PDA

View Full Version : TVG Top 10 Of Last Decade

Relwob Owner
07-24-2009, 09:32 PM
As part of their 10 year anniversary special, TVG did a "Top 10 Horses of The Last Decade". What Do You Think???????

1. Ghostzapper
2. Tiznow
3. Dubai Millenium
4. Azeri
5. Invasor
6. Curlin
7. Zenyatta
8. Lava Man
9. Deep Impact
10.Be a Bono(Quarterhorse)

slew101
07-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Invasor would be my No. 1, with Tiznow second.

Relwob Owner
07-24-2009, 10:42 PM
Invasor would be my No. 1, with Tiznow second.

I had a bunch of question marks with it and Azeri over Invasor was probably tops.....

the little guy
07-24-2009, 10:54 PM
It's possible, though unlikely, that if Ghostzapper won eased up enough that Invasor could have come within four lengths of him.....at any distance.

ryesteve
07-24-2009, 11:02 PM
8. Lava ManI'd have liked to have seen him lift a hoof outside of california before including him on a list like this...

Relwob Owner
07-24-2009, 11:03 PM
It's possible, though unlikely, that if Ghostzapper won eased up enough that Invasor could have come within four lengths of him.....at any distance.

What do you think of Azeri's spot? I know she accomplished a lot and was a very good horse but that one definitely stood out the most in terms of being off.....

Marlin
07-24-2009, 11:07 PM
It's possible, though unlikely, that if Ghostzapper won eased up enough that Invasor could have come within four lengths of him.....at any distance.It's possible, though unlikely, that if Dubai Millenium won eased up enough that Ghostzapper could have come within four lengths of him.....at any distance

sandpit
07-24-2009, 11:48 PM
I would have put Cesario on the list...she was the most impressive horse, male or female, I've seen in a long time. If anybody was lucky enough to see her in person, her stature was mindboggling. It's too bad she got hurt, because a return to the states for the BC and a victory there would have cemented her as one of the greats.

Imriledup
07-25-2009, 12:05 AM
As part of their 10 year anniversary special, TVG did a "Top 10 Horses of The Last Decade". What Do You Think???????

1. Ghostzapper
2. Tiznow
3. Dubai Millenium
4. Azeri
5. Invasor
6. Curlin
7. Zenyatta
8. Lava Man
9. Deep Impact

Be a bono? :bang:

the little guy
07-25-2009, 12:09 AM
What do you think of Azeri's spot? I know she accomplished a lot and was a very good horse but that one definitely stood out the most in terms of being off.....

She was a really nice horse, though probably not one of the top ten of the decade, but I would have to think about it. Maybe she is one of the top ten names of the decade.

Comparing dirt and turf horses is very hard, so comparing her to, say, Zarkava, is basically impossible. However, to deviate from Azeri, putting Deep Impact on the list thus seems ridiculous. Galileo, for instance, would likely have cleaned his clock.

the little guy
07-25-2009, 12:12 AM
It's possible, though unlikely, that if Dubai Millenium won eased up enough that Ghostzapper could have come within four lengths of him.....at any distance

He won one dirt race, in Dubai, where Godolphin horses run very well. He was a wonderful horse, no doubt, but impossible to compare to Ghostzapper. However, the likelihood that he would have beaten Ghostzapper in his Vosburgh seems close to nil.

Invasor and Ghostzapper are easily compared.....and Ghostzapper was a lot better ( no disgrace ). Dubai Millenium sadly can't be fairly compared. He was pretty damn good, however, any way you look at it. Taken at face value, his World Cup was one of the most awe inspiring races I have ever seen. So was Ghostzapper's Vosburgh.

the little guy
07-25-2009, 12:14 AM
I would have put Cesario on the list...she was the most impressive horse, male or female, I've seen in a long time. If anybody was lucky enough to see her in person, her stature was mindboggling. It's too bad she got hurt, because a return to the states for the BC and a victory there would have cemented her as one of the greats.

Many horses have run one great race.....but that doesn't make them great.

