PDA

View Full Version : what are the first things you look for when looking at a horse's pps

bisket
07-23-2009, 10:09 PM
for me its class and distance.

andymays
07-23-2009, 10:15 PM
You start with the workouts since raced and then work your way upward. Let the Horses running lines tell you a story that ends with how that Horse will do in the next race it runs!

Horseplayersbet.com
07-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Normally, what I do first is put my speed figures down.
Then I look for distance for distance or surface for surface.
Recency. Weight if it is route race. And then jockeys and trainers.

CincyHorseplayer
07-23-2009, 10:19 PM
I look at it 's whole last 10 race history to see where it's at,where it's been,and what type of personality the horse displays in the running lines.Just a short mini-history so to speak.

LottaKash
07-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Pace ratings, call by call, vs. where he is in it's form cycle (improving, regressing, staying the same), and hopefully, this will detemine if this horse is fast and fit enough to invesitgate further...

best,

Robert Fischer
07-23-2009, 11:14 PM
literally?

let me see

1. distance and class/name, surface of the race
2. track configuration
3. names and odds of horses scrolling down also looking at number of horses in field
4. going back to the long odds horses and now a glance back at the class name of the race, and now a glance at the trainer and the runningline/racing history of the horse... I am making a decision about whether or not I will even consider this entry. Yes I happen to in this case...

5. Now I am starting with the ML favorite. I glance at race history and date of last race. I note that the surface is different and check today's race class/surface
6. now watching video for that date
7. repeat for each horse from low to high odds

those are the first things I am looking at

Bettowin
07-23-2009, 11:41 PM
I don't focus on one particular thing when I first look at a horse's pp's. Don't we all look at the overall picture first? Date of last race, where the horse has been running, class and running lines are something my eye catches all at once. Gives me a basic opinion if the horse fits here or not.

Then................ the fun begins:)

Robert Goren
07-24-2009, 12:22 AM
Finishes. If I see a bunch of 7s,8s and 9s in last several races I move on to the next horse.

positive4th
07-24-2009, 12:26 AM
You start with the workouts since raced and then work your way upward. Let the Horses running lines tell you a story that ends with how that Horse will do in the next race it runs!

Amen to that.....although I'd add that after a layoff, I kind of start a new chapter in the story and am more likely to downgrade what seems like a confused agenda (many distances, tracks, surfaces) in the recent performances......just doesn't seem like they're setting up for anything specific, so I'll generally pass

KingChas
07-24-2009, 12:30 AM
The thing a lot of newcomers and some old timers :eek: bypass is at the top of the page.
The key is learning how to read the conditions for the race,and read it all,it's the hated instruction book.
Then proceed to the PP's.
Not every race is the Kentucky Derby.

dav4463
07-24-2009, 12:32 AM
First thing I look at is the date of today's racing form and the post time.

I still remember picking a whole bunch of winners at Lone Star for the races one Saturday......problem was.....I went on Sunday!

Also, remember picking some good ones at another track who usually runs at night and then got to the track and found that they ran day races that day! :)

KingChas
07-24-2009, 12:46 AM
First thing I look at is the date of today's racing form :)

Put that above looking at the conditions first! :lol:
Of course I hope you don't purchase advance editions. :lol:

cmoore
07-24-2009, 12:48 AM
Pace ratings, call by call, vs. where he is in it's form cycle (improving, regressing, staying the same), and hopefully, this will detemine if this horse is fast and fit enough to invesitgate further...

best,

We handicap alike LottaKash...But I do one thing before I look at pace ratings. Maidens are my game and I circle and make notes on all the sires that have proven to have an edge in a certain category..For example in sprint maiden races 6 furlongs or less..Sires like Wild Gold, Zavata, In Excess, Forest Wildcat, Houstebuster are just a handfull. In turf sprint races, Concorde's Tune runners should spark more interest then others..Sires that have produced the most turf winners in the last 3 years are Unusual Heat, Stormy Atlantic, Grand Slam and More Then Ready.

cmoore
07-24-2009, 12:57 AM
We handicap alike LottaKash...But I do one thing before I look at pace ratings. Maidens are my game and I circle and make notes on all the sires that have proven to have an edge in a certain category..For example in sprint maiden races 6 furlongs or less..Sires like Wild Gold, Zavata, In Excess, Forest Wildcat, Houstebuster are just a handfull. In turf sprint races, Concorde's Tune runners should spark more interest then others..Sires that have produced the most turf winners in the last 3 years are Unusual Heat, Stormy Atlantic, Grand Slam and More Then Ready.

I forgot a few turf sires..Giants Causeway, Dynaformer, Royal Academy and Smart Strike..

