PDA

View Full Version : Emotions!

cowboy748
07-25-2009, 02:16 AM
How many of you are handicapping and have your pick that you feel comfortable with and then the guy next to you (and he's not a newcomer, he's been handicapping just as much as you have) yells out loud to his buddies what his pick is and you begin to start all over with your analysis! This is how I know I'm still a nOOb but I'm trying to learn how to keep emotions out of it. any suggestions? :)

I don't know if this is a stupid question but this occasion happens sometimes to me and I end up losin my bet

cmoore
07-25-2009, 02:47 AM
Ignore them..Stick to your pick. The guy next to you will probably do the winning fist pump in the air as his 3-1 :lol: crosses the finish line 1 of 6 times. Where will that get you?..NO frickin where!!!

limewithsoco
07-25-2009, 03:07 AM
horses dont know if they are favorites or longshots. stick with your opinion with your analysis so its consistent and over time u can see what decisions work for u. the guy next to u has nothing to do with your opinion or the outcome of the race.

JustRalph
07-25-2009, 08:31 AM
How many of you are handicapping and have your pick that you feel comfortable with and then the guy next to you (and he's not a newcomer, he's been handicapping just as much as you have) yells out loud to his buddies what his pick is and you begin to start all over with your analysis! This is how I know I'm still a nOOb but I'm trying to learn how to keep emotions out of it. any suggestions? :)

I don't know if this is a stupid question but this occasion happens sometimes to me and I end up losin my bet

Stay Home

Overlay
07-25-2009, 08:46 AM
If you have a logical selection process that minimizes subjectivity or opinion (where you can explain the basis for your choice), and that you have confidence in as a result of its performance in the past, it makes it easier to tune out all that background chatter. (I find that the use of statistics works best for me in that regard.)

Overlay
07-25-2009, 09:07 AM
One other consideration -- there might be cases where I would "like" the other guy's horse as much as he does from the standpoint of pure winning probability (which, I would say, is what most people base their wagers on). But I would be betting another horse because my horse's odds were offering value in light of my assessment of its winning probability, whereas the odds on the other guy's horse were not.

rokitman
07-25-2009, 12:58 PM

The odds are somewhere beween slim to none that you happen to be sitting next to someone that knows anything that really matters (no matter matter how long they have been playing) and those odds go down if you are sitting next to somebody who yells out loud what they are going to play.

Hajck Hillstrom
07-25-2009, 06:27 PM
This is how I know I'm still a nOOb but I'm trying to learn how to keep emotions out of it. Not a stupid question.

First of all, this isn't a question of emotion, but analysis of information received. Your job as a handicapper is to employ filters. There is useful data that should be absorbed, some ignored, and some set on the back burner to simmer.

Maybe over time you will learn that the handicapper in question has a valid opinion regarding turf racing, or has a penchant for pedigree. His might be a point of view you will want to listen to under certain circumstances and tune out in others.

You are weighing information in every race, and every circumstance is different. Remember to use your filters and trust your instincts.

fmolf
07-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Not a stupid question.

First of all, this isn't a question of emotion, but analysis of information received. Your job as a handicapper is to employ filters. There is useful data that should be absorbed, some ignored, and some set on the back burner to simmer.

Maybe over time you will learn that the handicapper in question has a valid opinion regarding turf racing, or has a penchant for pedigree. His might be a point of view you will want to listen to under certain circumstances and tune out in others.

You are weighing information in every race, and every circumstance is different. Remember to use your filters and trust your instincts.
Being basically a loner myself i will relocate to another section of the facility...i do not mind a little conversation but loudmouths i will try to ignore.I try also to never ever let anything or anyone make me waiver from my selection.

CBedo
07-25-2009, 11:08 PM
The odds are somewhere beween slim to none that you happen to be sitting next to someone that knows anything that really matters (no matter matter how long they have been playing) and those odds go down if you are sitting next to somebody who yells out loud what they are going to play.....which is why I end up taking a second look....when he yells out that he loves the same horse as me!:lol:

nalley0710
07-26-2009, 07:08 AM
I listened to someone one time in the beginning and bet his 2-1 favorite instead of my 26-1 longshot. Of course I had to watch my longshot win which really blew. To add insult to injury, the woman I was living with spent the rest of my money that night. I dumped the girlfriend and never listened to anyone at the track touting their pick again. I would hazard to guess that this is a common lesson.

rokitman
07-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Hmmm, bet a loudmouth's 2/1 favorite instead of your 26/1 shot and then let a woman spend the rest of your money...are you a mechanic in Nantucket, Massachussetts?

Imriledup
07-27-2009, 05:12 PM
When i was younger and loved a horse (before the days of simulcasting) i'd have a buddy stand hear the 50/100 dollar windows and i would have him ask me "who was that tip you got again?" Then, i would proceed to tell him, loudly, about a tip i got from an owner/trainer. Of course, the 'tip' was some horse i wasn't planning on betting.

Those days are long gone, too much money comes in from simulcasting to even make this worthwhile.

Ron
07-29-2009, 12:08 AM

I think group handicapping sessions are great. Make the best of them.