She may have been a true superstar but there is no way to legitimately judge her. It's too bad.

the little guy
07-25-2009, 12:16 AM
Here's another one, Giants Causeway. If Tiznow was really second best, and maybe he was, how can Giants Causeway not be up there as well? Couple his Classic with his record in Europe and he is certainly one of the ten best of the decade.

What about Rock of Gibralter?

PaceAdvantage
07-25-2009, 12:48 AM
To make this list, did a horse actually have to appear on TVG at least once in a race they covered live?

That might explain Deep Impact, as the Japan Cup has been prominently featured on TVG.

the little guy
07-25-2009, 12:51 AM
To make this list, did a horse actually have to appear on TVG at least once in a race they covered live?

That might explain Deep Impact, as the Japan Cup has been prominently featured on TVG.

Makes sense.

I guess that also helps explain Zenyatta and Lava Man. But, wouldn't they have shown the St. James Palace from Royal Ascot, so Giants Causeway ( and Rock of Gibralter ) would qualify. But, I guess they weren't as good as Lava Man and Zenyatta.

PaceAdvantage
07-25-2009, 12:53 AM
I guess that also helps explain Zenyatta and Lava Man.Them too....Lava Man basically owned TVG for a while...

cj
07-25-2009, 12:57 AM
Makes sense.

I guess that also helps explain Zenyatta and Lava Man. But, wouldn't they have shown the St. James Palace from Royal Ascot, so Giants Causeway ( and Rock of Gibralter ) would qualify. But, I guess they weren't as good as Lava Man and Zenyatta.

Rachel Alexandra should be on there. TLG will hate this, but Smarty Jones should too.

redshift1
07-25-2009, 01:10 AM
Ghostzapper was the most impressive I've seen. I can't recall seeing Dubai Millenium what race was shown on TVG anyone remember.

the little guy
07-25-2009, 01:14 AM
Ghostzapper was the most impressive I've seen. I can't recall seeing Dubai Millenium what race was shown on TVG anyone remember.

If not the World Cup then probably the Prince of Wales.

the little guy
07-25-2009, 01:15 AM
Rachel Alexandra should be on there. TLG will hate this, but Smarty Jones should too.

Drunken posting I assume?

cj
07-25-2009, 01:31 AM

I take the 5th. But come on, Zenyatta? Lava Man? Deep Impact? He'd be on before them. It hasn't been a great decade.

the little guy
07-25-2009, 01:38 AM
I take the 5th. But come on, Zenyatta? Lava Man? Deep Impact? He'd be on before them. It hasn't been a great decade.

He was better than them. So was Point Given.

samyn on the green
07-25-2009, 02:11 AM
Did Smarty Jones ever race on TVG? Did they carry Oaklawn in 2004? The only SJ race they may have caught was the whirlaway from the Big-A. I think the horse had to appear on TVG to make the list.

ArlJim78
07-25-2009, 02:16 AM
I'm confused. Wasn't the TVG consensus that Big Brown was one of the alltime greats, up there with Secretariat, or higher?

Bruddah
07-25-2009, 06:36 AM
I'm confused. Wasn't the TVG consensus that Big Brown was one of the alltime greats, up there with Secretariat, or higher?

Big Brown...in the top ten? You gotta be joking! He's not worthy to carry the saddle blankets of some of those mentioned. :ThmbDown:

It just shows that the TVG crew doesn't know sh*t from Shinola about race horses. :lol:

DrugS
07-25-2009, 06:51 AM
I'm sure he was joking.

Frank Lyons made some statements about Big Brown's greatness that were beyond absurd.

If he wasn't connected with IEAH Stables ... the comments would have been monumentally laughable.

DrugS
07-25-2009, 06:56 AM
Azeri - during her time in Southern California - was easily the all-time most celebrated TVG horse.

She was a very good talent with remarkable consistancy at a time when the rest of the division wasn't up to par numbers and form wise ... she was not even close to a once in a lifetime great though.

