PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow's Third At Woodbine

Horseplayersbet.com
07-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Unbelievable. A $100,000 purse for that field????????

46zilzal
07-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Unbelievable. A $100,000 purse for that field????????
Hell Maiden Special Weights run on Queen's Plate day are 65K.

Some of our medium stakes races in Vancouver are only 50K

They have some of the highest purses in North America.
This is a race for nonwinners of a stakes for $60K so it is a good field

Horseplayersbet.com
07-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Hell Maiden Special Weights run on Queen's Plate day are 65K.

Some of our medium stakes races in Vancouver are only 50K

They have some of the highest purses in North America.
This is a race for nonwinners of a stakes for $60K so it is a good field
I don't buy the DRF (I use TSN pps instead).

Just curious how high the Beyer ratings are for these fillies and mares.

To me, there isn't a horse in the race who could win a 50,000 open filly and mare claiming race at Keeneland or even Gulfstream.

46zilzal
07-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Purses are NORMALLY Inflated at any venue which uses RACINO revenue to prop up the structure. That is why the old Kelco Class Calculator would be a disaster today.

One cannot compare Poly directly to Gulfstream's dirt and a 50 K class means nothing. That is a man made distinction. Depending on the match up, a 25K horse could beat a 80K field i.e. alone on the lead

Horseplayersbet.com
07-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Purses are NORMALLY Inflated at any venue which uses RACINO revenue to prop up the structure. That is why the old Kelco Class Calculator would be a disaster today.

One cannot compare Poly directly to Gulfstream's dirt and a 50 K class means nothing. That is a man made distinction. Depending on the match up, a 25K horse could beat a 80K field i.e. alone on the lead
It is a turf race, but the current numbers for this field is indication that Woodbine is failing to attract the horses they wish to attract by having such high purses, or the person who writes the book is unaware of the racing population or has carded a race that conflicts with others in the USA.
Sure purses are inflated at Woodbine, but this one is a joke considering the field. They would be better served trimming more off the higher pursed races and putting more money into the lower end races.
This would increase the chances that new owners or small owners could make money....and it the new owners or small partnerships which represents potential growth, because they tend to bring lots of friends and families to the track.

46zilzal
07-24-2009, 11:35 AM
This would increase the chances that new owners or small owners could make money....and it the new owners or small partnerships which represents potential growth, because they tend to bring lots of friends and families to the track.
Management interested in SMALL owners? You have to be kidding!

We have many barns that ship there. They win ONE and their expenses are covered for 6 months.

Five or six barns rule the roost there, and at most big venues

Disregarding scratches, that race looks to be amongst :6: :1: :5: :2:

Horseplayersbet.com
07-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Management interested in SMALL owners? You have to be kidding!

We have many barns that ship there. They win ONE and their expenses are covered for 6 months.

Five or six barns rule the roost there, and at most big venues

Disregarding scratches, that race looks to be amongst :6: :1: :5: :2:
Just checked the changes on HPI.
Here are the conditions listed for today:
Turf Condition: Off
Track Condition: Frozen :lol: :lol: :lol:

46zilzal
07-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Off the turf changes the whole ball game then.

I was told that the Polycrap (which looks like what come out of a torn vacuum cleaner bag) could not freeze.

Have you ever gone down to a course and looked at that junk. No wonder some wear masks.

Now two has a much better chance in this field, but would probably pass

BUT how many race tracks have fields of 14 these days? In Toronto it happens regularly.

Horseplayersbet.com
07-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Off the turf changes the whole ball game then.

I was told that the Polycrap (which looks like what come out of a torn vacuum cleaner bag) could not freeze.

What element freezes at 72 degrees F?

macguy
07-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Woodbine has been in its own little world for quite a few years now. Their purses really are out of touch with the average quality of the horses that run there.

Other than the few trainers that winter at GP or FG, you generally don't see many of the WO horses racing at other venues.

I suppose with purses where they are, and the meet as long as it is, WO trainers have little need to ship to other venues.

46zilzal
07-24-2009, 01:47 PM
It was to be a prep for The Victorian stakes

onefast99
07-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Take 10% off for the exchange rate and it is only 90k but still a decent size purse for this group.