PDA

View Full Version : And now the new purse structure for the Haskell!

onefast99
07-23-2009, 06:08 PM
1.25m is the new total purse an additional 250k has been added.
1st PLACE 700k
2nd PLACE 250K
3RD PLACE 125K
4TH PLACE 85K
5TH PLACE 50K
6TH THRU LAST PLACE 20K

onefast99
07-23-2009, 06:17 PM
The horses that are likely going are as follows:

Rachel A
Summerbird
Papaclem(95%)Bejarano cannot ride him so look for T Baze
Bunker Hill
Atomic rain(unlikely but you never know with this group)
Munnings(Pletcher will run)

bisket
07-23-2009, 06:17 PM
i've heard from a few places that monmouth may be a place where zen and rachel may meet. has anyone heard or read anything to that effect. i know the mosses don't want to go to new york because they've had bad experiences with the detention barn, so monmouth may be an alternative. the race would take place the same weekend as the monmouth stakes last year. closing day

bisket
07-23-2009, 06:18 PM
rachel easily

onefast99
07-23-2009, 06:48 PM
i've heard from a few places that monmouth may be a place where zen and rachel may meet. has anyone heard or read anything to that effect. i know the mosses don't want to go to new york because they've had bad experiences with the detention barn, so monmouth may be an alternative. the race would take place the same weekend as the monmouth stakes last year. closing day
Closing day this year is the Big Brown Stakes, I haven't heard of these two meeting at MP unless it is a match race which would be nice.

ghostyapper
07-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Nice job by monmouth here. They got the star but didn't quit there, now they're trying to ensure a full field with this purse bump.

Bluto Blutarsky
07-23-2009, 07:26 PM
The increased monies was a part of a strategy to put increased pressure on the connections of Mine That Bird to come to The Haskell and get a fuller field.
In addition, the NJ Sports Exposition Authority (owners of Monmouth Park)feel that it must put on a high-caliber, 50,000 attendance day with legislators attending, to showcase Monmouth Park-that the track is in fact worth investing in for the future. Rachel coming pretty much assures that 50,000 people will come, but now they are pretty dependent on the weather and the health of the filly.
Shame on the connections for Mine That Bird for not coming and doing what is right for the overall health of the industry by putting all three Triple Crown winners together in the same race, something that would put the horse race in that national spotlight we all want and put horse racing as the lead story on all sports broadcasts.

onefast99
07-23-2009, 09:17 PM
The increased monies was a part of a strategy to put increased pressure on the connections of Mine That Bird to come to The Haskell and get a fuller field.
In addition, the NJ Sports Exposition Authority (owners of Monmouth Park)feel that it must put on a high-caliber, 50,000 attendance day with legislators attending, to showcase Monmouth Park-that the track is in fact worth investing in for the future. Rachel coming pretty much assures that 50,000 people will come, but now they are pretty dependent on the weather and the health of the filly.
Shame on the connections for Mine That Bird for not coming and doing what is right for the overall health of the industry by putting all three Triple Crown winners together in the same race, something that would put the horse race in that national spotlight we all want and put horse racing as the lead story on all sports broadcasts.
I agree with you in theory, MTB was the one MP was after and they didn't get him. The purse increase was a nice idea to draw a few more contenders.

Indulto
07-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Shame on the connections for Mine That Bird for not coming and doing what is right for the overall health of the industry by putting all three Triple Crown winners together in the same race, something that would put the horse race in that national spotlight we all want and put horse racing as the lead story on all sports broadcasts.IMO Mine That Bird has little chance against tactical speed at MTH. The same argument for Triple Crown solidarity could be made about the Travers which I believe both birds have targeted, but not Rachel. In either case her HOTY hopes may take a hit if she has to hunt rabbits early which is likely to happen regardless of which side of the Hudson River the reunion takes place.

Should that occur, her owner would have to overcome his aversion to plastic and roll his stones out west to try and gather glory at Mr. Moss's expense. Unlike Curlin, Ms. Alexandra has a positive prior plastic performance in her PPs. RA vs. Z against the bird boys and better in the BC Classic would be the ideal scenario for industry health-conscious individuals if only the health of the horses could hold out that long.

alhattab
07-23-2009, 10:58 PM
Nice job by monmouth here. They got the star but didn't quit there, now they're trying to ensure a full field with this purse bump.

I like this move because it appropriately allocates more stakes $ to the Mth meet away from Club Med. According to Form article there is no change in Mth/Med stakes $ so supposition is money must be coming out of Med stakes program- probably Med Cup (sched for $350k) and maybe the Pegasus (sched for $150k in November).

There is no reason for any meaningful races to be run at Club Med. Yes I know the Med Cup has spawned some BC runners but I really don't think going forward this is very likely. Just run a nice meet with some overnight stakes so the locals can make a few bucks.

Indulto
07-23-2009, 11:19 PM
I like this move because it appropriately allocates more stakes $ to the Mth meet away from Club Med. According to Form article there is no change in Mth/Med stakes $ so supposition is money must be coming out of Med stakes program- probably Med Cup (sched for $350k) and maybe the Pegasus (sched for $150k in November).

There is no reason for any meaningful races to be run at Club Med. Yes I know the Med Cup has spawned some BC runners but I really don't think going forward this is very likely. Just run a nice meet with some overnight stakes so the locals can make a few bucks.The Meadowlands Cup would not be a popular prep race for the plastic Classic. IMO the money would be better used as bonuses for full fields.

Doc
07-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Kudos to the Mine That Bird camp for sticking to their guns and running at Mountaineer. The gelding has a better chance of winning there than on Monmouth's speed-favoring strip, anyway. :ThmbUp:

rokitman
07-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Is MTB supposed to be pointing to the Travers?

point given
07-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Is MTB supposed to be pointing to the Travers?

Yes. shipping to Saratoga after the W.V. race.