OTM Al
07-25-2009, 07:30 AM
Just to throw another one out there, what about Candy Ride? Short career in NA, but then Invasor didn't have a ton of races here either. He should have shown up on TVG I think

Relwob Owner
07-25-2009, 07:34 AM

It was the described as the "TVG Top 10 Horses of Our Decade, voted on by TVG researchers,producers and Racing analysts"....I guess you could infer that they have to have been on TVG and the list sure did reflect that, especially Be a Bono..... :eek:

I was pretty disappointed with the list, as it really showed a TVG bias and did leave out some very good horses....

DrugS
07-25-2009, 07:46 AM
How many famous horses from the decade were never shown on TVG?

I can't think of any to be honest.

Relwob Owner
07-25-2009, 08:15 AM
How many famous horses from the decade were never shown on TVG?

I can't think of any to be honest.

True....I guess a better assumption could be "focused on a lot by TVG" which would better explain Deep Impact and Be a Bono.....plus, it was The Lava Man Network during his run....

KingChas
07-25-2009, 08:19 AM

Where's Black Ruby? :D

DrugS
07-25-2009, 08:51 AM
True....I guess a better assumption could be "focused on a lot by TVG" which would better explain Deep Impact and Be a Bono.....plus, it was The Lava Man Network during his run....

Be A Bono was just them trying to be cute.

Deep Impact was an outstanding horse to say the very least.

I don't agree at all with the handsome dunk tank bound guy who said Galileo would have cleaned his clock.

Deep Impact had just two defeats in his career - he got beat a half length by the older Heart's Cry. In Heart's Cry's very next start, he dominated the $5,000,000 race on the Dubai World Cup card by more than 4 lengths.

His other defeat was when he was beaten less than a length in the Arc as the 1/2 favorite .. and he obviously didn't run his race that day. He came in off of a four month layoff, and was rank and on the lead. Very out of the ordinary for a horse who always would break slow and drop back deep in the pack.

Galileo traded decisions with Fantastic Light in his final two turf races.

The race in which Galileo beat Fantastic Light .. he got a 12lbs weight break going 12 furlongs.

That's almost a 6 length break in weight on Thoro-Graph and Ragozin's scales. The time Fantastic Light beat Galileo ... he only had to give him 7lbs going 10 furlongs .. which is about a 3 length break.

I'm not a big weight guy - but the weights in Europe are absurdly slanted to favor 3-year-olds over older horses. 3-year-olds have won 12 of the last 15 runnings of the Arc.

The same year that Fantastic Light and Galileo had those duels - a second tier horse from Japan named Stay Gold beat Fantastic Light by a nose on Dubai World Cup night.

spiketoo
07-25-2009, 10:42 AM
My Top 10:

1. Every channel on HPI TV
2. HRTV
3 - 99. Every reply show
100. TVGsucks.

So much for my counting.

Bochall
07-25-2009, 10:46 AM
The real question is: who gives a flying frig about TVG picking their top 10 horses of the decade? Really? So some moron put Invasor here instead of there, and Ghostzapper shoulda been ranked here.....as Elaine Benes put it; "yadda yadda yadda.":confused:

bane
07-25-2009, 10:57 AM
I had to ask who he was and everyone here looked at me like an idiot. I can't help it if a thoroughbred is the only real horses out here lmao

Marlin
07-25-2009, 11:19 AM
The real question is: who gives a flying frig about TVG picking their top 10 horses of the decade? Really? So some moron put Invasor here instead of there, and Ghostzapper shoulda been ranked here.....as Elaine Benes put it; "yadda yadda yadda.":confused:Of course it's yadda yadda yadda. But that doesn't make it fun. I would argue that Curlin was top three of this decade. Funny how the top horses on this list never were required to run on a synthetic surface. Would Tiznow have won two BCs in a row if one were on synthetic? Would Ghostzapper have won? Curlin is moved way down this list because of one poor effort on a surface he probably didn't like.

FenceBored
07-25-2009, 11:23 AM
No standardbreds? They show harness about every night. There hasn't been a trotter or pacer in the past ten years that could make the cut?

DrugS
07-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Of course it's yadda yadda yadda. But that doesn't make it fun. I would argue that Curlin was top three of this decade. Funny how the top horses on this list never were required to run on a synthetic surface. Would Tiznow have won two BCs in a row if one were on synthetic? Would Ghostzapper have won? Curlin is moved way down this list because of one poor effort on a surface he probably didn't like.

