the horse.

Indulto
07-26-2009, 01:35 AM
Just another reason not to trust equipment changes unless they have been well tested with the horse.WT,
Do you happen to know whether the DRF indicated any change in equipment in the PPs, or was it only mentioned in articles about the race?

dutchboy
07-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Watched the race on my laptop. I saw a large flock of birds take off a few seconds before Thorn Song spooked. It was not possible to tell how close the bird flock was to the horses.

Did anyone else notice this?

positive4th
07-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Watched the race on my laptop. I saw a large flock of birds take off a few seconds before Thorn Song spooked. It was not possible to tell how close the bird flock was to the horses.

Did anyone else notice this?

yes, but dont know if it mattered...........