JustRalph
07-24-2009, 12:59 AM
people still use PP's?

KingChas
07-24-2009, 01:09 AM
people still use PP's?

Every morning.
And once a month! :liar:
:lol:

hdcper
07-24-2009, 01:10 AM
Well Ralph I am with you, but personally I am glad they still do!!!!

coach_lowe
07-24-2009, 02:06 AM
I start with the oldest performance then move to the more recent performance. When I read a book, I start at the beginning, not the other way around. A horse's past performance is a story that's being told.

kenwoodallpromos
07-24-2009, 03:10 AM
The whole lines of wins and close up finishes, to see if anything stands out (As similar to today's race).

redeye007
07-24-2009, 06:17 AM
when reading the racing form I try to find a horse that outclasses the field. I'll check distance , weights, condition, jockey, etc. As Tom Ainslie states in his book" the nearest thing to a cinch at any track is a sharply conditioned horse of substansial class, when entered at a suitable distance against inferior animals." If such a class horse can be found in the race, go with it-every time. :)

Hajck Hillstrom
07-24-2009, 06:28 AM
The conditions.

Overlay
07-24-2009, 06:53 AM
In order: race conditions, running styles, running lines, consistency, connections, speed figures, post position, and (last but by no means least) today's odds.

LottaKash
07-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Well Ralph I am with you, but personally I am glad they still do!!!!

Hdcper, I see you have 4-exclamation points on your "still do"....I smiled a bit when I saw that...It seems you have foound the "pot of gold" using J-cappper...I am glad for you.....Still, there are many paths that lead to the "black ink" that we all seek....

For me personally, I like using the past performances vs. a stricter and more structured, numbers based approach....Each horse has it's story to tell, and with the proper deciphering of each and every running line and it's relevant particulars of a horse, will often enough, lead to the truth about what a "trainer's intentions on raceday" may be....I can't or don't get quite the same feel for a race, by just looking at numbers....I might say that by primarily using the past performances, is more like a "holistic" approach to handicapping. vs. a more "clinical" way, by primarily, using computer based technology....If that makes any sense ?....Each has it strengths and weaknesses, and decisions must still be made, in any case....

The bottom line is, $$$$....-*note (4-dollar signs)

Good "further" Luck on your road to the "Life of Luxury".....:jump:

best,

salty
07-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Conditions
horses' prior races at surfce and distance
look through their useual running style
post positions
never forget to check the horses' age
trainer and jockey

If the Horse is trying something very new then i look at every single peice of information in its pp's for some kind of hint of what will happen. Sometimes it just takes a certain trainer though and i can bypass scrutinizing everything.

illinoisbred
07-24-2009, 01:14 PM
I tend to concentrate on 3 and 4 year olds.Il look for improving form cycles and how they are coming around after layoffs of 90 days and up.I always would rather be a race early on a horse than a race too late.Also,i|ve found that Ragozin"s explosive theory works fairly well with my own manufactured figures.However,none of this seems to work with older horses.It seems once they begin to look good,it"s already too late.

illinoisbred
07-24-2009, 01:33 PM
I"d also like to add that I try to keep in mind what the late,great Charlie Whittingham once said about horses; "horses are like strawberries,they can go bad overnight".This forces me to remember that this is an always flowing,everchanging,dynamic game.

fmolf
07-24-2009, 01:38 PM
after reading the race conditions twice. I start at the bottom and with a highlighter color all races won in green.Then all races very competitive in yellow(up close within 1 length of the winner).Then i look again at the story that the horses past is telling me.I look for certain patterns and competition faced effectively.then i look at speed figures to determine if horse can win todays race vs todays competition.

DJofSD
07-24-2009, 01:40 PM
When I'm actually looking at the PPs (after looking at the conditions of the race, mainly distance and surface), the very first thing I look to see is if the maiden win is showing.

SoCalCircuit
07-24-2009, 02:32 PM
the date of last race...anything over 3 months I probably won't play unless I'm given very good reason to, anything over 6 months I won't play unless it's Zenyatta, anything coming from Dubai I won't play at all

bisket
07-24-2009, 02:53 PM
lots of good posts and suggestions. i always look at conditions. particularly starter allowance,and claimers. always want to see if its a state bred race also. allowance races i want to know if its non winners of... and if victories in claiming races are excluded from conditions. the fine print always yields the best bets :ThmbUp: . i heard the phrase "form cycle" i'm a big believer in that i posted on another thread that most people aren't aware for most sprinters first 2 off the bench are usually top performances. after 2 wins the horse will finish up the track; most times as a heavy fav :ThmbUp:
what i look at is what horse or horses match best with the class and distance of the race, and then i try to beat that runner. if i can't beat that runner alot of times i pass on that race because that horse will favored heavily and will be one of the times the public is correct.

bisket
07-24-2009, 03:42 PM
ainslie's book i think it was titled "the winning horseplayer" is pretty much my style of handicapping. i would suggest anyone starting in the handicapping game to read that book. i know theres lots "new" ways to pick the ponies with all the computer prgrams, but i'd suggest anyone that uses those to read ainslie. it will give you a good foundation that will only enhance your understanding of the game.