Curlin probably doesn't belong on the top 10 even if you draw a line through his bad synthetic race in the Classic

DanG
07-25-2009, 12:51 PM
If anything; Deep Impact is getting short changed at #9 imo. His 100+ layoff and WAY too close to the pace Arc should not define this truly great turf horse.

ALostTexan
07-25-2009, 02:43 PM
No standardbreds? They show harness about every night. There hasn't been a trotter or pacer in the past ten years that could make the cut?

I was shocked at this, too. TVG covered Somebeachsomewhere in alot of his races, and he was arguably the best pacer ever, yet he can't even get on the list that was obviously geared towards TVG-covered horses as Be a Bono was on the list.

I was a bit let down by this. Give the trotters and pacers at least a tiny bit of respect...

redshift1
07-25-2009, 02:51 PM
I was shocked at this, too. TVG covered Somebeachsomewhere in alot of his races, and he was arguably the best pacer ever, yet he can't even get on the list that was obviously geared towards TVG-covered horses as Be a Bono was on the list.

I was a bit let down by this. Give the trotters and pacers at least a tiny bit of respect...

Beach was very good, this year Well Said looks as good so far, impressive in Adios qualifier

Relwob Owner
07-25-2009, 03:23 PM

In hindsight, it may have made more sense to have categories....they would have pleased more people and covered a broader spectrum of fans

11cashcall
07-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Dubai Millenium
Curlin
Invasor

joanied
07-25-2009, 04:26 PM

I've been so busy :mad: ....I'm late with this cool thread...PA...glad to see you mention this...because you are correct...TVG did this list for their Top 10...horses that they covered on TVG :)

I watched the anniversary show and with an exception here & there...thought it was really well done...
I don't think we can really judge their list...because these are their favorite horses, and you can't give an opinion on which one's should be above others...
but, just for fun, why not? (I love this kinda stuff)
Tiznow
Ghostzapper
Azeri
Invasor
Zenyatta
Curlin
Lava Man
Dubia Mil
Deep Impact?
Be a Bono...with the QH's, unless they never covered him...Refrigerator!
:)

joanied
07-25-2009, 04:35 PM
The real question is: who gives a flying frig about TVG picking their top 10 horses of the decade? Really? So some moron put Invasor here instead of there, and Ghostzapper shoulda been ranked here.....as Elaine Benes put it; "yadda yadda yadda.":confused:

geeze...it's all in good fun :jump: just like the entire show was meant to be fun...yadda, yadda, yadda:)

joanied
07-25-2009, 04:39 PM
In hindsight, it may have made more sense to have categories....they would have pleased more people and covered a broader spectrum of fans

Bet if they'd known their list would turn out so popular...maybe they would have.
But, ya you what they say Relwob..."you can't please all of the people"....
:) :) :)

ghostyapper
07-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Curlin probably doesn't belong on the top 10 even if you draw a line through his bad synthetic race in the Classic

Curlin absolutely belongs on the list. He dominated the best BC field of the decade and racked up another 6 G1's

ghostyapper
07-25-2009, 04:46 PM

If you say smarty should be on there then how can you leave off afleet alex?

Relwob Owner
07-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Bet if they'd known their list would turn out so popular...maybe they would have.
But, ya you what they say Relwob..."you can't please all of the people"....
:) :) :)

You got that right Joanie.....that seems to be the challenge TVG faces in terms of pleasing the hard core people and the casual fans. I thought the special was good but the list should have been called "TVG's favorite horses" instead of "TVG's Top 10" because the rankings were a bit strange overall....

ezrabrooks
07-25-2009, 05:26 PM
I've been so busy :mad: ....I'm late with this cool thread...PA...glad to see you mention this...because you are correct...TVG did this list for their Top 10...horses that they covered on TVG :)

I watched the anniversary show and with an exception here & there...thought it was really well done...
I don't think we can really judge their list...because these are their favorite horses, and you can't give an opinion on which one's should be above others...
but, just for fun, why not? (I love this kinda stuff)
Tiznow
Ghostzapper
Azeri
Invasor
Zenyatta
Curlin
Lava Man
Dubia Mil
Deep Impact?
Be a Bono...with the QH's, unless they never covered him...Refrigerator!
:)

Joan...Refrigerator was a great running quarter horse...but, I don't think he made into this decade..

