PDA

View Full Version : Racing and our dad's (and moms and grandparents)

jballscalls
07-24-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm really excited to go to Emerald Downs tonight as they have been nice enough to name tonight's 6th race in my fathers honor, The Mark Beem Memorial Purse. 8 years ago today he passed away from Melanoma cancer and while time does heal all wounds, those wounds still leave a scar.

Today I think about my dad, and how he introduced me to this great sport. How took me out every sunday to Longacres. My mom would give me $20 bucks each week so i could bet $2 a race. My dad would take the $20 and would keep track of my bets because certainly at age 7, 8, or even 12 couldnt go bet. I found out once when i hit a big longshot, i asked for my money and he said "i'll get it you on wednesday" that he had just always booked my action and pocketed the $20. :) He took me to the backstretch and let me sit on a horse with a whip and helmet on because being a jockey was always my dream. After the races, i'd ride my bike around the neighborhood whipping it like a horse and recalling the races Gary Henson had called earlier that day. My dad would just shake his head at his horse racing crazy kid.

I know so many of us here on this board and in racing in general were introduced to the sport because of our fathers, or our mothers or other relatives. It's days like today that i'm reminded how special this game is to me, to all of us, and how so many of my best memories are at the track, with friends, family, and my dad.

Sometimes i'd give everything up, just to spend one more day, sitting on dad's shoulders, peering over the rail at Longacres, and watching the great game.

46zilzal
07-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Do Dah Do Dah...One of the best hometown race tracks I have EVER been to. Was there closing day to watch Gary Stevens ride one home for his dad.

Has there ever been a crazier jockey than old Jody Davidson?

Tom
07-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Cool!
Congrats, JB! :ThmbUp:

46zilzal
07-24-2009, 02:21 PM
My father suffered a heart attack in the 70's and while recuperating I took him to a week day card at Hollywood. As he looked around at a crowd of over 20,000 he asked:"Where do all these people work?"..."the don't Dad."

DeanT
07-24-2009, 02:25 PM
That is a wonderful post. I am reticent to say "have a good day remembering your dad" as no doubt it will be melancholy, but I do hope you have a nice day. If you bet the race and win a photo, you will know why :)

joanied
07-24-2009, 03:24 PM
JB...
Very nice post and a wonderful tribute to your dad...I'm betting he'll be watching over you at the windows...and maybe give one of the longshots you bet a little push at the wire:)

andymays
07-24-2009, 03:32 PM
I went up to Emerald Downs a few years ago and liked it.

They have a lot of class to name a race after your Dad and I'm sure your Dad had a lot of class as well.

The Mark Beem Memorial Purse :ThmbUp:

bisket
07-24-2009, 04:02 PM
i'm sure this will be a memorable day at the track for you. the 20$ story is how i started in the game. except it was my grandfather and my uncle. we would sit in the grandstand and discuss: who do you like and why? why is always the most important thing to me. i hate discussing the races with someone who makes it into a contest. handicapping is like baseball: if your hitting 300 or better your having a great time at the track, and its not costing you anything. why means your exchanging information, and this always makes the game fun. when looking at the pps i always am cognizant of the fact that i missed something. this is the only way figure this out, and is immensely important when handicapping

jballscalls
07-25-2009, 12:29 AM
The race went great, there were lots of friends and family who came out for the evening. My grandma even came out and yelled at me for playing a $1 exacta box with three horse LOL She was actually in a pretty good mood, this is a hard day for her, no one should ever have to lose a child.