PDA

View Full Version : Some Help Understanding Please

Java Gold@TFT
07-23-2009, 08:15 AM
I primarily follow TB's but do go to Saratoga Harness about once a month. We are going tonight so I printed the PP's last night and looked at them this morning (I usually bet visually but I always want to know what I'm looking for in advance.) Anyway, what's the deal with all of these NYSS Late closers tonight? I realize it's a series and promotes the industry but these purses for pathetic 3yo fillies seem absurd to me. Average purses at Saratoga on a Thursday night are probably $4-5,000. All of these races are getting $12K purses while they are loaded with maidens and NW2 candidates. The vast majority would be lucky to break a 2:00 mile. Where is this money coming from and why would anyone think that an 0 for 11 horse coming out of a $4K NW1 should be competing in races like these? If I owned her I would think about putting the #1 2yo in the 1st race up against some of these fields and she's a first time starter.

Any insight would be appreciated as I don't follow the circuit on a daily basis.

wilderness
07-23-2009, 09:07 AM
NY Sire Stakes (http://www.nysirestakes.com/)

About the NY Sire Stakes (http://www.nysirestakes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=52&Itemid=73)

NYSS Payment Schedule (http://www.nysirestakes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=42&Itemid=63)

wilderness
07-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Most stakes are primarily funded by sustaining fees (payments).

Some tracks supplement with "added funds", although in most instances the "added" are not noted in the past performances, as they are in the racing form descriptions.

The recent years VLT's have also added some additional funds to states/provinces stakes programs, at least were legislation allowed a percentage of allocation to support the individual state/province breeding program. (PA has a multi-tier program with different categories of breeding requirements; depending upon the location of sire, dam and foal either prior to the actual breeding, during and even afterwards.)

Ben White (http://www.mi-harness.com/publct/bnwhte.html) often said, "We are racing the stakes for our own money anyhow, so let's forget the fans and mutuel handle and get on with our purpose in life. Let's just race horses."
end of quote

Considering the on-track attendance and handle at most Standardbred tracks today, it seems Ben White's wish has materialized.

Java Gold@TFT
07-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the info but I'd still rather see places bring back Grand Circuit Week instead of some of this. I watched replays of all of last weeks races at Monticello for this group and they were largely uninspiring. At least when I was younger and grand circuit week would come to Saratoga I would go 3 or 4 days and see horses like Niatross. Oh well, I'll still be there but the betting will be tough with a bunch of 6 horse field and a heavy favorite.

wilderness
07-23-2009, 01:18 PM
NYSS and GC are two different venues.

Grand Circuit racing does not exist at as many locations as it once did.
There was a recent round of GC racing at Tioga, via the Tompkins-Geers.
Believe Jimmy Morrill won 8-races on that card.

wilderness
07-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the info but I'd still rather see places bring back Grand Circuit Week instead of some of this. I watched replays of all of last weeks races at Monticello for this group and they were largely uninspiring. At least when I was younger and grand circuit week would come to Saratoga I would go 3 or 4 days and see horses like Niatross. Oh well, I'll still be there but the betting will be tough with a bunch of 6 horse field and a heavy favorite.

What on earth leaves you with the impression that the NYSS races are being contested to benefit (or receive feedback from) the wagering public?

The sole intent of the NYSS Circuit is to promote breeding of Standardbreds within the state of NY.

What little audience that is present (wagering or not) is irrelevant to those owners and breeders. And in most instances drivers and trainers :(

Java Gold@TFT
07-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Call me naive or whatever else. I will always belive that it is the business of generating handle that should be a priority to racing facilities. I am well aware of how many people are in the stands each night and what the pool sizes are but that doesn't mean you have to put on shoddy racing. Saratoga makes more money on food than wagers and the slots rule the world so I know that the majority of the people don't ever see a horse after getting out of their cars. Also, I wasn't saying that the NYSS was the same as Grand Circuit - it's just that I miss the latter up here.