Ez

cj
07-25-2009, 05:48 PM
If you say smarty should be on there then how can you leave off afleet alex?

Easily actually. He lost one race in his career with a horrible trip by a half length. He also ran faster than Afleet Alex did. If that isn't enough, the topper is that Afleet Alex lost to Giacomo.

MickJ26
07-25-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm surprised Zenyatta, Lava Man and Azeri aren't 1,2,3.
I'm surprised they included any non-Hollywood based horses at all.
I'm surprised their top 10 didn't include 5 Hollywood horses and 5 Los Al horses.
Other than Keeneland, horse racing doesn't exist east of the Nevada state line.

MickJ26
07-25-2009, 06:22 PM
By watching their silly little anniversary show, you'd think Todd Schrupp was their only on-air talent.

DrugS
07-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Curlin absolutely belongs on the list. He dominated the best BC field of the decade and racked up another 6 G1's

Only a moron would think the '07 Classic field was the best BC field of the decade...

or maybe just someone who started following racing two years ago. Which is it?

Hard Spun and Awesome Gem ran 2nd and 3rd in the race...and the also runs were mostly a collection of overrated horses.

Ghostzapper, Tiznow, Candy Ride, Mineshaft were all vastly superior horses.

Curlin ran a Beyer of 115 or more just one time in his entire career - Congaree managed to do it 8 different times. Medaglia D' Oro did it 5 times. Left Bank did it 4 times - Captain Steve did it 4 times - Skimming did it 3 times. Albert The Great ran a 114 or more 7 different times. Bernardini averaged a 115 Beyer over all 5 of his career route races. Street Cry dominated the Dubai World Cup and ran a 118 and 119 in his next two.

Curlin belongs in the mix with those type of horses - and others like Saint Liam, Invasor, Pleasantly Perfect, Lemon Drop Kid, Lava Man, Point Given, Roses In May, Smarty Jones ... the kind of horses you'd think about for positions five through ten.

And those are just American dirt males from the last decade.

OTM Al
07-25-2009, 06:55 PM
I'd put a vote in for Ouija Board as well....

ghostyapper
07-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Easily actually. He lost one race in his career with a horrible trip by a half length. He also ran faster than Afleet Alex did. If that isn't enough, the topper is that Afleet Alex lost to Giacomo.

It's easy to maintain a perfect record when you're racing against penn breds as a 2yo.

Afleet alex ran in the hopeful, champagne, bc as a 2yo. Does smarty still only lose once if he runs those races a 2yo?

If alex had a clear path to make his patented run around the turn in the derby he wins that race by 5 and the triple crown.

But I guess it's just easier to say he lost to giacomo :D

ghostyapper
07-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Only a moron would think the '07 Classic field was the best BC field of the decade...

or maybe just someone who started following racing two years ago. Which is it?

Hard Spun and Awesome Gem ran 2nd and 3rd in the race...and the also runs were mostly a collection of overrated horses.

Ghostzapper, Tiznow, Candy Ride, Mineshaft were all vastly superior horses.

Curlin ran a Beyer of 115 or more just one time in his entire career - Congaree managed to do it 8 different times. Medaglia D' Oro did it 5 times. Left Bank did it 4 times - Captain Steve did it 4 times - Skimming did it 3 times. Albert The Great ran a 114 or more 7 different times. Bernardini averaged a 115 Beyer over all 5 of his career route races. Street Cry dominated the Dubai World Cup and ran a 118 and 119 in his next two.

Curlin belongs in the mix with those type of horses - and others like Saint Liam, Invasor, Pleasantly Perfect, Lemon Drop Kid, Lava Man, Point Given, Roses In May, Smarty Jones ... the kind of horses you'd think about for positions five through ten.

And those are just American dirt males from the last decade.

