PDA

View Full Version : Can Some Computer Experts Help Me With This Problem?

trying2win
07-25-2009, 04:48 AM
In the last two weeks using my main USER NAME, I've had trouble accessing the internet. It doesn't matter whether I use INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX, I can't get a connection. The internet email program works just fine under my main USER NAME though.

And yet....when I use either of a couple of other USER NAMES I've created in the past, I have no problem getting onto the internet. Unfortunately, my internet email program doesn't work under these 'other USER NAMES'. So...it's kind of a pain, going back-and-forth between USER NAMES to get some programs to work.

I think the problems started when I tried a few programs on a trial basis, then had trouble uninstalling them.

About a week ago, I tried the RESTORE program, and set it back a week (when I thought everything was working fine under my main USER NAME.

So, I'm kind of stumped trying to figure out a remedy to these internet access problems. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks,

T2W

JustRalph
07-25-2009, 08:30 AM
un-install all firewall programs

zone alarm

and the like.........

you may be running one of those under that username and not the others

often the "default ports" in email are open even when you close down much of the rest of the machine............that would explain why your email app works but not the browser.........

another interesting test would be to start in "safe mode with network support"
and see if the browser works (it will look funny) if so.......something loading on that user profile at bootup is stopping it...........back to looking for some firewall or security software

tupper
07-25-2009, 02:25 PM
If you ever need to test your Internet connection, you can "ping" a web address.

Open a command window and type "ping yahoo.com" (or "ping www.yahoo.com") then press <enter>. You should see lines reporting on the speed of the ping, etc. If the lines don't stop ,press <ctrl + break> or <ctrl + C>.

Here is a link with more info on ping: http://www.ehow.com/how_2258420_ping-website-windows.html

Of course, you can always instantly use a Linux Live CD, if Windows has problems with the Internet.

Here are instructions on burning a Live CD in Windows with Nero: http://windows2linux.tech-no-media.com/2009/06/how-to-download-and-burn-linux-mint-or.html

trying2win
07-25-2009, 06:39 PM
JUST RALPH, TUPPER,

Thanks for the tips. Now that I'm pretty well finished with the other kind of windows for the day...i.e. the parimutuel ones, I can spend some time on the possible computer remedies offered.

T2W

----------------------------------------------------------------

~"Never think if you can solve a problem. Think how you can solve it."

--Norman Vincent Peale

trying2win
07-27-2009, 04:39 AM
Thanks again JUST RALPH. Your suggestion to uninstall ZONE ALARM helped me to make some progress. Since switching to the WINDOWS FIREWALL progam, I'm now able to access the internet using INTERNET EXPLORER via my main user name.

I also did some more troubleshooting by scanning my hard drive with an anti-spyware program. I also scanned the start up menu. I found and disabled one of those 'trial' sofware programs on there that was probably causing some of the problems. I even checked the 'add-ons' section, to see if there were some that I could do without.

It's strange that I can get IE to work now, but not FIREFOX. Still working on that case.

T2W

trying2win
07-27-2009, 09:55 PM
I just fixed the FIREFOX browser problem. I deleted the version I had on the computer. I think it was one of the FIREFOX 3 series. Then I went to www.oldversion.com , and chose one of the older FIREFOX 2 series. The FIREFOX 2.0.0.11 version works just fine on my older computer.

T2W