Overlay
07-24-2009, 06:15 PM
ainslie's book i think it was titled "the winning horseplayer" is pretty much my style of handicapping.

That was one of Andy Beyer's books. Ainslie wrote The Compleat Horseplayer (among others).

bisket
07-24-2009, 07:26 PM
That was one of Andy Beyer's books. Ainslie wrote The Compleat Horseplayer (among others).
one thing you'll have to have some patience with the bisket with is i totally butcher names. whether its a person, horse, or the name of a book. thanks for the assistance. i think alot of people handicapp strictly by the numbers, and miss some basics that the numbers can't cover, and ainsie's book covers much of that. beyer is a numbers man, with alot of horse sense also. i respect his opinions. ainslie was'nt actually the authors name though, that was his pen name for his horseracing books. if i remember correctly ainslie was a succesful author on other subject matter also. maybe some one could fill us in. he passed away a year or two ago.

Overlay
07-24-2009, 07:51 PM
That was Richard Carter, whose passing on September 1, 2007, at the age of 89 was noted here on PA, and who also wrote or co-wrote several titles on subjects other than handicapping, including a biography of Jonas Salk, and an account of Curt Flood's fight against baseball's reserve clause.

I just wanted to be sure that people would be directed to the reference that I thought you meant. Thanks for your understanding.

nobeyerspls
07-25-2009, 09:40 AM
It depends on the race condition so that is the first screen. After that:

Maidens - look for 2nd lifetime start and or favorable surface change. Especially if 1st race was from the one hole.
Fillies sprinting - check for recency looking for one that has been freshened.
NW2L - Want to see where and how they broke their maiden. Also how many failed attempts at this category.
Turf maidens - broodmare sire if 1st time turf.
Two turn races - looking for uncontested speed.
Open claiming older males sprinting - looking for long to short.
Horses shipping in - this is track to track specific. Synthetic to dirt can be productive.
Within all the above I look at workouts and changes of equipment.

Things not looked at - jockeys, weights, beyer speed figures. A few exceptions with the first two cited.

Mike A
07-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Before I look at the date...I make sure I'm looking at a copy of the Racing Form and not, say, the Wall Street Journal.

bisket
07-25-2009, 11:33 AM
It depends on the race condition so that is the first screen. After that:

Maidens - look for 2nd lifetime start and or favorable surface change. Especially if 1st race was from the one hole.
Fillies sprinting - check for recency looking for one that has been freshened.
NW2L - Want to see where and how they broke their maiden. Also how many failed attempts at this category.
Turf maidens - broodmare sire if 1st time turf.
Two turn races - looking for uncontested speed.
Open claiming older males sprinting - looking for long to short.
Horses shipping in - this is track to track specific. Synthetic to dirt can be productive.
Within all the above I look at workouts and changes of equipment.
one thing i look at and give lots of weight in a decision in a nonwinners of 2 is did any horses who finished 2nd and 3rd in the horse's maiden victory win next out. there's strong maiden fields and weak ones. this is a really good indication of a strong maiden field if some others he beat won next time
Things not looked at - jockeys, weights, beyer speed figures. A few exceptions with the first two cited.
in non winners of 2 i always look to see if any horses that finished second and third in the horse's maiden victory won next out. there's strong maiden fields and weak one's. if somebody from the field won next out at least you know he beat another racehorse in his win.

bisket
07-25-2009, 11:36 AM
Before I look at the date...I make sure I'm looking at a copy of the Racing Form and not, say, the Wall Street Journal.
i've purchased the form for the wrong day and handicapped the whole card myself. luckily i was betting on line, and didn't go all the way to the track. :blush:

jasperson
07-25-2009, 11:43 AM
The thing a lot of newcomers and some old timers :eek: bypass is at the top of the page.
The key is learning how to read the conditions for the race,and read it all,it's the hated instruction book.
Then proceed to the PP's.
Not every race is the Kentucky Derby.

I start at the top of the page with a black marker. I write down the distance, class and par for the race so I don't forget them. Then with the marker I write for each horse his speed rating in his last race and his best of his last 4. Then I start over with the first and mark whether he is moving up down or in the same class as his last race. Next I read the comments and highlight trouble lines. With this done I start handicapping the race
Jack