Looks like we have another genius here. It seems you didn't even follow racing even 2 years ago because all you did was list the 2nd and 3rd finishes of the race, proving you don't have a clue how deep and talented that field was.

Any given saturday, Street Sense, Lawyer Ron, Hard Spun. Find me another BC field as talented as that one in the last ten years.

Ignoring the fact that Beyers cannot and should not be used to judge horses from different years, Curlin's Dubai race might have been the best race of his career. But since beyers are not recorded in dubai I guess we have to ignore it. Clueless

Marshall Bennett
07-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Invasor & Ghostzapper . Put all the others in whatever order you want , including Big Brown . :)

tribecaagent
07-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Any given saturday, Street Sense, Lawyer Ron, Hard Spun. Find me another BC field as talented as that one in the last ten years.

Ignoring the fact that Beyers cannot and should not be used to judge horses from different years, Curlin's Dubai race might have been the best race of his career. But since beyers are not recorded in dubai I guess we have to ignore it. Clueless

You can't be serious....

Let me run down the exact order of finish for the 1998 Classic at Churchill:

1. Awesome Again
2. Silver Charm
3. Swain
4. Victory Gallop
5. Coronado's Quest
6. Skip Away
7. Running Stag
8. Touch Gold
9. Arch
10. Gentlemen

From top to bottom this was the deepest, most talented BC Classic EVER....

ghostyapper
07-25-2009, 08:21 PM
You can't be serious....

Let me run down the exact order of finish for the 1998 Classic at Churchill:

1. Awesome Again
2. Silver Charm
3. Swain
4. Victory Gallop
5. Coronado's Quest
6. Skip Away
7. Running Stag
8. Touch Gold
9. Arch
10. Gentlemen

From top to bottom this was the deepest, most talented BC Classic EVER....

I said the last ten years meaning since 99. The 98 field was the best field ever

Tee
07-25-2009, 08:37 PM
How bout 2000?

1. Tiznow
2. Giant's Causeway
3. Captain Steve
4. Albert the Great
5. Lemon Drop Kid
6. Fusaichi Pegasus
7. Cat Thief
8. Vision and Verse
9. Gander
10. Pine Dance
11. Dust On the Bottle
12. Guided Tour
13. Golden Missile

bisket
07-25-2009, 10:44 PM
this top 10 list only reinforces my opinion that the breed has gone to *$#&

DrugS
07-26-2009, 02:57 AM
I said the last ten years meaning since 99.

2007's field was laughably slow and overrated. But hey, that Awesome Gem sure was a monster.

The deepest fields were either the '00 field or '04 field

2004 was probably the deepest with Ghostzapper, Roses In May, Pleasantly Perfect, Birdstone, Azeri, Funny Cide, Perfect Drift, and Dynever.

2000 had Tiznow, Giant's Causeway, Captain Steve, Albert The Great, Lemon Drop Kid, Fusaichi Pegasus, Cat Thief, Golden Missile, Vision and Verse, Guided Tour.

2003 had Pleasantly Perfect, Medaglia D' Oro, Congaree, Dynever, Hold That Tiger, Perfect Drift, Volponi, Ten Most Wanted, Funny Cide, and Evening Attire.

DrugS
07-26-2009, 03:11 AM

What was so talented about Any Given Saturday? He came into that years race with a 103 Beyer win over Tasteyville in his most recent start. All 3 of his lifetime Graded Stake wins came within a 2.5 month span in the summer of '07 when he got hot for two races.

What was so great about Street Sense? He came into that years race with Beyers of 107, 108, and 105 in his three most recent starts. Including two narrow wins over plugs like CP West and Grasshopper.

Lawyer Ron? Another Pletcher horse who got red hot in the summer like Any Given Saturday did - and basically shit the bed. He got beat by Gotcha Gold at 1/20 odds in the Salvator Mile at Monmouth four months before the Classic. He was 9th beaten 16 lengths at 20/1 odds to Invasor in the previous years Classic.

Hard Spun? He was 0-for-5 lifetime in Grade 1 stake race beyond 7 furlongs - and his career best Beyer was a 109 coming into the race. But hey, at least he managed to beat Awesome Gem .. unlike the others you mentioned.

DrugS
07-26-2009, 03:18 AM
If that isn't enough, the topper is that Afleet Alex lost to Giacomo.

Losing to a fine consistant grinder like Giacomo was no great disgrace considering the way that race was run...

The bigger crime against Afleet Alex would be for not beating Closing Argument - considering Closing Argument was just 2 lengths off of that 22.28 first quarter ... and was the 20th choice in the betting because he had a bad case of the sucks.

PaceAdvantage
07-26-2009, 03:36 AM
he had a bad case of the sucks.I laughed.

ghostyapper
07-26-2009, 10:25 AM
What was so talented about Any Given Saturday? He came into that years race with a 103 Beyer win over Tasteyville in his most recent start. All 3 of his lifetime Graded Stake wins came within a 2.5 month span in the summer of '07 when he got hot for two races.

What was so great about Street Sense? He came into that years race with Beyers of 107, 108, and 105 in his three most recent starts. Including two narrow wins over plugs like CP West and Grasshopper.

Lawyer Ron? Another Pletcher horse who got red hot in the summer like Any Given Saturday did - and basically shit the bed. He got beat by Gotcha Gold at 1/20 odds in the Salvator Mile at Monmouth four months before the Classic. He was 9th beaten 16 lengths at 20/1 odds to Invasor in the previous years Classic.

Hard Spun? He was 0-for-5 lifetime in Grade 1 stake race beyond 7 furlongs - and his career best Beyer was a 109 coming into the race. But hey, at least he managed to beat Awesome Gem .. unlike the others you mentioned.

Can you at least show an ounce of objectivity? I can go through those fields you mentioned as stronger and mindlessly bash each horse like you are doing here.

All you have to say about lawyer ron is his salvator and 06 bc defeats? How bout that he was coming into the race off 3 straight 114+ beyers, including the whitney where he destroyed the track record. The raw beyer came back at 125+ but they artificially lowered it.

It's amazing how you can be so hypocritical in 1 post

Any Given Saturday's only Graded stakes wins came in a 2.5 month span? Gee I would think that would be a positive considering those were his races heading into the classic. So those races we shouldn't care about but we should only care about street sense's 3 races heading into the classic, not what he did in the spring???

And keep in mind that in discussing the 07 classic field we are not even including the best horse in the field, Curlin.

Like I said this MINDLESS bashing can be done with each horse in any other field you want to say is better. Some of the horses you listed in the 03, 04, or 2000 fields just goes to show how clueless you are when you start nitpicking the 07 field.

DrugS
07-26-2009, 11:01 AM
The Pletcher horses you speak so highly of ... the great Lawyer Ron and the great Any Given Saturday .. they both finished 20 lengths behind the immortal Awesome Gem in that race.

Even if they were as good as you pretend ... they both did not show up.

Grits
07-26-2009, 11:28 AM

1. Ghostzapper
2. Tiznow
3. Dubai Millenium
4. Azeri
5. Invasor
6. Curlin
7. Zenyatta
8. Lava Man
9. Deep Impact

If one were to total the starts among these horses listed in this Top Ten of the Last Decade, what would the average number of starts be among the ten? If one were to total their number of years racing, again, what would the average number be among the ten?

I believe Perfect Drift would put several of these in the shade.

We complain so about the poor amount of time horses spend in racing.

Drift was the consummate racehorse; gelding or not. Certainly one for the last decade.

Notso
07-26-2009, 11:37 AM
BARBARO is above all ... he's in heaven

andtheyreoff
06-05-2010, 08:44 PM

1. Ghostzapper
2. Tiznow
3. Dubai Millenium
4. Azeri
5. Invasor
6. Curlin
7. Zenyatta
8. Lava Man
9. Deep Impact

If this list was being done now, no doubt that Zenyatta would have occupied at least the top 3 spots on this list.

Stillriledup
06-05-2010, 08:53 PM
If this list was being done now, no doubt that Zenyatta would have occupied at least the top 3 spots on this list.

Yes, and a few more Quarter horses too.

Jasonm921
06-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Lava Man should be taken off and Invasor should be moved to 3.